Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-28-2019, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
OTA and Stream DVR

Apologize if I'm in the wrong thread...

I am "cutting the cord"....I have OTA set up and working good...
I have a ROKU box set up on a gigabyte wired network...
I subscribe to Netflix...Prime...Acorn...
I will add either Hulu or Sling...maybe others...

What I am looking for is a DVR that will record programs both on OTA
and streaming thru my Roku box...

Open to suggestions...

Thank you in advance....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-29-2019, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

There is no legal DVR that can do that.You can buy a DVR that records your over-the-air programs, but there is no (legal) way to record programs that stream over the internet from Pluto, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. from your Roku.

There are some streaming services offering up cable channels like Philo, YouTube TV and Sling that have their own built in DVR service on some of the cable channels like Hallmark, HGTV, etc.

Sling's "AirTV" box might come close for you; you can record OTA channels and the DVR service from their cable channel packages is nicely integrated, but it's not really you recording those programs.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-30-2019, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks fshagan....

I've been thinking of using Sling...but did know of their ability to record OTA and Sling channells....The issue I have is recording our local PBS program....that OTA channel is not covered by any streaming channel that I can find....

The recording to the cloud is ok.....and maybe some inexpensive DVR to record OTA....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 11-30-2019, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks fshagan....

I've been thinking of using Sling...but did know of their ability to record OTA and Sling channells....The issue I have is recording our local PBS program....that OTA channel is not covered by any streaming channel that I can find....

The recording to the cloud is ok.....and maybe some inexpensive DVR to record OTA....

You have some options in that department. Some are network devices and others are stand-alone units that attach directly to your TV.

For the stand-alone units: Tivo Bolt is the one that is most like a cable company's DVR (but still only records OTA). You can get it with a lifetime guide, but it can be pricey. The Channel Master Stream+ requires an external hard drive, but will probably get you there cheaper even with that. It comes with Google's Live Channels app that is a free guide that goes out about 14 days (same type of guide as Tivo, so it will be familiar to those who used a cable box before). There are some cheaper "timer only" recording devices that are well under $100, but you can only set them to record "Wednesdays at 8 PM" and can't specify a specific show by name, or indicate it if should only record new shows like you can on the Tivo or Stream+.

Then there are network OTA DVRs. These attach to your home network, and stream the recorded or live OTA programs to any compatible streaming device at the TV. The Amazon Recast is on sale right now for about $120, but you have to pair it with a Firestick on your TV (your Roku won't work for the Recast). The Tablo is popular, and can stream to more devices. Both of those are pretty easy to set up.

The HD HomeRun requires a network storage device (NAS) or something like a Plex server, but it has a $35 a year DVR service. I don't like the guide on the HomeRun, as it's different than the familiar grid design.

I have an Amazon Recast and like it a lot. It actually replaced our Roku as it integrates OTA, and Prime, Netflix, Hulu, etc. as apps in the same interface, so you don't have to change inputs on the TV.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-01-2019, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks fshagan...
The Amazon Recast sounds like what I need....Integrates OTA and the primary streaming apps....

Is this what you are referring to ...???

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Recast-o...SIN=B074J1GPB8 ....???

I have the HD outdoor antenna....I have a NAS...I have Gigabit wired network...I have Roku....and if I want something that the Recast does not support I can easily
change inputs to the Roku...example Acorn is an app that does British...Australian and New Zealand movies...Roku has it but I don't know if I can get it on this Amazon system...

Reading thru the description....there appears to be several flaws....resolution of recorded programs....during fast action do you see a resolution reduction...???....is it objectionable...???
What would you say are it's flaws...???

Many thanks for your help...
Steve
post #6 of 16 Old 12-01-2019, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

fshagan....

You indicated that it integrates Prime...Netflix...Hulu etc....
But I am seeing comments in the Q& A section that says only OTA...

