New JVC DVHS Decks ( HM-DH5U and HM-DT100 ) Discussion - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #61 of 785 Old 08-26-2004, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone compared the pictrue quality yet to the 30k or 40k? I have the 30k right now, if the mpeg decoder is any better, I will like to pick one up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 785 Old 08-26-2004, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just received HM-DH5U. Etronics didn't lie in availability. Was delivered a couple days after order. Have to replace a motherboard then I can play.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #63 of 785 Old 08-26-2004, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Tim, you have a digital cam? Want to snap some pics?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 785 Old 08-26-2004, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Have to replace a motherboard then I can play.

huh? i guess you don't happen to have dvhs to report the firewire workability?
post #65 of 785 Old 08-26-2004, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have had great success with Sony SVHS tapes. The Fujis seemed to have a bit less color saturation. I would'nt bother with the JVC SVHS. I was lucky enough to have a couple of hundred SVHS tapes that I had used to record from laserdisc over the years. Is is amazing how free of noise and red bloom the recordings I make with my JVC 30k are. Hopefully the HDMI output on the new JVC decks will result in a picture with less grain and better black levels.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"-Arthur C. Clarke
post #66 of 785 Old 08-27-2004, 07:08 AM

Liked: 48
Quote:

Originally posted by rudolpht
Just received HM-DH5U. Etronics didn't lie in availability. Was delivered a couple days after order. Have to replace a motherboard then I can play.

What?! I assume you mean a motherboard to some OTHER device?

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #67 of 785 Old 08-27-2004, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
It's funny how grammar can play tricks like that. I strongly suspect the topics are independent of each other.
post #68 of 785 Old 08-27-2004, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Can't wait to hear Tim's report - DVHSTool functionality is a must...

It will also be interesting to see what happens with the LG DVT, since it appears to give 'unsupported 1394 Device' messages if it doesn't like the receiving device...

Cheers!
DAve.
post #69 of 785 Old 08-27-2004, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

It was more work flow than a relationship between my broken computer. I did stay up the night and got the computer working.

Unpacked the the new JVC deck, it is sharp in a still retro kinda' way. There's the HDMI jack on back (only optical digital audio though). It gets time from local OTA stream and tries to get analog channels for what it is worth (nothing to me).

There is an Xfiles type blue blow on the center fascia. HDMI lights up.

My intent (despite unrelated compouter work) was to use primarily as a playback device for now. I am nearly unique in that my 30K worked well out of the box and has taped 100+ movies with no fault of the deck.

Why I thought I should play with fire I have no idea (but I LOVE my JVC HX1U so I know JVC is capable of quality products.

I thought I might have an issue in starting up with the HDMI but it came up on the source fine, but in a kind of 14x9 mode (wider thgan the 30K 4:3 with grey bars). That never bothered me as I usually have it snap into correct aspect whren the HS stream is selected.

After rerouting remapping my inputs (basically it was as simple as moving my Voom optical to coax, but there was a lot of swearing and nashing of teeth in the interim. I would have though coax+3 optical+USB audio+firewire+RF (AC-3) would be enough but no. My existing cable actually I routre through the 30K deck just to keep everything else working concurrent. Om enough side discussion.

There are 4 addresses for deckls but I cant get the unit to go into B, C, or D mode, ie same power etc as my other deck, which worst case I'll use emitters if necessary.

So the moment arrives. Insert a recent tape for the girls, What a Girl Wants, and try to rewind. It rewinds for about 2 seconds and powers down. OK, let's try a DTheater tape, Master & Commander, want to kick the tires on a DTS stream. Easy Audio Stream button on both unit and remote. Cool. 2 seconds in, it shutsdown. Check projector, HDCP enabled. Check cable path. Fine, but my problem MAY by my Dtronics DVI 4x1switch. It gives my HTPC no quarter.

Basically I shut down everything before I start throwing tools and sharp instruments. Will try to go direct to projector from VCR but it is a real hassle and just finally got it perfectly situated (as in don't want to jostle it around if I can avoid it, but in this case I'll have to trouble shoot the switch out of the equation.

Now I haven't tried component out as I never intended to use component.

It does appear that you can set timer on Firewire link (yay). Good on deck and in remote controls (remote is more "normal" too).

Doesn't playback (booo).

Needless to say, disappointment all around. The price (of a non-working VCR) was good at least It was packed well, incidentally (or adequately I should say).

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #70 of 785 Old 08-27-2004, 03:26 PM

Amazing. The very first one out there and BAM! It ain't working. (yet).

post #71 of 785 Old 08-27-2004, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked: 736
probably something screwy like unplugging it, kicking the cat, then plugging it in again. ;-)
post #72 of 785 Old 08-27-2004, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Are we into "So sad it's funny" territory yet?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #73 of 785 Old 08-27-2004, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My 5U arrived this afternoon also.

