October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 1050 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22713Likes

post #31471 of 31552 Old 06-22-2020, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked: 4423
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
You Should Have Left.

Kevin Bacon vs A House On A Hill. Really twisty and turny. I should do a rewatch just for background stuff.
I'm waiting for the physical disc to buy a copy. I'm still at the point where 20 dollars is own and not rent territory, if it's a regular blu-ray release it should come on around 22 dollars or so.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31472 of 31552 Old 06-24-2020, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2574 Post(s)
Liked: 2339
Shudder needs some work to do on their service. I wanted to watch a movie there last night and it was presenting a login or sign up. If you're like me you probably hate to use the app interfaces for login. Even after doing that the code you enter on the browser wouldn't display. This is not the first time it's happened. There are other things they need to work on too.
post #31473 of 31552 Old 06-24-2020, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2156 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
Anyone watch the Creepshow (2019) TV show? If so, how is it? I'll be watching it but thought I'd just ask what you all though. It got rave reviews from critics though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31474 of 31552 Old 06-24-2020, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Anyone watch the Creepshow (2019) TV show? If so, how is it? I'll be watching it but thought I'd just ask what you all though. It got rave reviews from critics though.
I have been watching it this year, not sure if they are new or last years, as i didnt watch last year, but i like them a lot. Give it a try.
RobKnapp likes this.

never take life seriously
post #31475 of 31552 Old 06-24-2020, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
I started watching it but lost interest.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Samsung PN F8500 60'' TV, Denon AVR X4200W, Onkyo TX SR805, Parasound HCA 1500A, SVS Prime Towers and Center, SVS Prime satellites, Proficient Surrounds, Duo Kreisel DXD subs, PSA S3000i sub, Oppo 103D player, Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTR 3600
post #31476 of 31552 Old 06-24-2020, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
I have been watching it this year, not sure if they are new or last years, as i didnt watch last year, but i like them a lot. Give it a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
I started watching it but lost interest.

Thanks. Will give it a go this weekend.
post #31477 of 31552 Old 06-24-2020, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I haven't seen them all yet, but the the first few episodes were pretty good. More serious than the movie, real not hokey horror.
RobKnapp likes this.

post #31478 of 31552 Old 06-25-2020, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I watched it on Shudder. What I found was there would often be one of the two episodes that was good and the other so-so. I cut the cable back in 2013 so don't have AMC but a lot of their shows are on Hulu these days.

Last night watched more of the Brazilian dark comedy "Ghost Hunters vs Bloody Mary" which is okay, not great. Thing about Shudder is they seem to have no problem finding more horror content during the covid drought and horror watchers aren't always so demanding. Amazon seems to be slowing down on series but they do have "Utopia" sitting in the wings and not sure why they haven't dropped it yet (I have a theory though).
post #31479 of 31552 Old 06-25-2020, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
very campy horror but I like that style. Felt like Tales from the Crypt.

Shadow Theater Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/3141596-shadow-theater-build.html
post #31480 of 31552 Old 06-25-2020, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
very campy horror but I like that style. Felt like Tales from the Crypt.
Most traditional horror for decades has had a level of "camp", especially before you could show blood and gore on the screen.
RobKnapp likes this.

post #31481 of 31552 Old 06-25-2020, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 7789 Post(s)
Liked: 17679
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Most traditional horror for decades has had a level of "camp", especially before you could show blood and gore on the screen.
Yep. Camp Crystal Lake, Camp Arawak, Camp Blackfoot, Camp Stonewater, Camp Hurrah... Lots of camps.
tenthplanet likes this.

post #31482 of 31552 Old 06-25-2020, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
DVD, EPIX, Prime Video, HULU, VUDU

Director: Walter Grauman Writer: Luther Davis Stars: Olivia de Havilland, James Caan, Jennifer Billingsley

Released during the period when aging actresses were being recruited for pulpy thrillers, this movie is probably the least horrific of the bunch, but it's pulpy AF. It features Olivia de Havilland, Ann Sothern, Scatman Crothers, and a very young James Caan doing his best Brando impression. The opening credits themselves are a paradigm of insane imagery and sounds of rotten America: a young African-American girl running her roller skates on a sleeping bum's legs; a radio announcer laments "Is there an anti-Satan missile?"; and a dead dog rots in the middle of a busy suburban street. The movie is a mess. Massive plot points are left unresolved. The acting is ludicrously broad. And the characterizations are wildly over-the-top.