What is your experience...???
post #7 of 16 Old 12-01-2019, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks fshagan...
I have the HD outdoor antenna....I have a NAS...I have Gigabit wired network...I have Roku....and if I want something that the Recast does not support I can easily
change inputs to the Roku...example Acorn is an app that does British...Australian and New Zealand movies...Roku has it but I don't know if I can get it on this Amazon system...

Reading thru the description....there appears to be several flaws....resolution of recorded programs....during fast action do you see a resolution reduction...???....is it objectionable...???
What would you say are it's flaws...???

Acorn is on the Fire TV devices. One nice thing they do is a "continue watching" list that includes series on Acorn that you are watching (we subscribe to Acorn through Amazon, though, so I'm not positive they have the same functionality, but I think they do).

I don't see any resolution problems. I tried to see a difference between straight antenna hookup and the Recast playback, and didn't see anything. I checked live TV as well with a football game, and to me the two were identical (even though the football game was being broadcast in 1080i and the Recast transcodes it to 720p when streaming). People who are very particular about the image say they can tell the difference.

Sounds like you are a candidate for the HD Homerun if your NAS is compatible. It doesn't transcode the video to 720p and just passes it through. It works on your Roku as well for the TV part - but, the DVR service that provides the guide does cost $30 or $35 a year.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-04-2019, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

The AirTV is now $69 at Amazon, which seems to me to be a pretty good price. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BCGXZZ2

You have to add an external hard drive for the DVR functions, but if you're going to use Sling TV as your streamer for cable style channels the guide integrates OTA and Sling channels.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-04-2019, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks fshagan....
Taking a look....seems like it would work...
Still have not made the switch yet....studying options.....prolly get Sling in starting this weekend...
Try it for a month....then try Hulu for a month....See what I like....

Appreciate you help....
Steve
post #10 of 16 Old 12-04-2019, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Thanks fshagan....

....The issue I have is recording our local PBS program....that OTA channel is not covered by any streaming channel that I can find...
None of the streaming services offer PBS yet....YouTube TV is supposed to in the near future.
If you can get PBS by antenna that may be the best way to go. YTTV is good, but omits a few channels that I like. Sling has them but no locals. If you can get locals by antenna, I think Sling is the best way to go (and Sling integrates Air TV into their menu).

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #11 of 16 Old 12-04-2019, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Crabboy...
At this point....I get very good OTA channels...I get my local PBS station....and that's probably the only OTA I would want to record...
The rest of the OTA channels we seldom watch....but now I've got them...

I got Sling Blue today....I was surprised how good and clean the reception was....guess when I think of OTA I'm still thinking 1970's era...

Going to try Sling for a month...see how we like it....not cutting the cord just yet....wanna make sure cutting is what we really want to do...
Gonna experiment....might try Hulu.....part of it is thinking out "how" we are going to use it....
Sling has a good amount of "on demand" which I was not expecting...

Many thanks for your comments....
post #12 of 16 Old 12-05-2019, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
None of the streaming services offer PBS yet....YouTube TV is supposed to in the near future.
PBS has its own On Demand streaming app for nearly all streaming devices. If you are a PBS Passport member (i.e., if you contribute to your local PBS station) you can stream current and past shows including those from your local affiliate. You can even get a jump on whole series seasons (a la Netflix) instead of waiting for the next week.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-05-2019, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

danlshane....
I did NOT know that...

THANK YOU..!!!
post #14 of 16 Old 12-05-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Apologize if I'm in the wrong thread...

I am "cutting the cord"....I have OTA set up and working good...
I have a ROKU box set up on a gigabyte wired network...
I subscribe to Netflix...Prime...Acorn...
I will add either Hulu or Sling...maybe others...

Open to suggestions...

Thank you in advance....
Channels DVR will do what you want, thats what i am doing now and its fantastic.

https://getchannels.com/tv-everywhere/

here are the cavets, and ill be blunt, that for some reason lots of people in this forum are surprised at since were almost in 2020 and think things now still work like a vcr:

-need some knowledge on how things work like computing hardware, networking, codecs, etc. to set it up. well not really since its easy but some people are mad that nothing works when they are streaming OTA over 802.11b.

