Official Comcast 6412 w/ iGuide Discussion - Page 116 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #6901 of 10358 Old 01-31-2006, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemagotham View Post

Could I be overtaxing my system? I have one HD-DVR, cable modem, and Vonage. Does anyone else use Comcast for all that?

I have all three and just have a drop out or video glitch here and there...nothing very intrusive and no more than I've seen with OTA HD....

-Randy

Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6902 of 10358 Old 01-31-2006, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I'm getting audio dropouts on some recordings and it's killing me! Bleak House was unwatchable for audio dropouts every few seconds. What the hell? There are little digital picture problems that often go along with the audio problems but those I can live with. This DVR is such a piece of trash it's killing me!

Could I be overtaxing my system? I have one HD-DVR, cable modem, and Vonage. Does anyone else use Comcast for all that?

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DCT6412

It's all about signal strength. The link will tell you how to check the signal strength on the two tuners, on your DVR.
post #6903 of 10358 Old 01-31-2006, 11:27 AM

Quote:

I'm getting audio dropouts on some recordings and it's killing me! Bleak House was unwatchable for audio dropouts every few seconds. What the hell? There are little digital picture problems that often go along with the audio problems but those I can live with. This DVR is such a piece of trash it's killing me!

And if it's not on the website, do a "Search this Thread" for "signal strength".
post #6904 of 10358 Old 01-31-2006, 11:27 AM

I think it was in this thread I read of a front panel button sequence that was said to have the same effect as unplugging the STB. I've searched but can't find that post.
(I don't mean the usual reset holding the Power & Menu buttons.)

Can someone please advise of the button sequence? I'm just trying to avoid getting behind the entertainment center to reach the plug when the box locks up.

Thanks,
Les
post #6905 of 10358 Old 01-31-2006, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLYSWA View Post

I have all three and just have a drop out or video glitch here and there...nothing very intrusive and no more than I've seen with OTA HD....

-Randy

Using a high quality splitter helps immensly. My parents just built thier dream home (5000 sq ft.) I had to add a coaxial booster to get all of the 15 cable runs to get a clean signal to them. Went from -12mv to +5mv and it solved all of thier problems...

If youve got a motorola cable modem...point your web browser to 192.168.100.1. The modem should be able to tell you the current signal to noise level and power level.

6pg Xtra & G70 both on HTPCs
Nirvana :D

My Setup
post #6906 of 10358 Old 01-31-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Rookie View Post

If the 6xxx and 3xxx boxes are any indication, the Motorola/Comcast definition of "passing beta" is pretty loose, so I guess we can expect to start seeing new hardware/software in August.

I just returned my 6412 to Comcast , I got the first 6412 III in Nov. lasted 6 days and stopped working (Hard Drive ) Number 2 didn't work at all (7 hours to load Guide ) Number 3 one week would only record off of one tuner??? Number 4 same trouble as Number 2 Number 5 worked ok for 3 weeks then same as Number one Number 6 would record and show 125min's of program but when you play back it would show delete this program screen, and number 7 low audio on digital channels, same recording trouble as number 6. and all I get from local Comcast office is sorry we know that the 6412 has lot's of troubles, they don't even offer to give a break or refund. So I just closed my account and told them when they get thing right call me.
post #6907 of 10358 Old 01-31-2006, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOENAMCO View Post

I just returned my 6412 to Comcast , I got the first 6412 III in Nov. ..... and number 7 low audio on digital channels, same recording trouble as number 6.

Now we know why no one else is able to get one!
post #6908 of 10358 Old 01-31-2006, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4 View Post

Assuming your remote is the same as mine, there was no original functionality of any of the PIP buttons (except swap). None even sent any IR signals at all.

Fair enough. What about for the Fav or A / Lock buttons? Do they return to original functionality, or execute the empty macro?

What I'm really getting at is whether this is an actual reset procedure, or just clearing out a macro with an empty macro.

Get WMC Recording Storage Pooler 1.1.0.

Get ATI HD Registry Tweaks 0.16. Updated 2009-12-31.

Get Firewire drivers for DVRs. Updated 2009-02-25.
post #6909 of 10358 Old 01-31-2006, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDeus View Post

You're certain that this works? I understand the idea of programming an empty macro, but does it restore the button to the original functionality; does it transmit the original IR code once programmed with the empty macro?