And yet, I love it. It's pulpy lunacy that descends into bat-s.h.i.t crazy chaos. From the credits ripped off from Saul Bass
Spoiler!
to the score ripped off from the Twilight Zone. This film, along with "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?" transcended the genre. Olivia de Havilland plays a inappropriately doting mother of a grown man, and she becomes trapped in her private elevator when the power goes out on the holiday weekend. Her house is then invaded by a crazy wino with "repent" tattooed on his hands, a "plump" prostitute played by Ann Sothern, a one-eyed pawnbroker, and a trio of teenage junkies led by James Caan sporting pantyhose on his head. They bathe, fight and kill each other while Olivia de Havilland quotes her own overwrought and melodramatic poetry to herself ("He who unleashes the terror, reaps the terror!"). Occasionally she pleads with them, ("I'll pay you to stop this animal orgy!"). And she even pities them, ("You're one of the bits of awful produced by the welfare state. You're what so much of my tax money goes to feed and care for.") Olivia de Havilland is still stunning beautiful ; she was 47 during filming.

Lady in a Cage holds up as an entertaining, overwrought piece of shlock cinema. Little is known about its origins or production. Here's hoping a bluray release soon emerges with an updated transfer and some bonus content.

tenthplanet and BornSlippyZ like this.

Vision: Man Cave: Sony XBR-65" Z9D HDR 3-D | Bedroom: Sony KDL- 65" W850A 3-D |
Sound: Denon AVR-X4500H | Front:Klipsch Epic CF-4 | Rear:Klipsch Epic CF-2 | Center:Klipsch KV-4 SuB: Klipsch KSW-15
Smarts: Sony UBP-X700 4K 3-D Player Dolby Vision | AppleTV-4K | PS4 | PS3 | XBOX 360 | Wii | Monster Power HTS3600 MKII surge protector Clean Power Stage 3
post #31483 of 31552 Old 06-26-2020, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Yep. Camp Crystal Lake, Camp Arawak, Camp Blackfoot, Camp Stonewater, Camp Hurrah... Lots of camps.
tenth: Good one.

THO: "I approve"
tenth: I was thinking more along the lines of the dialogue and performance of Lugosi's Dracula, campy but definitive. Of course if you want real horror, what happens in the real world is truly the stuff of nightmares.

post #31484 of 31552 Old 06-26-2020, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKnapp View Post
DVD, EPIX, Prime Video, HULU, VUDU

Director: Walter Grauman Writer: Luther Davis Stars: Olivia de Havilland, James Caan, Jennifer Billingsley

Released during the period when aging actresses were being recruited for pulpy thrillers, this movie is probably the least horrific of the bunch, but it's pulpy AF. It features Olivia de Havilland, Ann Sothern, Scatman Crothers, and a very young James Caan doing his best Brando impression. The opening credits themselves are a paradigm of insane imagery and sounds of rotten America: a young African-American girl running her roller skates on a sleeping bum's legs; a radio announcer laments "Is there an anti-Satan missile?"; and a dead dog rots in the middle of a busy suburban street. The movie is a mess. Massive plot points are left unresolved. The acting is ludicrously broad. And the characterizations are wildly over-the-top.

