October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 230 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17488Likes

post #6871 of 29117 Old 10-02-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Trust me I know how you feel! Last time I watched it on BD I watched it with the MU-TH-ER Mode on and I learned a lot about Alien3. All in all the movie was a writing disaster, directing disaster and the sad thing is, iirc James Cameron/Ridley knew that this movie was off to a shaky start and they even told Fox to let them (together) work a story out for Alien3. Well you know what decision the studio made.

Passed on the "Aliens Quadrilogy" package when it was on sale months ago. Good price but I didn't want Aliens 1 & 2 bumping up against Aliens 3 & 4. You know, cooties and all that...

Meanwhile...

1). Lifeforce (1985) - Golan-Globus '80s schlock at its best. Mathilda Ray as the space vampire who turns the London populace into zombies and a younger Patrick Stewart as Dr, Armstrong. Truth be told, I appreciated the special effects much more than the overused CGI we're saddled with today. Fun trivia fact. Henry Mancini did the theme song! 3 out of 5 comet hitch-hiking Zombies.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6872 of 29117 Old 10-02-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2088 Post(s)
Liked: 2055
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

Passed on the "Aliens Quadrilogy" package when it was on sale months ago. Good price but I didn't want Aliens 1 & 2 bumping up against Aliens 3 & 4. You know, cooties and all that...

Meanwhile...

1). Lifeforce (1985) - Golan-Globus '80s schlock at its best. Mathilda Ray as the space vampire who turns the London populace into zombies and a younger Patrick Stewart as Dr, Armstrong. Truth be told, I appreciated the special effects much more than the overused CGI we're saddled with today. Fun trivia fact. Henry Mancini did the theme song! 3 out of 5 comet hitch-hiking Zombies.

Lmao!

It is worth the buy and even at the day one price. I haven't even been through all the special features. One cool thing I learned was that there was an Aliens 'ride' on Pier 39 in SF in the 90's. That one slipped under my radar!

+1 Lifeforce is a great start and has awesome effects!
post #6873 of 29117 Old 10-02-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Last night's "official" kick off couldn't have been better. We went a little overboard with the cocktails, but that's to be expected. wink.gif Anyway, here are #2 and #3.

2. Otis (2008)- {4/5} Blu-ray Talk about a fun movie folks! It easily fits in the top tier of the horror/comedy genre along with Shaun of the Dead, Cabin in the Woods, Zombieland, etc. Normally these kinds of movies aren't really my bag (explaining the conservative 4 star rating), but this one is well done on nearly every level. Every character is unique and extremely well done and the story itself is simply awesome. We especially loved Kevin Pollack as the abusive older brother and Jere Burns as the cocky, bumbling FBI agent. This is my second time with this flick and it was even better this time around. For those who haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and add this to your list.

3. The Lords of Salem (2012)- {4.25/5} Blu-ray (First-time viewing) Like others have stated, this movie is oozing with style and originality. It's obvious that RZ has continued to master his craft since the raw, but amazingly well done HOTC. We loved nearly everything about this movie. The 70's look, the mood, the atmosphere, the pacing, the story, the score......top notch. Although her range is still pretty limited, we thought that Sheri Moon did a pretty good job; while the rest of the cast was nearly perfect. The only issue that we had was the ending. It was a little bit of a letdown as we thought maybe a little more detail would have been better. Either way, this was a great watch and it'll fit in perfectly with the rest of my RZ movie collection. In fact, we've already talked about watching it again after the challenge is over. cool.gif

Tonight, we're watching a repeat from last year....I Saw the Devil. My wife didn't get a chance to see it with me last time, so its a perfect choice for night 2.
Bob McLaughlin likes this.

OG October Horrorfest Contributor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6874 of 29117 Old 10-02-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Apparently, there is a third movie in the works.smile.gif
Jeepers Creepers 3: Cathedral (original title)

Excellent news. Keep 'em coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

October 1st:

Psycho (1960)

Frankensteins Army - 4 Zombies

4 steampunk frankenzombies.

4? Oh heck. So psyched to watch this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Yes, the movie made a big splash here when it came out. I haven't seen it in a while and will probably watch the BD again this month. V/H/S is on NF, it's decent, too, although not a zombie movie. There's some talk about it here in this thread IIRC. Also, an early classic, I Spit On Your Grave is on NF streaming.

larry

Forgot about La Horde. Good lookin' out. It's got a little bit of everything. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

...As this is the first I'm going to do the marathon, what is the best way to both update my list with (small) reviews and keep it current. I have made a list for the first week. what do you guys do generally, just update a particular post with all your titles? Sorry for asking such a "newb" question! biggrin.gif

Niiice!

