Time Warner Cable Navigator - Page 633 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 371Likes

post #18961 of 19494 Old 04-07-2015, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjustin View Post
All better now, thankfully. I contacted TWC on Twitter and they replied that there was an outage in my area.

It lasted from 2:30am to 11:30am
I hope you asked for credits for that nine/9 hours!
kjpjr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18962 of 19494 Old 04-10-2015, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Haven't been here in a while.

FiOS will soon be available in my apartment building. Not sure I want to give up NY1 and The Weather Channel, though.

Time Warner Cable - New York City - Flushing, Queens
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD
Formerly Passport Echo 2.6.002
MDN 3.3.0-9-ptv (3.Dev)
post #18963 of 19494 Old 04-10-2015, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1Ravage View Post
Haven't been here in a while.

FiOS will soon be available in my apartment building. Not sure I want to give up NY1 and The Weather Channel, though.
Lucky you. I would get FIOS to dump TWC for faster Internet. I care not for The Weather Channel and NY1 (whatever that is).

Last edited by phildaant; 04-10-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18964 of 19494 Old 04-10-2015, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Lucky you. I would get dump TWC for faster Internet. I care not for The Weather Channel and NY1 (whatever that is).
As someone who has had both TWC & FiOS, let me tell you that FiOS is not all that great. It has worse software (harder to use, prone to have problems with software "upgrades", etc.

What IS good, is that the G1Ravage is now in a position to negotiate better terms with TWC.

Dave Hancock
post #18965 of 19494 Old 04-17-2015, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just posted this at Time Warner Cable Direct (https://www.dslreports.com/forum/timewarnerdirect):

For the past two days, Search on the STB ("B" on remote) is NOT returning HD channels (digital channel + 1000 in market) for all results. Previously, a search would return analog channel, digital channel and HD channel (e.g. USA is SD 33, SD 201 and HD 1201). It seems like TWC may have made a change such that only 33 and 1201 are returned, perhaps since 33 & 201 just point to the same channel. It also appears, though, that programs on some of the SD channels are mistakenly marked as HD. E.g., searching for a program on CBS should return SD 7 & HD 1007, but only channel 7 (with the program marked as HD) is returned by the search.

Please note that while we have one of your earlier iterations of channel numbers grouped by genre, we do not have your latest version, nor does our configuration automatically provide the HD channel. So that functionality shouldn't be causing the issue (unless it's partially and incorrectly implemented in our market).

Please look into this and let me know when the problem is resolved.

Thanks.

ODN 8.1.0_14, Arris DCX3600-M, Dayton Ohio
post #18966 of 19494 Old 04-20-2015, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have the cisco 8742 and also the cisco HD box (not sure of model number) and the volume out on these boxes seem REALLY low...When I am watching HDTV my pioneer vsx 822k needs to be turned to around 55 for volume to be able to be at a good level, when using the xbox one or any other source I can go down to 40...thats a big difference and the sound just isnt as "filling" on the cable box....anyone else have this issue? any fixes?
post #18967 of 19494 Old 04-20-2015, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart628 View Post
I have the cisco 8742 and also the cisco HD box (not sure of model number) and the volume out on these boxes seem REALLY low...When I am watching HDTV my pioneer vsx 822k needs to be turned to around 55 for volume to be able to be at a good level, when using the xbox one or any other source I can go down to 40...thats a big difference and the sound just isnt as "filling" on the cable box....anyone else have this issue? any fixes?
Verifying the obvious first. You have turned the volume up on the box (not just the TV)? Sometimes the remote is set to only adjust the TV volume so use the buttons on the box initially to get what you want. /Dan
post #18968 of 19494 Old 04-21-2015, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danki6x View Post
Verifying the obvious first. You have turned the volume up on the box (not just the TV)? Sometimes the remote is set to only adjust the TV volume so use the buttons on the box initially to get what you want. /Dan
Dan the 4742HDC does not have buttons on the front, and the HD Dvr does but I did check and the volume buttons do nothing. Are they suppose to?
post #18969 of 19494 Old 04-21-2015, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
in past when a 8742 setting for audio was set to narrow - sound was lower than when it was set to normal or wide.
post #18970 of 19494 Old 04-21-2015, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart628 View Post
Dan the 4742HDC does not have buttons on the front, and the HD Dvr does but I did check and the volume buttons do nothing. Are they suppose to?
My 4642 does adjust volume on the front. The 8742 DVR has volume on the front but do not seem to move while the channels do work. I could not find a setting either for volume changing. Must have been my previous DVR that I moved the volume before resetting the remote to only do the TV. Not sure if an unmodified remote will adjust volume on the 4742 you have.

