Time Warner Cable Navigator - Page 636 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 372Likes

post #19051 of 19495 Old 07-08-2015, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmikey View Post
Thanks that's the procedure I remember now, but unfortunately I just tried it and it no longer works. I can't seem to get the "Field Tools" menu to come up.
Power off a b c settings power on settings scroll left one time voilà
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19052 of 19495 Old 07-08-2015, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmikey View Post
It's not working for me. I recall there being a Field Tools menu when I was given the procedure a few years back. But when I follow your procedure the Field Tools menu is not there. I am pressing Sel for 7 secs, release it then press Exit and release it, then press Settings and release, then left arrow. and the Field Tools menu does not appear. Am I doing something wrong?
Can anyone tell me what the functions in field tools actually do ? I have a Cisco 8742 hdc
Reset NV RAM ?
Reformat hard drive -self explanatory
Display diagnostics -same as hold select and down
Reload catalogs ?
Clear NV RAM ?
The rest I have figured out I just don't want screw anything up ! In the other diagnostic menu the Hold select and press up as I scroll thru the manufacturer diagnostics it shows the hard drive as drive 0 which is the wd5000 green that came with the box but just below it says drive 1 and all the stats are 0s does this mean there's room for a second internal hard drive in the box ? I own a hopper with sling 2tb which has a seagate ST2000VM003 I was thinking maybe it would be possible to remove that drive and reformat it to factory settings so it's wiped and wasn't sure if it would just plug in to a possible 2nd slot in the box if there is no second slot what are the chances swapping hard drives completely would work ? I have 2 of these Cisco boxes and a Cisco digital tuner but I have 5 kids and honestly the 1Tb total capacity for the two dvr boxes isn't enough internal memory I'm new to the forum and I can't get enough of reading all this useful information but i never seem to be able to locate the actual info I am searching for ! Also what benefits does the upgraded membership for the site have ?
post #19053 of 19495 Old 07-11-2015, 11:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Question Can't watch my movie/film rental on other cable boxes beside DVR?

Hello.

I rented a movie/film (American Sniper HD) from TWC's VoD for $5.99 earlier tonight. I paused about half-way to eat my dinner. I was going to watch it on the other HDTV with its non-DVR cable box (Arris/Motorola DCX3200M), but it said to buy. I was able to resume on the original box (DVR). Is buying a rental only for the box (Arris/Motorola DCX3510 DVR) it was bought on?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by phildaant; 07-11-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19054 of 19495 Old 07-14-2015, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi guys, seeing a lot of different diagnostics menu settings here, trying to get some clarification.

On TWC with Motorola DCX3510, DVR has disabled itself. Power cycle did not fix. I can get to the Diagnostic Menu by hitting power off, then "Select/OK', and I can get to the regular settings by hitting power off, then "menu", but I can't seem to find where to do a software reset (the kind that reloads the firmware but doesn't wipe the hard drive). Anyone?
phildaant likes this.
post #19055 of 19495 Old 07-14-2015, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorroboto View Post
Hi guys, seeing a lot of different diagnostics menu settings here, trying to get some clarification.

On TWC with Motorola DCX3510, DVR has disabled itself. Power cycle did not fix. I can get to the Diagnostic Menu by hitting power off, then "Select/OK', and I can get to the regular settings by hitting power off, then "menu", but I can't seem to find where to do a software reset (the kind that reloads the firmware but doesn't wipe the hard drive). Anyone?
You might want to ask in here too:
http://forums.timewarnercable.com/
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/twc
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/timewarnerdirect
post #19056 of 19495 Old 07-19-2015, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 89
TWC Auto HD Now Activated in Milwaukee Wisconsin

Been waiting for this!

Auto HD is now on TWC, which means that you don't have to punch the 1 button first to get the HD station. (Although the old method still works.)

Satch

Cisco 9865HDC DVR with Spectrum Navigator Guide
Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin
post #19057 of 19495 Old 07-19-2015, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
What about ppl who dont want HD,they just want a standard picture like they always had and liked? (SD)
phildaant likes this.
post #19058 of 19495 Old 07-20-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 166
1. Buy a Happauge capture card hook the analog outputs up.
2. Capture the video
3. Download a tool called VideoRedo and set to crop to 4:3
4. Set encoder to MPEG2 and 640x480 - make sure to use a high enough compression to get artifacts
5. ...
6. Profit?
post #19059 of 19495 Old 07-21-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
SD only people can use an SD box, but if an HD box is set to 480i (SD), then you will get SD channels, which disables auto HD.
post #19060 of 19495 Old 07-21-2015, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
San Diego is at ODN v7.3.2_20. Not many changes, but the search app on Advanced boxes has a preview window. Not much else for changes, but the guide lists the user selected filtering option, and there are likely bug fixes under the hood.
post #19061 of 19495 Old 07-21-2015, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005
SD only people can use an SD box, but if an HD box is set to 480i (SD), then you will get SD channels, which disables auto HD.