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
post #6875 of 29117 Old 10-02-2013, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:

LOL.

Quote:

It is worth the buy and even at the day one price.
+1000000000

Quote:
I haven't even been through all the special features.
Neither have I....redface.gif
post #6876 of 29117 Old 10-02-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:

...As this is the first I'm going to do the marathon, what is the best way to both update my list with (small) reviews and keep it current. I have made a list for the first week. what do you guys do generally, just update a particular post with all your titles? Sorry for asking such a "newb" question! biggrin.gif

I usually submit new posts with the movies I watch as I go. My first post of the challenge is the one that I continue to edit so that it reflects my entire list. I also add a link to my sig that people can click on to access my ongoing list.

Quote:

I just saw that Amazon has added more horror movies to their prime movie list. Going to watch Creepers, and I think I have seen this movie long ago but I don't remember lol.

Good to hear. Considering how pathetic Blockbuster Online has become lately, I'm gonna need to use Amazon to supplement my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

We need Hot girls of Horror?

Agreed.

OG October Horrorfest Contributor
post #6877 of 29117 Old 10-02-2013, 05:28 PM

I am currently only on the NF two-at-time program, therefore I am not inundated with disks.
To tide myself over between arrivals I ordered the Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection [Blu-ray].
Should be here Friday.smile.gif
post #6878 of 29117 Old 10-02-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064704/?ref_=sr_1

I'm probably the only one here that has seen this movie and while it's nothing special, it does have a special place in my household due to our love of the silliness which is this film. It's not scary, it's not gory, it's just lovingly odd. Can't put my finger on it but we watch it every year now so this is my shameless plug.

OK I'm in, but what am I hunting down? Girly or a hot chick zombie movie? signed -easily confused guy on drugs. tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

Three days in and I have yet to see a single film, to be fair my projector is waiting for a new hdmi cable so I haven't been able to. I do have some marathons planned (Let The Right One In and Let Me In, an Evil Dead Marathon and a Stephen King marathon).

Monoprice to the rescue!
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Don't talk shirt about Maximum Overdrive. smile.gif

lulz

BTW - FULCI LIVES!

post #6879 of 29117 Old 10-02-2013, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Here we go. This year I planned to keep these things extra short w/ no "frills" but that's no fun. I'm out of control. BRING IT!

10/1 Trick or Treat (1986)
All trick no treat. SO much potential but this movie about a high school kid getting picked on plays like an ABC Family Channel Hallowtweenie special. The kid accidentally resurrects his favorite front man from the dead and the ghost/zombie rocker is hell-bent on causing mayhem. This movie is screaming for a proper remake with all the goodies! C-

This film contains:
Thrashin’ 80’s metal: \m/ YES!
Ruthless bullies: check
Resurrected rock God ready to cause destruction: Oh yeah!
Sex & boobs: Lil’ bit
Blood, death and dismemberment: NO. ZERO, ZILCH, ZIPPO…..HUH?!?!?!

10/1 Horror Hospital (1973)
This is one of those bad but good 70’s flicks that would be a most excellent feature at a crowded midnight showing. We’re treated to a couple of crazy kills right off the bat and then a bit of a lull until we get to the actual hospital. After that we’re hit with all those 70’s horror clichés like camera zooms, wacky unfitting music, sloppy super red gore and ending that leaves you questioning the writer’s sanity and your own. If you like old school trash this is kinda fun! B-

This film contains:
Decapitations Spy Hunter Style: Worth every quarter
British Boobs: Soapy
Diarrhea stains on main character’s pants: WTF?! (the F stands for fudge) uhhh wardrobe, hello!
A midget: duh

10/2 Drive in Massacre (1977)
Some maniac is slicing and dicing sex crazed movie goers at the Drive in and two goofy cops are on the manhunt with the same success rate as most drive ins had since the 80’s video boom. Another trashy 70’s gem that’s only good if you’re into low budgets, bad dialogue and actors that look like your neighbor Ted. I liked it, in a weird way. C+

This film contains:
Decapitations: Hattori Hanzo would be proud
Red Herring: A school of ‘em
Short running time:74 minutes