/Dan
post #18971 of 19494 Old 04-22-2015, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danki6x View Post
My 4642 does adjust volume on the front. The 8742 DVR has volume on the front but do not seem to move while the channels do work. I could not find a setting either for volume changing. Must have been my previous DVR that I moved the volume before resetting the remote to only do the TV. Not sure if an unmodified remote will adjust volume on the 4742 you have.

/Dan
that gave me an idea, I have a onkyo remote and tried that, and it did not change volume, but I see in settings where volume is fixed and there is no way to change that, also I did change sound to narrow and that helped a bit, but still not very loud..oh well.
post #18972 of 19494 Old 04-24-2015, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 48
It looks like navigator will live a little longer now that the merger with Comcast isn't going to happen.

Does anyone have the TWC "enhanced" 6 tuner DVR? If so, can non-DVR boxes pause live tv or does trick play functionality only work for recorded programs?
phildaant likes this.
post #18973 of 19494 Old 04-24-2015, 05:41 PM
BWX

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Damn this P.O.S. Navigator to hell and the people who "program" it. The bane of my TV watching life.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav.7.1.2.1
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
post #18974 of 19494 Old 04-26-2015, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was given a procedure a couple years back here in Greensboro NC that enabled me to back up and restore the series manager settings on my Samsung SMT3272 DVRs. I seem to have misplaced this procedure. Is there someone who knows what I am talking about and can provide it to me?

Bear in mind it only backs up and restores the series manager settings. It does not do anything for recorded programs.

Thank you

ncmikey
TWC Signature Home Cisco 9865HDC DVR, ODN 7.3.2_20
post #18975 of 19494 Old 04-30-2015, 03:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Hey Guys,

Long time! What version of ODN is out now, and any forthcoming developments?

Jack

Cisco 9865HDC DVR with Spectrum Navigator Guide
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin
post #18976 of 19494 Old 05-01-2015, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmikey View Post
I was given a procedure a couple years back here in Greensboro NC that enabled me to back up and restore the series manager settings on my Samsung SMT3272 DVRs. I seem to have misplaced this procedure. Is there someone who knows what I am talking about and can provide it to me?

Bear in mind it only backs up and restores the series manager settings. It does not do anything for recorded programs.

Thank you
Only one I know is to take a picture with a camera and reload each one.... Where would the back-up go? /Dan
post #18977 of 19494 Old 05-05-2015, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Guys,

I just had my rusty crusty SA-8300HDC box replaced by an AWESOME tech, who gave us a new Cisco 8742. But at first, for like about an hour the Advanced Search was not available and the thing would not stop rebooting every 10 minutes and took forever to get updates.

I had to do a cold reboot followed by another unexpected boot up. Finally, the box is stable and has been OK for the past two hours. The cloud advanced search came on. I still have a tentative appointment to check out the line and signals tomorrow morning, unless the box behaves great for the next twelve hours or so.

I love the speed of the box. The new advanced search is amazing! One critique I have is that when you go to schedule a show for the DVR, there is no little icon indicator where you are in the navigation process. The colors for Record Show vs. Record Series are not definitive. The VOD cover art is very cool, and I love seeing the box guide in HD for the first time.

I said to the tech, "I love TWC services, but you really need to purge those SA boxes." He laughed and said, "I know, we are trying to get rid of them." I said, "You got a box made after 1990?" He laughed and said, "I can give you one from 1989!!!" hahahaha He check the build date of my four year old SA-8300HDC, and said "2005. I thought that the HDC's weren't made until 2007. Maybe he was joking.

