October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 1011 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20955Likes

post #30301 of 30445 Old 11-13-2019, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 934
Saw Dr. Sleep tonight. Really enjoyed it and I can foresee me doing a crazy long double-feature with The Shining for next year's challenge. It's not a 5 star experience like it's big brother, but rock solid nonetheless. Go see it peeps!

OG October Horrorfest Contributor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30302 of 30445 Old 11-14-2019, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
The Our Gang Story:
A History of the
Little Rascals

DIRECTOR: Paul Harris

STARRING : George "Spanky" McFarland, Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer, Billie "Buckwheat"Thomas, "Darla" Hood, & many more !!!

The Little Rascals, originally known as Our Gang, have stirred up irresistible trouble ever since the short comedies debuted on silent film in 1922. Chubby and scrawny, bossy and sweet, black and white: The producer, Hal Roach, saw to it that his posse of children was motley. Bob McGowan, the avuncular director, made sure the crew never ran out of hijinks. How about a firecracker in a birthday cake?

A fascinating jam-packed documentary covering over 20 years and 200 episodes of Hal Roach's childhood magic! It offers many film clips & follows each Gang member's career. A warm tribute that brings out the little rascals in all of us.
Loved every minute... some new footage and updates I've never seen before. 10/10 (DVD, 2017) ebay:

Vision: Man Cave: XBR-65" Sony Z9D HDR 3-D Bedroom: Sony KDL- 65" W850A 3-D
Sound: Denon AVR-X4500H Front: Klipsch Epic CF-4 Rear: Klipsch Epic CF-2 Center: Klipsch KV-4 SuB: Klipsch KSW-15
Smarts: Sony UBP-X700 4K 3-D Player Dolby Vision, AppleTV-4K , PS4 , PS3 , XBOX 360 , Wii , Monster Power HTS3600 MKII
post #30303 of 30445 Old 11-15-2019, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3152 Post(s)
Liked: 4947
Mandalorian now has 80 minutes. All of which are superior to any 80 in TLJ.
tenthplanet and RobKnapp like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30304 of 30445 Old 11-16-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2418 Post(s)
Liked: 2047
Watched "The Final Wish" on Showtime (via Hulu) last night. Stars Michael Welch and Lin Shaye in a horror film about guy who returns home and finds a vase among his deceased father's collection that grants wishes not always with good outcomes. A little slow getting started but worth a watch. Three and a half mirrors.
post #30305 of 30445 Old 11-17-2019, 02:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Watched "The Final Wish" on Showtime (via Hulu) last night. Stars Michael Welch and Lin Shaye in a horror film about guy who returns home and finds a vase among his deceased father's collection that grants wishes not always with good outcomes. A little slow getting started but worth a watch. Three and a half mirrors.
https://youtu.be/TRIbc4v-c6E
I don't know what it is, but Lin Shaye doesn't do it for me. Ever since the first Insidious and the further...I've been completely unable to buy in (btw, I still really liked Insidious 1)

Much preferred her in Kingpin and There's Something About Mary. A couple legendary flicks right there.
RobKnapp likes this.

OG October Horrorfest Contributor
post #30306 of 30445 Old 11-17-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not horror but I rented "Yesterday" on BD and thought it was exceptional. I'm a Danny Boyle fan anyway and plan to get the UHD disc because it was shot in 8K with the digital intermediate in 4K. The big surprise is that the musical performances were filmed live not lip sync and Himesh Patel did an outstanding job performing the tunes.
post #30307 of 30445 Old 11-17-2019, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 7250 Post(s)
Liked: 16482
Quote:
Not horror but I rented "Yesterday" on BD and thought it was exceptional. I'm a Danny Boyle fan anyway and plan to get the UHD disc because it was shot in 8K with the digital intermediate in 4K. The big surprise is that the musical performances were filmed live not lip sync and Himesh Patel did an outstanding job performing the tunes.
Yesterday has been in my Netflix queue since it was released. They never send it to me tho. Don't know why I keep their disc service.

post #30308 of 30445 Old 11-18-2019, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
Diablo III
Reaper of Souls

The denizens of hell crowd to meet you as you enter their domain.

