October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 926 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22691Likes

post #27751 of 31529 Old 11-04-2018, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3290 Post(s)
Liked: 5426
Screw it. Denzel Washington as Kolchak. Each episode is 95 minutes. There are 8 episodes only. It's an HBO series. Bear McCreary does the score.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BornSlippyZ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27752 of 31529 Old 11-04-2018, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked: 4400
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Well DC is better than Marvel so there's that. Sidenote I think Keanu Reeves Constantine is underrated.

Agreed. I own a copy.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #27753 of 31529 Old 11-04-2018, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Screw it. Denzel Washington as Kolchak. Each episode is 95 minutes. There are 8 episodes only. It's an HBO series. Bear McCreary does the score.

I'd watch.
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27754 of 31529 Old 11-04-2018, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 2303
[QUOTE= @Ken.F ;57044482]Happy Halloween!

My last two movies for the month were The Crazies (1973) & The Crazies (2010).

Contaminated water supply causes the townsfolk to go crazy. Both versions are good but I like the original just a little more.

@Ken.F I followed your lead.
The Crazies (1973) 7/10 Prime video
The Crazies (2010) 8/10 Blu-ray

The Crazies 1973 was action packed non - stop . I get where Romero was going. He never took his foot off the accelerator. The military drum cadence music was hilarious every time George A. Romero cut to scene's of the Big wig's of government power. The blood was a little on (pastel side). Over all I like it . That being said. I give the edge to The Crazies 2010. It was slower pace but had better character and story development . I found the actual (Crazies) to be a lot more menacing in the remake . And the ending of the 2010 film packed a punch . There were both worthy of my money and time . Thanks for the idea.

BornSlippyZ, Ken.F and The Mice like this.

Last edited by RobKnapp; 11-04-2018 at 08:25 PM.
post #27755 of 31529 Old 11-04-2018, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=RobKnapp;57062756]
Quote:
Originally Posted by @[B
Ken.F[/B] ;57044482]Happy Halloween!

My last two movies for the month were The Crazies (1973) & The Crazies (2010).

Contaminated water supply causes the townsfolk to go crazy. Both versions are good but I like the original just a little more.

@Ken.F I followed your lead.
The Crazies (1973) 7/10 Prime video
The Crazies (2010) 8/10 Blu-ray

The Crazies 1973 was action packed non - stop . I get where Romero was going. He never took his foot off the accelerator. The military drum cadence music was hilarious every time George A. Romero cut to scene's of the Big wig's of government power. The blood was a little on (pastel side). Over all I like it . That being said. I give the edge to The Crazies 2010. It was slower pace but had better character and story development . I found the actual (Crazies) to be a lot more menacing in the remake . And the ending of the 2010 film packed a punch . There were both worthy of my money and time . Thanks for the idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyHyp7hmmsA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7w9uWFIMBs
Sometimes you just have to take out the politics and let the blood flow. Some people are obsessed with the message of a movie. Sometimes the only message needs to be is "They are going to kill you so run ____ ____ ____ and keep running.

post #27756 of 31529 Old 11-05-2018, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Liked: 2331
Sunday night was pretty much packed with non-horror TV series except for catching the second episode of "Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" which is well done and not purely targeting a teen audience. After that some of "Not Quite Hollywood" on Tubi about the Australian exploitation scene of the 1960s-70s.
tenthplanet likes this.
post #27757 of 31529 Old 11-05-2018, 05:31 PM

Equalizer 2. Denzel equalizes errrrrrthang. They do this thing with an incoming storm and it is amazing.

tenthplanet and BornSlippyZ like this.
post #27758 of 31529 Old 11-05-2018, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Maybe David Koechner?
Naw, wrong temperament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Matt Ryan sometimes known as Constantine.
Can't say I'm familiar enough with his work to offer an opinion. Seems kind of young, though.

Quote:
Interesting.

Could I float Richard Jenkins or JK Simmons?
Jenkins is a little too subdued. Simmons could work.

Quote:
No, just no. Also big no ways: Johnny Depp, Samuel L. Jackson, and Will Ferrell.