Love the 500GB hard drive.

Satch

Last edited by Satch Man; 05-05-2015 at 11:33 PM.
post #18978 of 19494 Old 05-05-2015, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
If you folks go to MAXX -wait until you try the Arris DCX-3600M-DVR- 6 tuners & 1gb-for $3 more a month- At end of last yr discovered TWC store was getting them Christmas Eve- was in line when they opened with my Cisco 8742 & got the new 3600 M "expanded" DVR. Its not any faster than the old 8742 but 6 tuners & double the HD means no more conflicts. Still have 8742 in bedroom but thinking of turning that in as it's not been used much in last 4 months with the recording capacity & 6 tuners in new 3600M.
post #18979 of 19494 Old 05-05-2015, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

While there are some nice things about the Advanced Search on the newer boxes, here are some things that need improvement:

1.) The Cloud Search Returns incomplete results-For example today I searched for the classic series, "The Odd Couple" All the cloud returned was episodes from the below average CBS remake. Furthermore, for the remake, listings were not given for HD. It was either SD, VOD, or nothing. I could not find ME-TV's showing of The Odd Couple episode descriptions in the cloud search.

2.) Sports Data is incomplete in Cloud Search-I am a boxing fan, and this Saturday is the Kirkland-Alvarez fight. If I filter by Sports, or even select "All" with the keyboard, where is the HBO listing in the cloud search engine? It is nowhere to be found. If Boxing IS selected as a Genre or Event, I just get a bunch of VOD and PPV listings! There should be a Theme called Boxing, and live fights forthcoming as a part of that theme. This is one area where Searching by THEME, where live sports were included in the classic search was better on the legacy boxes

3.) The cloud data often does not synchronize with the Time Grid data. I had to go to the Time Grid to find my boxing shows.

4.) Replace the word Genre with the word "Theme." Make the ability to filter the keyboard by Theme in a future software update. Even if filtered by Sports category, the cloud search does not return all sports information.

5.) Bring back the legacy search B button functionality in a software update to modern boxes! Customers should be able to go to the Time Grid, hit "B." and see the listings of all the titles of a show in a search.

6.) Create a Live Sports category somewhere within the cloud-based search, so that customers can see what live sports are playing now.

Satch
phildaant likes this.

post #18980 of 19494 Old 05-06-2015, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Can't schedule by channel

My wife likes the 9:00 Saturday movies on SyFy. I was going to have that record every Saturday night with the new Cisco 9865. You can only record by show so I have to do this every week. Seems with all the other stuff it could do this. When the DVR's first came out you could do this as a manual record. Oh well some day we will have everything!
post #18981 of 19494 Old 05-06-2015, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Schedule record on TWC online.
phildaant likes this.
post #18982 of 19494 Old 05-11-2015, 09:57 AM

Satch:

In reply to your comments, I refer you to mine from upthread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch man View Post
while there are some nice things about the advanced search on the newer boxes, here are some things that need improvement:

1.) the cloud search returns incomplete results-for example today i searched for the classic series, "the odd couple" all the cloud returned was episodes from the below average cbs remake. Furthermore, for the remake, listings were not given for hd. It was either sd, vod, or nothing. I could not find me-tv's showing of the odd couple episode descriptions in the cloud search.

3.) the cloud data often does not synchronize with the time grid data. i had to go to the time grid to find my boxing shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswms View Post
just posted this at time warner cable direct (https://www.dslreports.com/forum/timewarnerdirect):

for the past two days, search on the stb ("b" on remote) is not returning hd channels (digital channel + 1000 in market) for all results. Previously, a search would return analog channel, digital channel and hd channel (e.g. Usa is sd 33, sd 201 and hd 1201). It seems like twc may have made a change such that only 33 and 1201 are returned, perhaps since 33 & 201 just point to the same channel. It also appears, though, that programs on some of the sd channels are mistakenly marked as hd. E.g., searching for a program on cbs should return sd 7 & hd 1007, but only channel 7 (with the program marked as hd) is returned by the search.