I connected the coax from my cable company into its antenna input and plugged the unit in. The VCR started auto-setting channels and the clock so I went upstairs for dinner. After dinner, I noticed that the date and time was being correctly displayed, so I coupled the fire wire interface to a Motorola 6208 usinga 6-pin-to-4-pin firewire cable that I had lying around, hooked the component video outputs to my projector and the optical output to my A/V receiver. I don't have a HDMI-to-DVI adapter, so I'll have to make do with component until I can pick one up.

Anyways, I fired everything and got a 1080i picture displayed on my projector. No sound though. Soon figured out that the optical output is defaulted to 2-channel PCM. Set it to "Stream" and when I exited the menu, the 5.1 audio started coming in from the HBO HDTV channel.

I've ordered some D-VHS tapes but they don't get here until Monday so I dug out an old S-VHS tape to experiment with. Hit the D-VHS button hidden under the front flap and tried a recording. I noticed about 3 freezes in the first minute. I figured that maybe the unit was getting confused as I had something recorded in analog already on the tape.

Replaced the tape with an unused (I think) Sony S-VHS Pro tape. Went to record Star Trek - First contact which I captured on the hard-drive of the 6208 a couple of nights back. Hit DVR on the 6208, but nothing happened. I realised that the menu of the 6208 is being lost along the firewire-to-component path. Changed my projector to DVI input so I could view the signal straight from the 6208, and started playback. Started recording on the 5U and so far everything seems fine.

Will report back when I've had a chance to view the recording to see if any drop-outs are evident.

Early impressions: The unit feels quite solid and is very large for a VCR, about the size of the Motorola 6208. The 2 large blue leds give out quite a coll glow and the unita s a whole looks much better than the image on JVC's web-site. The front of the unit actually has that mirror look which is currently in vogue.

Kurt
post #74 of 785 Old 08-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Oh, and I'm not sure about the timer-recording using fire-wire. There is a section in the manual devote dto this topic so I figured that they must have added this functionality that was missing on the 30Ks and 40Ks. Anyways reading more it looks as if they still rely on the set-top box to control the recording which rules out the 6208. I'll try and see if I-1 is an allowable option when scheduling a manual recording, and report back.

Kurt
post #75 of 785 Old 08-27-2004, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Well I added the part about kicking the cat, and that still didn't solve. Tried bypassing switch. That didn't solve it.

The unit just correctly identifies it's a DVH tape, whether it is DTheater or not, and then either kicks out the tape and powers down or simply powers down.

I guess I should try the components to see if HDMI is even related to being the culprit, but I may have to find some more cats first.

Lights, buttons, etc., it's a much more usable system, if it played tapes...

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #76 of 785 Old 08-27-2004, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Well, 3 cats later... Components out (HDMI removed & not lit up) exhibits same behavior. RMA here I come. Disappointing. Kurt, glad yours is working.

General dimmensions approximate 30K but not as high, probably an inch shorter.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #77 of 785 Old 08-27-2004, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Well my recording of Star Trek First Contact seemed to work flawlessly. I did a quick playback and everything looked great.

However, I've already seem some funny goings on.

On a couple of my other HDTV channels, I got the message "CANNOT DECODE VIDEO OR AUDIO USE SET TOP BOX OR HDTV TUNER" after a few seconds, followed by a complete loss of picture and sound.

I'll have to experiment some more to see what the deal is.

Kurt
post #78 of 785 Old 08-27-2004, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
Amazing. The very first one out there and BAM! It ain't working. (yet).

How did I know you'd be all over this one....

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #79 of 785 Old 08-27-2004, 10:40 PM

I'm interested in purchasing one but am using the 169time system with DirecTV. If anyone tries it using the 169time system please let us know how well it works. I know there's some issues with even the 40000 so am not sure if I should even try using this newest D-VHS.
post #80 of 785 Old 08-27-2004, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

CANNOT DECODE VIDEO OR AUDIO USE SET TOP BOX OR HDTV TUNER

Remember seen that on premium hd as well with 40k. Turn on/off 6208 solved the error message. If i remember correct, i won't get this message if jvc was first turned on before 6208.
post #81 of 785 Old 08-28-2004, 01:52 AM

Does anyone have any definitive knowledge of what MPEG decoder is in the new JVC decks as opposed to the 30/40k decks? Other than HDMI output and improved reliability (hahahahaha, 2 guys have them and 1 is already dead) why would I want one of these if my two 30k's are working fine? Is the component output less soft? Less noisy or grainy? I know there won't be timer recording from the 1394 port, it goes against the 1394 spec, so I'm stuck with the Radio Shack thingy. C'mon guys give me some reasons to buy this thing. I really want a new toy!

lilsteveo

"The Following Message has been formatted to fit your screen"
post #82 of 785 Old 08-28-2004, 04:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 116
The JVC 40K and the new JVC D-VHS decks all use the LSI Logic (formerly C-Cube)
Domino processor for HD decoding, SD encoding, audio decoding, audio encoding
and 1394 (and a bunch of other stuff).

The JVC 30K is an older design with seperate HD decoder and SD encoder devices.