Here're two other possibilities: Bryan Cranston or Karl Urban.

post #27759 of 31529 Old 11-05-2018, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Denzel could definitely come from a point of a skeptic, sort of the anti-Mulder. He doesn't want to believe, till it confronts him. Plus, Denzel can bring some authentic humor when need be.
darthrsg and RobKnapp like this.

post #27760 of 31529 Old 11-05-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post
Naw, wrong temperament.

Can't say I'm familiar enough with his work to offer an opinion. Seems kind of young, though.

Jenkins is a little too subdued. Simmons could work.

No, just no. Also big no ways: Johnny Depp, Samuel L. Jackson, and Will Ferrell.

Here're two other possibilities: Bryan Cranston or Karl Urban.
No. Instead of Kolchak I'd take 8 more Equalizers with Denzel.

post #27761 of 31529 Old 11-05-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Denzel could definitely come from a point of a skeptic, sort of the anti-Mulder. He doesn't want to believe, till it confronts him. Plus, Denzel can bring some authentic humor when need be.
I can die on the hill of Denzel being the best actor.

ApolloCreed and tenthplanet like this.
post #27762 of 31529 Old 11-05-2018, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

I kept reading about members of this thread talking about Eli Roth and the AMC s Eli Roth's History of Horror. I have not seen any of his films . I decided to check out ' Cabin Fever ' . I know I am probably the only person in this thread to not see it as I always thought I look like garbage . But since I started following this thread I have expanded my Horror repertoire. I was right 'Cabin Fever' was garbage . Well not so fast . I was bored with the lame acting and was suffering the Net as I watched . But about 2/3rd through the film . Eli Roth really stared ti ramp up the entire film by like 100% . He introduced a black sheep deputy sheriff who was hilarious. Spoiler but not to bad . At one point the deputy sheriff gets a call from the 'Sheriff' asking if he had found the crazy party in the woods at this point the deputy sheriff had found the crazy party and was in full participation drinking beer and smoking weed instead of busting up the party. Funny as hell. That when I shut off my PC and was engaged . Then 'Cabin Fever' went from a crap film to a blood bath of gore and black comedy . The red necks out for revenge was great. The weird kid that bites " Pancake's pancake's what a trip. The infection that ramps up and spreads killing in glorious blood soaking vomit splashing gore fest . Bottom line the film did a 180 and it turn out to be very satisfying. And the bluegrass music at the end of film was the cherry on top. I want more like this film a gushing blood vomit fest .
First hour 2/10 Last 32 minutes 10/10

Netflix 'Cabin Fever'

'Cabin Fever' 8/10 I ordered it on Blu-ray for my collection.
(Spoilers) in video. My favorite part of 'Cabin Fever' time stamp in video 1:57 seconds Epic and funny.
ApolloCreed and tenthplanet like this.

Last edited by RobKnapp; 11-06-2018 at 02:12 AM.
post #27763 of 31529 Old 11-06-2018, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKnapp View Post
I kept reading about members of this thread talking about Eli Roth and the AMC s Eli Roth's History of Horror.
Forgetting his movies, this show, History of Horror on AMC is absolutely fantastic. So many great clips from a ton of horror movies, I have watched 4 of them now and enjoy them as much as the movies themselves. I have saved 2, 3, and 4 on my dvr to watch again, and I hope they will show the first show again so I can record and save that one too. I am enjoying this show immensely.

