Tivo Edge thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #31 of 63 Old 12-12-2019, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The new Edge does a couple of things much better than my old Romio Pro.
The Netflix and Amazon apps are very fast - no more watching the circle waiting and waiting.

The other good improvement is that when you jump 15 seconds or any of the fast forward then play features, it is much crisper and no delay. Better for watching football as an example.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 63 Old 12-13-2019, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
There is a concerning review on Amazon regarding the edge working with Plasma TVs. Has anyone had this issue?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B07YD24GZC
hollisesco likes this.
post #33 of 63 Old 12-13-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1443
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdigital View Post
There is a concerning review on Amazon regarding the edge working with Plasma TVs. Has anyone had this issue?

You need to be more specific. The problem appears to be not specifically with plasma TV's but with older HDTV's that do no have HDCP 2.2 support on their HDMI ports.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 63 Old 12-13-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
You need to be more specific. The problem appears to be not specifically with plasma TV's but with older HDTV's that do no have HDCP 2.2 support on their HDMI ports.
I still use a Panasonic U50 from 2012 so I'd be right on the timeline the review mentioned. I cannot tell what version of hdmi my inputs are as the specs don't seem to indicate. Am considering the Edge as an upgrade to my Roamio box.
post #35 of 63 Old 12-13-2019, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
I still use a Panasonic U50 from 2012 so I'd be right on the timeline the review mentioned. I cannot tell what version of hdmi my inputs are as the specs don't seem to indicate. Am considering the Edge as an upgrade to my Roamio box.
If HDMI doesn't work, could you use component cables? Aren't they almost the same quality picture?

Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996
post #36 of 63 Old 12-13-2019, 12:02 PM

For a 1080p Plasma, yes. That would just create more hoops to jump through as I run everything to an AV receiver then to the tv. I will just hold off on purchasing until either the TV or the Roamio Unit fails.
post #37 of 63 Old 12-13-2019, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 107
As far as I'm concerned, the last great TiVo is the Series 3. The last good one is the Premiere.

Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996
post #38 of 63 Old 12-13-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked: 4406
Quote:

Defective unit, is not a protection issue. A real HDMI issue would have no video at all.
pvdigital likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #39 of 63 Old 12-14-2019, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsercs View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the last great TiVo is the Series 3. The last good one is the Premiere.
Um, really? The 6-tuner Roamios blew both of them away, everything else is just a little more speed.
mrsean and mik2h like this.
post #40 of 63 Old 12-14-2019, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Kober View Post
The new Edge does a couple of things much better than my old Romio Pro.
The Netflix and Amazon apps are very fast - no more watching the circle waiting and waiting.

The other good improvement is that when you jump 15 seconds or any of the fast forward then play features, it is much crisper and no delay. Better for watching football as an example.
For the first I use sticks or my TV apps with no delay, for the second my Roamio is instant jump with 30-sec skip forward and 7 back. Don't know how it could be enough faster to really matter, and I skip through sports all the time.

Again, is the Edge worth the extra scratch? Maybe if you never owned a Tivo.
post #41 of 63 Old 12-15-2019, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
For the first I use sticks or my TV apps with no delay, for the second my Roamio is instant jump with 30-sec skip forward and 7 back. Don't know how it could be enough faster to really matter, and I skip through sports all the time.

Again, is the Edge worth the extra scratch? Maybe if you never owned a Tivo.
--

I agree. And the new "off-kilter" housing design looks as bad or worse than the Bolt.
post #42 of 63 Old 12-26-2019, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

The Bolt had the same issue. The workaround was to buy an HDMI splitter for around $20 from Amazon.
post #43 of 63 Old 12-27-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrebber View Post
The Bolt had the same issue. The workaround was to buy an HDMI splitter for around $20 from Amazon.
Interesting, thanks for the reply.
post #44 of 63 Old 01-11-2020, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 94
According to this review:
https://www.techhive.com/article/345...ge-review.html
Tivo Edge started inserting ads into owner's recordings:
So it was a bit surprising when, a couple of months ago, TiVo started stuffing preroll ads into users’ DVR recordings. These ads have not turned up on my review unit, and unofficially, you may be able to disable them with a call to customer service. Still, stomping on a sacrosanct element of the DVR experience is either a tone-deaf decision or a sign that current customers don’t matter in the grand scheme of TiVo’s business.

Has this happened to anyone here?

Thanks,

Scott
mik2h likes this.
post #45 of 63 Old 01-12-2020, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone using TE4 (latest UI that comes with the Edge) will see these as Tivo rolls them out.
post #46 of 63 Old 01-14-2020, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post
According to this review:
https://www.techhive.com/article/345...ge-review.html
Tivo Edge started inserting ads into owner's recordings:
So it was a bit surprising when, a couple of months ago, TiVo started stuffing preroll ads into users’ DVR recordings. These ads have not turned up on my review unit, and unofficially, you may be able to disable them with a call to customer service. Still, stomping on a sacrosanct element of the DVR experience is either a tone-deaf decision or a sign that current customers don’t matter in the grand scheme of TiVo’s business.

Has this happened to anyone here?

Thanks,

Scott
I was getting the pre-roll ads on my Bolt too. I already had a raspberry pi on my network and installed pi-hole, https://pi-hole.net. The ads are gone, not only on my TiVo but elsewhere as well. YMMV.

-Drew
pilotart likes this.
post #47 of 63 Old 01-19-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl001 View Post
I was getting the pre-roll ads on my Bolt too. I already had a raspberry pi on my network and installed pi-hole, https://pi-hole.net. The ads are gone, not only on my TiVo but elsewhere as well. YMMV.