I haven't programmed a macro to a button that has a working original function to know. From what I found in practice, the procedure to restore a button to its original function worked whether for a macro or single-function button (at least it cleared out the macro, I don't know if it returned to its original functionality since the buttons were originally for disabled features).

Basically, remapping a key will override a macro. BUT, the macro still remains in memory. The macro delete information came from a One-For-All manual, as the Comcast remote is made by the same company. Bascially, you delete by recording an empty macro over the original.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #6910 of 10358 Old 02-01-2006, 05:55 AM

Need some help. Last night I was switching from a hi def channel to an analog and the analog channel was mico blocking. If I channeled up to another analog channel it would stop. Is this a hardware problem (DVR 6412) or lack of ADS. Thanks Steve
post #6911 of 10358 Old 02-01-2006, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have a problem with my 6412 II, whenever tuned to a HD channel the guide, menu and no other commands from the remote work except to change the channel, I have to change back to a SD channel in order to access recorded programs etc., anyone else having a similar problem?
post #6912 of 10358 Old 02-01-2006, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post

I have a problem with my 6412 II, whenever tuned to a HD channel the guide, menu and no other commands from the remote work except to change the channel, I have to change back to a SD channel in order to access recorded programs etc., anyone else having a similar problem?

It sounds like you are using the composite (yellow) or S-Video connection, but the box is configured to output HD on component/digital. In that situtation, graphics will not be visible. When watching HD, do you see the flip bar with the program information? Do you see the time bar when hitting any of the transport controls?

If your TV doesn't support HD, you need to configure the box to downconvert everything to SD:
Turn box off
Hit Menu
Scroll down to YPbPr
Use left-right to change it to 480i.
Hit Power to turn it off, then Power again to turn it on.

post #6913 of 10358 Old 02-01-2006, 08:37 PM

Setup: 6412 Phase III -> SVideo -> normal TV (non-HD)

I just traded in my 6412 Phase II for a 6412 Phase III and I am not convinced that was the right move.

Pro's for the Phase III:
- better MPEG encoding for analog
- has a fan supposedly to keep it cooler
- HDMI (if you have it - obviously I do not)

Con's for the Phase III:
- the most disturbing thing is the lag in buffering the video while it syncs with audio during a 30 second skip. With the Phase II I noticed more of an immediate skip with the video to the next 30 seconds. The Phase III skips immediately to the next 30 seconds of audio while the video lags by 1/2 a second while it buffers or syncs with the audio.
- Menu overlay exhibits flickering
- The the edges of the video are not as straight as the Phase II. Particularly, the right hand side of the video shows a large vertical concaved arc more noticeably in the top right of the screen. This is a similar problem as my video card output from my PC, but I have NVIDIA software overlay controls to adjust for this and slightly enlarge the screen in order to crop this. I suspect a similar video component is used in the 6412 - possibly even a NVIDIA chip. In other words the STB shows similar overlay issues as PC output but it appears I cannot correct for this.

Can you either help me fix these issues or confirm for me that I made the wrong move and go back and get my Phase II?

Thanks!
post #6914 of 10358 Old 02-02-2006, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormking View Post

I just traded in my 6412 Phase II for a 6412 Phase III and I am not convinced that was the right move.

Pro's for the Phase III:
- better MPEG encoding for analog
- has a fan supposedly to keep it cooler
- HDMI (if you have it - obviously I do not)

Con's for the Phase III:
- the most disturbing thing is the lag in buffering the video while it syncs with audio during a 30 second skip. With the Phase II I noticed more of an immediate skip with the video to the next 30 seconds. The Phase III skips immediately to the next 30 seconds of audio while the video lags by 1/2 a second while it buffers or syncs with the audio.
- Menu overlay exhibits flickering
- The the edges of the video are not as straight as the Phase II. Particularly, the right hand side of the video shows a large vertical concaved arc more noticeably in the top right of the screen. This is a similar problem as my video card output from my PC, but I have NVIDIA software overlay controls to adjust for this and slightly enlarge the screen in order to crop this. I suspect a similar video component is used in the 6412 - possibly even a NVIDIA chip. In other words the STB shows similar overlay issues as PC output but it appears I cannot correct for this.