10/3 Microwave Massacre (1983)
Donald is unhappily married and hungry. All the poor guy wants is a “man’s” meal but all his annoying wife cooks up are these fancy schmancy dinners in their new Major Electric X1-74A microwave. The relationship doesn’t end well for these two and Don develops an insatiable taste for the other white meat. Totally trashy yet cute. C+

This film contains:
Big Ass Microwave
Boom Mic
Bodacious Boobs
Bad Recipe

10/4 Zombie Island Massacre (1984)
I had no idea Troma was responsible for this movie until the opening credits so obviously I expected the utmost quality. Man was I right! This stinker was horribly bad but oh so good. Perfect for a MST3K/Rifftrax ripping. I was laughing so loud almost woke the wife. It’s basically Romero’s NOTLD masterpiece but takes place in the Caribbean. But there’s no zombies. And it’s nothing like it. C+

This film contains:
Strong lead Black Male
Dumb white people
Zombies (???)
Booty traps
Boobs: BIG'UNS
Twist

10/5 NJ ZOMBIE WALK No movie

10/6 Zombie High (1987)
Virginia Madsen goes to an exclusive prep school where the students just ain’t acting right and her friends are starting to fit right in. Not the “walker” zombies I was expecting but an ok watch nonetheless. 80’s cheese. C+

This film contains:
horse neighing after the 4 minute mark (no horse in movie)
Shoulder pads
CHIMES!
Exciting car chase with a Ford Merkur (remember those?!)

10/7 Monstroid aka Monster (1980)
Columbia’s version of Godzilla and God was this bad. US cement factory poisons lake and kills fish. Columbians mad. People are dead. Humongous (20ft?) monster shows up. Boom goes the dynamite. D+

This film does NOT contain:
Sofia Vergara
Anything to keep you awake
Action
A budget

10/8 NO MOVIE frown.gif

The Devil Doll
(1936)
Stingy Mr.Potter cross dressing and chewing the scenery for over an hour! Cool sfx for 1936. B-

Freaks (1932)
No arms? No legs? No height? No problem. REVENGE! Always gooble gobbly good. A

The Body Shop aka Doctor Gore (1973)
When hi tech medical procedures are performed using aluminum foil and duct tape you know it’s gonna be a treat. The crazy hunchback assistant (Zach Galifinakis?) stole the show. Fine 70’s women too. Good trash. B

Eden Lake (2008)
FASSBENDER! This revenge tale runs into a few of those “what are the chances?” situations but the performances and direction made this very enjoyable. It also helped that I hate 99.8% of young teens. Glad I finally checked this out. B+

Hell of the Living Dead
(1980)
Basically just a ripoff of Fulci’s Zombi and Dawn of the Dead with bad dubbing and gibroni version of Fabio Frizzi’s fantastic score. It does have an eyeball gag at the end though (bonus point awarded). C

Prey (2010)
So the French super cutie from The Artist is in this? Yay! Excitement ensues. She’s in it for maybe ten minutes. *sad trombone* Man vs. Nature vs. Man. These pigs are like great white sharks on land! Dafuq? Not bad, not great. C

Three on a Meathook
(1973)
Started off nicely in 5th gear with some bedroom action, skinny dipping, broken down car and then death. Unfortunately it spiraled out of control into a boring psycho character study and lost all its gas. This is the Yugo of low budget 70’s horror. D+

Visiting Hours (1982)
Thanks to Brian Conrad for bumping this up my NF queue. Michael Ironside plays one of the baddest slashers of all time. Yeah I said it. Dude is just so smooth! At 3AM this had me on the edge of my seat. The exceptionally tight hospital security provided comic relief. Solid B

The Collection (2012)
Gnarliest club scene since Blade? Hell yeah! I Didn’t expect this to be as good as The Collector and it wasn’t. Not too bad though. Collector got the booty traps that make Jigsaw jealous. C+

The Last House on the Left (2009)
I had no idea what to expect here but see it getting props frequently around these here parts. Darned near perfect it was. The rape scene was a little long for my taste. I usually enjoy them more when it’s under 5 minutes (*gasp*). Perfectly cast, pacing was on point and the makeup/efx had me believing. I was actually shouting at the TV and rooting for the family. This was much better than the original but not a hard feat to accomplish against a pure exploitation flick. Grade A beef.