And yet, I love it. It's pulpy lunacy that descends into bat-s.h.i.t crazy chaos. From the credits ripped off from Saul Bass
Spoiler!
to the score ripped off from the Twilight Zone. This film, along with "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?" transcended the genre. Olivia de Havilland plays a inappropriately doting mother of a grown man, and she becomes trapped in her private elevator when the power goes out on the holiday weekend. Her house is then invaded by a crazy wino with "repent" tattooed on his hands, a "plump" prostitute played by Ann Sothern, a one-eyed pawnbroker, and a trio of teenage junkies led by James Caan sporting pantyhose on his head. They bathe, fight and kill each other while Olivia de Havilland quotes her own overwrought and melodramatic poetry to herself ("He who unleashes the terror, reaps the terror!"). Occasionally she pleads with them, ("I'll pay you to stop this animal orgy!"). And she even pities them, ("You're one of the bits of awful produced by the welfare state. You're what so much of my tax money goes to feed and care for.") Olivia de Havilland is still stunning beautiful ; she was 47 during filming.

Lady in a Cage holds up as an entertaining, overwrought piece of shlock cinema. Little is known about its origins or production. Here's hoping a bluray release soon emerges with an updated transfer and some bonus content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu0m0T4xluY
All you have to do, is add a deranged unknown killer into the house... And you have a 70's horror picture And a spot on Joe Bob's show. I see kids got in for 35 cents, didn't anyone challenge their attendance.

post #31485 of 31552 Old 06-27-2020, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Double feature last night was "Cell" (2016) with John Cusack and Sameul L Jackson which I had watched before but seems fitting for the times and "The Assent" which is on Amazon and a winner in the exorcism category.
tenthplanet and RobKnapp like this.
post #31486 of 31552 Old 06-27-2020, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Anyone like Fantasy Island movie?

Samsung PN F8500 60'' TV, Denon AVR X4200W, Onkyo TX SR805, Parasound HCA 1500A, SVS Prime Towers and Center, SVS Prime satellites, Proficient Surrounds, Duo Kreisel DXD subs, PSA S3000i sub, Oppo 103D player, Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTR 3600
post #31487 of 31552 Old 06-27-2020, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 7789 Post(s)
Liked: 17679
Quote:

I rented the disc from Netflix and it’s been sitting on my coffee table for the last several days. Haven’t gotten around to watching it. And yes, I still have disc rental from Netflix.
tenthplanet likes this.

post #31488 of 31552 Old 06-27-2020, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3292 Post(s)
Liked: 5431
Quote:

I liked it, could be a franchise not that Blumhouse is into that sort of thing.
tenthplanet and RobKnapp like this.

“Truth suffers from too much analysis." -Ancient Fremen Saying
post #31489 of 31552 Old 06-27-2020, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, I watched the first three episodes of the Creepshow (2019) TV show. Thought it was really good stuff. I really like this kind of style. Looking forward to watching the remaining three episodes.
tenthplanet and b_scott like this.
post #31490 of 31552 Old 06-29-2020, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
So, I watched the first three episodes of the Creepshow (2019) TV show. Thought it was really good stuff. I really like this kind of style. Looking forward to watching the remaining three episodes.
yeah I like horror/thriller anthologies. It's in the same vein as Twilight Zone, Tales from the Crypt, Outer Limits, etc.
post #31491 of 31552 Old 06-29-2020, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For about a month I've been sitting in the guest chair in my living room/home theater. The chair was purchased years ago when my main chair, an Ekornes Stressless chair I bought in the 1990s base broke and it took about a month to get a new base. This time the springs have worn out and the seat is sagging so the project for today is get the seat apart and order new springs and foam. Interesting thing is the chair now costs about 3 times what I paid for it in the 1990s.

During winter weather to save on heating bills I wrap myself in a light sleeping bag while watching stuff. Just got back from the dry cleaners which charged me $24 to have it cleaned. That's more than the bag cost. If I had a front loading washer instead of what appears to be a 30+ year old top loading Maytag I could have just washed it. Or maybe I should have taken it to a laundromat. Covidflation strikes again!
post #31492 of 31552 Old 06-29-2020, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 16551
Most have probably seen it by now, but just in case - AVSForum will be moving to different forum software at the end of July. Announcement link above thread listings.

