October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 384 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20955Likes

post #11491 of 30445 Old 10-14-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 207
10. Hostel 3 (NF Streaming, FTV)
I waited for some jerk who took his sweet time at the Red Box last night only to find out they didn't have the movie I wanted despite their webpage saying otherwise, so I wound up watching Hostel 3 instead.

I enjoyed the first Hostel despite the nasty labels being thrown around at people who liked it, and I thought the second one expanded on the EHC and added to the first, even if it wasn't a "better" movie.

Hostel 3 did a lot of neat things but I think it kind of hurt the franchise overall, if that's possible. It seemed like by going its own direction it became a bit inconsistent, and knowing what we know from Hostel 2 it is hard to consider the ending of 3 very satisfying.

Worth it for fans of these movies but the worst of the bunch.

XBox: King Nuthin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11492 of 30445 Old 10-14-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
13. Resolution (FTV)
A well-meaning friend locks up his crack-addicted pal in an isolated house in order to force him to go sober, but he soon begins finding various types of old media that all seem to point to their own bad ending. The sense of unease builds and builds as he encounters threatening drug dealers, resentful Native Americans, UFO cultists, and a hermit scientist, all who only add to the layers of mystery and richness of the atmosphere. We're all familiar with the creepy "cabin in the woods" trope, but Resolution does something very different with the premise, turning the whole concept of storytelling through media into an enigma in itself. If this doesn't feel like a horror movie, it's because it's not following formula, and the scares are more along the lines of creeping dread and a weird unease rather than overt jumps. The main characters are interesting and their flawed friendship feels very real, which makes the strangeness around them seem all the more strange. If you like movies that make you think about what's going on (Memento, Primer, etc.) while still being entertaining, give "Resolution" a try. Available on Netflix streaming.

4 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2014 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. From Beyond The Grave (FTV) 3/5
2. Bad Dreams (FTV) 3.5/5
3. Bug (1975) (FTV) 2/5
4. The Sacrament (FTV) 3.5/5
5. The Funhouse (FTV) 4/5
6. The Atomic Submarine (FTV) 4/5
7. 13 Sins (FTV) 4/5
8. Tales from the Darkside: The Movie 3.5/5
9. Stir of Echoes 4.5/5
10. Dead Snow 3.5/5
11. The Hole (FTV) 4/5
12. Shivers (FTV) 3.5/5
13. Resolution (FTV) 4/5

BornSlippyZ and postrokfan like this.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

Last edited by Bob McLaughlin; 10-14-2014 at 02:31 PM.
post #11493 of 30445 Old 10-14-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3152 Post(s)
Liked: 4947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
13. Resolution (FTV)
A well-meaning friend locks up his crack-addicted pal in an isolated house in order to force him to go sober, but he soon begins finding various types of old media that all seem to point to their own bad ending. The sense of unease builds and builds as he encounters threatening drug dealers, resentful Native Americans, UFO cultists, and a hermit scientist, all who only add to the layers of mystery and richness of the atmosphere. We're all familiar with the creepy "cabin in the woods" trope, but Resolution does something very different with the premise, turning the whole concept of storytelling through media into an enigma in itself. If this doesn't feel like a horror movie, it's because it's not following formula, and the scares are more along the lines of creeping dread and a weird unease rather than overt jumps. The main characters are interesting and their flawed friendship feels very real, which makes the strangeness around them seem all the more strange. If you like movies that make you think about what's going on (Memento, Primer, etc.) while still being entertaining, give "Resolution" a try. Available on Netflix streaming.

4 out of 5 stars.

3. Bug (1975) (FTV) 2/5
7. 13 Sins (FTV) 4/5
9. Stir of Echoes 4.5/5
10. Dead Snow 3.5/5
11. The Hole (FTV) 4/5
12. Shivers (FTV) 3.5/5
13. Resolution (FTV) 4/5
If you liked Resolution that much you'll absolutely adore The Battery.
Bob McLaughlin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11494 of 30445 Old 10-14-2014, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
10. Hostel 3 (NF Streaming, FTV)
I waited for some jerk who took his sweet time at the Red Box last night only to find out they didn't have the movie I wanted despite their webpage saying otherwise, so I wound up watching Hostel 3 instead.

I enjoyed the first Hostel despite the nasty labels being thrown around at people who liked it, and I thought the second one expanded on the EHC and added to the first, even if it wasn't a "better" movie.

