October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 1039 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22747Likes

post #31141 of 31571 Old 05-02-2020, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2393 Post(s)
Liked: 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Planet of the Humans. Give it a spin, it's on the CCPTube for now.
Just finished watching it. That was depressing. It almost makes me want to root for the coronavirus.
Logan's Run is starting on the "Movies!" channel in a little bit so I'll watch that humans vs resources documentary next.
GoCaboNow likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31142 of 31571 Old 05-02-2020, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2583 Post(s)
Liked: 2347
Joe Bob presented "Maniac" last night and had Tom Savini as guest. I noticed at the end of the credits was a 4K restoration credit. It wasn't 4K but I thought it wasn't as good a presentation if it was a 1080p from the rescan. And I'm going to be interested in the comments on Shudder for the second feature which was "Heathers". I'm expecting WTFs maybe on that one. It might be because Joe Bob was in a movie ("Great Balls of Fire") with Wynona Ryder and he wound up chatting with her.
ApolloCreed likes this.
post #31143 of 31571 Old 05-03-2020, 03:41 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 1884

Watched 2004's Frankenfish on Crackle tonight. A pretty decent made-for-cable fishsploitation flick inspired by actual events...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crofto..._fish_incident

Rated R for some nudity, gory fish violence, and other adult content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31144 of 31571 Old 05-03-2020, 03:50 AM
ADU

I almost got one more SF flick in before the month was out as well! But alas, I fell a sleep in the middle of it. So I guess that makes my total for the month an even dozen. If I ever finish it though, I'll post a review in the SF topic.
RobKnapp likes this.
post #31145 of 31571 Old 05-03-2020, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 3295 Post(s)
Liked: 5442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Just finished watching it. That was depressing. It almost makes me want to root for the coronavirus.
Logan's Run is starting on the "Movies!" channel in a little bit so I'll watch that humans vs resources documentary next.
Kicker for me was no mention of nuclear, yes it has issues but buys time for us to ship it to the sun or load it up on meteor breaking drones that rain gold on Earth, we can do this.

“Truth suffers from too much analysis." -Ancient Fremen Saying
post #31146 of 31571 Old 05-03-2020, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Apostle on Netflix stated out really good and kept me interested until the last part.
It could have been a much better movie.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Samsung PN F8500 60'' TV, Denon AVR X4200W, Onkyo TX SR805, Parasound HCA 1500A, SVS Prime Towers and Center, SVS Prime satellites, Proficient Surrounds, Duo Kreisel DXD subs, PSA S3000i sub, Oppo 103D player, Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTR 3600
post #31147 of 31571 Old 05-03-2020, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I tried to watch the second episode of "City of Angels" last night via my Hulu Showtime add-on but it kept rebuffering. I'm thinking there was a pile-on by those who found out it's being presented in 4K on some devices. It worked fine the week before on my Roku TV. It's try again today. Showtime needs to expand their CDN support for 4K.

So over to Amazon to watch "Night Sitter" which is a good dark comedy horror film well worth a watch.

I also see that Redbox has "The Invisible Man" coming soon. You may recall that it was one of the $20 rentals to replace theater presentations. Perhaps "The Hunt" isn't far behind and I have been keeping an eye on that one.
RobKnapp likes this.
post #31148 of 31571 Old 05-04-2020, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I watched the first and second episodes of "Wolf Creek" season 2 last night. Episode 1 showed up in 4K (don't tell me Shudder isn't doing 4K, its just a file that's served). Episode 2 showed up with stairstepping on angles meaning it was probably not even 1080p so I stopped and will go back tonight. Maybe I just hit a betatest on the first episode. So far the second season is great!

"City of Angels" played in 4K yesterday afternoon. Some have said that "Billions" was also shown in 4K but it's really not filmed in a way to show off 4K like "City of Angels" is.

Want a real horror story check out "Planet of the Humans" on YouTube.
post #31149 of 31571 Old 05-04-2020, 02:31 PM

I'm in the need of a horror flick. What's good? What stuck with you for a bit?

Any good zombie movies out? Hidden gem creature feature?

post #31150 of 31571 Old 05-04-2020, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I watched the first and second episodes of "Wolf Creek" season 2 last night.
Does this have anything to do with the movie Wolf Creek ? Can it be seen anywhere other than Shudder ?
post #31151 of 31571 Old 05-04-2020, 04:54 PM
ADU

Quote:
I'm in the need of a horror flick. What's good? What stuck with you for a bit?

Any good zombie movies out? Hidden gem creature feature?
In the creature feature genre...

Howl (2015, British)
Similar to Dog Soldiers in some ways. On the gorier side. Fun creature effects. Decent acting for a low-budget feature. Simple but effective no frills plot. Only thing I don't like is the digital cinematography.