If a cannibal eats a clown, will it taste funny?
post #31493 of 31552 Old 06-29-2020, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2117 Post(s)
Liked: 2169
Hello gents! How’s everyone been? Like see this thread continue on with all things horror!

Well I bought and finished The Last of Us 2 and man what a roller coaster! I don’t think I was ready for this but I mustered thru the game to the finish! And the story might be off putting and disjointed (imo) but the game, mechanics and sound are top notch!
This game still has my wheels spinning as to what I would do because I identify for Joel.

Not going to spoil it but it’s worth a play but strap in!

Oh and I began decorating the walls in my home with this poster!

OG one from 1997!

Anyhoo, I hope you all are doing ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #31494 of 31552 Old 06-30-2020, 06:01 AM

I hope since this thread is the primary ad revenue generator for the entire site it gets pinned at the top after the update.

post #31495 of 31552 Old 06-30-2020, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
Most have probably seen it by now, but just in case - AVSForum will be moving to different forum software at the end of July. Announcement link above thread listings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
I hope since this thread is the primary ad revenue generator for the entire site it gets pinned at the top after the update.
In the announcement Mike also supplies links to some sites that use the new software. It will be interesting to see how AVS Forum uses that API but I suspect it may not be popular with some.

In other news, I got the seat for my elitist easy chair apart. Now I get to see how elitist the price of the replacement foam and springs are.
Here's a video showing how these chairs are made these days ... by robots:
darthrsg, BornSlippyZ and RobKnapp like this.
post #31496 of 31552 Old 06-30-2020, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
In the announcement Mike also supplies links to some sites that use the new software. It will be interesting to see how AVS Forum uses that API but I suspect it may not be popular with some.

In other news, I got the seat for my elitist easy chair apart. Now I get to see how elitist the price of the replacement foam and springs are.
https://youtu.be/VHp2-TnGuA8
Thanks for the heads up on the Ekornes Stressless Chairs/sofa . I want the Stressless® Stella Sofa $ 5,000 . Added it to my buckets list .

I have no idea what this dude is saying ...., I just want one of these Stressless® Stella

darthrsg likes this.

Vision: Man Cave: Sony XBR-65" Z9D HDR 3-D | Bedroom: Sony KDL- 65" W850A 3-D |
Sound: Denon AVR-X4500H | Front:Klipsch Epic CF-4 | Rear:Klipsch Epic CF-2 | Center:Klipsch KV-4 SuB: Klipsch KSW-15
Smarts: Sony UBP-X700 4K 3-D Player Dolby Vision | AppleTV-4K | PS4 | PS3 | XBOX 360 | Wii | Monster Power HTS3600 MKII surge protector Clean Power Stage 3
post #31497 of 31552 Old 06-30-2020, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Watched Session 9 on Netflix. Havent seen it in a long time.

Just as i remembered, its not my cup of tea. Spooky building but not spooky enough for me.

Again, for me, lack of gore and action is not for me. I can see many here liking it, but I like wilder stuff.

never take life seriously
post #31498 of 31552 Old 06-30-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

https://youtu.be/VHp2-TnGuA8
The other sites look good but I don't have accounts to see how they behave. This will be like my 3-4th upgrade here. I know for a fact not one single person will complain.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #31499 of 31552 Old 06-30-2020, 05:29 PM

Stressless
Stella
Official
Chair
Of
AVS
Forum
BornSlippyZ and RobKnapp like this.

post #31500 of 31552 Old 06-30-2020, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKnapp View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the Ekornes Stressless Chairs/sofa . I want the Stressless® Stella Sofa $ 5,000 . Added it to my buckets list .

I have no idea what this dude is saying ...., I just want one of these Stressless® Stella

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Z50WN5xAw
Or you go this route and save a few hundred...

Heritage Exposition Sofa Top Grain Leather 7000, Powered Headrest, Power Recline, Brown

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page