October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 966 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17946Likes

post #28951 of 29467 Old 06-22-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2995 Post(s)
Liked: 4477
Also, what recent stuff have you seen that was impressive in the audio category? I'm going through the faves presently. Open Range, Empire Strikes Back, Dark Knight, Rogue One. Last Jedi will not be sent through my gear.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28952 of 29467 Old 06-22-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2360 Post(s)
Liked: 1863
Instead of my usual Friday Night Horrorfest I binged the first three episodes of "Dark" on Netflix. It was a well qualified replacement.

I am a fan of the "Child's Play" franchise but watched all of them on video. Sorry, will do same with this one. Theaters lack a pause button.

BTW, I read this morning that a group wants to resurrect the Park art house theater in Lafayette that's been closed since 2005. That's going to be a tough one because the floor was practically flat so on a crowded night if you were lucky you might be able to see over the head of the person in front of you. They did make the best popcorn though.

At Shudder support's suggestion I had to log out of the Shudder app on my Roku TV and back in again for it to work. Never have had to do that with a Roku app before. They must outsource their app development.

So Thursday night I did watch the German arthouse film "Hagazussa" on Shudder but it barely qualifies as horror. More like why in the middle ages did they think some women were witches movie. Nicely filmed and produced though. Maybe a bit slow for fans here but if you want to see something really slow, try "Too Old to Die Young" on Amazon.
Bob McLaughlin and RobKnapp like this.
post #28953 of 29467 Old 06-22-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 2492
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Also, what recent stuff have you seen that was impressive in the audio category?
Fury Road.
RobKnapp and Ben23 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28954 of 29467 Old 06-22-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Fury Road.
Ah. Indeed. It's next up.

post #28955 of 29467 Old 06-23-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1914 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Instead of my usual Friday Night Horrorfest I binged the first three episodes of "Dark" on Netflix. It was a well qualified replacement.
How's Dark?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Samsung PN F8500 60'' TV, Denon AVR X4200W, Onkyo TX SR805, Parasound HCA 1500A, SVS Prime Towers and Center, SVS Prime satellites, Proficient Surrounds, Duo Kreisel DXD subs, PSA S3000i sub, Oppo 103D player, Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTR 3600
post #28956 of 29467 Old 06-23-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
How's Dark?
The first three episodes were good. I'll resume again tonight.
post #28957 of 29467 Old 06-24-2019, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Fury Road.
My gut reaction as well. I'd say since upgrading my TV and speakers, the Mad Max: Fury Road and BR 2049 UHD discs have been my favorite viewings.
post #28958 of 29467 Old 06-24-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Watched two movies...
Today, I watched Se7en. Not sure when was the last time I watched it but I had forgotten much of the movie (except the ending). Great stuff this was. I watched the remastered version and holy well, the sound mix was awesome. The surround speakers were in constant use throughout the movie. Not sure if the original was like this. That ending is still awesome.
Thanks for the reminder. I bought the Blu-ray a long time ago and was surprised at how active the surround channels were. I think it's about time for another viewing..added to this year's Oct queue.
tenthplanet and RobKnapp like this.

OG October Horrorfest Contributor
post #28959 of 29467 Old 06-24-2019, 08:07 PM

Fury Road is an absolute beast of a movie. Even with three or four rewatches the most recent one drives it home even further.

Fired up The Road Warrior tonight and there are many parallels but Fury Road is a total evolution in scope and detail. We need more. At least I, need more.

Supposedly the next couple are in legal limbo due to WB not paying bonuses and one would be a Furiosa centered tale. All in all, you here know this, but Tom Hardy fully captured Max.

Anyways, Fury Road is primo audio. I can't wait to see it in 4k when my plasma dies from some weird Final Destination accident that wasn't setup by me.

Speaking of 4k what tv/brand is top of the heap at the moment? I've got a soft spot for Sony due to the three that I own they are total workhorses, not showing any sign of slowing up meanwhile my Sammy LED 4k has purple spots all over the screen.

