October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 964 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17483Likes

post #28891 of 29111 Old 06-06-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2941 Post(s)
Liked: 4340
Chernobyl makes you need a shower after watching it. I still need to see that last episode but what a ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28892 of 29111 Old 06-06-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1912 Post(s)
Liked: 589
How is the bass on Chernobyl?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Samsung PN F8500 60'' TV, Denon AVR X4200W, Onkyo TX SR805, Parasound HCA 1500A, SVS Prime Towers and Center, SVS Prime satellites, Proficient Surrounds, Duo Kreisel DXD subs, PSA S3000i sub, Oppo 103D player, Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTR 3600
post #28893 of 29111 Old 06-06-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
Agreed. We just started watching this last night and got two episodes in. This is as scary as any horror movie I have seen. The music is so creepy and the whole thing has a building sense of dread and hopelessness. Really great acting, sets, all of it looks amazing so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
How is the bass on Chernobyl?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
I wish I knew! We just moved to a new house and I don't have anything but my TV and Nvidia Shield setup at the moment. I'm using the TV speakers! Now that's a horror show!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28894 of 29111 Old 06-06-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2310 Post(s)
Liked: 1791
Last night was a binge night. I watched just the first episode of season 3 of "The Handmaid's Tale" which was excellent and then all three of the season 5 episodes of "Black Mirror". Some great tech satire in the BM episodes. I can't remember but I don't think they've done an episode on the effects of binging. Maybe that's off the table.
tenthplanet and RobKnapp like this.
post #28895 of 29111 Old 06-06-2019, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 2834
The Devil gets his due
https://deadline.com/2019/06/lucifer...ix-1202628454/
‘Lucifer’ Renewed For Fifth & Final Season By Netflix

Meanwhile in another universe (the DC one)
https://deadline.com/2019/06/swamp-t...on-1202628103/
‘Swamp Thing’ Canceled By DC Universe After 1 Season

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #28896 of 29111 Old 06-06-2019, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Last night was a binge night. I watched just the first episode of season 3 of "The Handmaid's Tale" which was excellent and then all three of the season 5 episodes of "Black Mirror". Some great tech satire in the BM episodes. I can't remember but I don't think they've done an episode on the effects of binging. Maybe that's off the table.
There is an unwritten rule that if the 90's version of The Outer Limits didn't cover a topic, you can't have Black Mirror satirize it.

post #28897 of 29111 Old 06-06-2019, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23 View Post
It's honestly pretty low in the MCU in most people's opinions that I've seen. I've gotten enjoyment out all the MCU movies, but Captain Marvel is not prime IMO.

Here are my favorite MCU movies in order and with tiers applied.

**Top:**

Thor: Ragnarok
Avengers: Infinity War
The Avengers
Avengers: Endgame
Captain America: Civil War
Iron Man
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Black Panther
Captain America: The First Avenger
Ant-Man

**Mid:**

Spider-Man: Homecoming
Doctor Strange
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Thor
Captain Marvel
Ant-Man and the Wasp

**Bottom:**

Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk
Thor: The Dark World
Iron Man 3
Thanks, will check them out once I get the chance.

By the way, recently watched The Grapes of Wrath (1940) and Apollo 11. I read The Grapes of Wrath in school back in the late 90s. I am pretty sure we watched the movie in class after reading the book but don't remember any of it. Just to refresh myself on the story, I watched the movie again and really enjoyed it. I read that they changed the ending in the movie compared to the book but the rest of the story is the same/similar. As for Apollo 11, I really liked this one as well. Already seen First Man but this was different. It was awesome to see real footage of it all. Plus, the launch scene sounded awesome!

Might re-watch Us tomorrow.
tenthplanet and Ben23 like this.
post #28898 of 29111 Old 06-07-2019, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 759
I would love to see Chernobyl, but I dont get HBO. I totally hate how everything nowadays is split up. I have cable, which I love, I get hundreds of channels, great for all my varied sports and science and scifi shows, plus i get Netflix too, but thats it.

But while that should be enough its not, for nowadays this show is only on HBO, that show is only on Showtime, this show is on Amazon Prime only, and so on and so forth. I hate this.
Brian Conrad, asere and RobKnapp like this.

never take life seriously
post #28899 of 29111 Old 06-07-2019, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
I would love to see Chernobyl, but I dont get HBO. I totally hate how everything nowadays is split up. I have cable, which I love, I get hundreds of channels, great for all my varied sports and science and scifi shows, plus i get Netflix too, but thats it.