One of your "pros," the HDMI output, is really more of a con because it's so buggy. For what it's worth, I've not experienced any of the other issues you describe myself, and I don't recall reading anything about other people experiencing them. Plenty of other issues with the 6412 in general and the phase III in particular, but not those.... Perhaps your particular box just has some video problems?
post #6915 of 10358 Old 02-02-2006, 08:47 AM

Quote:

cons:

Actually, I have this same problem with my phase 2 box... interesting... anyone else?
post #6916 of 10358 Old 02-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I still have both a p2 and p3 box, and the p3 30 second skip is definitely slower to show the video again once you skip. On the p2, it doesn't instantly show the video again after a skip, but the delay is a great deal shorter and seems to come back almost at the same time as the audio comes back.

On the p3 I've just gotten used to skipping-by-ear. I usually can tell when to stop just by listening to the audio.

Using hdmi on the p3 and component on the p2.
post #6917 of 10358 Old 02-02-2006, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2828 View Post

I still have both a p2 and p3 box, and the p3 30 second skip is definitely slower to show the video again once you skip. On the p2, it doesn't instantly show the video again after a skip, but the delay is a great deal shorter and seems to come back almost at the same time as the audio comes back.

On the p3 I've just gotten used to skipping-by-ear. I usually can tell when to stop just by listening to the audio.

Using hdmi on the p3 and component on the p2.

This is apparently one of the issues that affects some but not all boxes. I use the 30 second skip on a PIII all the time, and have never noticed a video delay. Firmware related, perhaps? Mine is 12.18.
post #6918 of 10358 Old 02-02-2006, 09:14 AM
km

Quote:

Setup: 6412 Phase III -> SVideo -> normal TV (non-HD)
Con's for the Phase III:
- Thanks!

I've been surprised that no one mentioned this until now. I have a Phase 2 6412, and when I added a Phase 3 it was the first thing I noticed. Since no one mentioned it, I thought that I had a bad phase 3 box (it also had a learning disorder). Recently I had the Phase 3 replaced with a Phase 1 3412, and it has the same video delay as the Phase 3.

I notice it mostly on the 30 second skips. Can't really complain since the 30 second skips are not an advertised feature. It does sync once I stop skipping, but I don't get to see the intermediate frames. It means that I decide how many skips to do by counting or getting a clue from the audio.

I also see it coming out of a pause. It takes several seconds before the video starts playing, while its almost immediate on the Phase 2.

I imagine this is just due to different generations of firmware which will eventually converge.
post #6919 of 10358 Old 02-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceccacci View Post

This is apparently one of the issues that affects some but not all boxes. I use the 30 second skip on a PIII all the time, and have never noticed a video delay. Firmware related, perhaps? Mine is 12.18.

Same here. Firmware also 12.18. No video lag issue at all.
post #6920 of 10358 Old 02-02-2006, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

It sounds like you are using the composite (yellow) or S-Video connection, but the box is configured to output HD on component/digital. In that situtation, graphics will not be visible. When watching HD, do you see the flip bar with the program information? Do you see the time bar when hitting any of the transport controls?

Nope, everything is S-Video and I never had a problem on a HD channel prior to this, basically you can't access the GUIDE, menu or any other functions while tuned to a HD channel, you have to manually change the channel to a SD channel before you can pull up the menu or the DVR functions or anything.
post #6921 of 10358 Old 02-02-2006, 03:21 PM

Quote:

Nope, everything is S-Video and I never had a problem on a HD channel prior to this, basically you can't access the GUIDE, menu or any other functions while tuned to a HD channel, you have to manually change the channel to a SD channel before you can pull up the menu or the DVR functions or anything.

Well that's most likely your problem, since you can't carry HD over s-video, and the 6412 is probably creating HD menus when tuned to an HD channel. It's got enough other problems it wouldn't surprise me that it doesn't downconvert them.
post #6922 of 10358 Old 02-02-2006, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceccacci View Post

Well that's most likely your problem, since you can't carry HD over s-video, and the 6412 is probably creating HD menus when tuned to an HD channel. It's got enough other problems it wouldn't surprise me that it doesn't downconvert them.

With the STB on, do the following with your remote.

power off the STB and press menu.

if you are only using S-Video, then make sure you have the following settings.

TV type set to 4:3 Letterbox
output set to: 480I

press power to exit the menu and hit power again to turn on the STB

now try it.