I stopped gaming for two years due to my time with Diablo 3. Did not even turn on my PS4. I should have kept it OFF. I started to play Diablo 3 due to the BlizzCon announcements of the upcomingDiablo 4

I swear this game is so addicting.....it's been nice knowing you all.

My Diablo 3 Season 19 Custom "Barbarian" Furious Charge Build Guild video.

See you Boys in HELL

My written Diablo 3 Build Guilds 22 total : https://www.diablofans.com/members/5...ieknapp/builds
darthrsg and tenthplanet like this.

Vision: Man Cave: XBR-65" Sony Z9D HDR 3-D Bedroom: Sony KDL- 65" W850A 3-D
Sound: Denon AVR-X4500H Front: Klipsch Epic CF-4 Rear: Klipsch Epic CF-2 Center: Klipsch KV-4 SuB: Klipsch KSW-15
Smarts: Sony UBP-X700 4K 3-D Player Dolby Vision, AppleTV-4K , PS4 , PS3 , XBOX 360 , Wii , Monster Power HTS3600 MKII

Last edited by RobKnapp; 11-18-2019 at 07:53 PM.
post #30309 of 30445 Old 11-19-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The horror continues as I watched the French found footage film "3:15" on Amazon Sunday night. It was okay and bit more grim than some of our US found footage films. I also had to watch George Romero's "Season of the Witch" last night on Shudder. Strange, so strange visit to the early 1970s suburbia.

PG&E is promising another blackout tomorrow but not at my address. However it is in the burg south of me which Comcast runs through. Strange, so strange.
post #30310 of 30445 Old 11-19-2019, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2265 Post(s)
Liked: 3566
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKnapp View Post
Diablo III
Reaper of Souls

I stopped gaming for two years due to my time with Diablo 3. Did not even turn on my PS4. I should have kept it OFF. I started to play Diablo 3 due to the BlizzCon announcements of the upcomingDiablo 4

See you Boys in HELL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMtZs3clk3k&t=44s

My written Diablo 3 Build Guilds 22 total : https://www.diablofans.com/members/5...ieknapp/builds
As Lucifer would say: "What is it you truly desire"

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #30311 of 30445 Old 11-19-2019, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Saw 'Doctor Sleep', good meaty King adaptation for fans and non-fans of 'The Shinning'. Starts slow and then.... Nicely creepy, feels like King..Flanagan gets it. See it, and it's also safe as a blind buy. Don't wait till next October.
ApolloCreed and Ben23 like this.

post #30312 of 30445 Old 11-19-2019, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2033 Post(s)
Liked: 917
It Chapter Two is out on digital.
post #30313 of 30445 Old 11-19-2019, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
The horror continues as I watched the French found footage film "3:15" on Amazon Sunday night. It was okay and bit more grim than some of our US found footage films. I also had to watch George Romero's "Season of the Witch" last night on Shudder. Strange, so strange visit to the early 1970s suburbia.

PG&E is promising another blackout tomorrow but not at my address. However it is in the burg south of me which Comcast runs through. Strange, so strange.

I praise the workers, but screw the Management and their piss poor decisions over the past few decades.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #30314 of 30445 Old 11-20-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I praise the workers, but screw the Management and their piss poor decisions over the past few decades.
This whole county as well as a number of other SF Bay Area counties are off the hook this morning. Just counties further norther got shut off.
Jive Turkey likes this.
post #30315 of 30445 Old 11-20-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Diablo III
Reaper of Souls

See you Boys in HELL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMtZs3clk3k&t=44s

I'm still a 2 fan and thought 3 was just ok but still played it for 100 hours. I'm really waiting for Baldur's Gate 3. Also if you're looking for a Diablo type game try out Path of Exile.
post #30316 of 30445 Old 11-20-2019, 05:55 PM

Update: The black space in between the ending credit names and roles for The Mandalorian is better than TLJ.
srw1000 likes this.
post #30317 of 30445 Old 11-20-2019, 06:11 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 1633
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Update: The black space in between the ending credit names and roles for The Mandalorian is better than TLJ.