The Baby (1973)
Something about a grown ass man playing a toddler made me cringe the entire movie. Musta been a good thing because I quite enjoyed this. Loved the bat **** crazy mama and her creepy hot daughters too. The ending was something special: easily the most fun WTF moment this month. B

The Pact (2012)
Started this at 2AM. It creeped me out. But what did I watch? Is there a cohesive story here? Why do I care? Can someone ‘splain this one to me? C+? B-?

post #6880 of 29117 Old 10-02-2013, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Tonight is the last time I invite this guy over for movies.

post #6881 of 29117 Old 10-02-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

signed -easily confused guy on drugs. tongue.gif
Wiz, you do know you're supposed to be taking it easy.......right?

Quote:

Tonight is the last time I invite this guy over for movies.

Don't worry...I won't be back anyway.tongue.gif
post #6882 of 29117 Old 10-03-2013, 12:01 AM

Tried Stranded and Lords of Salem tonite.

STRANDED:

This is a Ridley Scott Alien wannabe.
Christian Slater does his best, but it is all for naught.
Four eye-rolling moments in the 1st half hour (my limit is 3).

1 dumbsh_t writing zombie.

LORDS OF SALEM:

An odd attempt at horror by Rob Zombie.
In the past, Mr. Zombie has done some good work in the genre.
This time around...he falls short.

FWIW, I have a couple of theories....
1) He wanted to break out of the "B" Horror flick genre and do something more "upscale." However, the problem is the STORY simply isn't there.
2) He thought/thinks atmosphere is all that is required to be successful in Horror. And, yes, while there is plenty of atmosphere....unfortunately, the acting and the glacial pace sinks this Ship of Terror within the first hour.

2 terrible bored zombies.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #6883 of 29117 Old 10-03-2013, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Last night I was digging into my DVR to see what was lurking in there..

5, Silent Hill 2006, Christophe Gans IFC, Ok this was my second time watching this movie spawned from the video game. Now if you are not familiar with this game the movie does a decent job staying true to the game. The setup is a mom is trying to find answers to why her adoptive daughter is drawn to a town called Silent Hill. This town is an old coal town that has a continuous coal fire burning below the town which makes this town creepier even before you seen any of the town folk. As the mom and accompanying female police officer look for the daughter, they run into some baddies, a ton of weird bugs, a dude with a huge sword and the crazy town folk! This movie has a good amount of gore, killings, baddies and the town itself is pretty damn scary! This is one of the 'best' video game to movie I have seen in this genre, imo even besting the Resident Evil series, which are fun but lack the sense of fear/dread of Silent Hill.

4 Contorted Zombies
dropzone7 likes this.
post #6884 of 29117 Old 10-03-2013, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2946 Post(s)
Liked: 4346
4. The Deadly Spawn. This is a great B creature feature from the early 80's and my first time seeing it. Absolutely terrific effects and realistic characters. It's a "Hard R" as well. Plenty of gore. If you're a fan of Critters you'll be right at home here. One particular scene involves a food processor, a deadly spawn, and a vegetarian dinner party. I couldn't help but love the lead hero. He would have fit right into Explorers with a young Ethan Hawke and River Phoenix. I'm docking half a star due to the video quality from Amazon Instant. This is a case where VHS would be the superior format. 4.5 stars

BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #6885 of 29117 Old 10-03-2013, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 12789
I watched No One Lives last night, and as I just said in the movie thread, except for some decent gore I thought it was meh.

larry

Make me grow brainiac fingers, but with more hair!
post #6886 of 29117 Old 10-03-2013, 04:59 AM

Quote:

I watched No One Lives last night, and as I just said in the movie thread, except for some decent gore I thought it was meh.

larry
I stopped it about thirty minutes in. Better stuff on Lifetime.
post #6887 of 29117 Old 10-03-2013, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Pumpkinhead
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095925/?ref_=nv_sr_1