Please note that while we have one of your earlier iterations of channel numbers grouped by genre, we do not have your latest version, nor does our configuration automatically provide the hd channel. So that functionality shouldn't be causing the issue (unless it's partially and incorrectly implemented in our market).
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I couldn't tell if you're new to Advanced Search, but it and the On Demand Portal (in my market, channel 500) often don't contain episodes that do appear in the Free On Demand channels (the channel 400 series). New episodes of shows I want to catch up on often don't appear in search or OD Portal until a few days after they appear in the 400's. Some shows, particularly in Local On Demand, have NEVER shown up in search/Portal.

As far as our(?) issue about HD results not showing up in searches, I'm assuming that TWC might have partially and prematurely implemented the "new lineup" where HD or SD is automatically returned based on your TV. I've noticed that SD versions of shows are sometimes tagged as HD in the guide. My Time Warner Direct post was moronically answered with "oh, you were searching for the channels?" NO! Or "that's the way the new lineup works" Yeah, OK, sure -- if our market HAD the new lineup, f***wad!!

Either that, or possibly TV Guide has screwed it up.

Also, a couple of weeks ago, TWC broke the TWC How To and Local "Networks" in the Portal: previously the clips/shows were logically organized within folders, now they're just giant alphabetical lists.

On the good(?) side, in addition to "genre" directly from the Portal menu, other searches return Teams, Events, Genres and Channels, although there is no explicit filter for Events and Genres, nor is there any type of selectable key for them.

I've also found in the Portal that if there are 36 entries in any of the thumbnail groupings, if you hold down Right all the way to the end, there is a "View More" thumbnail. In a (surprise!) hugely inconsistent implementation, the results are more filtered than any other search/genre filter. For example, if you're within Movies and there's a Sci-Fi grouping, your results will only contain Sci-Fi movies, not TV shows, as you would get using a genre filter. Under TV and a Comedy grouping, you similarly wouldn't receive Comedy movies. And the results themselves are oddly formatted. There's an alphabet (and one # sign) to the left of the listings, you go Left and Down to the letter you want, then Select. Somewhat analogous to older versions of Search, instead of limiting results to those starting with your selected letter, it just positions you to that letter within the results list, and you can scroll above or below that position to all results. Kind of neat, and in some ways better than their current Advanced Search, but only implemented in a few obscure situations.

In other good news, rather than barely going out 6 days, a week or so ago the "normal" (not restricted to Portal) search results, Scheduled recordings and finally the guide itself started going out 12+ days. Something other providers have had for years has finally come to TWC!!

Is there any possible way that, now that the Comcast merger is off, that my market could still be traded to Charter??!! A guy can dream...
phildaant and Satch Man like this.

post #18983 of 19494 Old 05-11-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Question

Quote:
... In other good news, rather than barely going out 6 days, a week or so ago the "normal" (not restricted to Portal) search results, Scheduled recordings and finally the guide itself started going out 12+ days. Something other providers have had for years has finally come to TWC!!
Didn't old TWC's iGuide cable boxes go up to almost a couple weeks instead of its Navigator? I thought it was only Navigator that couldn't do it until recently.
post #18984 of 19494 Old 05-11-2015, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Satch:

As far as our(?) issue about HD results not showing up in searches, I'm assuming that TWC might have partially and prematurely implemented the "new lineup" where HD or SD is automatically returned based on your TV.
You can control which version of the channels catalog you want loaded from Field Tools.