Hostel 3 did a lot of neat things but I think it kind of hurt the franchise overall, if that's possible. It seemed like by going its own direction it became a bit inconsistent, and knowing what we know from Hostel 2 it is hard to consider the ending of 3 very satisfying.

Worth it for fans of these movies but the worst of the bunch.
I didn't even know there was a Hostel 3! I have the 1st two, although I never opened the Blu Rays I bought in a bundle b/c I've grown to not wanna see savage mutilation (as opposed to humane mutilation) to that degree anymore, but if I can find this one, I'll get it, I suppose. Can't break a set!
post #11495 of 30445 Old 10-14-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked: 2152
Last night and today I watched two Russian themed Horror movies.

#19 Entity, Netflix HD streaming, FTV...Another fauxmentary about some paranormal investigators seeking information about a group of people that died in a Russian forest. The movie starts out well enough and the plot thickens because one of the investigators is psychic. She sees the tortured spirits which lead them to an abandoned building and things started to happen. I liked this film but I liked the back story better than what the film was showing me. Has some scares, little blood. 2 Remote Viewing Zombies!

#20, Devil's Pass, Netflix HD streaming, FTV...I can say I finally hit a home run with these FTV's on these shaky cam movies! This movie was top notch akin to the BlairWitch Project and that is a good thing! I won't ruin the movie if others haven't seen it but it has to do with the 1959 deaths of hikers in the mountains of rural Russia, which is a true story. They died oddly with some freezing to death by a fire, to ones having their tongue ripped out etc. So the story is about some American college students that go to Russia to investigate what possibly happened. This movie has it all, mind-bending, scares, some laughs, creatures and some awesome BASS! I was really shocked that Netflix DDplus outputted some decent BASS, color me tickled and surprised! I think I want to buy the BD just to here it in Lossless sound! 4 Yeti Zombies!!!
ApolloCreed likes this.
post #11496 of 30445 Old 10-14-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
If you liked Resolution that much you'll absolutely adore The Battery.
I've been wanting to watch The Battery! Hoping it would come to Netflix but so far no dice. Guess I could stream it through Amazon...

post #11497 of 30445 Old 10-14-2014, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 103
16. Street Trash (1987)(FTV) - 4.0

I’m not really sure how to rate this, or really how to describe it. I’m rating it high, because it was well done and had some pretty cool effects. Also, the plot was like a waking nightmare. So, from a horror perspective, I think it has to be considered good. It’s a sweet little story about a liquor store proprietor who finds a case of liquor in his basement called Viper. He decides to sell it for $1 a bottle, which is an attractive price for hobos. Unfortunately, the drink causes the drinker to melt in a horrific, albeit colorful, manner. This is the crux of the movie, but it’s also about the full extent of how this substance figures into the plot. Beyond this, it’s pretty much wide open. A police officer beats the crap out of a guy, then sticks his finger down his throat and pukes on his unconscious body. There is a multitude of hobo sex, both consensual and nonconsensual (most of the plot elements revolve around the hobo life). Some guys play a game of keep away with a man’s severed organ, etc. The experience leaves you feeling like you need to take a shower.

17. Wer (2013)(FTV) - 3.5

Hey look, I’m being helpful and reviewing a recent release! I saw this in the Redbox and thought it looked interesting. It is a take on the werewolf story where the mythology unfolds as a defense attorney and her team investigate their client’s alleged involvement in a brutal murder. It was pretty interesting, because it attempts to apply a practical, medical explanation to the phenomenon since they are approaching it from the perspective of building a defense. The fact that it ultimately supports a plausible explanation for werewolf lore is secondary. It had some gory moments, and did a good job of building a suspenseful atmosphere. It did have some CGI blood, unfortunately.
ApolloCreed likes this.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Horrorfest 2013 (in 2014)