But while that should be enough its not, for nowadays this show is only on HBO, that show is only on Showtime, this show is on Amazon Prime only, and so on and so forth. I hate this.
Yeah, I haven't had cable for almost a decade. Where there is a will there is a way and that's all I will say about that.
post #28900 of 29111 Old 06-07-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Amazon will let you buy the episodes I believe, or bare minimum subscribe for month then binge them out.
Brian Conrad likes this.
post #28901 of 29111 Old 06-07-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Amazon will let you buy the episodes I believe, or bare minimum subscribe for month then binge them out.
I was going to mention that too. Unfortunately it's always "buy" not "rent" episodes. I guess if you want to watch it over and over again that's OK. I bought series before and will need to buy this year's "American Horror Story" since it is good "31 Days" fare. I will be renting the "Deadwood" movie. I'll see how much they want for "Chernobyl".

"Boar" on Shudder should make good fodder for Joe Bob. He can have fun explaining why gave in 2 stars. This Aussie film puts John Jarratt in a kinda, gentler role than he has in "Wolf Creek". Why Joe Bob might have fun with it is that it's like one of those campaway films with a giant boar as the villain instead of serial killer. What's a bore about it is that it's like they mapped out their death scenes then filled between with dialog that doesn't necessarily advance the storyline.

Not a movie but an NBC summer series is "The InBetween". I'll check out episode 2 to see if it's gets better. NBC is touting it for "fans of Manifest". It seems to be a UK/Canadian police procedural with a twist of an assisting psychic who has flashes of crime scenes. I have for years enjoyed some of these kinds of series which 15 years ago would run late Sunday nights on PBS (after Masterpiece). What is funny about this series is it seems to be struggling between a UK style production and and US one. More closeup for example and close up audio. Sometimes I think that even 32" LED owners might like a more UK style presentation. Too much TV run by focus groups. More so the lead actress has trouble doing a US accent yet they leave the more familiar Paul Blackthorne remain British.
RobKnapp likes this.
post #28902 of 29111 Old 06-07-2019, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I was going to mention that too. Unfortunately it's always "buy" not "rent" episodes. I guess if you want to watch it over and over again that's OK. I bought series before and will need to buy this year's "American Horror Story" since it is good "31 Days" fare. I will be renting the "Deadwood" movie. I'll see how much they want for "Chernobyl".

"Boar" on Shudder should make good fodder for Joe Bob. He can have fun explaining why gave in 2 stars. This Aussie film puts John Jarratt in a kinda, gentler role than he has in "Wolf Creek". Why Joe Bob might have fun with it is that it's like one of those campaway films with a giant boar as the villain instead of serial killer. What's a bore about it is that it's like they mapped out their death scenes then filled between with dialog that doesn't necessarily advance the storyline.

Not a movie but an NBC summer series is "The InBetween". I'll check out episode 2 to see if it's gets better. NBC is touting it for "fans of Manifest". It seems to be a UK/Canadian police procedural with a twist of an assisting psychic who has flashes of crime scenes. I have for years enjoyed some of these kinds of series which 15 years ago would run late Sunday nights on PBS (after Masterpiece). What is funny about this series is it seems to be struggling between a UK style production and and US one. More closeup for example and close up audio. Sometimes I think that even 32" LED owners might like a more UK style presentation. Too much TV run by focus groups. More so the lead actress has trouble doing a US accent yet they leave the more familiar Paul Blackthorne remain British.
Her accent isn't that weird, there are lots of Americans who have strange accents to the point that some could be mistaken for Canadian, parts of Colorado sound almost like Calgary. Blackthorne spent years on Arrow as a cop, sounding American so it makes sense that they wouldn't have him do that again. They are trying really hard in this series to not have it compared to Medium.

post #28903 of 29111 Old 06-07-2019, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKnapp View Post
Chernobyl

This mini series is going to win every single award it is nominated for. At least I would like it to The acting, the direction, the writing, the cinematography, the music, the editing (I could go on and on) were all phenomenal. But what is truly amazing is how relevant this show is to today. The cost of lies. I've never seen anything like it. And I probably won't see something like this again in my lifetime. I know this term is thrown around a lot, but this mini series is truly extraordinary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
Agreed. We just started watching this last night and got two episodes in. This is as scary as any horror movie I have seen. The music is so creepy and the whole thing has a building sense of dread and hopelessness. Really great acting, sets, all of it looks amazing so far.
You cats are right on the money with this. Spectacular all the way around with an extra special nod to the ominous soundtrack.
dropzone7 and RobKnapp like this.