never take life seriously
post #27764 of 31529 Old 11-06-2018, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
Forgetting his movies, this show, History of Horror on AMC is absolutely fantastic. So many great clips from a ton of horror movies, I have watched 4 of them now and enjoy them as much as the movies themselves. I have saved 2, 3, and 4 on my dvr to watch again, and I hope they will show the first show again so I can record and save that one too. I am enjoying this show immensely.
Yes I watched the 'Slasher' part #1 & # 2. Very well done . Its may sound 'ridiculous' but my dilemma with the show is that there are many films I have not seen . So as much as I want to finish the series I also do not want to run into all the 'Spoilers' that go along with finishing up the program . I stopped watching for the moment . I will have to catch up thru 'On demand viewing' . But yes It is an excellent documentary I feel a little torn as I really want to finish all the episodes.
tenthplanet likes this.
post #27765 of 31529 Old 11-06-2018, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes I watched the 'Slasher' part #1 & # 2. Very well done . Its may sound 'ridiculous' but my dilemma with the show is that there are many films I have not seen . So as much as I want to finish the series I also do not want to run into all the 'Spoilers' that go along with finishing up the program . I stopped watching for the moment . I will have to catch up thru 'On demand viewing' . But yes It is an excellent documentary I feel a little torn as I really want to finish all the episodes.
Use this after watching the series THO swears by it for clearing the mind.
RobKnapp likes this.

post #27766 of 31529 Old 11-06-2018, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Now that we are approaching the holidays (The ones after Halloween )..A message on computer safety from everyone's favorite lord...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i-find-your-lack-of-encryption-disturbing.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	2478856  
BornSlippyZ likes this.

post #27767 of 31529 Old 11-07-2018, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Last night I watched "Blood, Boobs and Beasts" on Tubi which is a documentary about cult filmmaker Don Dohler who either you've never heard of or were a fan of back in the day. It's a very interesting documentary on how someone found success making bad movies for video.

What happens when folks want to watch something other than election returns.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	netflixfail.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	2479116  
post #27768 of 31529 Old 11-07-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Last night I watched "Blood, Boobs and Beasts" on Tubi which is a documentary about cult filmmaker Don Dohler who either you've never heard of or were a fan of back in the day. It's a very interesting documentary on how someone found success making bad movies for video.
https://youtu.be/cZSrdCrJvlw

There was an election?

RobKnapp likes this.
post #27769 of 31529 Old 11-07-2018, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2389 Post(s)
Liked: 2786
Quote:
There was an election?
There must have been. The ads stopped.
RobKnapp likes this.
post #27770 of 31529 Old 11-07-2018, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
I saw the 2018 "Suspiria" today and was highly impressed, a little puzzled, but mostly enthralled. It's ambitious, outrageous, but hard to take your eyes off of. There are no jump scares but lots of creepy atmosphere and scenes that will be burned into your retinas.

While it's not fair to call this a remake, it is essentially the same plot of the original, but it has more narrative drive (and dare I say logic) than the original. For example, in the original we never find out why witches would use a dance academy as a cover, but in this one it becomes obvious that they are involving the girls in ritual dances from which they can draw power. It doesn't seek to imitate the 1977 original visually (how could you?) but it does have a striking appearance of its own.

There's also much more story around the psychologist and he has a back story that weighs heavily on his decisions. There's a bit of story around 70's German underground rebellion politics that I never really understood the purpose of--it just kept taking me out of the insular world of the academy that was so well created.

The movie is full of juxtaposition: highly watchable but demanding of patience, beautiful yet ugly, potentially pretentious but boldly artistic and respecting of the audience. If you like witch movies (which I do), you absolutely need to see this one. If you want something standard that plays it safe, you should probably skip this one. I can't really sum up this movie better than this review I read on Impulse Gamer:

"This reviewer is still in utter shock and awe over this film. It is unfathomable as it is uncompromising; it is ambitious as it is audacious; it is overwrought as it is darkly amusing, and it is gory as it is expressionistic. It could throw you into the entire gamut of emotions on a massive scale or it could leave you scaling up the cinema steps due to sheer boredom. Either way, there really isn’t a remake like this out there. For that alone, Suspiria is to be applauded."

4 out of 5 stars.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #27771 of 31529 Old 11-07-2018, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There was an election?