My wife brought home work last night so she was using her laptop while we sort of half way watched this movie. It was a first time watch for her but I had seen it a few times before. This was the first time in a long time though. I remember it being so much better all those years ago. It didn't hold up quite as well as I thought it would. Probably the best part of the movie is the Stan Winston creature effects and I was surprised to learn that he actually directed the movie as well. The kills are kind of weak in my opinion so it could have been so much better had Pumpkinhead actually done something besides throw people against trees. I love the old witch character Haggis and let's face it, Lance Henrikson is pretty damn scary looking himself. Wife was not impressed but I'm glad I watched it again, might be a long time before the next viewing if ever though. I give it 3 out of 5 back woods hillbilly zombies.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #6888 of 29117 Old 10-03-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 980
2. Uzumaki (first-time viewing)
Strange Japanese movie about a schoolgirl observing her friend's father's descent into madness as he obsesses over uzumaki (spiral shapes). He starts with photographing snail shells but is soon insisting on spiral shaped noodles, amassing a collection of spiral artwork and various items. In the meantime we have subplots going on involving romantic relationships between the schoolgirl and her weirdly androgynous childhood friend, also there is another boy obsessed with getting her attention, and yet another girl whose only goal is to get people to look at her. Eventually spiral-mania infects the entire town and that's when the real horror begins, with various interesting and gory deaths that result in bodies being twisted into spirals, a man killing himself using the spin cycle on a washing mashine, people being turned into snail-like humanoids, spiral fingerprints being chopped off, spiral cochlea being ripped out of one's ears, a spiral storm descending upon the town containing the tortured souls (and faces!) of the dead, etc.

If you think this story sounds all over the place and outrageously weird, even for a Japanese horror movie, you'd be right. The movie is hampered by some crappy desktop-computer quality CGI at times, but is well-directed and has a showy editing style at times reminiscent of Argento, although the color palette is very muted. But the biggest problem with this movie is that there's really only about an hour's worth of story here in a 90-minute feature. I personally don't find anything all that compelling about spiral shapes so I am not really sold on the notion that there is anything particularly sinister going on here. Okay, I get it, people are obsessed with spirals...so what? Still, there are enough memorable scenes and overall weirdness to make this worth watching once. 3 out of 5 spirals, I mean stars.

Bob's October 2013 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. Some Guy Who Kills People (FTV)
2. Uzumaki (FTV)
darthrsg and BornSlippyZ like this.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #6889 of 29117 Old 10-03-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 759
Bob, that sounds totally unique!!

Hey guys, its only a couple of days and already this is tons of fun!! I love reading all your reviews, and know that even if I dont comment on them, I enjoy them!!

I gotta go out now for awhile, will watch my next movie in the afternoon today, havent decided yet which one it will be.

never take life seriously
post #6890 of 29117 Old 10-03-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
ok I will follow Bob's method for listing my movies as of now smile.gif... Yesterday was day 2, and I chose the remake of I Spit On Your Grave (2010). Not the kind of movie I'd want to watch every week but it was worth it, I've never seen the original (don't really plan to either) but I suspect acting was better in this remake (from what I've read). Hot young writer goes to a cabin to write her novel but of course things don't go exactly according to plan when a group of young gentlemen show up wink.gif Usually I prefer, much prefer ghost stories than this torture/revenge subgenre, but I like this one. Sarah Butler was very good in her role (by the way, the rape scene in Irreversible was, for me, more painful to watch).

My oct. 2013 horror list:
1. The Lords Of Salem
2. I Spit On Your Grave (2010)
BornSlippyZ likes this.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #6891 of 29117 Old 10-03-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:

ok I will follow Bob's method for listing my movies as of now smile.gif... Yesterday was day 2, and I chose the remake of I Spit On Your Grave (2010). Not the kind of movie I'd want to watch every week but it was worth it, I've never seen the original (don't really plan to either) but I suspect acting was better in this remake (from what I've read). Hot young writer goes to a cabin to write her novel but of course things don't go exactly according to plan when a group of young gentlemen show up wink.gif Usually I prefer, much prefer ghost stories than this torture/revenge subgenre, but I like this one. Sarah Butler was very good in her role (by the way, the rape scene in Irreversible was, for me, more painful to watch).

1. The Lords Of Salem

The original is worth your time.
post #6892 of 29117 Old 10-03-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:

Yeah baby! Saving this for the last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Last night's "official" kick off couldn't have been better. We went a little overboard with the cocktails, but that's to be expected. wink.gif Anyway, here are #2 and #3.

2. Otis (2008)- {4/5} Blu-ray Talk about a fun movie folks! It easily fits in the top tier of the horror/comedy genre along with Shaun of the Dead, Cabin in the Woods, Zombieland, etc. Normally these kinds of movies aren't really my bag (explaining the conservative 4 star rating), but this one is well done on nearly every level. Every character is unique and extremely well done and the story itself is simply awesome. We especially loved Kevin Pollack as the abusive older brother and Jere Burns as the cocky, bumbling FBI agent. This is my second time with this flick and it was even better this time around. For those who haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and add this to your list.