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #6923 of 10358 Old 02-02-2006, 03:35 PM

Thank you scanpa, that fixed my problem.
post #6924 of 10358 Old 02-02-2006, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Your Welcome.

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #6925 of 10358 Old 02-02-2006, 11:32 PM

Quote:

Con's for the Phase III:

I just spoke to a Comcast rep who thinks this will be fixed in this elusive 12.22 firmware update. I have firmware 12.18.

I tried getting more info on this 12.22 firmware update which is not suppose to be quoted but I do not see why not:

12.22 has been sent out to some on the east and is being tested for the west. It may be sent out in a few weeks during an area update. The firmware cannot (or won't) be sent out individually. You can only have 12.22 right now if it came preinstalled on a box - but don't ask your local Comcast office where you can pick one up because they won't know what you are talking about.

12.22 updates: (sorry for the lack in description)
- a mute issue
- a blank screen issue
- the SATA port enabled
- the video sync lag when skipping forward

Perhaps someone can add to the 6412 wiki a firmware version history list (bug fixes and features for each firmware update) - along with rumored future firmware version updates and their fixes and features.
post #6926 of 10358 Old 02-02-2006, 11:44 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3605 Post(s)
Liked: 3252
Quote:

I just spoke to a Comcast rep who thinks this will be fixed in this elusive 12.22 firmware update. I have firmware 12.18.

I tried getting more info on this 12.22 firmware update which is not suppose to be quoted but I do not see why not:

12.22 has been sent out to some on the east and is being tested for the west. It may be sent out in a few weeks during an area update. The firmware cannot (or won't) be sent out individually. You can only have 12.22 right now if it came preinstalled on a box - but don't ask your local Comcast office where you can pick one up because they won't know what you are talking about.

- a mute issue
- a blank screen issue
- the SATA port enabled

Perhaps someone can add to the 6412 wiki a firmware version history list (bug fixes and features for each firmware update) - along with rumored future firmware version updates and their fixes and features.

- a mute issue
- a blank screen issue
- the SATA port enabled<<<<< Where did you hear this??
post #6927 of 10358 Old 02-02-2006, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

- a mute issue
- a blank screen issue
- the SATA port enabled<<<<< Where did you hear this??

I knew this was coming... the conversation with the Comcast phone rep was:

RE the 12.22 updates:

rep: "... and ports will be enabled on the back"
me: "will the SATA port be enabled?"
rep: "yes"

And then he said don't quote him on any of this (12.22 updates) - and then I did. So who knows, maybe he's full of it.
post #6928 of 10358 Old 02-02-2006, 11:55 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3605 Post(s)
Liked: 3252
It would be nice, but I think Comcast has already indicated that the SATA port will not be activated, ever.
post #6929 of 10358 Old 02-03-2006, 05:37 AM

We lost power yesterday afternoon (Thursday) so the 6412 was in the midst of downloading everything when I saw something disturbing. My Friday night programs were all there at the right time and all had the title 'To Be Announced'. I knew that would be filled in eventually. What was disturbing is that my ER program wasn't shown as above, there was nothing listed for Thursday. So I did a manual program just to be sure since we were going out for the evening. Got up this morning and saw the 'rec' indicator on the 6412. ER was recorded twice and both were 500 minutes long, the DVR filled to capacity. Luckily there were no shows on the DVR so I didn't lose anything. Some good did come from this, I know that HD capacity is approximately 1000 minutes and after I deleted one of them the capacity went to 53% so I now know that there is 3% always used.

My question is, has anyone seen anything like this? For the most part I like the 6412 and haven't had nearly the problems I see reported on this forum.
post #6930 of 10358 Old 02-03-2006, 08:27 AM

Quote:

It would be nice, but I think Comcast has already indicated that the SATA port will not be activated, ever.

Best never to believe anything, ever, a Comcast CR tells you. I've had them tell me the SATA was active, they were offering an external hard drive and would only be charging me $6.95 per month. When I told the CR it was all fiction, she said she would check with Tech and put me on hold. Backs she comes and confirms it all. I set an appointment for it to be installed. Of course the service tech then arrived and knew nothing about the box he was to install. This type of stuff goes on all the time. I have 12.22 firmware on a 3412 and SATA is not active.

Oh, by the way, always remember to ask Comcast to have the service tech bring their 'booties.' Most will not know what you are talking about.
post #6931 of 10358 Old 02-03-2006, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

- a mute issue
- a blank screen issue
- the SATA port enabled

Hi Stormking,

The CSR you talked too was not informed.