Oh there was....Not quite real life horror....BUT... my favorite craft beer bar had a get your second beer for one cent just show your "I voted sticker" promotion. I knew nothing of this and wandered in late on Tuesday night. Tuesday is usually brewery night, new beers get introduced. The amount of people in the place was at/or exceeding the crowd when the Rams and the Dodgers were playing on the same day. The bartenders were a little crazed, they told me that I had come to the slowdown of the night . Earlier on, they said they had two lines going out the door and down the sidewalk. So people voted and they can drink a lot of beer. (And yes they ran out of a few different brews. )

post #27772 of 31529 Old 11-07-2018, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
https://youtu.be/cZSrdCrJvlw

It's all of those damn live tv internet streamers sucking up all the bandwidth of the internet and you know they are front for "The Illuminati". It's a conspiracy I tell ya.
THO: "Rant much ? Anger issues?"
Tenth: "No, why would you say that "

post #27773 of 31529 Old 11-07-2018, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I keep hearing good things about Overlord, which opens Friday...anyone thinking of seeing this one theatrically? Looks like pretty standard action-horror but the reviews have been consistently strong.
tenthplanet likes this.

post #27774 of 31529 Old 11-07-2018, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
I saw the 2018 "Suspiria" today and was highly impressed, a little puzzled, but mostly enthralled. It's ambitious, outrageous, but hard to take your eyes off of. There are no jump scares but lots of creepy atmosphere and scenes that will be burned into your retinas.

While it's not fair to call this a remake, it is essentially the same plot of the original, but it has more narrative drive (and dare I say logic) than the original. For example, in the original we never find out why witches would use a dance academy as a cover, but in this one it becomes obvious that they are involving the girls in ritual dances from which they can draw power. It doesn't seek to imitate the 1977 original visually (how could you?) but it does have a striking appearance of its own.

There's also much more story around the psychologist and he has a back story that weighs heavily on his decisions. There's a bit of story around 70's German underground rebellion politics that I never really understood the purpose of--it just kept taking me out of the insular world of the academy that was so well created.

The movie is full of juxtaposition: highly watchable but demanding of patience, beautiful yet ugly, potentially pretentious but boldly artistic and respecting of the audience. If you like witch movies (which I do), you absolutely need to see this one. If you want something standard that plays it safe, you should probably skip this one. I can't really sum up this movie better than this review I read on Impulse Gamer:

"This reviewer is still in utter shock and awe over this film. It is unfathomable as it is uncompromising; it is ambitious as it is audacious; it is overwrought as it is darkly amusing, and it is gory as it is expressionistic. It could throw you into the entire gamut of emotions on a massive scale or it could leave you scaling up the cinema steps due to sheer boredom. Either way, there really isn’t a remake like this out there. For that alone, Suspiria is to be applauded."

4 out of 5 stars.

I have worked 7 days straight trying to catch up from October and also want to beat any major snow storms. My body is beat up I need to heal for a day . I want to see Suspiria on Thursday . It is not F-ing playing in my city .
Colorado Springs is the second most populous city in Colorado, after Denver, and the 41st most populous city in the country with an estimated 2014 population of 674,000. Colorado Springs has an estimated population of 674,000, but the city proper is home to slightly less: 435,000.Jun 3, 2018.
Unbelievable

Last edited by RobKnapp; 11-07-2018 at 11:17 PM.
post #27775 of 31529 Old 11-07-2018, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Since I have not been able to see Suspiria 2018 I guess i will settle for more crap B Horror that I am actually starting to like.

NIGHT OF THE DEMONS (1988) 6/10 -Prime video

Fun-loving teens dabble with the occult on a Halloween night and find themselves facing down a flock of evil demons in this horror outing.

Instead of going with just another spooky house/slasher mash-up approach, Kevin Tenney made a film that's fun, tawdry, freaky , and atmospheric with just the right amount of camp and T&A peppered in.T&A were the best part as the film 'proper' needed a serious boost . Yet this film had some charm through many of the characters 'over acting' . It kinda worked !!