OG October Horrorfest Contributor
post #28904 of 29111 Old 06-08-2019, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Brightburn (2019) Theater Showing

Really good flick! Not quite perfect, but they did a great job with this premise and made the new Brightburn character someone to look out for in the future. Hopefully we see more of this character as well as others they set up at the end of it. Not exactly scary as much as it is unsettling and disturbing at times, but there were a couple of moments when I was getting a freaked out, and that’s hard to do with movies these days. Brightburn marks the beginning of superhero/anti-hero horror, and I hope there’s more of this to come. Worth seeing.

Spoiler!
tenthplanet likes this.

Vision: Man Cave: XBR-65" Sony Z9D HDR 3-D Bedroom: Sony KDL- 65" W850A 3-D
Sound: Denon AVR-X4500H Front: Klipsch Epic CF-4 Rear: Klipsch Epic CF-2 Center: Klipsch KV-4 SuB: Klipsch KSW-15
Smarts: Sony UBP-X700 4K 3-D Player Dolby Vision, AppleTV-4K , PS4 , PS3 , XBOX 360 , Wii , Monster Power HTS3600 MKII
post #28905 of 29111 Old 06-08-2019, 12:00 PM

Good Omens on BezosNet is solid.
tenthplanet likes this.
post #28906 of 29111 Old 06-08-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Her accent isn't that weird, there are lots of Americans who have strange accents to the point that some could be mistaken for Canadian, parts of Colorado sound almost like Calgary. Blackthorne spent years on Arrow as a cop, sounding American so it makes sense that they wouldn't have him do that again. They are trying really hard in this series to not have it compared to Medium.
It's not a Canadian accent, more like Irish when it slips. IMDB doesn't have much on her. Doesn't bother me, after all I once had a Scottish girlfriend.

But the second episode was much better, more energy. Still could back off of close-ups a bit though those might have been done in post because they looked softer almost what you get with P&S'd of scope movies.

Last night's double feature was "They Came Knocking" on Hulu, their "Into the Dark" for the month and "I AM MOTHER" on Netflix.

BTW, the $2.99 price for the Deadwood movie on Amazon was probably a glitch as it was for the trailer!
RobKnapp likes this.
post #28907 of 29111 Old 06-08-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Yesterday I re-watched Us. Still liked it. However, after I initially watched Us in the theater, I thought it was better than Get Out. However, now I think the opposite it is true (at least for me).

Today, I just got done watching Identity (2003). It was my first re-watch of the movie after first seeing in the theater back in 2003. Awesome stuff.
tenthplanet and Ben23 like this.
post #28908 of 29111 Old 06-09-2019, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 753
I Am Mother (2019) Netflix Original

Fans of Ex Machina and other cerebral sci-fi movies will find another favorite here. The lead actress Clara Rugaard makes a stunning debut and carries the film, with Hilary Swank in a supporting role. The film constantly has you changing allegiances, unsure of who to trust. The finale is super satisfying.

Vision: Man Cave: XBR-65" Sony Z9D HDR 3-D Bedroom: Sony KDL- 65" W850A 3-D
Sound: Denon AVR-X4500H Front: Klipsch Epic CF-4 Rear: Klipsch Epic CF-2 Center: Klipsch KV-4 SuB: Klipsch KSW-15
Smarts: Sony UBP-X700 4K 3-D Player Dolby Vision, AppleTV-4K , PS4 , PS3 , XBOX 360 , Wii , Monster Power HTS3600 MKII

Last edited by RobKnapp; 06-30-2019 at 06:11 PM.
post #28909 of 29111 Old 06-09-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Last night watched "Ghost Story" on Shudder a 1980s film starring Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Fred Astaire, Melvyn Douglas and John Houseman. What was it doing on Shudder? The screen play was by Larry Cohen. Well worth a watch.

Speak of Shudder, NPR was doing a story on a horror films this morning and finished up by mentioning Shudder and films available there.
ADU and tenthplanet like this.
post #28910 of 29111 Old 06-09-2019, 04:36 PM

Finished up Good Omens. Good stuff there. A delightful change of pace from Chernobyl.

Onto the Clash/Wrath of the Titans. I never understood the hate for these. They hold up, look great, and have that classic adventure feel like the greats Krull and Dragonslayer.

Another in that pile is Gods of Egypt, slightly cheesy but good entertainment. All a refreshing change of pace from cape movies. Hopefully the absence of GoT will drive some further adventure stuff.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
dropzone7 and tenthplanet like this.
post #28911 of 29111 Old 06-09-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Finished up Good Omens. Good stuff there. A delightful change of pace from Chernobyl.