I'd be in the market for a 60 inch. Seems like LG has made some waves.

Ben23 likes this.
post #28960 of 29467 Old 06-24-2019, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2098 Post(s)
Liked: 3041
Quote:
Fury Road is an absolute beast of a movie. Even with three or four rewatches the most recent one drives it home even further.

Fired up The Road Warrior tonight and there are many parallels but Fury Road is a total evolution in scope and detail. We need more. At least I, need more.

Supposedly the next couple are in legal limbo due to WB not paying bonuses and one would be a Furiosa centered tale. All in all, you here know this, but Tom Hardy fully captured Max.

Anyways, Fury Road is primo audio. I can't wait to see it in 4k when my plasma dies from some weird Final Destination accident that wasn't setup by me.

Speaking of 4k what tv/brand is top of the heap at the moment? I've got a soft spot for Sony due to the three that I own they are total workhorses, not showing any sign of slowing up meanwhile my Sammy LED 4k has purple spots all over the screen.

You can't go wrong with a Sony especially if you want to have a choice between a dark theater and well lit room. The one my father has upscales 2K beautifully looks great for sports. It also did well with with the blu-ray of Dunkirk. Are you thinking OLED or FALD LCD ?
RobKnapp and Ben23 like this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #28961 of 29467 Old 06-25-2019, 01:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:

There are no decent 60" that I read about . 55" 0r 65" >>>>> The best mid range Sony and best value IMO is full-array local dimming (FALD) direct-lit LED backlighting, X1 Extreme processor with Dolby Vision HDR10 which your new AVR is Dolby Vision ready. Sony X900F . I do not like OLED in a mid range model . OLED would need to a Flagship. That's me though . More product research would need to be done but from my reading and if you are not wanting a Flagship look into Sony x900F 65" is like $1499 food for thought. Out dated review as Dolby Vision was not added via firmware update when this video was made. x900F It has Dolby Vision. Vincent ,HDTVTest is well-versed. Good luck on your quest.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65...?skuId=6179726

Spoiler!
Ben23 likes this.

Vision: Man Cave: XBR-65" Sony Z9D HDR 3-D Bedroom: Sony KDL- 65" W850A 3-D
Sound: Denon AVR-X4500H Front: Klipsch Epic CF-4 Rear: Klipsch Epic CF-2 Center: Klipsch KV-4 SuB: Klipsch KSW-15
Smarts: Sony UBP-X700 4K 3-D Player Dolby Vision, AppleTV-4K , PS4 , PS3 , XBOX 360 , Wii , Monster Power HTS3600 MKII
post #28962 of 29467 Old 06-25-2019, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKnapp View Post
There are no decent 60" that I read about . 55" 0r 65" >>>>> The best mid range Sony and best value IMO is full-array local dimming (FALD) direct-lit LED backlighting, X1 Extreme processor with Dolby Vision HDR10 which your new AVR is Dolby Vision ready. Sony X900F . I do not like OLED in a mid range model . OLED would need to a Flagship. That's me though . More product research would need to be done but from my reading and if you are not wanting a Flagship look into Sony x900F 65" is like $1499 food for thought. Out dated review as Dolby Vision was not added via firmware update when this video was made. x900F It has Dolby Vision. Vincent ,HDTVTest is well-versed. Good luck on your quest.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65...?skuId=6179726

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLDxEE9Wwng

Spoiler!
Thanks, that helps get me in the right space. I noticed 60 inch was not a thing lately but I can go up to 65 easily.

post #28963 of 29467 Old 06-25-2019, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks, that helps get me in the right space. I noticed 60 inch was not a thing lately but I can go up to 65 easily.

I went from a 10 year old 46" 1080p Samsung that was starting to lose brightness to a 65" (TCL 65R617), and I have loved it. Everyone on the TV threads recommends to go as big as you can, and you will never regret it. No one ever says, "darn, my TV is just too big!"