Field Tools--->NCL Channels Catalog:
Use Default Logic
Always use HD Catalog
Always use SD Catalog

-nony
phildaant likes this.
post #18985 of 19494 Old 05-11-2015, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpjr View Post
My wife likes the 9:00 Saturday movies on SyFy. I was going to have that record every Saturday night with the new Cisco 9865. You can only record by show so I have to do this every week. Seems with all the other stuff it could do this. When the DVR's first came out you could do this as a manual record. Oh well some day we will have everything!
Can you do series record with options choose this time only so it gets it every week at 9 on Saturday? /Dan
phildaant likes this.
post #18986 of 19494 Old 05-11-2015, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 56
series record with options

It does not work that way, it is not considered a series so I believe I am stuck setting it up week by week.
post #18987 of 19494 Old 05-12-2015, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Satch:

In reply to your comments, I refer you to mine from upthread:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I couldn't tell if you're new to Advanced Search, but it and the On Demand Portal (in my market, channel 500) often don't contain episodes that do appear in the Free On Demand channels (the channel 400 series). New episodes of shows I want to catch up on often don't appear in search or OD Portal until a few days after they appear in the 400's. Some shows, particularly in Local On Demand, have NEVER shown up in search/Portal.

As far as our(?) issue about HD results not showing up in searches, I'm assuming that TWC might have partially and prematurely implemented the "new lineup" where HD or SD is automatically returned based on your TV. I've noticed that SD versions of shows are sometimes tagged as HD in the guide. My Time Warner Direct post was moronically answered with "oh, you were searching for the channels?" NO! Or "that's the way the new lineup works" Yeah, OK, sure -- if our market HAD the new lineup, f***wad!!

Either that, or possibly TV Guide has screwed it up.

Also, a couple of weeks ago, TWC broke the TWC How To and Local "Networks" in the Portal: previously the clips/shows were logically organized within folders, now they're just giant alphabetical lists.

On the good(?) side, in addition to "genre" directly from the Portal menu, other searches return Teams, Events, Genres and Channels, although there is no explicit filter for Events and Genres, nor is there any type of selectable key for them.

I've also found in the Portal that if there are 36 entries in any of the thumbnail groupings, if you hold down Right all the way to the end, there is a "View More" thumbnail. In a (surprise!) hugely inconsistent implementation, the results are more filtered than any other search/genre filter. For example, if you're within Movies and there's a Sci-Fi grouping, your results will only contain Sci-Fi movies, not TV shows, as you would get using a genre filter. Under TV and a Comedy grouping, you similarly wouldn't receive Comedy movies. And the results themselves are oddly formatted. There's an alphabet (and one # sign) to the left of the listings, you go Left and Down to the letter you want, then Select. Somewhat analogous to older versions of Search, instead of limiting results to those starting with your selected letter, it just positions you to that letter within the results list, and you can scroll above or below that position to all results. Kind of neat, and in some ways better than their current Advanced Search, but only implemented in a few obscure situations.

In other good news, rather than barely going out 6 days, a week or so ago the "normal" (not restricted to Portal) search results, Scheduled recordings and finally the guide itself started going out 12+ days. Something other providers have had for years has finally come to TWC!!

Is there any possible way that, now that the Comcast merger is off, that my market could still be traded to Charter??!! A guy can dream...
When you inquired about the Search not returning HD channels, what kind of responses did you get? Does TWC see this as a bug in your market, or with the search? Hopefully, the new search will be able to find all desired content soon. The keyboard search still needs work in this regard. But TWC is going in the right direction.

We are an SDV market here in Wisconsin, and have been with a theme based line-up since 2009, but not the Auto HD detection. Too many people I suspect with legacy boxes, whos DVR's would full up too fast if we went to auto HD. It sounds like you have the Auto HD function? Can this be turned on/off? There was a feature that allowed this, and I think, now it's gone. Not sure.

I do like the new DVR screens on the new boxes and the ability to delete multiple shows with just one click. I might have mentioned that I heard the B button on the new boxes has an update in the works that will allow all instances of a show to be seen like on the older boxes. This means that you won't have to re-key your searches every time.

Do you have the second column of new filters with the ability to sort the Time Gride alphabetically by Networks (A-Z), Kids Channels, and some other new filters? I heard that the new Theme lineup is required before the Sort by Network filter can be added. Not out in Wisconsin.

I hope TWC does NOT merge or sell to Charter. Charter likes to keep the older boxes on hand even worse than TWC! They don't have Whole House DVR or Signature Home. (Which is one of the reasons why President Tom Rutledge is interested in the merger.) What do you like about Charter?

