Device that can manually add channels and frequencys to? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JHBrandt

post #1 of 2 Old 09-15-2019, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Device that can manually add channels and frequencys to?

Basically I'm just wondering if there is a device that I can set up my own guide with. Manually add the channels, update the frequencies when they change, and record. I have a USB tuner for the computer, but WinTV8 doesn't have that option I don't think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-15-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2828 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
The cheap mStar-based tuners/DVRs (iView, HomeWorx, ViewTV, etc.) all let you manually scan TV channels one frequency at a time. So does the old (but still good) DTVPal DVR (aka the CM-7000Pal). You can also do a full auto-scan, then delete unwanted channels, to get a quick start. However the program guides on all these devices come from broadcast PSIP data only.

A Channel Master DVR+ (CM-7500) will also let you manually scan channels, and has an Internet-based guide that goes off your Zip code and the display channel numbers, so it doesn't care about the actual frequency. Its only weakness (with current firmware) is the inability to delete unwanted channels if you do a full auto-scan; you can only "hide" them.

All of these are worth looking at if you're dealing with translator stations or equipment that changes the RF frequency of digital channels. But none let you attach your "own" guide data to a channel. For that you need PC-based PVR software. I know Windows Media Center will do it, if you can find a copy of Windows that came with it. You'd have to decline the Microsoft-based guide and provide your own via an .xmltv file.
Matthew Hawkins likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page