October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 967 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19604Likes

post #28981 of 29932 Old 06-27-2019, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2145 Post(s)
Liked: 3245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23 View Post
Whoa, what happened to the text? It's intertwined with symbols and stuff. Must be because I did this on my phone. So it looks likes every "s" I typed was replaced by "s"

Corrected on my laptop:

Sorry, I don't actually live in the house I described. Just conveying things; I've actually seen perusing Zillow and what not. My appliances are old, but they're beige at least.
Beige OMG they have no resale value Glad to hear things are not as dire as previously posted. Now back to the original problem.. Your TV needs to be bigger.
Ben23 likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28982 of 29932 Old 06-28-2019, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Redboxed Us on blu ray. I thought it was well-made, well-written, well-acted, and suspenseful in parts. The plot, though, was just too much for me. The analogy/allegory/underlying meaning, etc, okay, that's fine, but the actual story used to convey it was just too off the rails IMO.

Overall, I think Get Out is a better, more effective horror movie that also has more effective societal commentary. The IMDb ratings reflect that with Us at 7.1 and Get Out at 7.7. I'd give Us a 6.8 and Get Out a 7.5.
darthrsg, GoCaboNow and asere like this.
post #28983 of 29932 Old 06-28-2019, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2376 Post(s)
Liked: 1972
Quote:
Redboxed Us on blu ray. I thought it was well-made, well-written, well-acted, and suspenseful in parts. The plot, though, was just too much for me. The analogy/allegory/underlying meaning, etc, okay, that's fine, but the actual story used to convey it was just too off the rails IMO.

Overall, I think Get Out is a better, more effective horror movie that also has more effective societal commentary. The IMDb ratings reflect that with Us at 7.1 and Get Out at 7.7. I'd give Us a 6.8 and Get Out a 7.5.
I've been thinking of Redboxing it too especially with the mw popcorn codes I have sitting around. Just disappointed after being told by the RB guy that it would be available UHD it wasn't.

I've been surfing Amazon to see what's there. Started on "Trapped" last night. The networks are the "dead zone" right now and some of the streaming sites not much better. Execs must think we're all on exotic vacation getaways.
Ben23 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28984 of 29932 Old 06-29-2019, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2003 Post(s)
Liked: 900
Watched The Addams Family (1991) today for the first time. It was alright. I think I much prefer the cartoons. Will be watching Addams Family Values (1993) when I get the chance.
post #28985 of 29932 Old 06-30-2019, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Watching Dark on Netflix. I think it's a really good series. I am almost done. Watching S2E3..

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Brian Conrad and RobKnapp like this.

Samsung PN F8500 60'' TV, Denon AVR X4200W, Onkyo TX SR805, Parasound HCA 1500A, SVS Prime Towers and Center, SVS Prime satellites, Proficient Surrounds, Duo Kreisel DXD subs, PSA S3000i sub, Oppo 103D player, Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTR 3600
post #28986 of 29932 Old 06-30-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3050 Post(s)
Liked: 4735
Alita Battle Angel. Solid stuff. Liked it a lot. Sadly the House of Mouse will kill any sequels, probably.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #28987 of 29932 Old 06-30-2019, 01:05 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 1464
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Fury Road is an absolute beast of a movie. Even with three or four rewatches the most recent one drives it home even further.

Fired up The Road Warrior tonight and there are many parallels but Fury Road is a total evolution in scope and detail. We need more. At least I, need more.

Supposedly the next couple are in legal limbo due to WB not paying bonuses and one would be a Furiosa centered tale. All in all, you here know this, but Tom Hardy fully captured Max.

Anyways, Fury Road is primo audio. I can't wait to see it in 4k when my plasma dies from some weird Final Destination accident that wasn't setup by me.

Speaking of 4k what tv/brand is top of the heap at the moment? I've got a soft spot for Sony due to the three that I own they are total workhorses, not showing any sign of slowing up meanwhile my Sammy LED 4k has purple spots all over the screen.

I'd be in the market for a 60 inch. Seems like LG has made some waves.

OLED has the best PQ imo. It has the deepest blacks, best angle of view, very high contrast ratio, and decent gamut. And doesn't have to resort to tricks like FALD.

There are other factors to consider though... like price and burn-in. Prices have come down in the last couple years on OLED TVs, but there's still a premium to be paid for this technology over other LCD/LED-based techs, esp. if you go with a Sony. Regardless of what some salesman may try to tell you, there are only two technologies for new direct-view TVs at the moment. And they are OLED and LCD/LED. The other techs (like QLED, for example) are largely about branding, and variations in the back-lighting on the LCD/LED models.

Burn-in and color drift are probably still issues though on OLED. I went with a Sammy LCD/LED over plasma for my last TV, because I wanted a display that was versatile enough to be used for a wide variety of applications, including web-browsing and computing. I liked the PQ better on plasma. And tried out several different floor models from different mfrs, before finally settling on a Sammy LED. My main concern with the plasma TVs was the potential for burn-in.

If movies and TV viewing are your principal app though, then I think OLED is worth considering. I believe LG is the only panel mfr btw. And Sony gets the panels for their OLED TVs from them. So the LGs may have slightly newer and better panel designs than the Sonys. I like the PQ better on the 55" LG than on the 65" though. And I'm not sure exactly why. Maybe it has something to do with the size or density of the pixels. Some of the processing and other junk may be a little better on the Sonys though. I'm not really sure about that though.