Well thats goood to know they havent cut ppl off!!
post #19062 of 19495 Old 07-27-2015, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post
San Diego is at ODN v7.3.2_20. Not many changes, but the search app on Advanced boxes has a preview window. Not much else for changes, but the guide lists the user selected filtering option, and there are likely bug fixes under the hood.
Playing recordings is a pain now. You hit Play to start one. Then when done you need to move to Delete, then verify YES you want to delete, then you end up back in the list instead of on live TV. I know they probably had people accidentally delete things, but too many button pushes to kill things now and could not find an option to "not verify delete" or the like. /Dan
phildaant likes this.
post #19063 of 19495 Old 07-27-2015, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 106
TWC HBO-HD Movie Pixelation

Since we have a bunch of knowledgeable TWC customers here, I hope it's ok to post this question.

We recorded John Wick from one of the HBO-HD channels the other day, and watched it last night.

The Dolby Digital 5.1 sound was fine, but the video had picture pixilation around fast moving picture elements. It happened about 10 times that were very noticeable and spaced through-out the whole movie.

No other live or recorded content does this. It appears their selected video compression or bit-rate is too aggressive on this channel or movie.

My question is ...

Who should I notify (that would actually get to the right people and make a difference)? TWC or HBO? Also, best way to contact them.
phildaant likes this.

Epson 8350 3LCD Projector (96" @ 1080p) ~ Panasonic 850u 46" Plasma TV (1080p)
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR ~ Cisco 8742hdc DVR (Spectrum) ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
AppleTV-4 (iTunes,Plex,MA,Asphalt-8) ~ Simple Control HA ~ Alexa Echo Plus w/Hub
Harmony 670 Remote ~ HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media-Server ~ Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center, 60 pair, three 40's / PSW-505 12-Inch Sub = 6.1
post #19064 of 19495 Old 07-27-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
Since we have a bunch of knowledgeable TWC customers here, I hope it's ok to post this question.

We recorded John Wick from one of the HBO-HD channels the other day, and watched it last night.

The Dolby Digital 5.1 sound was fine, but the video had picture pixilation around fast moving picture elements. It happened about 10 times that were very noticeable and spaced through-out the whole movie.

No other live or recorded content does this. It appears their selected video compression or bit-rate is too aggressive on this channel or movie.

My question is ...

Who should I notify (that would actually get to the right people and make a difference)? TWC or HBO? Also, best way to contact them.
Maybe both?
post #19065 of 19495 Old 07-28-2015, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post
Any screenshots of the new search (B search all titles of a show update.) for ODN 7.3.2.20? Would like to compare to the legacy boxes.

Satch
phildaant likes this.

post #19066 of 19495 Old 07-30-2015, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
We have Auto-HD tune in Western PA, but I didn't realize this because I barely use my navigator box these days.
Similar note TWC's roku app is really solid

Time Warner Cable North East Ohio
SA 4250 HDC no more
Cisco 4742 HDC
Let's Go Bucs!
post #19067 of 19495 Old 08-05-2015, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Man View Post
Auto HD is now on TWC, which means that you don't have to punch the 1 button first to get the HD station. (Although the old method still works.) Satch
I'm guessing this is a DVR-only function? Since the channel standardization last fall here in Los Angeles County (South Bay) there are very few channels in both SD and HD. IIRC the HD version would be in the 13nn channel range.

As mentioned, the declining old school (CRT) SDTV is covered by the 4:3 output and 480i settings. To add to the confusion, my fav PBS station seems to be broadcasting 16:9 programming at 480i (all four streams) in 4:3 squish-o-vision but TWC shows it correctly. Hmmm. TV tuner probably doesn't understand anamorphic, typical crippled CE.

In other ODN 'upgrade' news, the latest upgrade made minor cosmetic changes to the guide but seem to correlate with pixelation on specific channels never seen before. Some streams even stall out and must be reactivated by changing channels. Not likely a local signal problem, my drop was replaced two months ago after some bubba installer disconnected me while investigating a 'signal ingress' issue for another customer.