The STB is blank (if it was reset properly back to factory new cond.) When you first connect the STB and have it activated, it Downloads and installs the following from the local head end plant.

1) STB Software
2) IPG Software
3) DVR / STB Firmware
4) Your Account Settings
5) the box reboots and then downloads the following
6) Cable clock time.
7) Begins populating the IPG data.

-------------------------------------------------
Firmware version 12.22 Aug 2005 is not new and is now outdated for most comcast areas. 12.25 did not make it out of beta, 12.27 is the current Firmware in Beta Testing.

Firmware is not the same for each Cable head end plant.

Moto does the basic coding, then Your local Cable plant further enables the features they want activated for there area and makes it compatable for that head end plant cable system. After it is beta tested and passes it is sent out over the cable system as needed.
----------------------------------------------

Mute issue is not a bug. it only happens if you have the STB turned off and it has to wake up from standby mode to record a timed recording.

Solution is Never turn the STB off. or add the STB mute/unmute code to your silver comcast remote. It is easy to do.

-----------------------------------------------

Sata Port is enabled hardware wise, but there is currently no Software or Firmware Support for it at this time on Moto DCT series STB.

Also Comcast has already stated they have dropped all current future plans to enable the SATA port for use, and they did drop plans to rent external hard drives.

------------------------------------------------

Blank screen is also not corrected via 12.22, it is a power / sleep mode issue caused when users turn the STB to off (standby mode) since the STB is always on unless you unplug it.

Now the video sync lag when skipping forward is a firmware issue and should be on the fix list for 12.27 when released.

----------------------------------------------------

Any questions?

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #6932 of 10358 Old 02-03-2006, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I asumme that you have an HDTV so if you want to take advantage of the HD resolution you need to use the Component or DVI input. Not S-Video
post #6933 of 10358 Old 02-03-2006, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Is your TV HD capable? If so, you should be using the component or digital connections. Even if it's not HD capable, but has component, you will get a better picture.

post #6934 of 10358 Old 02-04-2006, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanpa View Post

Firmware is not the same for each Cable head end plant.

Any questions?

Thanks for the info!

After exchanging my Phase II for a Phase III I wanted to make sure I had the latest and greatest Firmware. It seems odd that in different parts of the country the firmware is at a different version despite being the same hardware. Perhaps it has more to do with the local "cable head end".

This next question is sort of 6412 related but more to do on the "signals" that the "head end" sends to your box. It appears that since last June or so some people in San Francisco including me had free SHO, TMC, Cinamax but only ordered HBO. But when you call Comcast about anything, they'll "zap" or "send signals" to it to update with what you have currently ordered, say just HBO. I got these channels for free for a while due to some glitch but like I said was reset after talking to Comcast one day. Upon getting a new Phase III box and plugging it in, what do you know the old free channels came back; SHO, MAX, TMC in addition to paid HBO, ENC. Of course when I called to get my OnDemand working - the diagnostic page showed I had an IP address of 000.000.000.000 - they sent signals to my box which fixed the OnDemand problem but turned off the free channels I was getting due to a glitch. So I guess the moral of the story is, if you are getting something for free, don't call Comcast for them to fix something else as they'll break your freebee. But it raises an interesting point that upon plugging in a fresh box, it sends/receives one set of signals/channels and if you CALL them they'll send a different set of signals that will set your channels differently. Additionally, these free channels would not work on OnDemand, just the normal channels. I *believe* this all started in June during a free promotion that went haywire and never ended in SF. Previously those free channels were turned OFF when I was SUCKERED into getting a *special* for San Francisco for free STARS - THE ONLY CHANNEL I WAS NOT GETTING. Of course I went for it thereby nuking all other free channels when they "sent the signal" to just paid STARS/HBO/ENC. I believe the "local special" was to purposefully correct the error in this area for people receiving free channels.

"Sending signals" is not a very technical term for a technical person. Can anyone expand on what is taking place more technically? Perhaps getting a new box and never calling them is the best thing.

Thanks!
post #6935 of 10358 Old 02-04-2006, 12:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
All cable dvr's I think come with access to all Digital HBO,SHO, TMC, Cinamax.

If a box does not get sent a hit after install it will stop work on it need to communicate with the headend.

Andrew Wees

Quote:

Thanks for the info!

After exchanging my Phase II for a Phase III I wanted to make sure I had the latest and greatest Firmware. It seems odd that in different parts of the country the firmware is at a different version despite being the same hardware. Perhaps it has more to do with the local "cable head end".

This next question is sort of 6412 related but more to do on the "signals" that the "head end" sends to your box. It appears that since last June or so some people in San Francisco including me had free SHO, TMC, Cinamax but only ordered HBO. But when you call Comcast about anything, they'll "zap" or "send signals" to it to update with what you have currently ordered, say just HBO. I got these channels for free for a while due to some glitch but like I said was reset after talking to Comcast one day. Upon getting a new Phase III box and plugging it in, what do you know the old free channels came back; SHO, MAX, TMC in addition to paid HBO, ENC. Of course when I called to get my OnDemand working - the diagnostic page showed I had an IP address of 000.000.000.000 - they sent signals to my box which fixed the OnDemand problem but turned off the free channels I was getting due to a glitch. So I guess the moral of the story is, if you are getting something for free, don't call Comcast for them to fix something else as they'll break your freebee. But it raises an interesting point that upon plugging in a fresh box, it sends/receives one set of signals/channels and if you CALL them they'll send a different set of signals that will set your channels differently. Additionally, these free channels would not work on OnDemand, just the normal channels. I *believe* this all started in June during a free promotion that went haywire and never ended in SF. Previously those free channels were turned OFF when I was SUCKERED into getting a *special* for San Francisco for free STARS - THE ONLY CHANNEL I WAS NOT GETTING. Of course I went for it thereby nuking all other free channels when they "sent the signal" to just paid STARS/HBO/ENC. I believe the "local special" was to purposefully correct the error in this area for people receiving free channels.

"Sending signals" is not a very technical term for a technical person. Can anyone expand on what is taking place more technically? Perhaps getting a new box and never calling them is the best thing.

Thanks!

post #6936 of 10358 Old 02-04-2006, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGadget View Post

Sounds like you have a bad box! I think mine has crashed twice in 2 years of continual use (I have never switched the box off!). I'm still using an original Phase I box. I've been thinking about swaping it for a new Phase III box, but I'm a little scared that I might get a less reliable box instead!

Mark

I just got 2 6412s from Comcast 2 weeks ago and they both lock up almost daily. They were just here and the tech told me that they are having so many problems that swapping boxes probably wouldn't make anything better. What a load of crap!! Comcast better get off their butss and get some boxes that work. After reading this whole string of messages, it appears the the 6412 boxes are terrible pieces of electronics!!

Mike
post #6937 of 10358 Old 02-04-2006, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You have to realize that most people tend to post messages about problems in the hope that someone has a solution. Why post if everything is OK?

A while back, I had the HD Tivo, 2 LG LST-3410A's, the Sony DHG-HDD250, and the 6412 in the same room. The 6412 was the unit of choice because it came closest to fulfilling my preferences. My system now employs the 6412 and one 3410A for overflow. My nephew uses the HD Tivo and likes it fine, my niece uses #2 3410A, and the Sony (although a very nice piece of equipment) got returned to BB because it was within 30 days of purchase and we just had 1 DVR too many.

UncD2000
post #6938 of 10358 Old 02-04-2006, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoMaster View Post

I just got 2 6412s from Comcast 2 weeks ago and they both lock up almost daily. They were just here and the tech told me that they are having so many problems that swapping boxes probably wouldn't make anything better. What a load of crap!! Comcast better get off their butss and get some boxes that work. After reading this whole string of messages, it appears the the 6412 boxes are terrible pieces of electronics!!

Mike

In areas that are having the most Motorola DCT DVR STB problems. You will more then likely be getting one of the 2 NEW Panasonic Duel Tuner 250GB HD DVR STB Models Later this year.

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #6939 of 10358 Old 02-04-2006, 04:15 PM

Quote:

In areas that are having the most Motorola DCT DVR STB problems. You will more then likely be getting one of the 2 NEW Panasonic Duel Tuner 250GB HD DVR STB Models Later this year.

really? it raises 2 questions for me:
1) for real? where did this info come from?
2) how do I get on the list of people who agree the the 6412 in any phase needs to be phasored into space dust?
post #6940 of 10358 Old 02-04-2006, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

And, as i've mentioned a few times, (maybe even in this thread), Moto said at CES that NONE of their customers has asked that the SATA port be activated.

...mike
post #6941 of 10358 Old 02-05-2006, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

And, as i've mentioned a few times, (maybe even in this thread), Moto said at CES that NONE of their customers has asked that the SATA port be activated.

...mike

Moto has nothing to do with it.

It is up to the MSO / Cable operator. all that is required is a click on the options tic box to have the Software & Firmware to include the drivers to use the SATA port. The SATA port comes from the Moto Factory Enabled.

They have a working 6412p3 with a 400gb HD connected to the SATA port in the Test room at one of the local PA Cable plants.

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #6942 of 10358 Old 02-05-2006, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoMaster View Post

If they lock up around 4:20-4:50 AM or PM (set them to display the clock if needed), then it's a known bug. The most likely culprit is a conflict with a series recording configured to allow extra time at the beginning or the end. You may have no problems for months, then it will keep happening until the situtation that causes the bug passes. The general fix is to first try removing any extra time from series recordings. If that doesn't work, delete all of them, then recreate. At the worst, you may need to perform a DVR reset, which erases everything.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_6412

post #6943 of 10358 Old 02-05-2006, 09:42 AM

When I got my 6412P3, I kept my 6412P2. I've been waiting patiently for the firmware to uplgrade the P3 so that I could play back recorded DD 5.1 shows and still use a digital video connection. Yesterday I reconnected the P2, which has sat idle for a few months, to watch the SB. What a freaking wonderful difference it makes! I never watch live programming, so I'd been without DD 5.1 programming.

We need to storm the barricades on this issue. Perhaps if we raise an unholy stink about being given a product, that has not perfomed as advertised for over 6 months, they will listen. I, for one, am going to file an FCC complaint demanding that they fix this egregious problem.
post #6944 of 10358 Old 02-05-2006, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dartinbout View Post

We need to storm the barricades on this issue. Perhaps if we raise an unholy stink about being given a product, that has not perfomed as advertised for over 6 months, they will listen. I, for one, am going to file an FCC complaint demanding that they fix this egregious problem.

Maybe you should call Comcast and tell them that your DVR is not functioning properly and you would like a credit... and that you shouldn't have to pay for since it doesn't work as advertised.
post #6945 of 10358 Old 02-05-2006, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
while the CSR's are largely clueless, some of the techs are even worse.

2 summers ago when i first got HD with comcast and was having some reception/signal problems, one of the techs who came over claimed that Comcast didn't provide HD and didn't believe the picture i was showing him on my projector(some concert on INHD was playing) could possibly be from Comcast, since " i get comcast at home and it don't never look like that".

i sent him on his way and fixed the problem myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerfectViewe View Post

Best never to believe anything, ever, a Comcast CR tells you. I've had them tell me the SATA was active, they were offering an external hard drive and would only be charging me $6.95 per month. When I told the CR it was all fiction, she said she would check with Tech and put me on hold. Backs she comes and confirms it all. I set an appointment for it to be installed. Of course the service tech then arrived and knew nothing about the box he was to install. This type of stuff goes on all the time. I have 12.22 firmware on a 3412 and SATA is not active.

Oh, by the way, always remember to ask Comcast to have the service tech bring their 'booties.' Most will not know what you are talking about.

post #6946 of 10358 Old 02-05-2006, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

while the CSR's are largely clueless, some of the techs are even worse.

2 summers ago when i first got HD with comcast and was having some reception/signal problems, one of the techs who came over claimed that Comcast didn't provide HD and didn't believe the picture i was showing him on my projector(some concert on INHD was playing) could possibly be from Comcast, since " i get comcast at home and it don't never look like that".

i sent him on his way and fixed the problem myself.

Just want to clarify some things.

Techs, there are several kinds.

Instalation & line techs are 90% contracted outside comcast. Most have a mindset of a CSR.

Repair Techs are about 50/50 contracted out. some are like the CSR's

Plant techs are 100% Comcast. and are the only ones with brains.

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #6947 of 10358 Old 02-06-2006, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What what? I would love to swap for a new model. I don't want to switch out boxes and get a just-as-bad-or-worse 6412. Any idea what areas will get the Panas? Because it can't possibly be worse!
post #6948 of 10358 Old 02-06-2006, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Just want to clarify some things.