-Drew
Ah, so it looks like we would just need to block the sites that the ads come at the router/firewall level. Do you know what sites the TiVo is pulling ads from?

Scott
post #48 of 63 Old 01-19-2020, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Ah, so it looks like we would just need to block the sites that the ads come at the router/firewall level. Do you know what sites the TiVo is pulling ads from?

Scott
Sorry, I do not know the specific sites.

-Drew
post #49 of 63 Old 01-21-2020, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
Do you know what sites the TiVo is pulling ads from?
For guide ads you can block mm1.tivoservice.com. It's best (for a variety of reasons) to block it at boot time and then remove the block. Further details along with the sites for the other ads are detailed at tivocommunity.com.

| JVC RS2000 125" Projection - Denon 5.2.4 Audio - Shield TV PRO / 65" LG OLED TV - TiVo - Fire TV 4K |
| ODROID-N2 Ubuntu Media Server | Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #50 of 63 Old 03-02-2020, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
As to the hdcp issues i fought them for weeks with my bolt and new optoma uhd52alv projector. Couldn’t find a cheap splitter that stripped hdcp so ended up with an expensive hdcp solver. TiVo sends 2 handshakes, one for cable/ota and one for streaming. They last longer than the standard handshake. Been working with optoma to hopefully resolve this without a hdcp solution in between.
post #51 of 63 Old 04-13-2020, 03:34 PM

Liked: 11
I recently purchased a cable EDGE after using Windows Media Center since 2004. The only thing that REALLY bothers me is that there is no way to see a list of recordings by date/time. There is no way to eliminate the folders, so there is no way to watch in the exact order they were recorded. This is important as many of the prime time series have continuity between each show. I.E. Chicago Med, Fire, PD. Leaving that out is almost unbelievable to me.

My workaround is installing KMTTG on my laptop, then printing a list by date/time.

Can't believe I don't read more griping about this. Other than this unforgivable omission, I really love the EDGE.
post #52 of 63 Old 04-13-2020, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
I recently purchased a cable EDGE after using Windows Media Center since 2004. The only thing that REALLY bothers me is that there is no way to see a list of recordings by date/time. There is no way to eliminate the folders, so there is no way to watch in the exact order they were recorded. This is important as many of the prime time series have continuity between each show. I.E. Chicago Med, Fire, PD. Leaving that out is almost unbelievable to me.

My workaround is installing KMTTG on my laptop, then printing a list by date/time.

Can't believe I don't read more griping about this. Other than this unforgivable omission, I really love the EDGE.

Just hit the blue “B” circle button on the remote while in the My Shows menu and it will sort them in a variety of ways.
post #53 of 63 Old 04-13-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyClyde1115 View Post
Just hit the blue “B” circle button on the remote while in the My Shows menu and it will sort them in a variety of ways.
It will sort in a few different ways, but not by date/time for each show. Nothing that overcomes my problem. If I had not discovered KMTTG the EDGE would not be acceptable to me.
post #54 of 63 Old 04-13-2020, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1443
It will sort recordings within a folder by date/time and it will sort folders by date/time using the timestamp of the most recent recording in each folder. But if you want to remove folder groupings and just display a huge list of all recordings -- well, that it won't do.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #55 of 63 Old 04-14-2020, 02:59 PM

I understand all those options, but they can not tell you your oldest recording. It would help if there was an option to list the folders by oldest show contained in that folder, but the only option is newest show. Even then, to correctly watch something like Chicago Med, Fire and PD you also need to sort them by time, since they are all on the same day of the week. Oh well, I have submitted the request to TIVO, and am printing my list from kmttg, so I can get by just fine. Windows Media Center shows a list by date/time as an option, just expected the latest TIVO to do the same.

I would think there are a significant number of users that have the same issue, which to me is a HUGE issue for the use of TIVO. After doing a little research a few weeks ago, I think one of the older models had the option I want, but it was dropped. I have attached the list from the kmttg app so somebody that has the same issue can see the workaround.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kmttg.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	2710094  
post #56 of 63 Old 06-13-2020, 03:54 PM

On the Tivo store web site, the Tivo Edge for Antenna is showing as out-of-stock (Saturday, June 13, 3:53pm PST). Any idea if this is just a covid-19 supply chain issue, or if Tivo is updating/transferring to a newer model?

Thanks,

Scott
post #57 of 63 Old 06-20-2020, 08:01 PM

Well, it is June 20 and the Tivo Edge for Antenna is still showing as out-of-stock. Either they have supply-chain problems, or perhaps they are going to release a new version with a bigger disk (hey, I can hope can't I)

Scott
post #58 of 63 Old 06-21-2020, 07:30 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsercs View Post
The next TiVo hardware device release should be called the Brick.
I agree with it
BillyClyde1115 likes this.
post #59 of 63 Old 06-30-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
On the Tivo store web site, the Tivo Edge for Antenna is showing as out-of-stock (Saturday, June 13, 3:53pm PST). Any idea if this is just a covid-19 supply chain issue, or if Tivo is updating/transferring to a newer model?

Thanks,

Scott
It is now June 30 and the Tivo Edge for Antenna is still showing as out-of-stock. The Tivo Edge for Cable has continued to be in-stock during this time. Either they are having supply chain problems for the Edge-for-Antenna getting the RF tuner , or they are going to modify this model. Lets keep our fingers crossed. If they were discontinuing it, I'd assume they'd just pull the web page...

Scott

Last edited by 645824; 07-04-2020 at 12:07 PM.
post #60 of 63 Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page