3. The Lords of Salem (2012)- {4.25/5} Blu-ray (First-time viewing) Like others have stated, this movie is oozing with style and originality. It's obvious that RZ has continued to master his craft since the raw, but amazingly well done HOTC. We loved nearly everything about this movie. The 70's look, the mood, the atmosphere, the pacing, the story, the score......top notch. Although her range is still pretty limited, we thought that Sheri Moon did a pretty good job; while the rest of the cast was nearly perfect. The only issue that we had was the ending. It was a little bit of a letdown as we thought maybe a little more detail would have been better. Either way, this was a great watch and it'll fit in perfectly with the rest of my RZ movie collection. In fact, we've already talked about watching it again after the challenge is over. cool.gif

Tonight, we're watching a repeat from last year....I Saw the Devil. My wife didn't get a chance to see it with me last time, so its a perfect choice for night 2.
Otis added to queue.

Starting to drift off last night, and for some reason I don't know why, LOS comes into my mind and I try to imagine if I would have been more impacted if someone like Carla Gugino, who is a good actress and i find much more attractive, had the Sheri Moon role. That and complete the ending would have made this a real classic. Still a fun watch.
Quote:

I am currently only on the NF two-at-time program, therefore I am not inundated with disks.
To tide myself over between arrivals I ordered the Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection [Blu-ray].
Should be here Friday.smile.gif
Curious your opinion how these hold up today?
Quote:

OK I'm in, but what am I hunting down? Girly or a hot chick zombie movie? signed -easily confused guy on drugs. tongue.gif
Monoprice to the rescue!
lulz

BTW - FULCI LIVES!

Quote:

Here we go. This year I planned to keep these things extra short w/ no "frills" but that's no fun. I'm out of control. BRING IT!

10/1 Trick or Treat (1986)
All trick no treat. SO much potential but this movie about a high school kid getting picked on plays like an ABC Family Channel Hallowtweenie special. The kid accidentally resurrects his favorite front man from the dead and the ghost/zombie rocker is hell-bent on causing mayhem. This movie is screaming for a proper remake with all the goodies! C-

This film contains:
Thrashin’ 80’s metal: \m/ YES!
Ruthless bullies: check
Resurrected rock God ready to cause destruction: Oh yeah!
Sex & boobs: Lil’ bit
Blood, death and dismemberment: NO. ZERO, ZILCH, ZIPPO…..HUH?!?!?!

10/1 Horror Hospital (1973)
This is one of those bad but good 70’s flicks that would be a most excellent feature at a crowded midnight showing. We’re treated to a couple of crazy kills right off the bat and then a bit of a lull until we get to the actual hospital. After that we’re treated to all those 70’s horror clichés like camera zooms, wacky unfitting music, sloppy super red gore and ending that leaves you questioning the writer’s sanity and your own. If you like old school trash this is kinda fun! B-

This film contains:
Decapitations Spy Hunter Style: Worth every quarter
British Boobs: Soapy
Diarrhea stains on main character’s pants: WTF?! (the F stands for fudge) uhhh wardrobe, hello!
A midget: duh

10/2 Drive in Massacre (1977)
Some maniac is slicing and dicing sex crazed movie goers at the Drive in and two goofy cops are on the manhunt with the same success rate as most drive ins had since the 80’s video boom. Another trashy 70’s gem that’s only good if you’re into low budgets, bad dialogue and actors that look like your neighbor Ted. I liked it, in a weird way. C+

This film contains:
Decapitations: Hattori Hanzo would be proud
Red Herring: A school of ‘em
Short running time:74 minutes

LOVE your format and HH is in the queue!

Quote:

STRANDED:

LORDS OF SALEM:

1) He wanted to break out of the "B" Horror flick genre and do something more "upscale." However, the problem is the STORY simply isn't there.
2) He thought/thinks atmosphere is all that is required to be successful in Horror. And, yes, while there is plenty of atmosphere....unfortunately, the acting and the glacial pace sinks this Ship of Terror within the first hour.

Sounds like you should have "OINK'd" one of these.

Quote:

Last night I was digging into my DVR to see what was lurking in there..

5, Silent Hill 2006, Christophe Gans IFC, Ok this was my second time watching this movie spawned from the video game. Now if you are not familiar with this game the movie does a decent job staying true to the game. The setup is a mom is trying to find answers to why her adoptive daughter is drawn to a town called Silent Hill. This town is an old coal town that has a continuous coal fire burning below the town which makes this town creepier even before you seen any of the town folk. As the mom and accompanying female police officer look for the daughter, they run into some baddies, a ton of weird bugs, a dude with a huge sword and the crazy town folk! This movie has a good amount of gore, killings, baddies and the town itself is pretty damn scary! This is one of the 'best' video game to movie I have seen in this genre, imo even besting the Resident Evil series, which are fun but lack the sense of fear/dread of Silent Hill.