-$80 a year or $8 a month for the dvr software https://getchannels.com/plus/ that has to be installed on a nas or computer: https://getchannels.com/dvr-server/

-a hdhomerun if you want your OTA setup on Channels

-a streaming provider like hulu or sling for tv everywhere access. it does not record from netflix, amazon and the basic hulu type of services: https://getchannels.com/tv-everywhere/

-any popular device besides roku because roku's stink (my opinion) since it doesnt support the correct hls streaming format: https://getchannels.com/apps/

-------
Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - HDHomeRun Connect Quatro - 6 Apple TV's with Channels DVR | Plex Pass | Netflix | Amazon Prime Video | ESPN+ | Disney+ | Apple TV+ | Fios Gigabit with Ubiquiti Unifi Enterprise Network/Wifi/Surveillance System
post #15 of 16 Old 12-05-2019, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Aero 1....thanks...!!!
Good Idea...

Been reading and a few questions I have not been able to find the answers for....

I assume there is no "hardware device"....Like a traditional DVR.....but it saves everything you record in "the cloud"......Is this correct...???

Assuming that....

How large is the cloud space....can I save 50 hours....200 hours...????

How many recordings can I make at the same time....only one.....two....four....???

I have a Roku which I can dump....and use Channels for everything...
And right now I'm using the guide on Sling....but I understand all of this
can be run thru Channels...

I have the HD antenna and my OTA is working great...
I have 5 computers in the house....Windows and Linux....I have a NAS....and a gigabit wired network...
And a fair amount of computer knowledge....

So I would like to "DVR" my OTA and a few channels from Sling....

Many thanks for your post....
I think this gets me another step in the direction of CUTTING THE EXPENSIVE CORD...
post #16 of 16 Old 12-06-2019, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Aero 1....thanks...!!!
Good Idea...

Been reading and a few questions I have not been able to find the answers for....

I assume there is no "hardware device"....Like a traditional DVR.....but it saves everything you record in "the cloud"......Is this correct...???

Assuming that....

How large is the cloud space....can I save 50 hours....200 hours...????

How many recordings can I make at the same time....only one.....two....four....???

I have a Roku which I can dump....and use Channels for everything...
And right now I'm using the guide on Sling....but I understand all of this
can be run thru Channels...

I have the HD antenna and my OTA is working great...
I have 5 computers in the house....Windows and Linux....I have a NAS....and a gigabit wired network...
And a fair amount of computer knowledge....

So I would like to "DVR" my OTA and a few channels from Sling....

Many thanks for your post....
I think this gets me another step in the direction of CUTTING THE EXPENSIVE CORD...
no, it doesnt record on the cloud. the server gets installed on your nas or windows or linux pc. they do not sell hardware.

recordings go on your hardware so the limit is how much storage you have. and the server even does automatic commercial skip.

for ota recordings from an hdhomerun is limited by the number of tuners you have. either 4 or 2. Channels app has something called tuner sharing. so if 6 of your tv's is watching ota channel 4.1, it will only use 1 tuner for all 6 tv's. for recordings from sling in your case, its limited to your bandwidth, cpu, recordings space, etc. there is no limit.

keep in mind that probably not all sling channels will be available if you use Channels since it uses their respective TV Everywhere streams from the broadcasters website, and some channels like AMC dont have live streaming from their site. Channels doesnt usse Slings infrastructure, it uses your Sling account to login into respective websites and streams it.

this site will tell you which service has TV Everywhere capabilities therefore showing you which ones will work in Channels: https://thestreamable.com/tv-everywhere-apps

they have a free trail, try it out.

-------
Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - HDHomeRun Connect Quatro - 6 Apple TV's with Channels DVR | Plex Pass | Netflix | Amazon Prime Video | ESPN+ | Disney+ | Apple TV+ | Fios Gigabit with Ubiquiti Unifi Enterprise Network/Wifi/Surveillance System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page