LS50s powered with 10WPC - how low can you go? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 05-22-2020, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LS50s powered with 10WPC - how low can you go?

My normal amp for my LS50s is a Marantz PM7005 which is rated at 60W @ 8 ohms, and 80W @ 4 ohms. That amp is great. It's made in Japan, on the reference line.

Last week, I received a Nobsound 10W Class A amp, based on the 1969 Hood design. It has a large copper toroidal transformer, and some vintage transistors, large caps, and an Alps pot.

Anyways, it is now powering the LS50s, and the music from vinyl (Marantz TT15S1 with Clearaudio Wood MM cart and Parks Puffin phono pre), and CD (Marantz CD5005 through Schiit Modi Multibit DAC), sounds very good.

I don't listen loud (max 70db), and have a powered sub. Am enjoying the low powered amp quite a bit. Will likely swap again back and forth to see which amp stays, or maybe a Schiit Aegir, which is also low powered, but can exceed 10W to 20W with some kind of juju scaling in which after 10W Class A, it goes Class AB or something like that.

LS-50s, Q150s, Marantz PM-7005, CD-5005, TT15S1 table, Schiit Modi Multibit, Mani, Parks Audio Puffin, Magnavox CDB 482, 1969 Hood Class A amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply KEF Music Lounge

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page