4 Contorted Zombies

Never saw these and hoping to get to this year

Quote:

4. The Deadly Spawn. This is a great B creature feature from the early 80's and my first time seeing it. Absolutely terrific effects and realistic characters. It's a "Hard R" as well. Plenty of gore. If you're a fan of Critters you'll be right at home here. One particular scene involves a food processor, a deadly spawn, and a vegetarian dinner party. I couldn't help but love the lead hero. He would have fit right into Explorers with a young Ethan Hawke and River Phoenix. I'm docking half a star due to the video quality from Amazon Instant. This is a case where VHS would be the superior format. 4.5 stars

In the QUEUE
Quote:

larry

Quote:

I stopped it about thirty minutes in. Better stuff on Lifetime.
Ha! I liked it. biggrin.gif Different strokes. tongue.gif
Quote:

Pumpkinhead

My wife brought home work last night so she was using her laptop while we sort of half way watched this movie. It was a first time watch for her but I had seen it a few times before. This was the first time in a long time though. I remember it being so much better all those years ago. It didn't hold up quite as well as I thought it would. Probably the best part of the movie is the Stan Winston creature effects and I was surprised to learn that he actually directed the movie as well. The kills are kind of weak in my opinion so it could have been so much better had Pumpkinhead actually done something besides throw people against trees. I love the old witch character Haggis and let's face it, Lance Henrikson is pretty damn scary looking himself. Wife was not impressed but I'm glad I watched it again, might be a long time before the next viewing if ever though. I give it 3 out of 5 back woods hillbilly zombies.
Creature feature! Yeah, I remember it better than it is too. Also Rawhead Rex a Euro version but not on NF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

2. Uzumaki (first-time viewing)
Strange Japanese movie about a schoolgirl observing her friend's father's descent into madness as he obsesses over uzumaki (spiral shapes). He starts with photographing snail shells but is soon insisting on spiral shaped noodles, amassing a collection of spiral artwork and various items. In the meantime we have subplots going on involving romantic relationships between the schoolgirl and her weirdly androgynous childhood friend, also there is another boy obsessed with getting her attention, and yet another girl whose only goal is to get people to look at her. Eventually spiral-mania infects the entire town and that's when the real horror begins, with various interesting and gory deaths that result in bodies being twisted into spirals, a man killing himself using the spin cycle on a washing mashine, people being turned into snail-like humanoids, spiral fingerprints being chopped off, spiral cochlea being ripped out of one's ears, a spiral storm descending upon the town containing the tortured souls (and faces!) of the dead, etc.

If you think this story sounds all over the place and outrageously weird, even for a Japanese horror movie, you'd be right. The movie is hampered by some crappy desktop-computer quality CGI at times, but is well-directed and has a showy editing style at times reminiscent of Argento, although the color palette is very muted. But the biggest problem with this movie is that there's really only about an hour's worth of story here in a 90-minute feature. I personally don't find anything all that compelling about spiral shapes so I am not really sold on the notion that there is anything particularly sinister going on here. Okay, I get it, people are obsessed with spirals...so what? Still, there are enough memorable scenes and overall weirdness to make this worth watching once. 3 out of 5 spirals, I mean stars.

Bob's October 2013 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. Some Guy Who Kills People (FTV)
2. Uzumaki (FTV)

Sounds like the director had one too many shrooms? tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Bob, that sounds totally unique!!

Hey guys, its only a couple of days and already this is tons of fun!! I love reading all your reviews, and know that even if I dont comment on them, I enjoy them!!

I gotta go out now for awhile, will watch my next movie in the afternoon today, havent decided yet which one it will be.
+1

RS600, 133" 2.8 HP Screen, Panasonic UB-900
Marantz, 7702MKII, Emotiva XPA-1, XPA-2, XPA-100's
7.2.4 with 4pi JBL LCR's, Athena 100 surrounds and 4x Volt 10lx ceiling speakers.
4x FI 18" IB subwoofage with Behringer EP400 amp
Fabric walls, fabric posters, fabric under soffets. No reflections!!
post #6893 of 29117 Old 10-03-2013, 09:22 AM

Seems like attendance is down this year. Did the government shutdown Horror? Are we some ragtag band of rebels destined to be hunted by down and silenced? Are we just keeping it between the lines as we speed down the highway in a dream with burning cities in the rearview?
post #6894 of 29117 Old 10-03-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

STRANDED:

LORDS OF SALEM:

I really want to see these and VHS2 this week!
post #6895 of 29117 Old 10-03-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:

Looks great, adding!

