• 3 Post By Tom Vodhanel

post #1 of 2 Old 02-05-2020, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3142 Post(s)
Liked: 11105
New speaker design update

As I have discussed previously in our subwoofer thread I have been working with a company in china to supply a variety of designs. One of the primary goals is to alleviate current production bottle-necks---specifically the ability to finish cabinets in our "satin black".

Originally I was going to start with two subs. A small sealed 12 inch and a larger vented 18. I'm about done with the sealed 12 now. But I've decided on a complete re-design for the larger vented 18. So that won't be ready to go into production until the second shipment from china. In its place, I may go with a variation on our MT110, MT110sur, and MTM210 speakers(no towers initially). I have been evaluating all three of the above with a variety of lower cost tweeter and woofer options. Long story short---I'm not loving the performance compromises inherent to the lower cost stuff. It could just be misguided pride to some degree but it is difficult for me to say "meh, this is good enough for the price point". At least it is difficult when our current speaker designs have been garnering universal praise for years now.

So now I'm working out the logistics of it all. Instead of the speakers being made in china I'm now leaning towards us continuing to do all of the assembly here in Ohio. And we'll use the exact same woofer, tweeter, and tweeter horn as well. The good news is that ensures identical performance to current speaker models. And it also ensures current QC standards remain on site. Nothing against anyone else but assembling it all here, measuring every speaker before final QC, it just lets us all here sleep a little better. The bad news is cost of course.

My original goal was $399-449 per 110 and $499-549 per 210. That's not going to happen now. I can't say where we'll end up for sure yet but 499(110) and 599(210) would be best case.

Anyway, I just want to keep everyone in the loop. I still have some decisions ahead of me regarding all of this.

And nothing will be shipping for 14-18 weeks so please don't start emailing me about a "pre order" or anything like that..

Tom V.
Team Power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newfinish_1.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	2681042   Click image for larger version

Name:	newfinish_3.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	2681044   Click image for larger version

Name:	newfinish2.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	2681046  
jasonwc07, JonnyVee and rhelliott2 like this.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-11-2020, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
And nothing will be shipping for 14-18 weeks so please don't start emailing me about a "pre order" or anything like that..
Is this just in reference to the speaker designs you're working on... or the 12" sub (that is nearing completion) as well?

The 12 inch sealed sub is pretty much done. I'm just experimenting a little with the DSP to find the optimal balance for sound quality purposes. On the component level side it's all done except for a couple minor choices still to figure out. Again, nothing major. Stuff like the style of speaker level input connectors. Believe it or not I bet 10-15% of potential buyers on this that have contacted me need those. The only other decision would be finish option. Going with 50/50 black ash or matte....or 100% of one.

But, specific to your question---all of the above(speakers and little 12 sub) won't be here in Ohio and shipping to new customers for 14-18 weeks.

Tom V.
Team Power.

Last edited by Tom Vodhanel; 02-11-2020 at 08:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Power Sound Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page