Lake Placid
With Bridget Fonda, Bill Pullman, and Oliver Platt as the nutty alligator hunter/philosopher. And of course, Betty White in one of her more memorable cameos outside of MTM.

Pride & Prejudice & Zoms
A little light on zom action, but otherwise good. Sort of Underworld meets Jane Austen.

Red Sands
Also lower budget, but good. A small squad of soldiers are sent to a remote part of the Afghan desert to keep tabs on the enemy. Not long after they arrive, strang sh** begins to happen. Not recommended for xenophobes or paranoiacs.

AVP
Underrated and underappreciated imo. And still one of my favs for pure monster action.

Kong Skull Island
If you like CG effects, then you should enjoy this. Great cast, and some very heavy doses of fun (but also quite violent) kaiju monster type action. Story is sort of a tongue-in-cheek homage to Coppola's Apocalypse Now (if such a thing is possible).

Dragonslayer (1981)
Stir the tiles! Classic story about a medieval village menaced by an old dragon that likes virgins. The creature FX are a little sparse and dated, but the solid story and nice cinematography make up for most of that.

Clash/Wrath of the Titans
The newer versions with Sam Worthington. I like the 2nd one cuz it was made on film. But the first one probably has the better creatures and storyline. Both are pretty enjoyable though imho.

The Dinosaur Project
Blair Witch meets Jurassic Park. Kinda fun though, and pretty well-done for a low-budget shaky-cam flick. British-made.

Trollhunter (2010, Norwegian)
Another low-budget shaky-cam flick, this time about a trollhunter. Better than you might guess from the title.

Underwater (2020)
Kristen Stewart deep-sea creature feature. Haven't seen it, but it looks fairly promising from the ads.

Starship Troopers
"Bevery Hills 90210" meets Heinlein. Space soldiers battle giant bugs from outer space, while trying to make some time with one another. Heavy on gore.

Dagon
Lovecraft run amok in a strange seaside village that is averse to visitors and newcomers.

Innocent Blood
Anne Parillaud as a lady vamp with a taste for mobsters.

I Am Dragon
Russian fairytale about a young woman kidnapped from her village on her wedding day. This is really not horror, but is pretty well done for what it is. A bit on the longish side though. So requires some patience to get through.

Chronicles of the Ghostly Tribe
Weird Chinese action-adventure story about dragons, werewolves, and other magical nonsense. Didn't really make much sense to me, but I liked the visuals. Kind of Tomb Raiderish.

Bram Stoker's Dracula
Coppola's somewhat surreal take on the literary classic, with Gary Oldman and Winona Rydyer as the story's star-crossed lovers.

And I'll throw one non-creature suggestion out as well...

Twister
With Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton as two crazy storm-chasers trying to launch their cockamamie analyzer into the belly of the beast.

For somethin really low budget and schlocky, you might also try Axe Giant. More as I think of em.
RobKnapp likes this.

Last edited by ADU; 05-04-2020 at 05:35 PM.
post #31152 of 31571 Old 05-04-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
In the creature feature genre...

Howl (2015, British)

Similar to Dog Soldiers in some ways. On the gorier side. Fun creature effects. Decent acting for a low-budget feature. Simple but effective no frills plot. Only thing I don't like is the digital cinematography.

Lake Placid

With Bridget Fonda, Bill Pullman, and Oliver Platt as the nutty alligator hunter/philosopher. And of course, Betty White in one of her more memorable cameos outside of MTM.

Pride & Prejudice & Zoms

A little light on zom action, but otherwise good. Sort of Underworld meets Jane Austen.

Red Sands

Also lower budget, but good. A small squad of soldiers are sent to a remote part of the Afghan desert to keep tabs on the enemy. Not long after they arrive, strang sh** begins to happen. Not recommended for xenophobes or paranoiacs.

AVP

Underrated and underappreciated imo. And still one of my favs for pure monster action.

Kong Skull Island

If you like CG effects, then you should enjoy this. Great cast, and some very heavy doses of fun (but also quite violent) kaiju monster type action. Story is sort of a tongue-in-cheek homage to Coppola's Apocalypse Now (if such a thing is possible).

Dragonslayer (1981)

Stir the tiles! Classic story about a medieval village menaced by an old dragon that likes virgins. The creature FX are a little sparse and dated, but the solid story and nice cinematography make up for most of that.

Clash/Wrath of the Titans

The newer versions with Sam Worthington. I like the 2nd one cuz it was made on film. But the first one probably has the better creatures and storyline. Both are pretty enjoyable though imho.

The Dinosaur Project

Blair Witch meets Jurassic Park. Kinda fun though, and pretty well-done for a low-budget shaky-cam flick. British-made.

Trollhunter (2010, Norwegian)

Another low-budget shaky-cam flick, this time about a trollhunter. Better than you might guess from the title.