Satch

Last edited by Satch Man; 05-12-2015 at 04:35 AM.
post #18988 of 19494 Old 05-13-2015, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Didn't old TWC's iGuide cable boxes go up to almost a couple weeks instead of its Navigator? I thought it was only Navigator that couldn't do it until recently.
Plildaant, I don't believe our market ever had iGuide. When we first upgraded to digital cable, we had Passport. About six weeks later, we were "downgraded" to Navigator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nony View Post
You can control which version of the channels catalog you want loaded from Field Tools.

Field Tools--->NCL Channels Catalog:
Use Default Logic
Always use HD Catalog
Always use SD Catalog

-nony
Nony, this is unfamiliar. Is it available when you have the Auto HD feature and/or is it available only on certain STBs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post
When you inquired about the Search not returning HD channels, what kind of responses did you get? Does TWC see this as a bug in your market, or with the search? Hopefully, the new search will be able to find all desired content soon. The keyboard search still needs work in this regard. But TWC is going in the right direction.

We are an SDV market here in Wisconsin, and have been with a theme based line-up since 2009, but not the Auto HD detection. Too many people I suspect with legacy boxes, whos DVR's would full up too fast if we went to auto HD. It sounds like you have the Auto HD function? Can this be turned on/off? There was a feature that allowed this, and I think, now it's gone. Not sure.

I do like the new DVR screens on the new boxes and the ability to delete multiple shows with just one click. I might have mentioned that I heard the B button on the new boxes has an update in the works that will allow all instances of a show to be seen like on the older boxes. This means that you won't have to re-key your searches every time.

Do you have the second column of new filters with the ability to sort the Time Gride alphabetically by Networks (A-Z), Kids Channels, and some other new filters? I heard that the new Theme lineup is required before the Sort by Network filter can be added. Not out in Wisconsin.

I hope TWC does NOT merge or sell to Charter. Charter likes to keep the older boxes on hand even worse than TWC! They don't have Whole House DVR or Signature Home. (Which is one of the reasons why President Tom Rutledge is interested in the merger.) What do you like about Charter?

Satch
Responses, Satch? Remember, this is TWC "Support" we're talking about.

Someone allegedly named "Jeremiah S" and allegedly from Buffalo, NY (I say "allegedly" because his use of grammar led me to believe that English was not his first language and that Buffalo might not be his true location.) first claimed that SD and HD channels in the new lineup were "merged" in favor of the one with the "best feed available". -- Not realizing that my market does not have the new lineup. Or, if my understanding is correct, that SD and HD would both still be available, with your settings automatically providing you the HD version, if appropriate. Or the notion that HD would always be, by default, the "best feed available".

After I explained that we didn't have the new lineup, "Darren S", also from "Buffalo", provided the highly unusual unplug for 30 seconds "advice".

After I tried that just to humor them and reported its ineffectiveness, "Jared B", with no city listed, but also clearly an ESL (or perhaps ETL as perhaps his langauges are Quechua, Spanish, then English; Gujarati, Hindi, then English; or Cebuano, Filipino, then English). "Lastly, I'll need to send updates to the box which may cause it to reset. May I send those now?" -- Sure, after my result-free power cycle, your reset will most certainly work.

Next, Jared thought I was searching for channels, not programs, and advised appending "HD" to the search. -- Sigh.

Finally, we return to the first "service" rep, Jeremiah, who said "This is not a mistake. While there are duplicates of some channels, if the HD feed is available for both channels the results would only return the one channel as to not cause confusion. If one channel is broadcasting in SD for the network and the other in HD, then both results would show up." Uh, OK, sure?

And, since May 2, no one has responded to my politely-worded "you're all flipping morons" final attempt to get a non-idiotic answer out of them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

No Satch, we absolutely do NOT have Auto HD here. We also don't have the second column of guide filters.

