October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 380 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20922Likes

post #11371 of 30403 Old 10-09-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 866
10- ROGUE 2007 (FTV) This was a lot of fun. Great cast, Radha Mitchell, Sam Worthington, Mia Wasakowska...
Another good, solid, foriegn horror movie. Written, directed and produced by the same guy(and Wolf Creek director as well) so you know everyone is on board with the vision. Nothing mind blowingly witty, just great, scenic shots, good tension and a brutal creature. Aussie horror seems to have a good sense of challenge to it and the characters are expected to buck up. Radha Mitchell can be my tour guide any day!

3.75 Aussie Zombies

Cabo's 2014 Octoberfest movies

1- Dead beforeDawn (FTV) .5 Pathetically Bad Zombies

2- Piranha2010 4 Swimming Zombies

3- Screamers –the hunting (FTV) 3 Walking Dead, Laurie look alike Zombies

4- AFFLICTED (FTV) 2 One night stand regretting Zombies

5- Eden Lake 3 pen knife wielding Zombies

6- GODZILLA2000 (FTV) 3 Godzilla never gets old Zombies

7- Friday the13th, Jason takes Manhattan (FTV) 3 Kane Hodder Zombies

8- The QuietOnes (FTV) 3 Zombies armed with hair pins

9- Brotherhoodof the Wolf (FTV) 2.75 Frenchy Zombies

10- MIMIC 3.5Zombie bugs

11- ROGUE (FTV) 3.75Aussie Zombies

RS600, 133" 2.8 HP Screen, Panasonic UB-900
Marantz, 7702MKII, Emotiva XPA-1, XPA-2, XPA-100's
7.2.4 with 4pi JBL LCR's, Athena 100 surrounds and 4x Volt 10lx ceiling speakers.
4x FI 18" IB subwoofage with Behringer EP400 amp
Fabric walls, fabric posters, fabric under soffets. No reflections!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11372 of 30403 Old 10-09-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2407 Post(s)
Liked: 2042
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mice View Post
I remember the Drive-In Theaters a little bit from when I was very young. Actually went to one called the Twin Drive-In which was located near St. Albert Trail and 137 Avenue here in Edmonton. All of the drive-in theaters are gone now in the city, but I did read that there were at least 10 such theaters here back in the mid-1970's.
There is still a twin screen drive-in theater just a few miles away in Concord. I've never been to it though thought of taking in one of their swap meets on the weekend. Currently one of the films showing is "Annabelle" which got a really bad review the other day from a local radio movie critic.
post #11373 of 30403 Old 10-09-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked: 2152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
There is still a twin screen drive-in theater just a few miles away in Concord. I've never been to it though thought of taking in one of their swap meets on the weekend. Currently one of the films showing is "Annabelle" which got a really bad review the other day from a local radio movie critic.
I remember they had a drive in close to SJ airport. We use to go there all the time and it was actually pretty fun. Someone told me the 'dome' theaters near Valley Fair are being demolished. Sad those are awesome walk in theaters. My favorite drive-in in SoCal is the Mission Tiki Drive-ins. It is in an industrial part of Montclair/Claremont but that drive-in is one of the cleanest and well maintained ones I have been to.

#14 Deadsnow, Netflix HD streaming FTV. How could I let this fun horror flick get away from me!? Talk about fun, gory movie about some Nordic campers that encounter some Zombie Nazi's. Also pretty cool that this is a foreign horror flick and they did a great job of this movie! 4 Nordic Zombies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11374 of 30403 Old 10-09-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3131 Post(s)
Liked: 4911
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I remember they had a drive in close to SJ airport. We use to go there all the time and it was actually pretty fun. Someone told me the 'dome' theaters near Valley Fair are being demolished. Sad those are awesome walk in theaters. My favorite drive-in in SoCal is the Mission Tiki Drive-ins. It is in an industrial part of Montclair/Claremont but that drive-in is one of the cleanest and well maintained ones I have been to.

#14 Deadsnow, Netflix HD streaming FTV. How could I let this fun horror flick get away from me!? Talk about fun, gory movie about some Nordic campers that encounter some Zombie Nazi's. Also pretty cool that this is a foreign horror flick and they did a great job of this movie! 4 Nordic Zombies!
Stoked for the sequel!
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #11375 of 30403 Old 10-09-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post
The Witches is available on VOD. Has anyone seen it? I remember that box art but nothing else! This was on my must see list for 2014.

