Tivo Edge thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 2 Post By Keizer
  • 3 Post By Kelson
  • 4 Post By Kelson
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 10-01-2019, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 5,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Tivo Edge thread

Thought I'd start a new one to discuss perhaps the last Tivo retail DVR to be released.

https://www.tivo.com/products/edge-cable Cable Edge - $400 upfront, 6 tuners, 2TB HD. Service is $14.99/mo., $149.99/yr. or $550 lifetime.

https://www.tivo.com/products/edge-antenna OTA Edge - $350, 4 tuners, 2TB HD. Service is $6.99/mo, $69.99/yr., or $250 lifetime.

Yeah, don't ask why service is so much cheaper for OTA given that it's exactly the same. They're obviously trying to compete with all the other OTA DVR options out there whereas there's basically none on cable.

There was some hope/speculation that Tivo may have converted to Android TV but that's not the case, still using Tivo's proprietary OS. And that means that the apps included are limited compared to Rokus, Fire TV etc. (and often out of date). Note that these new boxes finally add Dolby Atmos and Vision HDR to their 4k support, which oddly never showed up on the Bolt's 4k capable apps. Perhaps newer apps will have HDR (at least) on both Bolt and Edge, but Tivo has always been at the mercy of Netflix, Amazon, YouTube etc. to keep the apps up-to-date and the Tivo OS is not a priority for them.

Also way better looking than the wacky Bolt, probably with much better cooling as well. Unfortunately these use 2.5" drives like the Bolt rather than the larger capacity, cheaper 3.5" HDs, which is a shame. The chassis looks big enough for them.

Finally, you are forced to use the new Tivo Experience 4 GUI with these (aka Hydra), cannot downgrade to TE3 as with other models. There are a lot of pros/cons to this UI compared to TE3, most important being that this will come with Tivo's new forced pre-roll ads before you play some of your recordings. These can be skipped however, and some folks over at TCF have had success calling/chatting with Tivo CS to get these removed after they show up. But very odd (and troubling) that a company that pitches auto ad-skip is actively trying to get you to watch THEIR ads now.

Given the $950 price for a cable Edge with lifetime service (aka All-In) and the very uncertain future of Cablecard I'll probably stick with my Roamio Plus.

Last edited by slowbiscuit; 10-01-2019 at 09:36 AM.
slowbiscuit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 Old 10-01-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gregoryperkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,581
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 260
This is nuts for pricing. My Roamio barely works with Spectrum. The tuning adapter sucks and I have to reboot both daily to make sure that the darn thing records. I'll not buy another box that requires a tuning adapter. I'd go over the top before I get another Tivo.

As far as OTA goes, are they aware of Plex? I already have one set up for ota recording and there are plex clients for everything! Repurpose any old pc and get a tuner...
gregoryperkins is offline  
post #3 of 28 Old 10-01-2019, 03:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Keizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 58
What the hell happened to the term"cutting the cord"? It used to mean we dumped our expensive cable/satellite service and went with really cheap/free alternatives. But now everyone is jumping on the band wagon and offering expensive cord cutting devices and expensive subscriptions for said device. Screw that! I cut the cord 10 years ago and it was about saving money. Now by the time you buy all these plastic boxes and their subscriptions you may as well just go back to cable/satellite. It's ridiculous.
arbegas and pilotart like this.
Keizer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 28 Old 10-01-2019, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 13,076
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Thought I'd start a new one to discuss perhaps the last Tivo retail DVR to be released.
Many people have been "predicting" that the Bolt was going to be the last TiVo hardware device.
So, yes, the new Edge will be the last TiVo released -- until they release the next one.
slowbiscuit, ipca204 and dj4monie like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #5 of 28 Old 10-01-2019, 11:43 PM
Senior Member
 
ncsercs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Westmont, IL
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 93
The next TiVo hardware device release should be called the Brick.

Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996
ncsercs is offline  
post #6 of 28 Old 10-02-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 12,611
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 821
My take is this was simply a hardware refresh based on its age I'm pretty sure a lot of components were EOL. And they took the opportunity to adjust the product line/offering given the chance.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
Charles R is offline  
post #7 of 28 Old 10-02-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 13,076
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
The case design of the Edge is better but still kind of weird. OK, so unlike the Bolt it is a flat component, but why the 2-segment offset case? Given the people they feature in the advertising videos they must still be going after millennials -- but why, they have no money?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #8 of 28 Old 10-02-2019, 12:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 148
How many mini’s can you connect and are the mini’s 4K/DV/atmos capable?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marantz SR7010 - Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3 - SeymourAV 16:9 Premier 130" XD - JVC DLA-RS540 - 7.2.4 - L/C/R DIY Fusion 15 Sentinel - Surrounds RSL CG3 - Ceiling Polk RC80i - Dual UM-18s in sealed 4 cu ft with bridged Crown XLS 2002s
klimo is offline  
post #9 of 28 Old 10-02-2019, 01:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
This is nuts for pricing. My Roamio barely works with Spectrum. The tuning adapter sucks and I have to reboot both daily to make sure that the darn thing records. I'll not buy another box that requires a tuning adapter. I'd go over the top before I get another Tivo.

