LG LST-3410A Review and Discussion - Page 245 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #7321 of 7323 Old 09-25-2019, 12:09 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 33
@Jan J ,
What kind of antenna(s) are you using? Is one with high-VHF elements aimed at WLOS? Do you have more recent tuners (in a TV, maybe, or a recent HDHomeRun)? If so, can they receive WLOS OK? What about WUNF (RF 25), the PBS station on the same tower? You might not be able to get that anyway; it has a directional antenna and doesn't push much signal toward Waynesville. AFAIK neither station is involved in a repack channel change but if either is doing tower work both would have to reduce power temporarily.

I have 2 2nd-generation and 2 4th-gen HDHomeRuns. After the recent repack, one of the stations showed good signal strength but poor signal quality. The older HDHRs wouldn't lock onto it but the newer ones would. It didn't occur to me to try my 3410A since I rarely turn it on anymore. 2 old TVs (RCA and Vizio) and a recent LG projector were OK with it as well. And after a couple of weeks the problem was fixed. So it's certainly true that newer tuners are better able to hang onto problematic signals than older ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7322 of 7323 Old 09-28-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
@Jan J ,
What kind of antenna(s) are you using? Is one with high-VHF elements aimed at WLOS? Do you have more recent tuners (in a TV, maybe, or a recent HDHomeRun)? If so, can they receive WLOS OK? What about WUNF (RF 25), the PBS station on the same tower? You might not be able to get that anyway; it has a directional antenna and doesn't push much signal toward Waynesville. AFAIK neither station is involved in a repack channel change but if either is doing tower work both would have to reduce power temporarily.

I have 2 2nd-generation and 2 4th-gen HDHomeRuns. After the recent repack, one of the stations showed good signal strength but poor signal quality. The older HDHRs wouldn't lock onto it but the newer ones would. It didn't occur to me to try my 3410A since I rarely turn it on anymore. 2 old TVs (RCA and Vizio) and a recent LG projector were OK with it as well. And after a couple of weeks the problem was fixed. So it's certainly true that newer tuners are better able to hang onto problematic signals than older ones.
UHF antenna.
They are on 13
Have not tried bypassing amp yet. But all other channels are ok
On 2 different 3410a.

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle
post #7323 of 7323 Old 10-13-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Way back when.... when I worked at WLSTV in Chicago, we changed encoders and our 3410a’s stopped receiving WLS, and it turned out to be a video setting in data.... at that time their were 4 engineers at WLS (Including CE) who had 3410a’s or predecessor, so we fixed it in a couple days. We were also helped by Zenith engineers who had 3410a’s too.

I never was given specifics of what was found, Zenith is no more, and I Bet LG has moved on too.
But it was something to do with black level in data.

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders