Sony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread - Page 987 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #29581 of 29599 Old 06-25-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillis84 View Post
d. clock is settable by RF from a VCR with tape
The clock on a DHG is set as part of data sent from a broadcast channel. The signal is injected as part of the daily download data dump that fills in the guide. The guide is sort of autonomous, extended by the DHG without help. The data fills in from the TV channel (could be cable feed of the channel). This whole ball of stuff is called TVGOS if you want to Google something. There have always been two parts: the time and the date. The time can be fudged, but nothing will ever get you the correct date. Plenty of posts about this.

As for the VCR tape, that means you have a tape and that tape has the TVGOS date and time. So you feed it at the proper time to the DHG. I did that for a while before going Motorola, then TiVo. Ironic part is the history of Rovi and TiVo. Read up on that, if you're into history. I had four Sony boxes. I had three Magnavox/Funai boxes and now have four TiVo boxes. I have no OTA ability.
jwillis84 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29582 of 29599 Old 06-25-2019, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One of my units quit working

After working continuously since 2005/2006, it seems that one of my three units quit working. After reset, the unit screen shows "Welcome" and sequences up to 6 and stays there. I don't recall seeing posts that relate how their unit quits working. I wonder if the unit will work as a tuner if I take out the two drives or if it will work with only one drive, assuming it is a drive failure?

Ray

Last edited by Ray1938; 06-25-2019 at 07:02 PM. Reason: removed reference to previous post
post #29583 of 29599 Old 06-26-2019, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray1938 View Post
I wonder if the unit will work as a tuner if I take out the two drives or if it will work with only one drive, assuming it is a drive failure?
Ray
While I never had a unit die, I had to replace noisy fans. One time I applied power without the hard drive connected and it would not boot. I don't recall if there was a "Welcome" message. The case is easy to remove.

I have had to replace three noisy fans in my TiVo Roamio boxes. Much harder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29584 of 29599 Old 06-26-2019, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
After working continuously since 2005/2006, it seems that one of my three units quit working. After reset, the unit screen shows "Welcome" and sequences up to 6 and stays there. I don't recall seeing posts that relate how their unit quits working. I wonder if the unit will work as a tuner if I take out the two drives or if it will work with only one drive, assuming it is a drive failure?

Ray

Since you are getting the "Welcome" screen, there are some other things you can access. I saved some instructions from when the unit was hanging up at some point similar to yours. It would seem that you have nothing to lose at this point, so you might want to try "Clear NVM", and if that doesn't work, go through it again and try "Zero HDD". See below, and take note that you sometimes need to hold buttons for a long time:

Hidden Front Panel Menu
When the unit boots up, the instant Welcome appears, press and hold Menu and Format simultaneously.
Keep holding until the display says Repair?.
Release both keys.

Then press and hold one of the following keys:

* Format to get Clear NVM? (NVM = non-volatile memory)
* Select to get Zero HDD? (resets CPRM code? does not appear to modify the disk itself)
* Exit to get Wipe Unit? (performs both a Clear NVM and Zero HDD in one operation)

Release the key.

Once one of the above questions is displayed, there is a lengthy confirmation step to actually
execute the operation. You'll notice there's a 1 displayed above the operation name.

1. Press and hold Guide until the number changes to a 2 (takes about 5 seconds).
2. Release Guide and press Exit until the number changes to a 3.
3. Release Exit and press Format until the number changes to a 4 - the operation will then begin.

I did not author these instructions, but I successfully followed them once. I probably don't remember much to help clarify them, but someone else here might be able to help, so just ask.

- Kerry

TiVo Premiere w/2TB internal upgrade and Lifetime Service. Sony DHG-HDD250 retired in 6/13: CableCARD, 1.2.13 firmware, reset weekday & time as needed with 147412356 code. (further time adjustments by the "Izzy method")
post #29585 of 29599 Old 06-27-2019, 01:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryNY View Post
Since you are getting the "Welcome" screen, there are some other things you can access. I saved some instructions from when the unit was hanging up at some point similar to yours. It would seem that you have nothing to lose at this point, so you might want to try "Clear NVM", and if that doesn't work, go through it again and try "Zero HDD". See below, and take note that you sometimes need to hold buttons for a long time:

Hidden Front Panel Menu
When the unit boots up, the instant Welcome appears, press and hold Menu and Format simultaneously.
Release both keys.

* Select to get Zero HDD? (resets CPRM code? does not appear to modify the disk itself)
* Exit to get Wipe Unit? (performs both a Clear NVM and Zero HDD in one operation)

Release the key.

Once one of the above questions is displayed, there is a lengthy confirmation step to actually
execute the operation. You'll notice there's a 1 displayed above the operation name.

1. Press and hold Guide until the number changes to a 2 (takes about 5 seconds).
3. Release Exit and press Format until the number changes to a 4 - the operation will then begin.

I did not author these instructions, but I successfully followed them once. I probably don't remember much to help clarify them, but someone else here might be able to help, so just ask.

- Kerry
Thanks for these suggestions. I will report the results after I try them.
Ray
post #29586 of 29599 Old 06-27-2019, 12:07 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillis84 View Post
Hello, from June 2019....
Oh Jeez . . .
JoeKustra likes this.

To anyone interested in a Google Chromebox or Chromebook..
Be aware that these boxes run a variant of Linux and DO NOT support HDCP!!!
This means no support for HD on most streaming services. I wish I would have known this beforehand....

Blu-rays & DVD's
post #29587 of 29599 Old 06-27-2019, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 53
First thought, about Time and EPG replacement.

If VHS tapes captured the legit signal, then an Uncompressed "interlaced" capture device could capture the video and reproduce it from a video file with the embedded time and date and possibly guide data

So even without understanding the Gemstar formats, they may be reproducible

confirmed pi-zero $5 bare bones computer has tv-out pins - rca-2-pi-zero

the absolute worst case is playing back captured video with tvgos embedded through the tv-out pins through an RF modulator and into the DHG

scheduling the playback of a video with known embedded time with actual time on the pi, should synchronize the recorder to actual time

the DHG also has a USB port which could provide power to the pi-zero

it might work for setting the time on other DVRs that also depend on tvgos

Last edited by jwillis84; 06-27-2019 at 04:21 PM.
post #29588 of 29599 Old 06-28-2019, 01:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for these suggestions. I will report the results after I try them.
Ray
I did what you suggested, and with all three options, a message ending with "?" displayed for a few seconds before returning to the Welcome count-up. Seemed like the unit expected an "Ok" in response to the question but didn't know how to do it.

Ray
post #29589 of 29599 Old 06-30-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I might just get the old Sony DVR out of the box and set it up again since the TiVo Bolt VOX is 100% unable to handle the recent Dallas Repack.

What? TiVo you cannot rescan all channels and automatically delete the ones that are no longer there, and set them up to the Grid? Seriously? Even after a "Clean and Delete Everything" and "Guided Setup"? What?
post #29590 of 29599 Old 06-30-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
I did what you suggested, and with all three options, a message ending with "?" displayed for a few seconds before returning to the Welcome count-up. Seemed like the unit expected an "Ok" in response to the question but didn't know how to do it.

Ray
I wish I knew something else to help.

It seems like you have nothing to lose by experimenting, disconnecting one drive at a time, etc.

- Kerry

TiVo Premiere w/2TB internal upgrade and Lifetime Service. Sony DHG-HDD250 retired in 6/13: CableCARD, 1.2.13 firmware, reset weekday & time as needed with 147412356 code. (further time adjustments by the "Izzy method")
post #29591 of 29599 Old 07-02-2019, 01:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I wish I knew something else to help.

It seems like you have nothing to lose by experimenting, disconnecting one drive at a time, etc.

- Kerry
Thanks for your suggestions.
The unit always powers up automatically, without pushing the power button, which is abnormal. So the cause is not a hard drive failure. Also, I removed the cover and heard both drives spinning.

Ray
post #29592 of 29599 Old 09-02-2019, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post
I might just get the old Sony DVR out of the box and set it up again since the TiVo Bolt VOX is 100% unable to handle the recent Dallas Repack.

What? TiVo you cannot rescan all channels and automatically delete the ones that are no longer there, and set them up to the Grid? Seriously? Even after a "Clean and Delete Everything" and "Guided Setup"? What?
But gives you all sorts of NEW channels that are OUT OF YOUR DMA! What a woderfully convinient and useless feature that requiers one to remove those stations from the "Receive" list so the TiVo does NOT attempt to record NOTHING on those channels because you can't receive them anyway because they at least 200-300 miles away. Shame on us for not getting a bigger and higher placed OTA antenna.
post #29593 of 29599 Old 09-03-2019, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Tivo trick is to find a zip code closer to the market you seek. use that one....

Still Miss the HDD250

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.
post #29594 of 29599 Old 10-10-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:

Hidden Front Panel Menu
Release both keys.

Release the key.

- Kerry

Well, at around 2:07am today / last night, while scanning my Cable channels, the word, "Sony" in white over a black background pops-up. Near the bottom of the screen is a long, thin, jagged horizontal line of multi-colored 'static' blocks. Looks like something I've seen on VCR when it mis-tracks.

I'd power-down and back up and a picture would be there for about 4 seconds and then my 250 would turn itself off. Before I got to do the above, quoted instructions, I end up pushing a number of key pairs while 'Welcome...' was on the DVR display. It ended up freezing at 'Welcome... 06'. Many minutes go by. Still frozen. So I unplug / plug-in and got it back to 'Welcome...' again.

Somewhere while trying the above info, I was at the 'NVM Clear' part, but I didn't see anything after holding the 'Format' button for a while. However, I did this part after 'Repair?' had disappeared. So, to start over, I unplugged / re-plugged and the Cable channel I last was on, stayed on! I scanned through the Cable channels slowly and quickly and watched a few recorded programs, quick-jumping (set at 15 second jumps) through commercials and non-interesting content, then deleted the programs. All seem back to normal.

The clock on the display came back. The time was way, way off, so being Thursday morning - Reset Day - to match Day-of-the-Week, I waited until 3:30am to do the 653 214 741 Reset. After the Menu drops off, I turn-off the DVR for 30-to-45 seconds and then back on. (There's a reason for this. I forgot, but it must be done after using this particular Reset Number Set.) The date on my 250 after Reset is 01/01/04.

Then, I edit all my Scheduled Programs 3-and-a-half hours ahead of time. I'll do this Reset again or just edit the Times again for the November changed to EST.

Question is, is this going to happen quickly again? Is this a failing Hard Drive? Interesting, in that it was just about 1-year to the day since I last did this 653 214 741 Reset. Many Scheduled Events were at 12/30/2004 and I saw at least one already at 2005. I wonder if this lock-up had anything to do with this? Guess I'd have to go another year before Resetting to find out, eh? (Assuming this problem has 'gone away'.)

- Pj
post #29595 of 29599 Old 10-11-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd View Post
Question is, is this going to happen quickly again? Is this a failing Hard Drive?
Who knows? At this point you are the one providing data about a DHG still running its old age.
I am curious why you reset at 3:30 AM, rather than midnight. Do you work odd hours, so you are awake at 3:30 anyway?

- Kerry

post #29596 of 29599 Old 10-13-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Who knows? At this point you are the one providing data about a DHG still running its old age.
I am curious why you reset at 3:30 AM, rather than midnight. Do you work odd hours, so you are awake at 3:30 anyway?

- Kerry

The problem happened at 2:07am - way past midnight on Thursday, which is Day-of-the-Week Reset Day. It was around 3:20am by the time I fussed around with the 250 and finally checked here and found your post and also I decided I didn't want to edit all my Scheduled Events with around a 6-hour difference. Thus, I chose to do a more even and shorter time-difference offset of 3 1/2 hours for now.

I'll probably edit my Scheduled Events on Saturday, Nov 2nd for the Time Zone change overnight then do a 653 214 741 reset that week at Midnight Thu, Nov 7th to get back in sync with the time and Day-of-the-Week.

I'm retired. It's quieter at late evening and overnight to watch a series or a movie or two or three or more.

So far, my 250 is still running ok. It's running better than the Cleveland Clownz at the moment. The Clownz must either beat Seattle today or New England after the Bye Week to stay alive for the Division Crown. Stop forcing the ball to OBJ, whose is doubled or triple covered. Do slants and pass dumps to the runners and tight-ends. Mixed it up on offense, otherwise Mayfield - looking too much for the bigger play - is hanging onto the feetball too much and will back sacked multiple times again today.

- Pj
post #29597 of 29599 Old 10-14-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I'll probably edit my Scheduled Events on Saturday, Nov 2nd for the Time Zone change overnight then do a 653 214 741 reset that week at Midnight Thu, Nov 7th to get back in sync with the time and Day-of-the-Week.

I'm retired. It's quieter at late evening and overnight to watch a series or a movie or two or three or more.

- Pj

Now it all makes sense!

- Kerry

post #29598 of 29599 Old 10-16-2019, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, it froze again on Sunday. Just a frozen image onscreen. Unplugged/re-plugged and it made it all the way through the 'Welcome' numbers, 1-thru-6. Edited my Scheduled Events. Changed Live/Rewind from 90 to 30 minutes just in case somehow that might reduce the freeze-ups. It's been running ok since Sunday.

- Pj
post #29599 of 29599 Old 10-17-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Changed Live/Rewind from 90 to 30 minutes just in case somehow that might reduce the freeze-ups. It's been running ok since Sunday.

- Pj

With my TiVo, I'm stuck with only 30 minutes of "live" TV. I do miss the longer option, but in your case, "whatever works", right?

- Kerry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
sony dhg-hdd250/500 , vizio 2016/2017 p50-c1 4k theatrical home display