Techs, there are several kinds.

Instalation & line techs are 90% contracted outside comcast. Most have a mindset of a CSR.

Repair Techs are about 50/50 contracted out. some are like the CSR's

Plant techs are 100% Comcast. and are the only ones with brains.

Which one did I get the night I finally got my 6412 and called Comcast tech support because the thing would only output 480i? I told her I had connected it up via componant and she didn't know what the heck that was!

She thought the thing to do was schedule an appointment with a field tech (meaning either I take a day off work or wait for Saturday).

I hung up and figured it out using help from you guys.
post #6949 of 10358 Old 02-06-2006, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Let's just hope that f they roll out those PAnasonic DVR's they don't come with more problems than our beloved Moto 6412
post #6950 of 10358 Old 02-06-2006, 10:30 PM

OK, so how do I find the firmware version of my 6412?

-- Brandy
post #6951 of 10358 Old 02-07-2006, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted View Post

how do I find the firmware version of my 6412?

Press "MENU" twice.
Select "Setup"
Select "Cable Box Setup"
Select "Select to display"
post #6952 of 10358 Old 02-07-2006, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Firmware version 12.22 Aug 2005 is not new and is now outdated for most comcast areas. 12.25 did not make it out of beta, 12.27 is the current Firmware in Beta Testing.

Any questions?

I don't get it. My 6412 firmware version says 9.19. I'm in Los angeles.
post #6953 of 10358 Old 02-07-2006, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

Leebo,

Sounds like you have the phase II 6412 (DVI interface). Thats what formware I have on mine in Richmond, VA.

JayMan
post #6954 of 10358 Old 02-07-2006, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes. didn't realize the PIII had different firmware.
post #6955 of 10358 Old 02-07-2006, 10:11 AM

After programming a key to ff 30 seconds. How do I un program it to go back to defauly?
post #6956 of 10358 Old 02-07-2006, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

For the 62xx & 64xx p1 & p2 final F/W just released in Jan. 2006 is 09.21

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #6957 of 10358 Old 02-07-2006, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTCAMB View Post

After programming a key to ff 30 seconds. How do I un program it to go back to defauly?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_6412
(Look for 'How to restore a remapped button'.

post #6958 of 10358 Old 02-07-2006, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfstreamDriver View Post

Press "MENU" twice.
Select "Setup"
Select "Cable Box Setup"
Select "Select to display"

Thank you,

My series 2 6412 died last week and I got a new 6412 series 3. I also have a Denon 4306, I donot have a HDTV hooked to it yet that will heppen next summer when the new HDTV's are available.

My firmware is 12.18. When i get my HDTV it looks like the HDMI will have both problems. The audio with D5.1 switching to PCM and the HDCP, HDMI passthru problem .

I hope Comcast get the upgrade out before I get my new tv.

-- Brandy
post #6959 of 10358 Old 02-08-2006, 11:01 AM

Shaw just pushed 12.26 this morning (it was 12.13) !!

It has solved the HDMI DD5.1 problem and also enabled VOD.

Also, MUCH faster fast forward and rewind. And a "Shaw Logo" + TOD screen saver when on "Pause".

Addition: When attempting to change channels on the tuner that is recording, you now get a menu to cancel, stop recording/change channels or swap tuners.
post #6960 of 10358 Old 02-08-2006, 04:42 PM

I set the box up two record a two hour basketball game set for 15 minute delay to stop. channel was digital, but SD broadcast. My wife was watching a different channel and saw the record light come on right at 7pm. The record light went off at 9:15. She hadn't changed channels or used the record features. I went to watch the game and recording was listed as 135 minutes.

I started to play it back. At 10 minutes into the recording the, the timebar scale switched from 0 to 135 and displayed 0 to 33. Sure enough, when I had watched to 33 minutes I got the "delete cancel" popup.

I played around with this. If I selected the recording to play from the beginning the bar always started out as 0 to 135, but switch to 0-33 10 minutes in. I could rewind and forward or resume from that point but always had the 0-33 bar.

The disk space consumed seemed about right for 135 minutes of recording. I was unable to access any of the program beyond the 33 minute mark. I could watch the first 33 minutes just fine, forwards and backwards.

Something I did? Bug? Disk problem? Thanks in advance if anybody can point me to right thread of list of known problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page