Underwater (2020)

Kristen Stewart deep-sea creature feature. Haven't seen it, but it looks fairly promising from the ads.

Starship Troopers

"Bevery Hills 90210" meets Heinlein. Space soldiers battle giant bugs from outer space, while trying to make some time with one another. Heavy on gore.

Dagon

Lovecraft run amok in a strange seaside village that is averse to visitors and newcomers.

Innocent Blood

Anne Parillaud as a lady vamp with a taste for mobsters.

I Am Dragon

Russian fairytale about a young woman kidnapped from her village on her wedding day. This is really not horror, but is pretty well done for what it is. A bit on the longish side though. So requires some patience to get through.

Chronicles of the Ghostly Tribe

Weird Chinese action-adventure story about dragons, werewolves, and other magical nonsense. Didn't really make much sense to me, but I liked the visuals. Kind of Tomb Raiderish.

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Coppola's somewhat surreal take on the literary classic, with Gary Oldman and Winona Rydyer as the story's star-crossed lovers.

And I'll throw one non-creature suggestion out as well...

Twister

With Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton as two crazy storm-chasers trying to launch their cockamamie analyzer into the belly of the beast.

For somethin really low budget and schlocky, you might also try Axe Giant. More as I think of em.
All but four I've seen. I'll look them up.

Watching Red Sonja at the moment.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
ADU likes this.

post #31153 of 31571 Old 05-04-2020, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 7798 Post(s)
Liked: 17701
The cats have finally returned to the airports. The earth is healing.

post #31154 of 31571 Old 05-05-2020, 03:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
The cats have finally returned to the airports. The earth is healing.
Absolutely majestic!
ADU and tenthplanet like this.
post #31155 of 31571 Old 05-05-2020, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
Does this have anything to do with the movie Wolf Creek ? Can it be seen anywhere other than Shudder ?
Yes, it is based on the movie. You can find it for rent or buy at some of the other services. I watched up through episode 4 last night. The second season is really intense.
post #31156 of 31571 Old 05-06-2020, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yipee! I found some isopropyl alcohol at the nearby store this morning. So I will now clean the head on my D-VHS deck.

Finished the second season of "Wolf Creek" last night. Great series and yes there are plot holes (which the Shudder crowd complained about) as there were plenty of chances for them to do Mick in.
RobKnapp likes this.
post #31157 of 31571 Old 05-06-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Yipee! I found some isopropyl alcohol at the nearby store this morning. So I will now clean the head on my D-VHS deck.

Finished the second season of "Wolf Creek" last night. Great series and yes there are plot holes (which the Shudder crowd complained about) as there were plenty of chances for them to do Mick in.
When I was a kid you could go to any store and get all the alcohol you wanted.

post #31158 of 31571 Old 05-06-2020, 12:29 PM

Speaking of VCRs we are cleaning out the mother in laws place since she passed and she has a sanyo in a box still. I was super tempted to get it and see about hooking it up. She also had the full series of these on VHS:

ADU and ApolloCreed like this.

post #31159 of 31571 Old 05-06-2020, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When I was a kid you could go to any store and get all the alcohol you wanted.
These days they even lock up the vanilla extract.
post #31160 of 31571 Old 05-06-2020, 07:27 PM

Gave BezosMart 5 bones for this: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4291700/

I was mildly entertained. It's probably free somewhere.

post #31161 of 31571 Old 05-06-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
These days they even lock up the vanilla extract.
My Kid to her kid: When I was a kid you got locked up for going to the store to buy vanilla extract.

post #31162 of 31571 Old 05-07-2020, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Gave BezosMart 5 bones for this: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4291700/
I was mildly entertained. It's probably free somewhere.
https://youtu.be/N2s8dCzp7zg
Amazon has tons of stuff though a lot of it amateurish. They don't actually "curate". If you've got a movie you'd like to put on Amazon Prime you just follow their submission process and when passed is on Prime. It's pretty much the same thing as putting an Android app for sale on Amazon's App Store (I have a couple apps there).

According to Redbox "The Hunt" should be available sometime next month at the box.
post #31163 of 31571 Old 05-08-2020, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

"Z" on Shudder was very much worth a watch. You won't be disappointed. Hulu has a "Mother's Day" themed In The Dark movie available too. And I'll see what Joe Bob has tonight. I wonder what happened to the plans to make the episodes available just Joe Bob's commentary and not the movie for those who had recently seen the movie? Bet they got asked for that.
post #31164 of 31571 Old 05-08-2020, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 7798 Post(s)
Liked: 17701
This looks kinda fun.