As far as OTA goes, are they aware of Plex? I already have one set up for ota recording and there are plex clients for everything! Repurpose any old pc and get a tuner...
Yes. The tuning adapter does suck. I definitely don't have to restart every day. Couple times a month maybe?

Marantz SR7010 - Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3 - SeymourAV 16:9 Premier 130" XD - JVC DLA-RS540 - 7.2.4 - L/C/R DIY Fusion 15 Sentinel - Surrounds RSL CG3 - Ceiling Polk RC80i - Dual UM-18s in sealed 4 cu ft with bridged Crown XLS 2002s
klimo is offline  
post #10 of 28 Old 10-02-2019, 01:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Many people have been "predicting" that the Bolt was going to be the last TiVo hardware device.
So, yes, the new Edge will be the last TiVo released -- until they release the next one.
lol, yeah, there was a lot in that initial post that i disagreed with as well, with that being one of them. Tivo going to Android fud was another...

Oh, and "Hail Hydra!" It took me a bit to get used to it, but now that I have, I like it..
ipca204 is offline  
post #11 of 28 Old 10-02-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 13,076
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimo View Post
How many mini’s can you connect and are the mini’s 4K/DV/atmos capable?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For multi-room viewing, a Bolt can interconnect to 10 "boxes" and the Edge can handle 12. My understanding is that a "box" = a TiVo Mini or another TiVo. The Mini's can only capture n-1 of the parent TiVo's tuners (i.e. 3 or 5 for a 4 vs 6 tuner TiVo). One tuner always stays with the parent TiVo and if it is scheduled to record somethng it will steal a tuner back from a Mini if it needs it.

The TiVo Mini VOX handles 4K but I don't know about all the rest of that.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #12 of 28 Old 10-02-2019, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 13,076
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keizer View Post
What the hell happened to the term"cutting the cord"? It used to mean we dumped our expensive cable/satellite service and went with really cheap/free alternatives.
It evolved as streaming became popular. If you still want to "cut the cord", in the classic sense, you put up an antenna, watch OTA in real time for free and resign yourself to the cable channels you no longer have. Done -- you pay nothing.

Problem is, people now want more. They want to time shift so they want a DVR -- for that you have to pay to buy a "box". They want to get back the cable channels they really liked, so they stream tham -- for that you pay and may need to buy another box. The alternatives that started out cheap became mainstream and started charging market rates -- as predictable and inevitable as the complaints that followed. Option 1 -- classic cord-cutting, free OTA-TV -- is still on the table. It's just not very attractive to many people these days. If one does not insist on trying to duplicate what they had with cable, they don't have to buy all the little boxes or subscribe to anything.

As far as DVR's, there is a range of boxes/solutions that span the price points. At the low end, you can get a very inexpensive box with few features and works a lot of the time. At the high end you can get a TiVo which generally seems to just work without much fuss or attention. There's a bunch of options in between. A lot of people are obsessed with cheap and cringe at the thought of paying $500 for a Bolt OTA w/lifetime (ignoring for the moment that you can usually get them on sale a couple times a year). Call me old, but I remember paying that much for my first Sony VCR back in the early 80's -- in 80's dollars -- and being thrilled at being able to record a single show at a time on this giant tape cartridge. Given what it does and how reliably it does it, I've never had a problem paying the price for a TiVo.
markg35, ipca204, pilotart and 1 others like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #13 of 28 Old 10-02-2019, 05:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Keizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
It evolved as streaming became popular. If you still want to "cut the cord", in the classic sense, you put up an antenna, watch OTA in real time for free and resign yourself to the cable channels you no longer have. Done -- you pay nothing.

Problem is, people now want more. They want to time shift so they want a DVR -- for that you have to pay to buy a "box". They want to get back the cable channels they really liked, so they stream tham -- for that you pay and may need to buy another box. The alternatives that started out cheap became mainstream and started charging market rates -- as predictable and inevitable as the complaints that followed. Option 1 -- classic cord-cutting, free OTA-TV -- is still on the table. It's just not very attractive to many people these days. If one does not insist on trying to duplicate what they had with cable, they don't have to buy all the little boxes or subscribe to anything.