I have no special love for Charter, but under the Comcast/TWC merger, all of TWC's Ohio systems were to be traded to Charter. I can't see how Charter could possibly be any worse than TWC. I have out-of-state relatives who about 10 years ago were Charter customers and the DVR software they had back then was far superior to what TWC has today. It was Moxi (now Arris) and, if somewhat bizarre in design, worked quite nicely. The only big drawback was the presentation of guide data, which was improved by the addition of a grid-style guide. I believe that Moxi remains Charter's default DVR software, and if all show and series features can be accessed from the grid guide, I would be perfectly happy using it.

Why else would I prefer Charter? The 2013 and 2014 American Customer Satisfaction Indexes rank TWC second worst (out of all companies in the US) for customer satisfaction. Virtually every interaction I've had with these clowns bears this out (IMHO). 95% of the CSRs I've spoken with seem largely untrained, un- or under-informed and are not authorized to do anything other than resetting your STB or scheduling a truck roll. Beyond those problems, frankly (IMO), most of them don't seem to be the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree. I did once speak at length with a high "tier" CSR who was former Insight. She was clearly dismayed by some of the nonsense she had heard from me and others and was (over-optimistically) hopeful that Insight's former CEO, who had become TWC's head of customer satisfaction, would turn things around. The truck reps are also mostly clueless. There have only been one or two who actually seemed to know what they were doing. Too many times, a truck rep would come in and ask which "previous" cable operator had wired things so stupidly, or who in my household had put in a such a defective, low-quality splitter. -- Um, yeah. It was you guys.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tonight, I was just annoyed by the usual, minor crap. Fastforwarding within 5 minutes of the end of a program? Expecting an 8 second jumpback? No, that would make sense. Instead, let's zoom-jump directly to the Save/Delete/Restart dialog. Record an unimportant program on an SD channel? Comedy Central on channel 38? Well, that's also 207. But 207 isn't shown as "recording". Why should we expect the DVR to realize 38 and 207 are the same exact thing, just because it does realize that in other parts of the software? How silly! That would mean that the team which developed the code for when to place the red dot on the info banner would have actually had to talk to the entirely separate "place the red dot on the grid cells" coding team!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I honestly don't think TWC is going in the right direction. From what I've read from the six-tuner's beta testers, TWC has entirely scrapped the old Navigator software, which at least gets things right a quarter to half the time, and once again have started from scratch in-house. Yeah, I'd love for Navigator to be tossed in the garbage, but replaced by working off-the-shelf software, not by returning us to the horrors of 2008.

That's my time, and that's been my rant. I'll be here all week, folks!

post #18989 of 19494 Old 05-13-2015, 04:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Plildaant, I don't believe our market ever had iGuide. When we first upgraded to digital cable, we had Passport. About six weeks later, we were "downgraded" to Navigator.

Nony, this is unfamiliar. Is it available when you have the Auto HD feature and/or is it available only on certain STBs?

Responses, Satch? Remember, this is TWC "Support" we're talking about.

Someone allegedly named "Jeremiah S" and allegedly from Buffalo, NY (I say "allegedly" because his use of grammar led me to believe that English was not his first language and that Buffalo might not be his true location.) first claimed that SD and HD channels in the new lineup were "merged" in favor of the one with the "best feed available". -- Not realizing that my market does not have the new lineup. Or, if my understanding is correct, that SD and HD would both still be available, with your settings automatically providing you the HD version, if appropriate. Or the notion that HD would always be, by default, the "best feed available".

After I explained that we didn't have the new lineup, "Darren S", also from "Buffalo", provided the highly unusual unplug for 30 seconds "advice".

After I tried that just to humor them and reported its ineffectiveness, "Jared B", with no city listed, but also clearly an ESL (or perhaps ETL as perhaps his langauges are Quechua, Spanish, then English; Gujarati, Hindi, then English; or Cebuano, Filipino, then English). "Lastly, I'll need to send updates to the box which may cause it to reset. May I send those now?" -- Sure, after my result-free power cycle, your reset will most certainly work.

Next, Jared thought I was searching for channels, not programs, and advised appending "HD" to the search. -- Sigh.