Quote:
Evil is eternal.
From the makers of 'Get Out', 'Insidious', ‘Bard of Blood’ and ‘Ghoul’ comes another boundary-
pushing and genre-elevating horror series. While on a mission to displace the natives of Campa
forest in order to build a highway, Sirohi and his squad unwittingly unleash the curse of Betaal
mountain that wreaks havoc on the people and threatens to end civilization as we know it.

tenthplanet likes this.

post #31165 of 31571 Old 05-08-2020, 03:27 PM

For the UFO fans.

Dark Encounter. Small budget film that lives in the CEOTK scene where little Barry gets taken just around the corner from Fire in the Sky. Not perfect by far but effective and looks good. Centered on a family mourning a missing daughter, Dark Encounter, ratchets up the tension nicely a year after the young girl goes missing. I was pleasantly surprised by this one. The trailer doesn't really spoil anything.

ApolloCreed and tenthplanet like this.

post #31166 of 31571 Old 05-08-2020, 09:53 PM

The Day After.

Without mentioning being scarred for life with this and The Exorcist, it is worth a rewatch every so often. This 1983 TV movie holds up pretty well. There's a scene where the local "officials" are trying to tell farmers how to boost output and it's almost hilarious right now if it weren't actually scary. Another scene, from a 1983 TV movie, with a few gathered around a radio listening to the state of the union and basically summing up 2020 America in all of 30 seconds.

RobKnapp and Ben23 like this.

Last edited by darthrsg; 05-08-2020 at 10:03 PM.
post #31167 of 31571 Old 05-09-2020, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I Joe Bob had "Brain Damage" as his first movie last night. I let it run while doing something else just to catch his comments because I had seen it a while back. Joe Bob mentioned Henlotter's "Bad Biology" movie which I found only on CONtv, a Comic-Con streaming service which must be for millennials as they only have phone apps (not compatible with my Nvidia Shield TV). CONtv is free with ads though they seem to also have in on Amazon as a service for $5 a month (I don't need yet another service).

Joe Bob's second feature I also had seen recently so will see if they bookmarked the comments on the Roku app though they don't on the web site.

So instead I watched "delivered" on Hulu the May "Into the Dark" movie. I'm wondering if the working title was actually Mamaste because the woman goes to a yoga based maternity workshop I believe called "Mamaste" and the instructor welcomes them with "mamaste". Of course namaste is a traditional Indian greeting. But Mamaste might have been too obscure for a title.

An obscure Syfy dystopian movie (back which it was called Sci-Fi) is "Control Factor" which if you can find (it may be on YouTube) is worth a watch. Star Adam Baldwin and Elizabeth Berkeley.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0330171/

Still wondering about the Amazon "Utopia" series and if the Amazon Prime execs are fretting over releasing it or not given the subject matter. The original (which I have on BD) was great!
post #31168 of 31571 Old 05-09-2020, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2393 Post(s)
Liked: 2790
Quote:
Joe Bob mentioned Henlotter's "Bad Biology" movie which I found only on CONtv, a Comic-Con streaming service which must be for millennials as they only have phone apps (not compatible with my Nvidia Shield TV). CONtv is free with ads though they seem to also have in on Amazon as a service for $5 a month (I don't need yet another service).
https://tubitv.com/movies/461380/bad_biology
Brian Conrad likes this.
post #31169 of 31571 Old 05-09-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
So I Joe Bob had "Brain Damage" as his first movie last night. I let it run while doing something else just to catch his comments because I had seen it a while back. Joe Bob mentioned Henlotter's "Bad Biology" movie which I found only on CONtv, a Comic-Con streaming service which must be for millennials as they only have phone apps (not compatible with my Nvidia Shield TV). CONtv is free with ads though they seem to also have in on Amazon as a service for $5 a month (I don't need yet another service).

Joe Bob's second feature I also had seen recently so will see if they bookmarked the comments on the Roku app though they don't on the web site.

So instead I watched "delivered" on Hulu the May "Into the Dark" movie. I'm wondering if the working title was actually Mamaste because the woman goes to a yoga based maternity workshop I believe called "Mamaste" and the instructor welcomes them with "mamaste". Of course namaste is a traditional Indian greeting. But Mamaste might have been too obscure for a title.

An obscure Syfy dystopian movie (back which it was called Sci-Fi) is "Control Factor" which if you can find (it may be on YouTube) is worth a watch. Star Adam Baldwin and Elizabeth Berkeley.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0330171/

Still wondering about the Amazon "Utopia" series and if the Amazon Prime execs are fretting over releasing it or not given the subject matter. The original (which I have on BD) was great!

I may be wrong but I think CON TV is on the Pluto App, now if you're into being conned by TV I have a list of channels I can send you with a sub to my newsletter.
tenthplanet and Ken.F like this.

post #31170 of 31571 Old 05-09-2020, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Thanks. JustWatch fumbles once again.
Sponsored Links