That aforementioned Sony 900F does seem to be a sweet spot for a mid-range TV. I have not seen it personally, but it seems to be a consensus on the TV threads. I would not try to push the TCL over the Sony, but if you are budget conscious at all, I have loved it. CNET stated flat out, it's the best TV value (bang for buck) we've ever reviewed. Also, not sure if it matters to you, but the Roku interface on the TV is top notch. The X-factor with the TCL will be longevity, of which, Sony is proven.
RobKnapp likes this.
post #28964 of 29467 Old 06-25-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23 View Post
I went from a 10 year old 46" 1080p Samsung that was starting to lose brightness to a 65" (TCL 65R617), and I have loved it. Everyone on the TV threads recommends to go as big as you can, and you will never regret it. No one ever says, "darn, my TV is just too big!"

That aforementioned Sony 900F does seem to be a sweet spot for a mid-range TV. I have not seen it personally, but it seems to be a consensus on the TV threads. I would not try to push the TCL over the Sony, but if you are budget conscious at all, I have loved it. CNET stated flat out, it's the best TV value (bang for buck) we've ever reviewed. Also, not sure if it matters to you, but the Roku interface on the TV is top notch. The X-factor with the TCL will be longevity, of which, Sony is proven.

I do see the TCL on several lists, I'll be reading on it. We love Roku at our house.
Ben23 likes this.
post #28965 of 29467 Old 06-25-2019, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Beware built in Roku on TV's you don't know how long it will be updated, of course that's true of any internal apps on any TV. Free standing Roku's (streaming boxes) are great.

post #28966 of 29467 Old 06-25-2019, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Your TV is the right size, but your room shrunk/your furniture is too big/you need that dedicated home theater room now.
Ben23 likes this.

post #28967 of 29467 Old 06-25-2019, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

THO asks..Going through Game of Thrones withdrawal ? You need one of these (see below). "The Horned One Approves" (and receives no financial compensation if you buy one, I promise).
For your beverage of choice...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	got 0_550x550_Back_Color-White.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	2584570  

post #28968 of 29467 Old 06-26-2019, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Your TV is the right size, but your room shrunk/your furniture is too big/you need that dedicated home theater room now.
Trust me, I am very envious of the dedicated home theater builds people on here have done and would love something like that. Sadly, I live in northern NJ and make an honest living, which means in just about any other state, I could probably afford a house large enough to do something like that, but here, I live in a shoe box. I actually just bought the house I've been renting for five years, which is how I learned the true nature of my landlord (he's an a-hole even after I was a perfect tenant). One of my favorite pastimes/sources of depression is seeing the house my budget could buy in my hometown in SC.

For the price of a new 4bd/2bath, 2000 sq ft house with new appliances and updated everything in SC, you can get a 2bd/1bath, 900 sq ft, 60 year old house with hot pink walls, olive green appliances, holey floors, SOLD AS IS (!!!!!!!!), on a sketchy street that may be in a cancer cluster (but the company that polluted the groundwater has a lot of money so...) in northern NJ. Plus the added benefit of insanely high property taxes coupled with crumbling infrastructure (in the low rent areas at least), but I hear the schools are good!

Sorry for the rant. I find myself in the unfortunate position of hating hot weather and desperately wanting to be near the coast (lived in MO for three years and did not like it at all), which cancels out 99% of affordable/modern locales pretty much globally.
GoCaboNow likes this.
post #28969 of 29467 Old 06-26-2019, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1914 Post(s)
Liked: 590
The newly added Netflix film The Golem looks promising. Has anyone seen it?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Samsung PN F8500 60'' TV, Denon AVR X4200W, Onkyo TX SR805, Parasound HCA 1500A, SVS Prime Towers and Center, SVS Prime satellites, Proficient Surrounds, Duo Kreisel DXD subs, PSA S3000i sub, Oppo 103D player, Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTR 3600
post #28970 of 29467 Old 06-26-2019, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 7030 Post(s)
Liked: 15739
Watched The Man Who Killed Hitler And Then The Bigfoot last night. It was different. Not bad. Probably not much repeat viewing, at least for me. But a decent rental. Had surprisingly good audio and LFE.