Horrorfest 2014
post #11498 of 30445 Old 10-14-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Street Trash is a classic. Is it on streaming or ? I added The Stuff to my Netflix queue over the weekend which got me to thinking that Street Trash is the real blast from the past I need to see again.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #11499 of 30445 Old 10-14-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
Raze - 1 1/2 never go full r3tard zombies
This was not really a horror movie now that I've sen it. Kind of a really crappy blend of Hostel meets Fight club where these chicks are captured and forced to fight to the death with no weapons for the viewing pleasure of upscale gamblers as part of some long running secret society. Predictable, contrived, poorly written, even more poorly acted, etc. /Fail
Too bad, I like the premise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
12. Haunt (2013)- {3.5/5} Netflix Streaming (FTV) This movie is about a family that moves into a house that was reportedly haunted due to the misfortune that fell upon the previous owners. Not the most original idea for a movie, no doubt, but the way this one is executed is what made it a very enjoyable experience. It starts with a good scene that loosely explains what happened to the prior family and then it goes into a narrative from Jacki Weaver ((who does an excellent job of playing the mother (and sole survivor) of the tragedies that happened to the rest of her family)) as she basically explains that this story is no different than any other ghost story in the way that it begins. Which is certainly true given the overall premise, but its the back story and how it all plays out that gives it it's own identity. The subtle scares as well as the jump scares all worked pretty well for me. I also liked the fact that it hid much of what was going on until the last several minutes. I remember being disappointed that the movie was not explaining anything and that it was an overall half-baked effort. However, when it was all said and done, it came together in a pretty cool story. At the center of the story was a budding relationship between the two teenage main characters and when it started to progress, I was having flashbacks of Twilight. Thankfully, this goes in a different direction and was able to create a solid tale full of creepy images and good surprises. All of the acting was pretty good but as stated before, Jacki Weaver (in a semi-supportive role) was awesome, especially in her narration of the story. Good times.
Loves me some good back story!
Quote:
13. Resolution (FTV)

4 out of 5 stars.
Jump scares are starting to annoy me. Most don't even involve anything sinister.
I don't mind a slight jump scare when it is just a cat, rat or whatever. Is cool, because when the REAL scare comes it takes you that much more by surprise, theoretically. But many crappy flics HAVE to give you the full audio for a $#*@ing cat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Last night and today I watched two Russian themed Horror movies.

#20, Devil's Pass, Netflix HD streaming, FTV...I can say I finally hit a home run with these FTV's on these shaky cam movies! This movie was top notch akin to the BlairWitch Project and that is a good thing! I won't ruin the movie if others haven't seen it but it has to do with the 1959 deaths of hikers in the mountains of rural Russia, which is a true story. They died oddly with some freezing to death by a fire, to ones having their tongue ripped out etc. So the story is about some American college students that go to Russia to investigate what possibly happened. This movie has it all, mind-bending, scares, some laughs, creatures and some awesome BASS! I was really shocked that Netflix DDplus outputted some decent BASS, color me tickled and surprised! I think I want to buy the BD just to here it in Lossless sound! 4 Yeti Zombies!!!
Wahoo! In my queue now.
stevew24963 and BornSlippyZ like this.

RS600, 133" 2.8 HP Screen, Panasonic UB-900
Marantz, 7702MKII, Emotiva XPA-1, XPA-2, XPA-100's
7.2.4 with 4pi JBL LCR's, Athena 100 surrounds and 4x Volt 10lx ceiling speakers.
4x FI 18" IB subwoofage with Behringer EP400 amp
Fabric walls, fabric posters, fabric under soffets. No reflections!!
post #11500 of 30445 Old 10-14-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Much to my dismay, Devil's Pass or Dyatlov Pass Incident on BD isn't sold in the US so it is about $38 USD for region B!
post #11501 of 30445 Old 10-14-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 2623
Banshee Chapter (2013) - "Journalist Anne Roland explores the disturbing links behind her friend's sudden disappearance, an ominous government research chemical, and a disturbing radio broadcast of unknown origin."

Wow, what a ride that was! I consider it more of a psychological thriller with some horror elements than a straight-up horror movie, but I liked it. My mind is now bent. Ted Lavine (AKA Monk's Capt. Stottlemeyer) is the ultimate stoner in this one.

I've heard numbers recited in a similar fashion before but I can't place it. Maybe in a different movie or in a song? I was in the US Navy for 20 years so maybe that has something to do with it?

Last edited by Ken.F; 10-14-2014 at 05:53 PM.
post #11502 of 30445 Old 10-14-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Banshee Chapter (2013) - Journalist Anne Roland explores the disturbing links behind her friend's sudden disappearance, an ominous government research chemical, and a disturbing radio broadcast of unknown origin.

Wow, what a ride that was! I consider it more of a psychological thriller with some horror elements than a straight-up horror movie, but I liked it. My mind is now bent. Ted Lavine (AKA Monk's Capt. Stottlemeyer) is the ultimate stoner in this one.