As far as DVR's, there is a range of boxes/solutions that span the price points. At the low end, you can get a very inexpensive box with few features and works a lot of the time. At the high end you can get a TiVo which generally seems to just work without much fuss or attention. There's a bunch of options in between. A lot of people are obsessed with cheap and cringe at the thought of paying $500 for a Bolt OTA w/lifetime (ignoring for the moment that you can usually get them on sale a couple times a year). Call me old, but I remember paying that much for my first Sony VCR back in the early 80's -- in 80's dollars -- and being thrilled at being able to record a single show at a time on this giant tape cartridge. Given what it does and how reliably it does it, I've never had a problem paying the price for a TiVo.
Oh I get it! What you're willing to pay for revolves around the amount of time you spend in front of your TV. I have a really good OTA antenna and I stream Netflix and other free channels with my Roku TV and Roku devices on my other two HDTV's. I watch local channels in the morning in my living room as I eat breakfast before work, and I watch streaming movies/shows at night as I fall asleep in my bedroom. My office HDTV is strictly for monitoring my property with my 4k security cameras. Maybe a netflix movie in the office from time to time but that's about it. $17.00/month out the door. True cord cutting in my home.

At this point in time they need to stop calling it cord cutting. Instead call it cord replacing.....because that's what it really boils down to.

Last edited by Keizer; 10-02-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Keizer is offline  
post #14 of 28 Old 10-03-2019, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 5,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
lol, yeah, there was a lot in that initial post that i disagreed with as well, with that being one of them. Tivo going to Android fud was another...
Android TV 'fud' was not that at all, merely speculation as I said. FUD is an effort to keep people from buying something, not something positive like porting to Android. If you don't like other stuff I pointed out, post your own.

A whole lot of folks are disappointed that they haven't made the effort to port to an OS that has wide apps support - if you read what folks are saying here and at TCF etc. the lack of decent apps is a serious weakness for Tivo and always has been. Not to mention that Tivo has always marketed itself as the 'One Box' that could handle everything which is at best an overstatement given the lack of 4k apps and just a lot of apps in general (like any popular TV streamer such as Youtube TV, Sling etc.). They've always been conflicted by not wanting to piss off their cable partners.

So, the hardware is certainly capable but Tivo has always been middling on the software side IMO. Outside of core DVR functions which they are the best at, the boxes are no match for even cheap Roku or Fire sticks.
slowbiscuit is offline  
post #15 of 28 Old 10-03-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 13,076
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keizer View Post
At this point in time they need to stop calling it cord cutting. Instead call it cord replacing.....because that's what it really boils down to.
I think it is pretty much accepted these days that the term "cord cutting" means canceling your Cable TV (or FIOS-TV) subscription and doing "something else".

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #16 of 28 Old 10-03-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 13,076
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2272 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
A whole lot of folks are disappointed that they haven't made the effort to port to an OS that has wide apps support - if you read what folks are saying here and at TCF etc.
I presume what people are suggesting is porting TE4 to Android-TV OS and not transitioning TiVo to the Android-TV Live Channels app. The latter would be a disaster.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #17 of 28 Old 10-03-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gregoryperkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,581
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimo View Post
Yes. The tuning adapter does suck. I definitely don't have to restart every day. Couple times a month maybe?
I was doing it every week with a smart plug, then I started missing programs and eventually plugged both in and rebooted every day. So far it seems to work, I do it at 5:55 or so and restart at 5:57.
gregoryperkins is offline  
post #18 of 28 Old 10-03-2019, 01:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Android TV 'fud' was not that at all, merely speculation as I said. FUD is an effort to keep people from buying something, not something positive like porting to Android. If you don't like other stuff I pointed out, post your own.

A whole lot of folks are disappointed that they haven't made the effort to port to an OS that has wide apps support - if you read what folks are saying here and at TCF etc. the lack of decent apps is a serious weakness for Tivo and always has been. Not to mention that Tivo has always marketed itself as the 'One Box' that could handle everything which is at best an overstatement given the lack of 4k apps and just a lot of apps in general (like any popular TV streamer such as Youtube TV, Sling etc.). They've always been conflicted by not wanting to piss off their cable partners.

So, the hardware is certainly capable but Tivo has always been middling on the software side IMO. Outside of core DVR functions which they are the best at, the boxes are no match for even cheap Roku or Fire sticks.
And "core DVR functions" are what people buy tivo for. Any other apps or bells and whistles are a bonus. Tivo will NEVER let go of their "middling software" and go to an open source format. I don't ever believe their was a rep from tivo that said they considering android tv or any other software. Sure there are plenty of people that WISH they would (myself included) but it won't happen.
I just wish they would go back to a standard box design like my old THX S3. Roamio was not terrible, Bolt design I always hated, and I would say that the Edge is on par with my old Roamio as far as aesthetics..