1990 - Produced by Jim Henson and directed by Nicolas Roeg (wtf!)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100944/

A young boy stumbles onto a witch convention and must stop them, even after he has been turned into a mouse.

I've always enjoyed this movie, it's one of my older DVD's (shame no BD yet that I know of). I showed my kids this movie earlier this year and they liked it but were scared of the witches. As they SHOULD BE!
wizzack likes this.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #11376 of 30403 Old 10-09-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2407 Post(s)
Liked: 2042
Quote:
Last year they tore down the dome in Pleasant Hill. There's a Dick's Sporting Goods there now. That 5 screen complex became a Cinearts after Century built a 16 screen multiplex on the other side of the freeway. Some overflow tentpole movies were shown in the dome but the complex mainly served independent and foreign films. However streaming has taken over much of that market.

I seem to recall the Solano Drive-In was going to disappear too but hasn't to date.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #11377 of 30403 Old 10-09-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
8. Tales from the Darkside: The Movie
Horror anthology involving George Romero and Stephen King? I'm there. Actually, I was there, I recall seeing this movie the night it opened in 1990, I had just finished my last final exam in college and wanted to get out. The movie is about how I remember it: three relatively thin but fun short horror films in the spirit of Creepshow/TFTD, and an even thinner wraparound story (with Debbie Harry as a WILF (witch I'd like to...you get the idea!)

I had higher expectations back in 1990, and enjoyed it more for what it is now--a fun little Creepshow done pretty well. As horror anthologies go, you could do much worse--after all, you're getting a hot witch, a vengeful mummy, a cat from hell, and a gargoyle's curse in 93 tidy minutes. And it's a lot of fun watching the young "before they were famous" actors (Steve Buscemi as a college nerd, Julianne Moore as a hot co-ed, Christian Slater looking like a Cub Scout) as well as familiar faces (Debby Harry, David "Buster Poindexter" Johansen, and the always amazing geezer-for-hire William Hickey). The mummy performing mummification practices on his victims (pulling brains out of a nose with a hook, etc.) is inspired fun! Only the last segment feels out of place, but there's some amazing rubber gargoyle costumes that make up for it.

3.5 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2014 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. From Beyond The Grave (FTV) 3/5
2. Bad Dreams (FTV) 3.5/5
3. Bug (1975) (FTV) 2/5
4. The Sacrament (FTV) 3.5/5
5. The Funhouse (FTV) 4/5
6. The Atomic Submarine (FTV) 4/5
7. 13 Sins (FTV) 4/5
8. Tales from the Darkside: The Movie 3.5/5

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

Last edited by Bob McLaughlin; 10-09-2014 at 10:55 PM.
post #11378 of 30403 Old 10-09-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Last year they tore down the dome in Pleasant Hill. There's a Dick's Sporting Goods there now. That 5 screen complex became a Cinearts after Century built a 16 screen multiplex on the other side of the freeway. Some overflow tentpole movies were shown in the dome but the complex mainly served independent and foreign films. However streaming has taken over much of that market.

I seem to recall the Solano Drive-In was going to disappear too but hasn't to date.
I miss the Dome, that theater was incredible. Last movie I saw there was The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest. I think the first was Star Wars. The drive-in is pretty ghetto. There is another one in Sac but not sure if it is any better.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror: 
post #11379 of 30403 Old 10-09-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
I miss the Dome, that theater was incredible. Last movie I saw there was The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest. I think the first was Star Wars. The drive-in is pretty ghetto. There is another one in Sac but not sure if it is any better.
Are you talking about the Sac 6 drive-in off the 50 fwy?
post #11380 of 30403 Old 10-09-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
Are you talking about the Sac 6 drive-in off the 50 fwy?
No, I haven't been to a drive-in in the Sac area yet but the Solano one in Concord is ghetto.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror: 
post #11381 of 30403 Old 10-09-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
No, I haven't been to a drive-in in the Sac area yet but the Solano one in Concord is ghetto.
I see, I have never been to the Solano one or Concord one. The Sac 6 is ok but the last time I was there, episode 3 just came out.
post #11382 of 30403 Old 10-09-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Spoiler!

Also, I think I just figured out your AVS name. You were dropped on the floor when you were born?