I've heard numbers recited in a similar fashion before but I can't place it. Maybe in a different movie or in a song? I was in the US Navy for 20 years so maybe that has something to do with it?
This movie was a nice little gem! That actor has been in a ton of films form Silence of the Lambs to The Fast and the Furious. Yeah those shortwave radio transmissions were freaky!
post #11503 of 30445 Old 10-14-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Much to my dismay, Devil's Pass or Dyatlov Pass Incident on BD isn't sold in the US so it is about $38 USD for region B!
At least NF has the dvd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Banshee Chapter (2013) - Journalist Anne Roland explores the disturbing links behind her friend's sudden disappearance, an ominous government research chemical, and a disturbing radio broadcast of unknown origin.
Professionally done.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

7.2.4 with 4pi JBL LCR's, Athena 100 surrounds and 4x Volt 10lx ceiling speakers.
post #11504 of 30445 Old 10-14-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 2623
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Professionally done.
Oops. Forgot the quotes. Fixed it.
post #11505 of 30445 Old 10-14-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Jump scares are starting to annoy me. Most don't even involve anything sinister.
I don't mind a slight jump scare when it is just a cat, rat or whatever. Is cool, because when the REAL scare comes it takes you that much more by surprise, theoretically. But many crappy flics HAVE to give you the full audio for a $#*@ing cat?
Yeah I agree, too many movies just do jump-scare after jump-scare, that gets annoying real quick. I don't mind one or two big ones if they are germane to the plot or truly shocking, but to me a real scare is something that has to be earned during the course of the film, not just the use of loud sounds to provoke a reaction. But I think today's audiences are getting so conditioned to horror movies having jump scares, they feel like if it doesn't have any, there must be something wrong with the movie.
GoCaboNow likes this.

post #11506 of 30445 Old 10-14-2014, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Knocked two more movies off my list tonight, first was the 1953 classic House of Wax starring Vincent Price, and then the second movie was Mystery of the Wax Museum from 1933. I didn't realize this ahead of time but House of Wax is a remake of the 1933 film. Anyway, both films were good although I thought House of Wax was the better of the two.

My list of movies is going down pretty fast, I still need to do a few a few key sets such as my Wolf Man Legacy Collection, the 4-film Dracula collection, the Psycho series and few odds and ends. If I can get through all this, then I can proceed to my secondary list or dig through some other movies I have.
post #11507 of 30445 Old 10-14-2014, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:

If I'm not mistaken, I recall 28 Days Later and/or 28 Weeks Later as being guilty of this. Good movies, but still, I agree.
post #11508 of 30445 Old 10-14-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 934
Okay, here are some random shots I took the other night. Nothing special, but you get the idea. The evil pumpkin guy with the 3 tombstones underneath him is my favorite. He's 12 feet tall and creepy as hell. The inside pics were taken in full light, but when I have the lights dimmed and LED spotlights on them, they're pretty creepy looking. The headless horseman is standing in our porch area behind the patio door and is full sized. He's one of our new props this year and is awesome. Speaks all kinds of phrases and the pumpkin head lights up in different colors when he is activated. You can barely see it, but in the first pic there is a graveyard fence in the foreground that I made from scratch using a tutorial online. Right now I only have two sections done, but am working on several more to surround the whole graveyard. Anyway, we have a couple other things that are still on their way and within the next week, everything should be completed. Maybe I'll post some new pics when the whole thing is completed and we have all of our jack o lanterns out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0779.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	312114   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0783.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	312122   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0784.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	312130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0787.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	312138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0790.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	312146  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0792.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	312154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0793.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	312162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0794.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	312170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0795.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	312178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0797.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	312186  

OG October Horrorfest Contributor
post #11509 of 30445 Old 10-14-2014, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2065
Quote:
Okay, here are some random shots I took the other night. Nothing special, but you get the idea. The evil pumpkin guy with the 3 tombstones underneath him is my favorite. He's 12 feet tall and creepy as hell. The inside pics were taken in full light, but when I have the lights dimmed and LED spotlights on them, they're pretty creepy looking. The headless horseman is standing in our porch area behind the patio door and is full sized. He's one of our new props this year and is awesome. Speaks all kinds of phrases and the pumpkin head lights up in different colors when he is activated. You can barely see it, but in the first pic there is a graveyard fence in the foreground that I made from scratch using a tutorial online. Right now I only have two sections done, but am working on several more to surround the whole graveyard. Anyway, we have a couple other things that are still on their way and within the next week, everything should be completed. Maybe I'll post some new pics when the whole thing is completed and we have all of our jack o lanterns out.
Excellent,looking good and creepy.I've been so busy with work,7-10's the past few weeks,haven't had much time for movies or decorating.Taking this weekend off and going to Disney World for sons birthday,then back to the grind.We'll get a few pumpkins done and throw some Ghosts up for sure for Halloween.Keep up the good work with the reviews guys,enjoying them all.
post #11510 of 30445 Old 10-15-2014, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3152 Post(s)
Liked: 4947
34. Anaconda. John Voight's crazy eyes are the real star in this 1997 creature feature of giant Amazonian reptiles. He's the Ahab and the snake is the white whale. Surprisingly the effects are really good and hold up nicely.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #11511 of 30445 Old 10-15-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Very nice, Apollo! That pumpkin king at 12 feet tall must be something to see in person! And I like that scary woman coming up from the grave! I've been thinking about doing a graveyard fence for years, but never got around to it, seems like there's always something else I end up doing instead. That headless horseman is great! Now you're going to have to make a horse to go with him!