ADU
post #30318 of 30445 Old 11-20-2019, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For the gamers among us...

https://kotaku.com/the-final-days-of...=pocket-newtab
The Final Days of Japan's Most Incredible Arcade

post #30319 of 30445 Old 11-21-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watched "The Terror of Hallow's Eve" (Showtime) last night. Not bad for a Hollywood B-movie. Three and a half cartons of milk.
tenthplanet likes this.
post #30320 of 30445 Old 11-22-2019, 07:26 AM

Update: We now have nearly 2 hours of Star Wars TELEVISION that is superior to all of the new trilogy.
tenthplanet likes this.
post #30321 of 30445 Old 11-22-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I caught the first episode of "The Feed" last night on Amazon. It's a UK produced sci-fi thriller taking place in the future where wouldn't don't need a smartphone anymore as it's all "built-in". Of course things go awry and built-in no one can escape it.
tenthplanet likes this.
post #30322 of 30445 Old 11-22-2019, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
The Our Gang Story:

A History of the
Little Rascals

DIRECTOR: Paul Harris

STARRING : George "Spanky" McFarland, Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer, Billie "Buckwheat"Thomas, "Darla" Hood, & many more !!!

The Little Rascals, originally known as Our Gang, have stirred up irresistible trouble ever since the short comedies debuted on silent film in 1922. Chubby and scrawny, bossy and sweet, black and white: The producer, Hal Roach, saw to it that his posse of children was motley. Bob McGowan, the avuncular director, made sure the crew never ran out of hijinks. How about a firecracker in a birthday cake?
You know, I've been thinking about this series ever since you've posted it over a week ago. These types of films and shorts, that were so prevalent on TV during my youth, have all but vanished today. The Little Rascals, Blondie and Dagwood, Ma and Pa Kettle, Abbot and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, Hope and Bing Road pictures, etc., were all commonly syndicated fare and shown just about every weekend on local independent stations. Some are featured occasionally today, but there's at least a generation that's never been widely exposed to them.

It leads me to wonder if there's ever going to be a market for them, or if they will fade away as so many of the silents have. I know of younger coworkers that wouldn't think of even watching anything in black and white, and the names of the titles above are as foreign to them as Euripides, Plutarch, Virgil, Machiavelli, Pascal, Goethe, and so forth.

Are the charms of these older, charming, simpler (not necessarily simplistic), and innocent movies lost on today's courser, gritter, and harsher society? If it's simply the production values, and technological limitations, one would think that there would be someone out making modern versions of these kinds of films, but none readily come to mind. I'd be hard pressed to think of more than a couple of creators out there that would even be capable of making these kinds of movies today. Perhaps some of today's Disney films still have that same innocent charm, along with some other animated movies?

Maybe I'm just being a bit nostalgic for a simpler age, but it saddens me to think that more kids and families will have guffawed over the likes of the crude fare of Family Guy rather than Our Gang.

(And, if anyone thinks this is too far afield for this thread, you could easily substitute some of the older, classic horror films. Much of the same applies to them.)

Scott

post #30323 of 30445 Old 11-22-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post
You know, I've been thinking about this series ever since you've posted it over a week ago. These types of films and shorts, that were so prevalent on TV during my youth, have all but vanished today. The Little Rascals, Blondie and Dagwood, Ma and Pa Kettle, Abbot and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, Hope and Bing Road pictures, etc., were all commonly syndicated fare and shown just about every weekend on local independent stations. Some are featured occasionally today, but there's at least a generation that's never been widely exposed to them.