post #28971 of 29467 Old 06-26-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Beware built in Roku on TV's you don't know how long it will be updated, of course that's true of any internal apps on any TV. Free standing Roku's (streaming boxes) are great.
I haven't seen any problems with updates of Roku apps on my 4K TCL Roku TV. I also have played around with making Roku apps. I think you'll pretty much get the same app on the TV you'll get on the sticks. It's a smart design. I'm even thinking of replacing the TCL this fall with another TCL Roku with HDR on it. Still 55" as I don't need any whiplash. Currently looking to replace the Yamaha receiver with a Pioneer since there are good deals on the VSX-534. The Yamaha has problems recognizing audio switch to DD+ via ARC and grabbing the remote when it happens is getting very old.

I watched the Amazon adaptation of "Suspiria" last night. Different. And speaking of "Happy!" guess who played the Washington DC "commander" on the latest episode of "The Handmaids Tale".
tenthplanet, RobKnapp and Ben23 like this.
post #28972 of 29467 Old 06-26-2019, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I haven't seen any problems with updates of Roku apps on my 4K TCL Roku TV. I also have played around with making Roku apps. I think you'll pretty much get the same app on the TV you'll get on the sticks. It's a smart design. I'm even thinking of replacing the TCL this fall with another TCL Roku with HDR on it. Still 55" as I don't need any whiplash. Currently looking to replace the Yamaha receiver with a Pioneer since there are good deals on the VSX-534. The Yamaha has problems recognizing audio switch to DD+ via ARC and grabbing the remote when it happens is getting very old.

I watched the Amazon adaptation of "Suspiria" last night. Different. And speaking of "Happy!" guess who played the Washington DC "commander" on the latest episode of "The Handmaids Tale".
People usually keep their TV's longer before updating them then their phones, that's my caution when it comes to internal apps. Down the road you may wish your programs where running on a box that the box maker is still updating without having to go through the company that made the TV. And I mean streaming boxes with ethernet, wi-fi only sticks should be cast into the nearest pit you can find.

post #28973 of 29467 Old 06-26-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Trust me, I am very envious of the dedicated home theater builds people on here have done and would love something like that. Sadly, I live in northern NJ and make an honest living, which means in just about any other state, I could probably afford a house large enough to do something like that, but here, I live in a shoe box. I actually just bought the house I've been renting for five years, which is how I learned the true nature of my landlord (he's an a-hole even after I was a perfect tenant). One of my favorite pastimes/sources of depression is seeing the house my budget could buy in my hometown in SC.

For the price of a new 4bd/2bath, 2000 sq ft house with new appliances and updated everything in SC, you can get a 2bd/1bath, 900 sq ft, 60 year old house with hot pink walls, olive green appliances, holey floors, SOLD AS IS (!!!!!!!!), on a sketchy street that may be in a cancer cluster (but the company that polluted the groundwater has a lot of money so...) in northern NJ. Plus the added benefit of insanely high property taxes coupled with crumbling infrastructure (in the low rent areas at least), but I hear the schools are good!

Sorry for the rant. I find myself in the unfortunate position of hating hot weather and desperately wanting to be near the coast (lived in MO for three years and did not like it at all), which cancels out 99% of affordable/modern locales pretty much globally.
For what it's worth home theater rooms don't sell houses if you ever want to move, for your situation your TV size is fine for what ever you want. (You might want to change the pink walls when you can). Do the green appliances still work ?

post #28974 of 29467 Old 06-26-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
People usually keep their TV's longer before updating them then their phones, that's my caution when it comes to internal apps. Down the road you may wish your programs where running on a box that the box maker is still updating without having to go through the company that made the TV. And I mean streaming boxes with ethernet, wi-fi only sticks should be cast into the nearest pit you can find.
I would normally agree on internal apps but Roku is a different model. What I'm saying is that the app on a Roku external device should be the same as on the Roku TV. Currently I have three ways of streaming: the Roku TV itself, an Nvidia Shield TV which has had more problems with updates from various streaming companies because Android is a bit harder to developer for in an age of DASH (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTML) but then that's Nvidia not Google. And finally a Sony UHD-X700 4K player which has very limited apps compared to my previous Sony BD player which turned the app thing over to Opera.
post #28975 of 29467 Old 06-26-2019, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