Onto the Clash/Wrath of the Titans. I never understood the hate for these. They hold up, look great, and have that classic adventure feel like the greats Krull and Dragonslayer.

Another in that pile is Gods of Egypt, slightly cheesy but good entertainment. All a refreshing change of pace from cape movies. Hopefully the absence of GoT will drive some further adventure stuff.

Long before any of us were born people actually went to a theater to be entertained. Entertainment is a good thing.

post #28912 of 29111 Old 06-09-2019, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting list here..You all have seen a lot of these movies, but you might be surprised how many of them you own a disc of. I know I was.
https://www.thrillist.com/entertainm...bs-good-movies
50 Box-Office Bombs That Are Actually Great
RobKnapp likes this.

post #28913 of 29111 Old 06-10-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

My brother still talks about being terrified of the claymation Medusa in Clash of the Titans when we were kids. Loved that movie.
ADU, darthrsg and tenthplanet like this.
post #28914 of 29111 Old 06-10-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Interesting list here..You all have seen a lot of these movies, but you might be surprised how many of them you own a disc of. I know I was.
https://www.thrillist.com/entertainm...bs-good-movies
50 Box-Office Bombs That Are Actually Great
Oh, some of my faves are on that list!
-Big Trouble in Little China
-Blade Runner
-Grindhouse
-Showgirls
-Fight Club
tenthplanet and RobKnapp like this.
post #28915 of 29111 Old 06-11-2019, 01:50 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Agree with all the above. Love Dragonslayer! Love Krull! Love the "new" Clash/Wrath of the Titans with Sam Worthington!... So we are on the same page on these. With the possible exception of Krull, all the above should make my top 5 fantasy per decade list. I believe you can even watch the last two in fake 3D, if you want.
tenthplanet likes this.

ADU
post #28916 of 29111 Old 06-11-2019, 02:16 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

I do have somethin to contribute horror-wise today as well.

Watched the 1988 Pumpkinhead a few days ago. I wanted to get this on BD. But it was too expensive for somethin I'd probably only watch maybe once a year. It finally found its way onto a couple of the free w/ads streaming svcs though. So it's all good.

This is one of my favorite 80's creature features. The story is a little weak. But what it lacks in polish and originality, it more than makes up for in the way of creepy bone-gnawing atmosphere. And the makeup and practical effects by Stan Winston are simply awesome! If you like creature flicks, then this should be on your watch-list along with the other classics, like An American Werewolf in London, Alien, Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Thing, the original Wolf Man, and others.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 06-11-2019 at 02:33 AM.
post #28917 of 29111 Old 06-11-2019, 02:32 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Also watched the original 1958 "Quatermass and the Pit" British TV serial in it's entirety with Andre Morell as Quatermass.

The movie version is better in my opinion (though the SQ might be a little easier on the ears on the TV serial). But I think this would still hold most people's attention. And it must have packed quite a wallop when it originally aired, perhaps not unlike Orson Welles' 1938 "War of the Worlds" radio broadcast. Lots of creepy atmosphere in this as well. More details here.

Poster for the Hammer theatrical remake.
darthrsg, tenthplanet and RobKnapp like this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 06-12-2019 at 05:04 PM.
post #28918 of 29111 Old 06-13-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I signed up for Amazon Prime Video Only yesterday. As I reported elsewhere it was a little difficult to setup since they only were showing the full $12.99 monthly and $119 yearly option. So I went on chat and after about a half hour was able to set it up on another computer which when the order button is clicked shows the $8.99 video only option. I live in an area of big box stores including an Amazon store. Seldom need to order anything from Amazon so just paying shipping is cheaper. I'm just going binge then unsubscribe and sign up again when Amazon's version of "Utopia" plays.

I started watching "Good Omens" last night and will also catch up on the newest "Bosch" episodes. I had a free month last summer.

I also have been watching "Happy!" dark comedy, the Syfy series on Netflix. And the other night watched the Mexican movie "Here Comes the Devil" on Shudder. Mexico doesn't mess around.
RobKnapp likes this.
post #28919 of 29111 Old 06-13-2019, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6874 Post(s)
Liked: 15458
Sadly Syfy canceled Happy after S2. It's currently being shopped around.

post #28920 of 29111 Old 06-13-2019, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6874 Post(s)
Liked: 15458
Tra la la tra la la la...

Quote:
The beloved children's show is back... with a vengeance, a horrible, bloody vengeance. Starring Dani
Kind, Finlay Wojtak-Hissong, and Romeo Carere. Coming to Blu-Ray/DVD this Summer and
premiering on SYFY later this year.

Brian Conrad, Ken.F and ian#77 like this.

Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page