post #11512 of 30445 Old 10-15-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

14. Big Ass Spider! (FTV)
Title says it all. A lonesome exterminator who takes his job very seriously goes to battle with a government-created mutant spider that keeps growing after each attack. Along the way he picks up a wisecracking Hispanic hospital security guard sidekick and tirelessly pursues a blonde hottie in a military uniform. The characterization and banter between the exterminator and his sidekick is very funny, moreso than the usual deliberately self-aware sci-fi/bad CGI shlock we've grown accustomed to. An unexpectedly effective Pixies cover of "Where is My Mind?" set to slow mo scenes of spider destruction kicks things off to set the demented yet fun tone of the movie. The scene where the spider runs amok in a sunny L.A. park was my favorite, with an acid-melted corpse dropped unceremoniously onto the picnic table of the perfect wholesome American family getting a big laugh. Available on Netflix streaming.

3 out of 5 stars.

3. Bug (1975) (FTV) 2/5
7. 13 Sins (FTV) 4/5
9. Stir of Echoes 4.5/5
10. Dead Snow 3.5/5
11. The Hole (FTV) 4/5
12. Shivers (FTV) 3.5/5
13. Resolution (FTV) 4/5
14. Big Ass Spider! (FTV) 3/5

post #11513 of 30445 Old 10-15-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That is a great screen grab of that spider on the old Interstate Tower in L.A.!
Bob McLaughlin likes this.
post #11514 of 30445 Old 10-15-2014, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 7250 Post(s)
Liked: 16482
Watched Prince of Darkness last night on DVD. Haven't upgraded it to blu yet. Love this movie. You just can't go wrong with half of Simon & Simon, Egg Shen and Alice Cooper. Throw in Carpenter's great score and it's like landing the Triple Lindy.

post #11515 of 30445 Old 10-15-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

15 - Under the Skin 2013 (FTV) Can't say I was overly excited when this showed up from Netflix as I did not remember a ton of buzz about this and what I did remember was how slow/boring it is. I have to say this is one of the more artistically shot movies I have seen in a long time. Right from the beginning the shots are beautiful and slightly alien in nature. Very little dialogue and the director just lets the camera tell the story. In a darkened room, on a good display, this was a breathtaking visual experience. The movie is so subdued though and I have no idea why Scarlett Johansen would do this movie? Also, not sure what was her and what could have been body doubles? What I do know was her, was not overly flattering imo, except for a few shots.

Also, this is where I do miss brother OINK, as I would have pointed out, in jest, that he would have enjoyed all the male frontal nudity. LOL.

This movie has -
A naked ScarJo
ScarJo in too tight of jeans
A bunch of horny Brits
Beautiful scenes/imagery

3.5 uncircumcised Zombies

Cabo’s 2014 Octoberfest movies

1- Deadbefore Dawn (FTV) .5 Pathetically Bad Zombies

2- Piranha2010 4 Swimming Zombies

3- Screamers– the hunting (FTV) 3 Walking Dead, Laurie look alike Zombies

4- AFFLICTED (FTV) 2 One night stand regretting Zombies

5- Eden Lake 3 pen knifewielding Zombies

6- GODZILLA2000 (FTV) 3 Godzilla never gets old Zombies

7- Friday the13th, Jason takes Manhattan (FTV) 3 Kane Hodder Zombies

8- The QuietOnes (FTV) 3 Zombies armed with hair pins

9- Brotherhoodof the Wolf (FTV) 2.75 Frenchy Zombies

10- MIMIC 3.5Zombie bugs

11- ROGUE 3.75Aussie Zombies (FTV)

12- Hellbenders2.5 finger chomping Zombies (FTV)

13- ResidentEvil 4.5 Zombies with bad teeth

14- GraveEncounters (FTV) 3 rat eating Zombies

15- Under theSkin (FTV) 3.5 uncircumcised Zombies

post #11516 of 30445 Old 10-15-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Very nice, Apollo! That pumpkin king at 12 feet tall must be something to see in person! And I like that scary woman coming up from the grave! I've been thinking about doing a graveyard fence for years, but never got around to it, seems like there's always something else I end up doing instead. That headless horseman is great! Now you're going to have to make a horse to go with him!