For what it's worth home theater rooms don't sell houses if you ever want to move, for your situation your TV size is fine for what ever you want.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] (You might want to change the pink walls when you can[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]). Do the green appliances still work ?
Whoa, what happened to the text? It's intertwined with symbols and stuff. Must be because I did this on my phone. So it looks likes every "s" I typed was replaced by "s"

Corrected on my laptop:

Sorry, I don't actually live in the house I described. Just conveying things; I've actually seen perusing Zillow and what not. My appliances are old, but they're beige at least.

Last edited by Ben23; 06-27-2019 at 06:24 AM.
post #28976 of 29467 Old 06-26-2019, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Annabelle Comes Home (2019 Cinema Showing

Very enjoyable for the Supernatural possession horror films genre fan . It was awesome .

While babysitting the daughter of Ed and Lorraine Warren, a teenager and her friend unknowingly awaken an evil spirit trapped in a doll. Writers:James Wan (story by), Gary Dauberman Director: Gary Dauberman Stars: Vera Farmiga, Patrick Wilson, Mckenna Grace I will say that I love all the film in the cliched "The Conjuring" universe" . Some stand out more than others . With James Wan and company at the helm they are all enjoyable for the Supernatural possession horror films genre fan . "Annabelle Comes Home" is no exception. It doesn't try to scare you with loud noises or threaten you with the imminent certainty of seeing something disgusting. Instead, it throws a handful of characters into a simple, yet harrowing, situation and then explores that situation in depth. "Annabelle Comes Home" offers more humor in addition to the supernatural terror the Conjuring franchise is known for. It was awesome .

The film also hones in on a sense of nostalgia !

Spoiler!

Vision: Man Cave: XBR-65" Sony Z9D HDR 3-D Bedroom: Sony KDL- 65" W850A 3-D
Sound: Denon AVR-X4500H Front: Klipsch Epic CF-4 Rear: Klipsch Epic CF-2 Center: Klipsch KV-4 SuB: Klipsch KSW-15
Smarts: Sony UBP-X700 4K 3-D Player Dolby Vision, AppleTV-4K , PS4 , PS3 , XBOX 360 , Wii , Monster Power HTS3600 MKII

Last edited by RobKnapp; 06-26-2019 at 09:14 PM.
post #28977 of 29467 Old 06-26-2019, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKnapp View Post
Annabelle Comes Home (2019 Cinema Showing

Very enjoyable for the Supernatural possession horror films genre fan . It was awesome .

While babysitting the daughter of Ed and Lorraine Warren, a teenager and her friend unknowingly awaken an evil spirit trapped in a doll. Writers:James Wan (story by), Gary Dauberman Director: Gary Dauberman Stars: Vera Farmiga, Patrick Wilson, Mckenna Grace I will say that I love all the film in the cliched "The Conjuring" universe" . Some stand out more than others . With James Wan and company at the helm they are all enjoyable for the Supernatural possession horror films genre fan . "Annabelle Comes Home" is no exception. It doesn't try to scare you with loud noises or threaten you with the imminent certainty of seeing something disgusting. Instead, it throws a handful of characters into a simple, yet harrowing, situation and then explores that situation in depth. "Annabelle Comes Home" offers more humor in addition to the supernatural terror the Conjuring franchise is known for. It was awesome .

I've been waiting to see this one.
Bob McLaughlin and RobKnapp like this.

post #28978 of 29467 Old 06-27-2019, 02:04 PM

James wan, my life for you!!!
post #28979 of 29467 Old 06-27-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 990
Quote:
James wan, my life for you!!!
Nice reference to the Trashcan Man there...
tenthplanet likes this.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #28980 of 29467 Old 06-27-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
Nice reference to the Trashcan Man there...
Bumpity bump

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page