Disgusted Spectrum non-DVR subscriber. Meet the New 'Boss', same as the Old 'Boss'.
SetTopBox: Motorola DCX3200-M (non DVR), ODN v8.0.0

Last edited by DiveFan; 08-05-2015 at 05:39 PM.
post #19068 of 19495 Old 08-06-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Live Boxing Shows Missing and Vanishing From Set Top Box Advanced Search Keyboard:

This is an on-going bug going on with the advanced search set top box keyboard in which I have asked TWC to send a bug report. Live Boxing Shows are vanishing from the keyboard search when boxing is typed on the keyboard and "Boxing Event" is selected. When this happens, note the following:

1.) When keying 'Boxing on the Advanced STB keyboard and Selecting the Boxing Event Folder, the Correct Result shows two folders. BOTH FOLDERS NEED TO SAY BOXING AND NOTHING ELSE, FOR THE DATA TO BE CORRECT. The top folder shows all the live boxing shows on broadcast TV, standard cable, premium cable, and PPV for the next 7-14 days. This result should always be there. The top folder shows live data. The bottom folder NEVER shows live data, only VOD content.

2.) Most of the time, when keying in "Boxing" on the keyboard, and selecting "Boxing Event" only one folder will show that contains only VOD content. The top folder labeled "Boxing" will be incorrectly replaced with a boxing match that is several weeks to a month old, maybe more than that. Sometimes a folder that says "Premier Boxing Champions" will simply show old fights when selected, replacing the top "Live" boxing folder, When this happens, it is not possible to search for live boxing shows using the Advanced STB keyboard. One must either use the Time Grid, or select another guide option such as TWC TV.com or an on-line guide. The advanced search keyboard on the STB cannot be trusted to show live show boxing data all the time.

3.) A pattern to this bug seems to be that at the beginning of the week, when keying in "Boxing" on the advanced search keyboard, and selecting "Boxing Event" the correct two tier folder structure will be there. The top folder correctly shows all live boxing data for at least the next week. The bottom folder shows VOD content. For this example assume this begins on a Sunday, with the correct data. By Tuesday or Wednesday, the incorrect data back. The live boxing folder is incorrectly replaced with an old boxing match. It than takes about three days of the data being incorrect. By the following Sunday or Monday, the correct data shows with the two-tier folder structure in place. However, the correct two-tier Boxing Folder data does not "hold." By the middle of the week, the correct two-tier folder, when searching for Boxing on the keyboard, and selecting "Boxing Event" is gone again.

4.) Note that Wisconsin does not have the latest ODN build where the "B" search returns all instances of a selected show. I have submitted feedback about this issue to TWC's Direct Forum and have also asked them to forward this information to our local Wisconsin division.

5.) What do you think is causing this data to not hold? Is this a TWC issue or a Tribune Media Services Listing issue? I wonder if this has been fixed in the latest ODN B button show all title searches.

6.) This bug has occurred for me on both Arris and Cisco set tops. I never had this problem with the old SA model box search system.

Discussion here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r301...anced-Keyboard

Satch

post #19069 of 19495 Old 08-06-2015, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hmm, my closed captionings' font sizes are weird in last night's Mr. Robot episode. Some are normal big (left side), others are tiny thin unreadable (right side), and middle is between those sizes. This on a year old Motorola/Arris DCX3510 DVR. Maybe I need to reboot this DVR? I haven't checked the other channels and recordings.
post #19070 of 19495 Old 08-06-2015, 11:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Hmm, my closed captionings' font sizes are weird in last night's Mr. Robot episode. Some are normal big (left side), others are tiny thin unreadable (right side), and middle is between those sizes. This on a year old Motorola/Arris DCX3510 DVR. Maybe I need to reboot this DVR? I haven't checked the other channels and recordings.
It looks like it was only Mr. Robot episode so far.
post #19071 of 19495 Old 08-07-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
5.) What do you think is causing this data to not hold? Is this a TWC issue or a Tribune Media Services Listing issue? I wonder if this has been fixed in the latest ODN B button show all title searches.
Satch
At this point I can't tell, but I forgot to mention above that the Guide content and searching thoroughness seems to have regressed.

Before the recent ODN upgrade(s) the new 'B' search would find results up to eight or so days out - fantastic for me. Now it is very inconsistent as I've noticed searching for known titles of FIFA soccer and Special Olympics shows recently. Worse, the guide updates often stop at midnight here (could be a local issue, anyone else notice?) and only a reboot will get the data back.

TWC moves Onward to 2011!
phildaant likes this.

Disgusted Spectrum non-DVR subscriber. Meet the New 'Boss', same as the Old 'Boss'.
post #19072 of 19495 Old 08-07-2015, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveFan View Post
At this point I can't tell, but I forgot to mention above that the Guide content and searching thoroughness seems to have regressed.

Before the recent ODN upgrade(s) the new 'B' search would find results up to eight or so days out - fantastic for me. Now it is very inconsistent as I've noticed searching for known titles of FIFA soccer and Special Olympics shows recently. Worse, the guide updates often stop at midnight here (could be a local issue, anyone else notice?) and only a reboot will get the data back.

