AirTv-Mini With Remote and Sling DVR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By crabboy

post #1 of 7 Old 08-08-2019, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
AirTv-Mini With Remote and Sling DVR

I purchased the AirTV-Mini the first day it became available (my DVR+ is still working great), but I wanted to be able to record Slings CNN. I also wanted a remote control for Sling. The MINI is working great, the interface is far better than all three other systems that I tried and returned. The the remote is exactly what I wanted. The button control of all Sling functions instead of a tablet or phone is perfect, plus full remote control of Netflix functions and Google voice stuff.

PS, I paid full price for the first MINI and then I ran across a get one free if you pay 2 months in advance deal, witch is free. GREAT DEAL.

Last edited by jsutton2871; 08-08-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-27-2019, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutton2871 View Post
...but I wanted to be able to record Slings CNN.
I am intrigued that that statement. How does the Mini allow you to record CNN, if you could not record it on the other device?

I just got an AirTV Mini as well, and took advantage of the pay two months in advance and get it for free offer. It is very speedy and the picture quality is excellent!

mobilelawyer

Vizio M65-E0, Intel NUC 7i5BNH, HD Homerun Connect Quatro, Onkyo TX-NR575
TiVo Bolt Vox, Roku Ultra, AirTV Mini, Fire TV Stick 4K, Netflix, Netflix, Prime, Hulu, SlingTV
post #3 of 7 Old 08-27-2019, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilelawyer View Post
I am intrigued that that statement. How does the Mini allow you to record CNN, if you could not record it on the other device?

I just got an AirTV Mini as well, and took advantage of the pay two months in advance and get it for free offer. It is very speedy and the picture quality is excellent!
MobileLawyer, you can record Sling stations using the Sling DVR ($5.oo per month). I record CNN, this was the only way that was possable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-27-2019, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2868 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
To be precise, "cable" stations like CNN are recorded on Sling's "cloud" DVR, not on the device itself.

Cloud DVR costs $5/mo., and there are some restrictions on how long you can keep recordings, but it's available to anyone with a Sling subscription, even if not using an AirTV.

(Cloud DVR was never available to DVR+ owners; the updated app would have required a firmware upgrade, and Sling instead chose to just shut the DVR+'s Sling app down completely. )

What the AirTV adds is the ability to record local OTA stations. These are recorded on the device. There are no costs or time restrictions (except the one-time cost and capacity of a hard drive, of course) for local recordings.

The Sling app renders all of this transparent. You just tell the app what to record, and it picks the appropriate DVR function depending on whether the channel is OTA or "cable."
post #5 of 7 Old 09-23-2019, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
To be precise, "cable" stations like CNN are recorded on Sling's "cloud" DVR, not on the device itself.

Cloud DVR costs $5/mo., and there are some restrictions on how long you can keep recordings, but it's available to anyone with a Sling subscription, even if not using an AirTV.

(Cloud DVR was never available to DVR+ owners; the updated app would have required a firmware upgrade, and Sling instead chose to just shut the DVR+'s Sling app down completely. )

What the AirTV adds is the ability to record local OTA stations. These are recorded on the device. There are no costs or time restrictions (except the one-time cost and capacity of a hard drive, of course) for local recordings.

The Sling app renders all of this transparent. You just tell the app what to record, and it picks the appropriate DVR function depending on whether the channel is OTA or "cable."
Since they don't have locals, does Sling offer OTA OnDemand shows like Hulu and PSVue does? Uses data, but you don't have to buy a DVR for OTA either. Can't find that answer so I'm guessing no.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-23-2019, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2868 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Well, the original idea behind "skinny bundles" like Sling was not to include local channels. The idea was instead to supplement local channels (received via antenna) with traditional cable channels delivered via the Internet.

So when I first subscribed to the Sling Blue package, I was surprised that Sling did have a few of my local stations: IIRC they had the local NBC, Fox, Univision, and Unimas affiliates. No AirTV required (it didn't even exist yet). I suspect Sling Orange might have had ABC. (You can subscribe to both, but that costs $40/mo. vs. the typical $25/mo. for just one package.) It's nowhere near a complete local channel package, but I wasn't expecting any local channels at all.

I assumed those channels could be recorded via Sling's "cloud DVR" just like any other Sling channels, but since I never subscribed to Sling's cloud DVR I never could try it.

If you're looking to get both local and cable channels over the Internet and have no interest in receiving anything with an antenna, Sling TV probably isn't your best choice, unless you're interested in only the few OTA channels they happen to include. Instead, you might check out your local cable company. Mine (Spectrum) offers any stations you subscribe to, including many shows on-demand, via Internet; you don't even need a cable box.

However, Spectrum doesn't provide a "cloud" DVR; if you want to record, you'd either need one of theirs or one that accepts a CableCard (i.e., TiVo). If you don't want a DVR but on-demand offerings aren't good enough, PS Vue may be about the only choice that provides both local channels via Internet and a cloud DVR.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-23-2019, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
....when I first subscribed to the Sling Blue package, I was surprised that Sling did have a few of my local stations: IIRC they had the local NBC, Fox, Univision, and Unimas affiliates....
If you don't want a DVR but on-demand offerings aren't good enough, PS Vue may be about the only choice that provides both local channels via Internet and a cloud DVR.
Sling only has (some) locals in some markets.

Another option is You Tube TV, which has locals (and a cloud DVR). There are a few gaps that make YTTV unusable to me, but it may be sufficient for some.
JHBrandt likes this.

Indirectly Outta Compton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page