October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 665 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17598Likes

post #19921 of 29226 Old 04-06-2016, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6913 Post(s)
Liked: 15524
I swung by BBY this morning to exchange my SW disc. Of course it played fine on their player. They went ahead and did the exchange anyway. I won't be able to check if it works on my player until this evening. Gotta say I'm a bit discouraged.

Advertisement

post #19922 of 29226 Old 04-06-2016, 10:20 AM

Since I couldn't watch The Force Awakens last night, I decided to get my wolf on with Little Dead Rotting Hood.

BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #19923 of 29226 Old 04-06-2016, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I swung by BBY this morning to exchange my SW disc. Of course it played fine on their player. They went ahead and did the exchange anyway. I won't be able to check if it works on my player until this evening. Gotta say I'm a bit discouraged.
Ouch, after you and the Slipster having issues, I better test mine before I have a room full of pre teen girls run amok.
Quote:
Since I couldn't watch The Force Awakens last night, I decided to get my wolf on with Little Dead Rotting Hood.

This had to be cinematic gold?

RS600, 133" 2.8 HP Screen, Panasonic UB-900
Marantz, 7702MKII, Emotiva XPA-1, XPA-2, XPA-100's
7.2.4 with 4pi JBL LCR's, Athena 100 surrounds and 4x Volt 10lx ceiling speakers.
4x FI 18" IB subwoofage with Behringer EP400 amp
Fabric walls, fabric posters, fabric under soffets. No reflections!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19924 of 29226 Old 04-06-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
Ouch, after you and the Slipster having issues, I better test mine before I have a room full of pre teen girls run amok.
I'm thinking my player just had a brain fart and needs to be rebooted. I'll find out tonight. :fingerscrossed:

Quote:
This had to be cinematic gold?
You know it's gold when Deanna Troi from Star Trek: TNG is Granny. Just make sure you have plenty of libations handy.

post #19925 of 29226 Old 04-06-2016, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2088 Post(s)
Liked: 2056
Quote:

Life gives you lemons you make Margaritas!

I just finished up Daredevil and all I can say is this show is fantastic! Has enough blood, killings and action to satisfy most here!
stevew24963 likes this.
post #19926 of 29226 Old 04-06-2016, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2065
I need to get back to DD,On E6,and agree,it is an awesome series. I kinda fell behind on Jessica Jones,while it's not bad,how could a show based on an alcoholic,nymphomaniac superhero be all bad,I just moves a bit slow.After DD, I'll get back to it.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #19927 of 29226 Old 04-06-2016, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
I need to get back to DD,On E6,and agree,it is an awesome series. I kinda fell behind on Jessica Jones,while it's not bad,how could a show based on an alcoholic,nymphomaniac superhero be all bad,I just moves a bit slow.After DD, I'll get back to it.
I have the need to watch House of Cards as well. People told me that it is a really good show. I think though I am going to watch this season of TWD and then get into House of Cards. These days though there is a decent amount of shows to watch but little time to fit that in as well as movies.
post #19928 of 29226 Old 04-06-2016, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
I have the need to watch House of Cards as well. People told me that it is a really good show. I think though I am going to watch this season of TWD and then get into House of Cards. These days though there is a decent amount of shows to watch but little time to fit that in as well as movies.
Agreed,so much good stuff to watch but seems to be so little time.I can only watch the horror stuff when the wife isn't around,she hates most of it.I've got a huge backlog on the DVR plus movies in my Netflix and Vudu watchlist.And then there are the games I want to play,arghhh.I need to go back to work .
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #19929 of 29226 Old 04-06-2016, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Quote:

I oinked it last week after about 10 minutes.

But for you gear geeks "Jackrabbit" might be a hit as long as you can tolerate a more "artsy" Texas indie sci-fi dystopian movie. This future features a lot of 1980s computer gear, analog security cameras and not one tablet or smartphone (but there are cell towers apparently no longer operating). Four Lisa computers playing a B&W video game. Available on Netflix, has great cinematography and shows off how well NF can stream.

BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #19930 of 29226 Old 04-06-2016, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I oinked it last week after about 10 minutes.

But for you gear geeks "Jackrabbit" might be a hit as long as you can tolerate a more "artsy" Texas indie sci-fi dystopian movie. This future features a lot of 1980s computer gear, analog security cameras and not one tablet or smartphone (but there are cell towers apparently no longer operating). Four Lisa computers playing a B&W video game. Available on Netflix, has great cinematography and shows off how well NF can stream.

https://youtu.be/Bf9NlxfRw08

I will give that a go!