It leads me to wonder if there's ever going to be a market for them, or if they will fade away as so many of the silents have. I know of younger coworkers that wouldn't think of even watching anything in black and white, and the names of the titles above are as foreign to them as Euripides, Plutarch, Virgil, Machiavelli, Pascal, Goethe, and so forth.

Are the charms of these older, charming, simpler (not necessarily simplistic), and innocent movies lost on today's courser, gritter, and harsher society? If it's simply the production values, and technological limitations, one would think that there would be someone out making modern versions of these kinds of films, but none readily come to mind. I'd be hard pressed to think of more than a couple of creators out there that would even be capable of making these kinds of movies today. Perhaps some of today's Disney films still have that same innocent charm, along with some other animated movies?

Maybe I'm just being a bit nostalgic for a simpler age, but it saddens me to think that more kids and families will have guffawed over the likes of the crude fare of Family Guy rather than Our Gang.

(And, if anyone thinks this is too far afield for this thread, you could easily substitute some of the older, classic horror films. Much of the same applies to them.)

Scott

Totally feel you here. I was brought up on stuff like Old Yellow and while I was pretty far removed from frontier life still loved it. Now as a father I try to put some of that in front of my kid, some sticks some doesn't. The old Willy Wonka is one that she loves but refuses to watch Bugs Bunny cartoons in favor of the CG ones. Honestly at this point I'd rather her start playing video games and stop watching Youtubers so I have to pick my battles.
post #30324 of 30445 Old 11-23-2019, 12:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Scott
Working people and families are time strapped these days. And with the rise of streaming we have a lot of targeted viewing, people have their shows they want to watch. Older titles will suffer, there is so much new and newer stuff to watch most people won't be looking backward. And viewing is competing with the internet, social media, gaming and that side hustle you might need to pay some bills.
Brian Conrad likes this.

post #30325 of 30445 Old 11-23-2019, 12:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I caught the first episode of "The Feed" last night on Amazon. It's a UK produced sci-fi thriller taking place in the future where wouldn't don't need a smartphone anymore as it's all "built-in". Of course things go awry and built-in no one can escape it.
https://youtu.be/QnHsOqc42D4
In about 10 years it won't funny, it'll be reality.
Brian Conrad likes this.

post #30326 of 30445 Old 11-23-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Working people and families are time strapped these days. And with the rise of streaming we have a lot of targeted viewing, people have their shows they want to watch. Older titles will suffer, there is so much new and newer stuff to watch most people won't be looking backward. And viewing is competing with the internet, social media, gaming and that side hustle you might need to pay some bills.
Had a similar convo at work in recent weeks.

When I was a kid we had 5 channels and every single person I knew saw The Day After when it aired. We all saw the same movies in the theater like ET. VHS came along and even then everyone saw the same movies but the time took longer. Before DVD the mini dish satellite broadened the amount of content again but everyone had HBO. Fast forward a bit and the amount of content is staggering and the ways to consume it as well. The same way social media lets you insulate yourself from scary ideas and consume what you like transfers to media. You can be fully entertained without ever needing to watch old material and build a hill to die on that has you convinced it's all original.

That said I love it when the yutes find an old title and get blown away or see things haven't changed much.
Brian Conrad likes this.
post #30327 of 30445 Old 11-23-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
I'll grant you all of that, and I can see why older material is less attractive than the shiny new stuff. But let's look past the age of the material for a second, and more at the material itself, which gets to the second part of my question.

Has society moved past the point where the themes, characters, interactions, subject matter, have all become too quaint, innocent, or idealized to the point where there is no appeal? Again, this isn't about just new content, but where are today's versions of that kind of entertainment?

Scott

post #30328 of 30445 Old 11-23-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Had a similar convo at work in recent weeks.

When I was a kid we had 5 channels and every single person I knew saw The Day After when it aired. We all saw the same movies in the theater like ET. VHS came along and even then everyone saw the same movies but the time took longer. Before DVD the mini dish satellite broadened the amount of content again but everyone had HBO. Fast forward a bit and the amount of content is staggering and the ways to consume it as well. The same way social media lets you insulate yourself from scary ideas and consume what you like transfers to media. You can be fully entertained without ever needing to watch old material and build a hill to die on that has you convinced it's all original.