Finally, we return to the first "service" rep, Jeremiah, who said "This is not a mistake. While there are duplicates of some channels, if the HD feed is available for both channels the results would only return the one channel as to not cause confusion. If one channel is broadcasting in SD for the network and the other in HD, then both results would show up." Uh, OK, sure?

And, since May 2, no one has responded to my politely-worded "you're all flipping morons" final attempt to get a non-idiotic answer out of them.

No Satch, we absolutely do NOT have Auto HD here. We also don't have the second column of guide filters.

I have no special love for Charter, but under the Comcast/TWC merger, all of TWC's Ohio systems were to be traded to Charter. I can't see how Charter could possibly be any worse than TWC. I have out-of-state relatives who about 10 years ago were Charter customers and the DVR software they had back then was far superior to what TWC has today. It was Moxi (now Arris) and, if somewhat bizarre in design, worked quite nicely. The only big drawback was the presentation of guide data, which was improved by the addition of a grid-style guide. I believe that Moxi remains Charter's default DVR software, and if all show and series features can be accessed from the grid guide, I would be perfectly happy using it.

Why else would I prefer Charter? The 2013 and 2014 American Customer Satisfaction Indexes rank TWC second worst (out of all companies in the US) for customer satisfaction. Virtually every interaction I've had with these clowns bears this out (IMHO). 95% of the CSRs I've spoken with seem largely untrained, un- or under-informed and are not authorized to do anything other than resetting your STB or scheduling a truck roll. Beyond those problems, frankly (IMO), most of them don't seem to be the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree. I did once speak at length with a high "tier" CSR who was former Insight. She was clearly dismayed by some of the nonsense she had heard from me and others and was (over-optimistically) hopeful that Insight's former CEO, who had become TWC's head of customer satisfaction, would turn things around. The truck reps are also mostly clueless. There have only been one or two who actually seemed to know what they were doing. Too many times, a truck rep would come in and ask which "previous" cable operator had wired things so stupidly, or who in my household had put in a such a defective, low-quality splitter. -- Um, yeah. It was you guys.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tonight, I was just annoyed by the usual, minor crap. Fastforwarding within 5 minutes of the end of a program? Expecting an 8 second jumpback? No, that would make sense. Instead, let's zoom-jump directly to the Save/Delete/Restart dialog. Record an unimportant program on an SD channel? Comedy Central on channel 38? Well, that's also 207. But 207 isn't shown as "recording". Why should we expect the DVR to realize 38 and 207 are the same exact thing, just because it does realize that in other parts of the software? How silly! That would mean that the team which developed the code for when to place the red dot on the info banner would have actually had to talk to the entirely separate "place the red dot on the grid cells" coding team!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I honestly don't think TWC is going in the right direction. From what I've read from the six-tuner's beta testers, TWC has entirely scrapped the old Navigator software, which at least gets things right a quarter to half the time, and once again have started from scratch in-house. Yeah, I'd love for Navigator to be tossed in the garbage, but replaced by working off-the-shelf software, not by returning us to the horrors of 2008.

That's my time, and that's been my rant. I'll be here all week, folks!
Good stuff!

Here in Wisconsin, our service has actually been good and we have had cable since 1985. Been with TWC since 1990. The crappy boxes were the main culprit. Phone and High Speed Internet, excellent. I like my Cisco 8742, the new guide, everything in HD. The new search as we both know is incomplete and needs work.

Had a great tech who actually admitted the boxes were crap! I said "You really need to purge those out-of-date, SA boxes." He agreed. I think so much depends on your division, your equipment, everything. We have had probably less than ten needs for a tech to come out since being with TWC.

However, globally, TWC has not been good, and many of their responses do appear scripted. As you said, reboot the box and schedule truck rolls is all that the CSR's know how to do. Ohio divisions, many are a mess with congested nodes and former Insight areas, where TWC never cleaned up the mess in those divisions when they took over.

Satch

Last edited by Satch Man; 05-13-2015 at 10:41 AM.
post #18990 of 19494 Old 05-13-2015, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
It should work on your box.
Take a look-
www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1219141-cisco-8640hdc-hd-dvr-thread.html#post22558679

-nony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page