As for the BK Angry burger, it was pretty good and actually it looked like the burger on the commercial! For new fast food though, the Quesalupas are my favorite!
post #19931 of 29226 Old 04-06-2016, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked: 2458
Quote:
Little Dead Rotting Hood looks terrible. Added to my NF watch list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
I picked it up today. I ripped it to my server without any issues but when I tried to play the disc in my BD player it rebooted 4 times. I finally ejected the disc and turned the player off, then cleaned the dust off the touch controls on the top of the player with a damp rag. After that everything worked fine. Dust on the control pad seems to be a common problem with these Samsung BD players.
Quote:
As for the BK Angry burger, it was pretty good and actually it looked like the burger on the commercial! For new fast food though, the Quesalupas are my favorite!
I have to try that Angry burger. I tried a Quesalupa today. It was good but I like the regular Chalupa better.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #19932 of 29226 Old 04-07-2016, 03:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2047 Post(s)
Liked: 2883
Quote:
Agreed,so much good stuff to watch but seems to be so little time.I can only watch the horror stuff when the wife isn't around,she hates most of it.I've got a huge backlog on the DVR plus movies in my Netflix and Vudu watchlist.And then there are the games I want to play,arghhh.I need to go back to work .
Nooooooooo Work just makes the time situation worse.
stevew24963 likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #19933 of 29226 Old 04-07-2016, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2960 Post(s)
Liked: 4384
Star Wars: Ghost Dog!
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #19934 of 29226 Old 04-07-2016, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Star Wars: Ghost Dog!
I kinda thought it was Forrest W, but now thinking about it, and your quote, it was!
post #19935 of 29226 Old 04-07-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I will give that a go!

Had the north Atlantic cod sammy from Wendy's for lunch. And a small Frosty too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Little Dead Rotting Hood looks terrible. Added to my NF watch list.
I picked it up today. I ripped it to my server without any issues but when I tried to play the disc in my BD player it rebooted 4 times. I finally ejected the disc and turned the player off, then cleaned the dust off the touch controls on the top of the player with a damp rag. After that everything worked fine. Dust on the control pad seems to be a common problem with these Samsung BD players.

I have to try that Angry burger. I tried a Quesalupa today. It was good but I like the regular Chalupa better.
We need a 'lupa face off .
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #19936 of 29226 Old 04-07-2016, 10:27 AM

Watched The Force Awakens last night. Not sure if it was the disc or simply power cycling my player but it worked. Now I don't care what anybody says, I like this movie and the audio is fantastic.

post #19937 of 29226 Old 04-07-2016, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Had the north Atlantic cod sammy from Wendy's for lunch. And a small Frosty too.

I've had the cod sammy from Wendys a few times and find it most satisfying,headed out to Taco Bell now to test the Quesalupa.Results to follow.No angry Whopper here. Must be a regional thing.
post #19938 of 29226 Old 04-07-2016, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They are pretty much the same except for the shell. I couldn't tell there was any cheese in the shell of the Quesalupa I tried. IMHO the shell is the best part of a Chalupa, and they certainly didn't improve on it with the Quesalupa.

stevew24963 and BornSlippyZ like this.
post #19939 of 29226 Old 04-07-2016, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Watched The Force Awakens last night. Not sure if it was the disc or simply power cycling my player but it worked. Now I don't care what anybody says, I like this movie and the audio is fantastic.
The audio was pretty good even on my ProLogic system. There were a few times when the bass started rattling the glass lampshade on a lamp sitting on the end table next to me. The left rear surround speaker is near that lamp so I thought the rattle was part of the soundtrack. When I realized what was happening I screwed the lampshade down tight and the rattle stopped.
stevew24963 likes this.
post #19940 of 29226 Old 04-07-2016, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My old disc kept messing up between chp 5-6. I just got my new disc about an hour ago and it loaded up quicker and perfect play back thru chp 6. I didn't watch the whole movie but this disc looks perfect and played perfectly so I don't think there will be issues tomorrow when my family watches it.

I don't get the 'hate' for this film. I think people forget that Disney wanted this film to bridge the OG trilogy and really distancing itself from the prequels. JJ did that perfectly and in my opinion is more relatable to the OG trilogy.

Quote:
The audio was pretty good even on my ProLogic system. There were a few times when the bass started rattling the glass lampshade on a lamp sitting on the end table next to me. The left rear surround speaker is near that lamp so I thought the rattle was part of the soundtrack. When I realized what was happening I screwed the lampshade down tight and the rattle stopped.

The bass comes really low in parts and I really liked soundtrack as well!
post #19941 of 29226 Old 04-07-2016, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Speaking of audio, what do you guys think of the Pioneer VSX-524-K as a budget receiver? I can get it on a newegg flash sale for $130 after rebate. I don't need a lot of power. I just want to update my system with something that uses modern connections and audio formats.

http://flash.newegg.com/Product/86-983-005
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #19942 of 29226 Old 04-07-2016, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Speaking of audio, what do you guys think of the Pioneer VSX-524-K as a budget receiver? I can get it on a newegg flash sale for $130 after rebate. I don't need a lot of power. I just want to update my system with something that uses modern connections and audio formats.

Looks good to me and $130 is a steal!
Ken.F likes this.
post #19943 of 29226 Old 04-07-2016, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh, those are back? I'll have to check in my area. I actually liked Jack's better but the Wendy's sandwich is fairly good. We had a restaurant I went to downtown that served a calamari steak sandwich and the piece of calamari was almost as big as the plate. Now, a Chinese place up the hill serves a good Kung Pao Calamari I go for sometimes. Friends are supposedly arriving next and they like check out the local places for dining.