That said I love it when the yutes find an old title and get blown away or see things haven't changed much.
We probably had double that number of channels available as a kid, and the number of ways to consume media has increased tremendously since then. At the same time, having more outlets should increase the availability of these titles, even as the size of the audience becomes more and more fractionalized.

There is one example of content that I can think of that still remains strong today, even against brand new content, and that's the annual Christmas specials: Rudolf, Frosty, The Grinch, Charlie Brown, Santa Claus is Comin' to Town. Granted, these aren't in black and white, but most are still in that 50+ years old category, and they still do good numbers in the ratings. Each of them feature the exact tone and charm that I'm pinpointing, and they're still popular enough that they haven't left the public's consciousness or fallen out of favor.

(And to keep this on topic, I'll throw out It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown as another example.)

Scott

post #30329 of 30445 Old 11-23-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I'll grant you all of that, and I can see why older material is less attractive than the shiny new stuff. But let's look past the age of the material for a second, and more at the material itself, which gets to the second part of my question.

Has society moved past the point where the themes, characters, interactions, subject matter, have all become too quaint, innocent, or idealized to the point where there is no appeal? Again, this isn't about just new content, but where are today's versions of that kind of entertainment?

Scott
I liken that to the monthly news that Rock and Roll is dead. It's totally still out there but doesn't have the mic, much like the "flyover" states or the silent majority. In recent years anything that looks like work or takes time to craft is passed over pretty quickly like physical comedy or playing guitar. All the little kids I know want to be pop stars until they get into a singing class or have to hook up the audio stuff. They are mimicking the reality singing shows and there's no understanding of the work to get there.

Just like Old Yellow, not many kids today have a clue about pumping water or basic chores to keep a house running so the quaint material is an instant turn off. The most universal thing I've seen is bullies. My kid picks up on that super fast from Nellie in Little House all the way up to Wonder. So we take the time to talk about it and how to deal with it. So I think the themes are still there but the setting has become pretty alien to many.

Another is cooking shows, where the hell are they? I don't want a competition or why this salt is the best I just want step by step Julia Child style cooking shows.
post #30330 of 30445 Old 11-23-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I liken that to the monthly news that Rock and Roll is dead. It's totally still out there but doesn't have the mic, much like the "flyover" states or the silent majority. In recent years anything that looks like work or takes time to craft is passed over pretty quickly like physical comedy or playing guitar. All the little kids I know want to be pop stars until they get into a singing class or have to hook up the audio stuff. They are mimicking the reality singing shows and there's no understanding of the work to get there.

Just like Old Yellow, not many kids today have a clue about pumping water or basic chores to keep a house running so the quaint material is an instant turn off. The most universal thing I've seen is bullies. My kid picks up on that super fast from Nellie in Little House all the way up to Wonder. So we take the time to talk about it and how to deal with it. So I think the themes are still there but the setting has become pretty alien to many.

Another is cooking shows, where the hell are they? I don't want a competition or why this salt is the best I just want step by step Julia Child style cooking shows.
Good point about rock and roll, new music fell off the map to me around the late 80s.

I can help a little bit about the cooking shows. Check out PBS's lineup. They've got America's Test Kitchen, Cooks Country, Milk Street, Marth Bakes, Simply Ming, Lidia's Kitchen, and many, many others.

A lot of that instructional stuff has made it over to YouTube. There are a surprising number of channels devoted to different styles of cooking or ranges of techniques out there. This is one good example of where all that additional, fractionalized content is a great benefit. What to check out sous vide cooking? There are channels for that. Don't know what sous vide cooking is? Well, that's what YouTube (and the internet) are for. [Spoiler: It may just change your cooking life forever, especially if you're a fan of meat.]

Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page