Vision: Man Cave: Sony XBR-65" Z9D HDR 3-D | Bedroom: Sony KDL- 65" W850A 3-D |
Sound: Denon AVR-X4500H | Front:Klipsch Epic CF-4 | Rear:Klipsch Epic CF-2 | Center:Klipsch KV-4 SuB: Klipsch KSW-15
Smarts: Sony UBP-X700 4K 3-D Player Dolby Vision | AppleTV-4K | PS4 | PS3 | XBOX 360 | Wii | Monster Power HTS3600 MKII surge protector Clean Power Stage 3
post #27776 of 31529 Old 11-07-2018, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 583
After that most excellent October, I have since slowed down on movies in general but did see Hunter Killer at the theater yesterday and it was quite excellent I thought. Not a horror movie but it was a film where the tension continued to build as it went along.

Tonight, however, on the recommendation of someone at work, I did watch a science fiction horror film called Annihilation which came out earlier this year and stars Natalie Portman. I will say it was okay overall and certainly an interesting movie. It was pretty good in the first half but started to lose momentum after that until about the final 20 minutes prior to the credits. There it became somewhat freaky. I wouldn't say this is a horror movie in the traditional sense (depending on your point of view), but it's more about the horror of their situation. The science fiction aspect is the most predominant. For me, this is likely to be a one-time watch but I didn't mind it.
post #27777 of 31529 Old 11-07-2018, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mice View Post
After that most excellent October, I have since slowed down on movies in general but did see Hunter Killer at the theater yesterday and it was quite excellent I thought. Not a horror movie but it was a film where the tension continued to build as it went along.

Tonight, however, on the recommendation of someone at work, I did watch a science fiction horror film called Annihilation which came out earlier this year and stars Natalie Portman. I will say it was okay overall and certainly an interesting movie. It was pretty good in the first half but started to lose momentum after that until about the final 20 minutes prior to the credits. There it became somewhat freaky. I wouldn't say this is a horror movie in the traditional sense (depending on your point of view), but it's more about the horror of their situation. The science fiction aspect is the most predominant. For me, this is likely to be a one-time watch but I didn't mind it.
This was my Rotten Tomatoes shot but sweet review. I will say the the science of the film had me scratching my head . I had to go to YouTube an search Annihilation Ending Explained . Annihilation makes you think.

Annihilation backs up its sci-fi visual wonders and visceral genre thrills with an impressively ambitious - and surprisingly strange - exploration of challenging themes that should leave audiences pondering long after the end credits roll.
post #27778 of 31529 Old 11-07-2018, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
I keep hearing good things about Overlord, which opens Friday...anyone thinking of seeing this one theatrically? Looks like pretty standard action-horror but the reviews have been consistently strong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USPd0vX2sdc
This is one that J.J. Abrams was keeping under wraps, then the rumors started that was part of "Cloverfield", then.... I'll see it next week, I never trust trailers or reviews. Most of the reviews have been from websites and trailers are advertising. What has been leaked about the movie, is intriguing.

post #27779 of 31529 Old 11-07-2018, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Colorado Springs is the second most populous city in Colorado, after Denver, and the 41st most populous city in the country with an estimated 2014 population of 674,000. Colorado Springs has an estimated population of 674,000, but the city proper is home to slightly less: 435,000.Jun 3, 2018.
I visited my friend in Colorado Springs last summer, he lives below that NORAD base near Cheyenne Mountain. Beautiful country out there, we went to the zoo and the Will Rogers Shrine of the Sun.

post #27780 of 31529 Old 11-08-2018, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's all of those damn live tv internet streamers sucking up all the bandwidth of the internet and you know they are front for "The Illuminati". It's a conspiracy I tell ya.
THO: "Rant much ? Anger issues?"
Tenth: "No, why would you say that "
That occurred trying to watch an episode of "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" on Netflix which is 4K. I watched episode 5 last night which was more of a "concept" episode. This is an exceptional series and being an Archie comics series has the humor you don't find with Marvel or DC.

This was also the first time I posted an image and wow what a bunch of Base64 code for the image was included in the email notice sent.

I should have switched the phone cam to manual exposure and shut it down a notch or two so the text wouldn't bloom. Not used to using the phone cam that much. I had that interruption about 4 times trying to watch the episode. No, I don't follow their instructions.
tenthplanet and BornSlippyZ like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page