7.2.4 with 4pi JBL LCR's, Athena 100 surrounds and 4x Volt 10lx ceiling speakers.
post #11383 of 30403 Old 10-09-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Spoiler!

Also, I think I just figured out your AVS name. You were dropped on the floor when you were born?
My parents would say that! I do think my mom dropped me once though.

That part was pretty cool and I really liked that 'refrigerator' below the floor in that cabin!
GoCaboNow likes this.
post #11384 of 30403 Old 10-09-2014, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 7227 Post(s)
Liked: 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Felt like some classic style last night and this morning.

24. The Wolfman. My first watch of this left me a little meh but it is really solid and pretty bloody. The bluray looks great. Set design and costumes are awesome. Some of the effects are a little weak and perhaps the violence is a bit over the top but still a solid flick. The early scene with Benicio at the play reminded me of James Franco for some reason. I still think the middle is a bit weak as I tune it out every time I watch it.

25. Shadow of the Vampire. While not a strict horror it's still pretty fantastic and I've loved the concept since it came out 14 years ago. It's fun to watch these performances.
I like The Wolfman. So glad they went with an R rating instead of a Twilighty PG13.
GoCaboNow likes this.

post #11385 of 30403 Old 10-09-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
I see, I have never been to the Solano one or Concord one. The Sac 6 is ok but the last time I was there, episode 3 just came out.
Sac 6 is where I saw first Star Wars.

And also spent a lot of weekends my senior year not watching the movies.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #11386 of 30403 Old 10-09-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2065
Quote:
I remember the Drive-In Theaters a little bit from when I was very young. Actually went to one called the Twin Drive-In which was located near St. Albert Trail and 137 Avenue here in Edmonton. All of the drive-in theaters are gone now in the city, but I did read that there were at least 10 such theaters here back in the mid-1970's.
When I was young,we had a drive in theater in NE Ohio.My parents would take us all the time.Strangely,the only movie I remember is Willard.Some 'old guys' may remember this.On another note,missing some of your guys Halloween decorations.Please post some pics.There was some great stuff last year.
post #11387 of 30403 Old 10-09-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2248 Post(s)
Liked: 3499
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydq View Post
8. The Mist (2007)(FTV) - 3.5

Just finished this up. It was a good movie overall. I watched the black and white version. I can’t say if it was better or added anything to the experience, because I haven’t seen it in color. I’m going to guess it probably helped with some of the CGI effects. There was a lot of tension, and there was a good balance between dealing with internal and external struggle. And, I think Frank Darabont has a good track record adapting Stephen King’s work. I think the main thing that kept this out of the 4 range for me was that it was by Stephen King. I’m not going to pretend like I knew what the ending was going to be. However,
Spoiler!

It was fun to see what was basically an audition tape for The Walking Dead.
One of the things that is the undoing of The Mist is the emergence of a crazy leader, ala The Stand. It works but you do get that 'We've done this in Steven King land before" same thing happens with Under The Dome". I like both the The Mist and Under The Dome but with The Mist the crazy leader thing saps some of the power out of the film.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #11388 of 30403 Old 10-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Ended up watching My Bloody Valentine from 2009 this evening after work. I couldn't tell you how long I've been meaning to get to this one but I've finally done it. Actually it was better than I was expecting. Somewhat predictable and not too great in the first half, but it definitely picks up and has a good element of suspense and tension in the second half. The gore factor throughout was pretty decent also. Although I would not say that anything I have watched this Halloween season was bad, this movie was a welcome change of pace from what I had been watching previously this month.

I agree that Tales From The Darkside - The Movie was pretty good. Someone I know recommended it to me a few years back and I was glad he did because I don't think I would have bothered with it otherwise. A nice little gem to pull out here and there.

Last edited by The Mice; 10-09-2014 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Clarification of which version of the movie
post #11389 of 30403 Old 10-10-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

#15, Grabbers, Netflix steaming HD, FTV...I like creature features so I decided to give this one a spin. This movie is basically a version of Tremors, but on a island in Ireland. Low budget creature film with a dash of comedy because the people of the island have to consume a lot of alcohol so the grabbers will not want to drink their blood/kill them, ha! 3 Tentacled Zombies!