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #83 of 785 Old 08-28-2004, 06:03 AM

Ron, do you know if any of the tape transport has been redesigned to improve reliability?

Quote:

Originally posted by Ken H
How did I know you'd be all over this one....

Sorry, Ken. It's an addiction.

I AM very much hoping this new deck is an improvement. If it is, I will buy one.

I think the 40K is inferior in many ways to the 30K. It is so twitchy with Firewire that it's near impossible for it to keep sync with my local cable co's signal. The 30K and the Mitsubishi 2000U don't even burp with it.

I was talking with an engineer from TeleMedia Cable yesterday and his 40K is the same way, on a different cable co (he has Comcast). Meanwhile his Mitsubishi deck has never had trouble seeing the Firewire signal.

post #84 of 785 Old 08-28-2004, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Well the new 5U is definitely "twitchy" as well when it comes to aquiring the firewire signal. The good news is that once it does it is rock solid until you change channel or something like that.

I've archived two movies so far, both recorded from HBO-HD recently onto my 6208's hard drive. Both archives appear to be perfect. In both cases I used a S-VHS tape not an official D-VHS one.

I've verified that I can aquire the HDTV signal on all three of my Comcast locals that I tried (NBC, CBS, FOX).

Also verified that I can get the signal on the two most important movie channels (HBO-HD and Sho-HD).

Similarly, it seems to work with Comcasts own channels (INHD-1 & 2)

So far I haven't had any luck with Cinemax-HD, Starz-HD or ESPN-HD.

Haven't tried the local UPN-HD station.

Even with the channels I can get I do sometimes have to play around to aquire the signal. When the 5U failes to get the firewire signal I try changing the channel on the 6208 or going up to channel 2 on the 5U and then back to I-1. Usually, one of these will work. It may take a couple of minutes of futzinga round to get a signal to be recognized, but thereafter it's solid. You definitely can't use the 5U as a pass through, to avoid having to swith between the DVI output of the 6208 and the HDMI output of the 5U. It's far to fussy for that.

I'm waiting until I feel comfortable that the 5U is a keeper before I get a HDMI-to-DVI adaptor. In the meanwhile I'm using the component video connectors of the 5U, with the output set to the native mode of the signal (i.e. it varies between 1080i and 720p dependant on the format employed by a particular channel).

Kurt
post #85 of 785 Old 08-28-2004, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Kurt,
With these trouble channels (Cinemax-HD, Starz-HD or ESPN-HD) can you first record with the 6208, then dump to D-VHS? Kind of a workaround, but that might be a solution, since you seem to have no problem dumping HBO recordings from the 6208.
Also, what have you learned about timer functions for the firewire input?

Thanks,
Bryan
post #86 of 785 Old 08-28-2004, 11:15 AM

When I lose sync on my 40K, I have to unplug it for 20 seconds or more. Otherwise it will not sync back up, no matter what I do. This happens every time I finish a recording and many times when I turn the deck back on. I F'n HATE it.

post #87 of 785 Old 08-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bferr1
Kurt,
With these trouble channels (Cinemax-HD, Starz-HD or ESPN-HD) can you first record with the 6208, then dump to D-VHS? Kind of a workaround, but that might be a solution, since you seem to have no problem dumping HBO recordings from the 6208.
Also, what have you learned about timer functions for the firewire input?

Thanks,
Bryan

I'm going to record The Missing tonight onto the hard-drive of the 6208, and then try and dump it to D_VHS tape on Sunday.

I'll let you know how it goes.

With HBO, Showtime etc I have no trouble (apart from the general fussiness in aquiring a HDTV signal through firewire) in monitoring the live signal. Thus, I would expect that I could also record this live signal but I have not tried to do so, so far.

With the 3 problem channels I listed, I have not been able to even monitor the signal. It may be just that I haven't played around enough to force a firewire handshake.

Kurt
post #88 of 785 Old 08-28-2004, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Kurt - do you work with PC / DVHSTool at all?

It all sounds good so far - if it works with DVHSTool it sounds like a good purchase...!

Cheers!
DAve.
post #89 of 785 Old 08-28-2004, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Phloyd
Kurt - do you work with PC / DVHSTool at all?

No, my PC is an another room away from my home-theater equipment, so I can't say if these new JVC decks are compatable.

BTW, I did manage to handshake the 5U with a Starz-HD signal.

However, I tried to dump a fairly old recording off my 6208 to the 5U (Spiderman) and I'm seeing infrequent drop-outs. They may be related to the tape I'm using.

Kurt
post #90 of 785 Old 08-28-2004, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

One other thing: I've figured out why I get drop-outs when I try and dump some of the movies I had stored on the hard drive of the 6208. It is a function of when those movies were recorded. Any movie that I stored prior to time when my 6208 got the new firmware update to version 7.15 will not record properly to D-VHS.

Any movie that I recorded to my hard-drive after 7.15 was installed, dumps fine to the 5U.

Kurt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page