Your speculation that this may be "last Tivo retail DVR to be released" is also not true as well...Can we call that the fud part of my last post? :-)

At one point I knew about 14 people at Tivo but that has dwindled over the last ten years and I now have semi regular contact with about two people that have been there for quite a long time. Sometimes I get interesting tid bits ahead of time, sometimes not.
Back in the day I was PAID by tivo for my thoughts on their service (and replaytv) and how I thought it could be made better. Automatic commercial skip (which basically put replaytv out of business) was always a number 1 request, and look how long it took to get it working...
ipca204 is offline  
post #19 of 28 Old 10-03-2019, 01:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I presume what people are suggesting is porting TE4 to Android-TV OS and not transitioning TiVo to the Android-TV Live Channels app. The latter would be a disaster.
ha! can you even imagine that! disaster is an understatement..but it won't happen so we don't have to worry about it.
ipca204 is offline  
post #20 of 28 Old 10-03-2019, 01:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
I was doing it every week with a smart plug, then I started missing programs and eventually plugged both in and rebooted every day. So far it seems to work, I do it at 5:55 or so and restart at 5:57.
if it makes you feel any better i had issues with comast on the roamio as well. My tivo's are now regulated for OTA only and I can't remember the last time I had to reboot one. All of my stuff is on sine wave battery back ups as well.
ipca204 is offline  
post #21 of 28 Old 10-03-2019, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 5,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I presume what people are suggesting is porting TE4 to Android-TV OS and not transitioning TiVo to the Android-TV Live Channels app.
Yes, exactly.
slowbiscuit is offline  
post #22 of 28 Old 10-03-2019, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 5,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
Your speculation that this may be "last Tivo retail DVR to be released" is also not true as well...Can we call that the fud part of my last post? :-)
Maybe, we'll see if it's true or not - it's obvious that Cablecard's days are numbered. I don't think they can make it on OTA alone and they've shown zero IPTV access for retail, even though they issued a statement four years ago that they were working with Comcast on it.

I would be sad if the Edge was the last retail box, but would not be surprised given how much Tivo has lagged on innovation over the years.
slowbiscuit is offline  
post #23 of 28 Old 10-05-2019, 07:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Random question.

Anyone know if you can use the TiVo remote to bring up the TVs app screen? In my case a Sony. Or program one of the colored buttons to do it?

Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marantz SR7010 - Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3 - SeymourAV 16:9 Premier 130" XD - JVC DLA-RS540 - 7.2.4 - L/C/R DIY Fusion 15 Sentinel - Surrounds RSL CG3 - Ceiling Polk RC80i - Dual UM-18s in sealed 4 cu ft with bridged Crown XLS 2002s
klimo is offline  
post #24 of 28 Old 10-06-2019, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 5,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
No, you can't. You can only control TV power and volume, the colored buttons are for Tivo features only.
slowbiscuit is offline  
post #25 of 28 Old 10-07-2019, 11:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
No, you can't. You can only control TV power and volume, the colored buttons are for Tivo features only.


Bummer. Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marantz SR7010 - Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3 - SeymourAV 16:9 Premier 130" XD - JVC DLA-RS540 - 7.2.4 - L/C/R DIY Fusion 15 Sentinel - Surrounds RSL CG3 - Ceiling Polk RC80i - Dual UM-18s in sealed 4 cu ft with bridged Crown XLS 2002s
klimo is offline  
post #26 of 28 Old 10-09-2019, 11:37 AM
Member
 
Ozarks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Cedar Township, Ark.
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
... You can only control TV power and volume...
And TV Input.
Ozarks is offline  
post #27 of 28 Old 10-10-2019, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 5,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Yeah was going to mention that but the implementation on some TVs (mostly older) is poor, like having to cycle through all inputs or the input screen not going away etc.

TV power and volume are universally what's useful in other words.
slowbiscuit is offline  
post #28 of 28 Old 10-13-2019, 09:27 AM
Senior Member
 
645824's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 70
The Tivo Edge Antenna user guide:

https://www.tivo.com/content/dam/tiv...nna_OTA_US.pdf

has the graphic for the ports (see my attachment). The various ports are called out except for the two USB ports. There's no mention of them anywhere.

Perhaps Tivo hasn't figured out what to do with them yet... For me, since I want more than 2TB my first inclination would be to plug in an external hard-disk (or open up the Tivo and swap-out for a bigger hard disk). It took the Amazon Recast awhile before their external USB port was functional for external drives.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TivoEdge.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	2627346  
645824 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Recorders

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off