TWC moves Onward to 2011!
Dive Fan,

Yea, I can't believe that a supposed "Advanced" keyboard search could be so inconsistent. I was looking forward to the latest ODN update. But thanks for pointing out the new search problems with the Advanced Search Keyboard. The new system has been out on the new set tops for about two years. If the show is in the system, the keyboard should be able to find it. I did submit a bug report about the live boxing show data top folder not holding and vanishing in approximate 12-72 hour increments. But who knows how easy or not so easy this bug is to fix?

On the other hand, the online guide through TWCTV.com through "My Account" does show the data more reliably and consistently.

Satch
phildaant likes this.

post #19073 of 19495 Old 08-07-2015, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My DVR's search shows "Attention -- Currently Unavailable Please try again later [OK]"

Bah!
post #19074 of 19495 Old 08-08-2015, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Dive Fan,

Yea, I can't believe that a supposed "Advanced" keyboard search could be so inconsistent. I was looking forward to the latest ODN update. But thanks for pointing out the new search problems with the Advanced Search Keyboard. The new system has been out on the new set tops for about two years. If the show is in the system, the keyboard should be able to find it. I did submit a bug report about the live boxing show data top folder not holding and vanishing in approximate 12-72 hour increments. But who knows how easy or not so easy this bug is to fix?

On the other hand, the online guide through TWCTV.com through "My Account" does show the data more reliably and consistently.

Satch
I'm NEVER surprised when TWC can't do something right. Advanced search here has stopped returning local news, Judge Judy, PBS painting shows and Lord knows what else. Charter! Charter! Charter!
phildaant likes this.

ODN 8.1.0_14, Arris DCX3600-M, Dayton Ohio
post #19075 of 19495 Old 08-08-2015, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswms View Post
I'm NEVER surprised when TWC can't do something right. Advanced search here has stopped returning local news, Judge Judy, PBS painting shows and Lord knows what else. Charter! Charter! Charter!
Did you guys tell TWC about it? Maybe if they get enough complaints, then they will have to fix it.

Also, my DVR's search works again. I wonder WTFrak happened last night!
post #19076 of 19495 Old 08-08-2015, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

At the TWC Community Forum, I have created a "Where The Advanced Search Needs Improvement." going from May 2015 (When we first got the modern box,) active to this day Registered users can submit feedback about the STB advanced search here. I give tips as well: (reply to the topic with your own specific advanced search issues.)

»forums.timewarnercable.c ··· 8#U74018

Satch
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by Satch Man; 08-08-2015 at 10:59 AM.
post #19077 of 19495 Old 08-08-2015, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
At the TWC Community Forum, I have created a "Where The Advanced Search Needs Improvement." going from May 2015 (When we first got the modern box,) active to this day Registered users can submit feedback about the STB advanced search here. I give tips as well: (reply to the topic with your own specific advanced search issues.)

»forums.timewarnercable.c ··· 8#U74018

Satch
I e-mailed [email protected], and its Jordan H. answered me quickly: "Ant, thanks for the feedback. I'll pass this along to our technical contacts."
post #19078 of 19495 Old 08-08-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Did you guys tell TWC about it? Maybe if they get enough complaints, then they will have to fix it.
Yeah, right. TWC has mastered the 'hands-over-ears' technique.

Things are really FUBAR here:
- just checked the PG info, it had NOT been updated since last night!

- CORRECTION - PG discrepancy was a local brain cramp. :-(

Also noticed a really nasty feature takeaway: non-DVR users can no longer set the 'Reminder Timer' for future occurrances from within Search - How Effing Pointless!!

As they say, I'm spring loaded to the Pissed Off position!!

Last edited by DiveFan; 08-09-2015 at 11:03 AM. Reason: misteaken observation
post #19079 of 19495 Old 08-08-2015, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveFan View Post
Yeah, right. TWC has mastered the 'hands-over-ears' technique.

Things are really FUBAR here:
- just checked the PG info, it had NOT been updated since last night!
- after reboot did some searching and found that the PG search results did Not match the guide! Right now (9pm Pacific) there is a Dropkick Murphys concert on Palladia. Search indicates multiple occurrances including one at midnight. Scrolling through the PG shows a completely different program (Jools Holland).
WHICH ARE WE SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE?

Also noticed a really nasty feature takeaway: non-DVR users can no longer set the 'Reminder Timer' for future occurrances from within Search - How Effing Pointless!!

As they say, I'm spring loaded to the Pissed Off position!!
Hence, why we all need to complain and keep bugging them.

The only ear not covered is their logo! :P
post #19080 of 19495 Old 08-09-2015, 01:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hence, why we all need to complain and keep bugging them.

The only ear not covered is their logo! :P
Exactly Ant!

It's not like we are asking for an unreasonable thing. We just want the search systems to find the requested information on the boxes, just like any other search platform. This isn't even a feature request, it's fixing a bug.

Satch
phildaant likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page