Thanks man. The pumpkin guy brings a smile to my face every time I leave home or come up the driveway. I have an orange spot light on him, so it produces a really cool effect. The fence is easy but ridiculously time consuming. Now that I have the hang of it though, I expect the rest of the sections to go smoothly. The lady groundbreaker is named Demonica and you can find her at Spirit Halloween. She is animated and when it goes off, her eyes light up blood red and she begins to push herself up as if she is climbing out of the ground. This whole time, she is making these horrible guttural sounds with some evil laughter that really freaks people out. I think my horseman is content without his horse right now, so I'm gonna skip on building him one.

post #11517 of 30445 Old 10-15-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

13. Se7en (1995)- {5/5} Blu-ray No need to explain the premise as I'm confident everyone has seen this movie at one point or another. It's classified as a crime thriller, but considering the gore and overall evil nature of the storyline, there is no doubt in my mind that this fits in nicely in the horror genre as well. This is my first time with the blu-ray version and although the PQ didn't necessarily catch my attention, the surround mix was quite prominent. In fact, this is probably one of the most active use of surrounds that I can recall, especially when there was background music in certain scenes. It was a little strange to get used to, but I liked it as it was not a distraction in any way. In all my years of doing this marathon, The Shining has been the only movie to get a 5/5. However, after seeing this again after many years, I simply couldn't find a reason to dock this movie any points. It is so perfectly created with the nonstop rainy/gloomy days, awesome score, vile imagery and amazing set pieces that one can't help but be completely fixated on the movie the entire time. It was an absolute delight to revisit this after all this time and I can't help but wonder how awesome it would be for someone to experience this movie for the first time. And the final sequence, when the killer is revealed and we see the last of the sins play themselves out...........it is nothing short of legendary in the world of filmmaking. One of the best movies I've ever seen....hands down.

Last edited by ApolloCreed; 10-16-2014 at 07:49 AM.
post #11518 of 30445 Old 10-15-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2418 Post(s)
Liked: 2047
If finished off "Elfie Hopkins: Cannibal Hunter" last night. I'll give it three severed fingers. Also took a trip in the time machine back to the 1985 big hair period for "The Stuff" with a young Michael Moriarty which is a fun horror sci-fi comedy. Three and an half cartons of "The Stuff". And remember "enough is not enough... of the Stuff."
post #11519 of 30445 Old 10-15-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@ Apollocreed, you have sweet Halloween decorations! I like the lighting on them as well! Good stuff!

#21, Scanners, Criterion BD....Today I needed to watch a newer classic and the mail lady handed me the netflix envelope containing the Criterion version of Scanners! I was pretty stoked that Netflix rents these bad boys out! On to the movie and most here have probably seen this fantastic movie. This film is a little bit Sci/Fi, Thriller and Horror, the story plays out well mixing all of these elements together. I love pretty much all of David Cronenberg films but Scanners has a lot of things going for it, mainly the effects work (especially for 1981), no CGI and the people that did the effects works. Notably Dick Smith's work on this film and his stamp is on the final part of the movie! This is also the best presentation that I have seen Scanners on. I was too young to see this in the theaters so I have seen these films on LD, VHS, DVD and now the Criterion BD. The movie looks fantastic and you can see how detailed the effects were done! It was very fun to revisit Scanners on BD and it was pretty cool to also watch the supplemental part of the disc that delve into how crazy hectic it was making this film. 5 Head Exploding Zombies!!!
post #11520 of 30445 Old 10-15-2014, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
Street Trash is a classic. Is it on streaming or ? I added The Stuff to my Netflix queue over the weekend which got me to thinking that Street Trash is the real blast from the past I need to see again.
Nope, this is one that I purchased recently. I have The Stuff locked and loaded as well, it looks promising.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Horrorfest 2013 (in 2014)

Horrorfest 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page