I got some Google Cardboard VR glasses. Just ordered a pair from another place that I can use with my computer for about $4. I'm thinking about making some games for the VR fad going on but didn't want to waste time downloading to my phone all the time or mess my eyes up looking at the computer screen cross-eyed. Old technology (used to have a stereoscope from the late 1800s) repacked as VR because you can use the mobile device sensor to control direction.
post #19944 of 29226 Old 04-07-2016, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wish there was Jack n the Box here in MN. It would actually do well here me thinks.
post #19945 of 29226 Old 04-07-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I've had the cod sammy from Wendys a few times and find it most satisfying,headed out to Taco Bell now to test the Quesalupa.Results to follow.No angry Whopper here. Must be a regional thing.
I like the angry Whopper a lot more than the other Whopper they did with A1 steak sauce in the bun. Don't recall what they called it.

Quote:
They are pretty much the same except for the shell. I couldn't tell there was any cheese in the shell of the Quesalupa I tried. IMHO the shell is the best part of a Chalupa, and they certainly didn't improve on it with the Quesalupa.

Spoiler!
Didn't realize they are so similar. May have to run to border for a couple o' lupas for dinner. Live mas.

Quote:
Lol. It's always the lampshade. The bass in TFA is great. Nice and tight. That's what she said.

Quote:
My old disc kept messing up between chp 5-6. I just got my new disc about an hour ago and it loaded up quicker and perfect play back thru chp 6. I didn't watch the whole movie but this disc looks perfect and played perfectly so I don't think there will be issues tomorrow when my family watches it.

I don't get the 'hate' for this film. I think people forget that Disney wanted this film to bridge the OG trilogy and really distancing itself from the prequels. JJ did that perfectly and in my opinion is more relatable to the OG trilogy.

Good to hear your replacement disc came so quick. Lol. Was it delivered by a drone?

I don't understand the hate for it either. I thought JJ did a fine job and I'll admit, I'm a sucka for seeing the original cast on screen.

Quote:

For $130 and Atmos you really can't go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Oh, those are back? I'll have to check in my area. I actually liked Jack's better but the Wendy's sandwich is fairly good. We had a restaurant I went to downtown that served a calamari steak sandwich and the piece of calamari was almost as big as the plate. Now, a Chinese place up the hill serves a good Kung Pao Calamari I go for sometimes. Friends are supposedly arriving next and they like check out the local places for dining.

I got some Google Cardboard VR glasses. Just ordered a pair from another place that I can use with my computer for about $4. I'm thinking about making some games for the VR fad going on but didn't want to waste time downloading to my phone all the time or mess my eyes up looking at the computer screen cross-eyed. Old technology (used to have a stereoscope from the late 1800s) repacked as VR because you can use the mobile device sensor to control direction.
Loves me some kung pao. Sounds like you're going full Lawnmower Man.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #19946 of 29226 Old 04-07-2016, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Kinda shows what's happens when one cuts the cable and doesn't even see commercials on Hulu. I recall that Jack had ads all the time on Hulu and I think Crackle as well (haven't checked it in months). Dailymotion has ads but often just one at the start of a show but they target and sometimes it's a local area business. Once saw an ad there for Walgreen's and it showed the address of the one nearest to me. Freaky!!!

I may have to hit one of those cod sandwiches but I can make my own at home too. I use Trader Joe's cod for that. I'm also not fast oxidizer enough to eat that way much but I can as an occasional treat.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #19947 of 29226 Old 04-07-2016, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 813
I did The Final Girls last night. I thought this got some traction a month or two ago here. Really good cast for this. Pretty well done. I think my wife would have liked it since there was not much pain and agony.

Still need to test my SW7 disc. We saw this at Disneyland but the audio was very poor in the theater. Hoping the home version has more bass and surround activity.

RS600, 133" 2.8 HP Screen, Panasonic UB-900
Marantz, 7702MKII, Emotiva XPA-1, XPA-2, XPA-100's
7.2.4 with 4pi JBL LCR's, Athena 100 surrounds and 4x Volt 10lx ceiling speakers.
4x FI 18" IB subwoofage with Behringer EP400 amp
Fabric walls, fabric posters, fabric under soffets. No reflections!!
post #19948 of 29226 Old 04-07-2016, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hate is a time suck, people who hate have too much time on their hands and time to post about it. People who work their a_____ss off and find their other time being limited start avoiding time sucking things. Those of you with jobs and kids very much understand the time/lack of it idea.
stevew24963 and BornSlippyZ like this.

post #19949 of 29226 Old 04-07-2016, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Not lupa, LUCHA! Lucha Libre. Or 'Lucha Underground' if you have access to the El Rey channel.

post #19950 of 29226 Old 04-07-2016, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For $130 and Atmos you really can't go wrong.
It does have the Atmos logo on the Pioneer product page but I don't think it's Atmos capable. I might get it anyway. I'll decide after I figure out my taxes this weekend. I always owe, it's just a matter of how much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page