I haven't watch The Mist in a while and I love the bass stomps the creatures do! IIRC, Frank decided to add that special ending because it wasn't in the original short story SK told. It basically ends with that
Spoiler!
post #11390 of 30403 Old 10-10-2014, 07:22 AM

I didn't get any watches in last night. I had a tea party instead.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #11391 of 30403 Old 10-10-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think I might go for a classic horror movie this afternoon, maybe Rosemary's Baby.
Bob McLaughlin likes this.
post #11392 of 30403 Old 10-10-2014, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
Yup it's that time of year again
GoCaboNow likes this.
post #11393 of 30403 Old 10-10-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
When I was young,we had a drive in theater in NE Ohio.My parents would take us all the time.Strangely,the only movie I remember is Willard.Some 'old guys' may remember this.On another note,missing some of your guys Halloween decorations.Please post some pics.There was some great stuff last year.

I will be posting pics soon. The inside of the house is almost done but we aren't starting the yard until tomorrow. I've been working on a homemade graveyard fence that has been consuming more time than I had expected. Either way, I'll get some preliminary shots up this weekend.

Quote:
Ended up watching My Bloody Valentine from 2009 this evening after work. I couldn't tell you how long I've been meaning to get to this one but I've finally done it. Actually it was better than I was expecting. Somewhat predictable and not too great in the first half, but it definitely picks up and has a good element of suspense and tension in the second half. The gore factor throughout was pretty decent also. Although I would not say that anything I have watched this Halloween season was bad, this movie was a welcome change of pace from what I had been watching previously this month.

Have you seen the original MBV? If not, you should give it a spin. Its chock full of Oscar-worthy performances and an unending amount of 80's cheese. Good fun and better than the remake.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

OG October Horrorfest Contributor
post #11394 of 30403 Old 10-10-2014, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
I never watched a movie on Netflix. Is there a way to browse for movies? Is there any sort of movie list? Thanks.
Jim, a great site to see what is streaming on netflix is canistreamit.it
Also you can check out nerdiots.com to see whats new on the stream for the month and what is being removed.
post #11395 of 30403 Old 10-10-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I look forward to seeing some Halloween decorations! Mine is really nothing this year, just some basic orange/dark purple lights and some tombstones. Hopefully next year I can dedicate some time to making a huge spider to put on my roof! I think that inspiration comes from Bob's killer Halloween House. Kenobi was the other member that had a Killer House too! IIRC, he had a video of it last year as well!
Bob McLaughlin likes this.
post #11396 of 30403 Old 10-10-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:

I agree that Tales From The Darkside - The Movie was pretty good. Someone I know recommended it to me a few years back and I was glad he did because I don't think I would have bothered with it otherwise. A nice little gem to pull out here and there.
Good call on the MBV remake. It's still good even without all the 3D gags.
post #11397 of 30403 Old 10-10-2014, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 252
You guys are killing it this year. There's at least a dozen flick posted that I'm really looking forward to watching.

I rented Dead Snow 2 and found it more enjoyable than the first. Fresh ideas, mondo gore and some good laughs. The people that made this movie are smart, twisted and truly care about the genre. Can't wait to see how they top this. Stay past the credits!
post #11398 of 30403 Old 10-10-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
I will be posting pics soon. The inside of the house is almost done but we aren't starting the yard until tomorrow. I've been working on a homemade graveyard fence that has been consuming more time than I had expected. Either way, I'll get some preliminary shots up this weekend.

Have you seen the original MBV? If not, you should give it a spin. Its chock full of Oscar-worthy performances and an unending amount of 80's cheese. Good fun and better than the remake.
Awesome, IIRC, last years were really cool!

I saw the original theatrically. Not many would admit this...

Quote:
Agreed!

Quote:
You guys are killing it this year. There's at least a dozen flick posted that I'm really looking forward to watching.

I rented Dead Snow 2 and found it more enjoyable than the first. Fresh ideas, mondo gore and some good laughs. The people that made this movie are smart, twisted and truly care about the genre. Can't wait to see how they top this. Stay past the credits!
Rented it, what's that?
They closed all the Blockbusters near me...

Did HELLBENDERS 2012 (FTV) last night. Extremely inconsistent effort. First few scenes were horribly acted, staged - everything. Got better and had a bit of a Ghostbusters comedic vibe.
Best line -
Spoiler!

2.5 finger chomping Zombies

post #11399 of 30403 Old 10-10-2014, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

No honestly I have not, but I will try to get my hands on it and watch it next October! I heard it is very good.
post #11400 of 30403 Old 10-10-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Where'd you rent it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page