Quote:

Pumpkinhead

Classic 80's creature feature... it's cheesy as hell but I love it.
Quote:

1. The Lords Of Salem
Nice! I really liked I Spit on your Grave and agree that the scene is brutal... about on par with the one in the Last House on the Left remake. I haven't seen Irreversible so couldn't comment on that one. Sarah Butler def deserves a spot on the hottest thread.
Quote:

Seems like attendance is down this year. Did the government shutdown Horror? Are we some ragtag band of rebels destined to be hunted by down and silenced? Are we just keeping it between the lines as we speed down the highway in a dream with burning cities in the rearview?

I've been watching and reading just haven't had much time to post with phone interviews and dady duties but I will do my best to stay engaged. I watched The Loved Ones and Videodrome last night and will update my list later today smile.gif

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror: 
post #6896 of 29117 Old 10-03-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yeah I have noticed that too, but I think AVS made this thread a sticky last year IIRC. People will start chiming in later in the month as we approach Halloween.

Bob that Japanese movie sounds like a trip!

Wizzz, I love the Crite!
post #6897 of 29117 Old 10-03-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Sounds like you should have "OINK'd" one of these.
Actually I did....
Stranded came out after little more than a half hour.
However, with LoS I was more lenient and gave it an hour, and then I did something I very rarely do: FF the movie to see if it picks up.
Unfortunately, not that I could tell....I really WANTED to like LoS. frown.gif
post #6898 of 29117 Old 10-03-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:

Actually I did....
Stranded came out after little more than a half hour.
However, with LoS I was more lenient and gave it an hour, and then I did something I very rarely do: FF the movie to see if it picks up.
Unfortunately, not that I could tell....I really WANTED to like LoS. frown.gif

You really are loosening up? tongue.gif
Your OPPO is letting you down here. Like I've said before, I really like getting audio on fast forward and do not give up much of what the movie is offering. Either draws you in and you pop back to normal speed or turns a 90 minute movie into 50 and you still GET what they were trying to say. As a personal favor I would trade my $60 panny for your OPPO to help you out. You can PM me with the exchange details as I am sure it is embarassing for you.

On with the festivities!

3-Juan of the Dead – 2011- FTV. Yeah, I almost OINK’d this one five minutes in. The writing style just wasn’t working for me. I don’t know if the writing or characterization ever improved but, thankfully, as more zombie carnage took place I was able to enjoy other aspects. Tons of Zombie extras and the shooting locations were fantastic. Even with the annoyingly dated keystone cops writing style, the set backdrops and staging were really impressive. The dissidents angle was funny and always cracks me up how old fashioned, simple , dated or behind the times some foreign movies are. This was made in 2011 but felt more like the 50’s or 60’s. Normally, I don’t like the type of ending they did, but here it did not bother me.
For gore, excellent location and sets, 3 Dissident Zombies.

RS600, 133" 2.8 HP Screen, Panasonic UB-900
Marantz, 7702MKII, Emotiva XPA-1, XPA-2, XPA-100's
7.2.4 with 4pi JBL LCR's, Athena 100 surrounds and 4x Volt 10lx ceiling speakers.
4x FI 18" IB subwoofage with Behringer EP400 amp
Fabric walls, fabric posters, fabric under soffets. No reflections!!
post #6899 of 29117 Old 10-03-2013, 10:45 AM

Five minutes is way too early to judge nearly anything. I've had albums that took a few listens and became my favorites but as they say different strokes.
post #6900 of 29117 Old 10-03-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Nice! I really liked I Spit on your Grave and agree that the scene is brutal... about on par with the one in the Last House on the Left remake. I haven't seen Irreversible so couldn't comment on that one. Sarah Butler def deserves a spot on the hottest thread.

Hottest thread updated. tongue.gif

...Irreversible...It sure isn't an easy watch, but it's a very interesting piece of filmmaking imo. This film has one of the most brutal sequences I've ever seen, and it's not the rape scene.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page