If you get an OLED, I'd plan on calibrating it frequently. Maybe as often as every 3 or 6 months, if you use it alot, to compensate for any potential color drift. That might be something you'd want to learn how to do yourself, rather than paying the Geek Squad or an ISF calibrator big bucks to do the same job. The hardware for this can be rented pretty cheaply. Decent color analyzers are available for only a few hundred bucks though. The analyzers also need to be calibrated from time to time for the most accurate results btw.

I still do most of my calibration by eye, using a 6500K fluorescent bulb and some custom patterns designed to match the bulb's specific color characteristics. It's not the best way to go. But it is one of the cheapest for someone like me on a very tight budget. My TV is just Rec. 601/709 though. So I'm still kind of in the stone age. Calibrating newer models with support for high dynamic range gamma curves (HDR/Rec. 2100) and wider color gamuts (Rec. 2020) is, I assume, a bit more involved.
darthrsg likes this.

ADU
post #28988 of 29932 Old 06-30-2019, 01:26 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 1464
Last horror movie I watched btw was the 1972 TV movie Gargoyles, with Cornel Wilde, Jennifer Salt, Bernie Casey and Scott Glenn. Streamed free on Crackle, if I remember correctly.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 06-30-2019 at 01:29 PM.
post #28989 of 29932 Old 06-30-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
OLED has the best PQ imo. It has the deepest blacks, best angle of view, very high contrast ratio, and decent gamut. And doesn't have to resort to tricks like FALD.

There are other factors to consider though... like price and burn-in. Prices have come down in the last couple years on OLED TVs, but there's still a premium to be paid for this technology over other LCD/LED-based techs, esp. if you go with a Sony. Regardless of what some salesman may try to tell you, there are only two technologies for new direct-view TVs at the moment. And they are OLED and LCD/LED. The other techs (like QLED, for example) are largely about branding, and variations in the back-lighting on the LCD/LED models.

Burn-in and color drift are probably still issues though on OLED. I went with a Sammy LCD/LED over plasma for my last TV, because I wanted a display that was versatile enough to be used for a wide variety of applications, including web-browsing and computing. I liked the PQ better on plasma. And tried out several different floor models from different mfrs, before finally settling on a Sammy LED. My main concern with the plasma TVs was the potential for burn-in.

If movies and TV viewing are your principal app though, then I think OLED is worth considering. I believe LG is the only panel mfr btw. And Sony gets the panels for their OLED TVs from them. So the LGs may have slightly newer and better panel designs than the Sonys. I like the PQ better on the 55" LG than on the 65" though. And I'm not sure exactly why. Maybe it has something to do with the size or density of the pixels. Some of the processing and other junk may be a little better on the Sonys though. I'm not really sure about that though.

If you get an OLED, I'd plan on calibrating it frequently. Maybe as often as every 3 or 6 months, if you use it alot, to compensate for any potential color drift. That might be something you'd want to learn how to do yourself, rather than paying the Geek Squad or an ISF calibrator big bucks to do the same job. The hardware for this can be rented pretty cheaply. Decent color analyzers are available for only a few hundred bucks though. The analyzers also need to be calibrated from time to time for the most accurate results btw.

I still do most of my calibration by eye, using a 6500K fluorescent bulb and some custom patterns designed to match the bulb's specific color characteristics. It's not the best way to go. But it is one of the cheapest for someone like me on a very tight budget. My TV is just Rec. 601/709 though. So I'm still kind of in the stone age. Calibrating newer models with support for high dynamic range gamma curves (HDR/Rec. 2100) and wider color gamuts (Rec. 2020) is, I assume, a bit more involved.
Saw a Sony, the one mentioned earlier at Best Buy yesterday. The X900. Amazing. Saw several reviews complaining about viewing angles and I didn't see any unless you were parallel to it which would never happen in my use. We'd be directly in from at all times in my office. About 9-10 feet away.

I love my plasma but I'm getting the 4k itch and that'd be the only reason to upgrade. My use case would be movies and games

Also I've been reading on Atmos, getting educated. Apparently the height speakers aren't especially special (avs blasphemy) and there's some out there that sit on your l/r fronts and fire up. I may give that a go and see if it fits my space. I'm due for a speaker update. I will say the Onkyo is kicking arse. I like how it doesn't mess with the video like the HK did, I've seen a marked improvement on everything from that standpoint. It's plenty loud as well.

tenthplanet, RobKnapp and Ben23 like this.
post #28990 of 29932 Old 06-30-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I did get to watch "Us" on BD last night. Very interesting film and the BD came with the extras. Joe Bob will be happy that Peele used the term "reference" rather than "homage" because there are a lot of references to other horror films. A couple he didn't mention was "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and the H.G. Wells "The Time Machine."

I also binged all six episodes of "The Chosen One" on Netflix, which is a Brazilian series around a team of doctors who go into the jungle to give vaccinations to villagers and run into a strange cult. It was excellent and there is a setup for season two. Also it was shot in 8K.
tenthplanet, RobKnapp and Ben23 like this.
post #28991 of 29932 Old 06-30-2019, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Dark (2017–2019 ) Netflix

"Dark" is a rewarding investment in time spent in untangling the family trees and timelines.

The trippy time-travel series received comparisons to Stranger Things when it premiered, but it's actually much deeper and more evocative of Twin Peaks. Weaving a twisty tale about four interconnected families in a small German town, the show is worth the effort of the mental gymnastics required to understand the wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey nature of its storytelling.

Vision: Man Cave: XBR-65" Sony Z9D HDR 3-D Bedroom: Sony KDL- 65" W850A 3-D
Sound: Denon AVR-X4500H Front: Klipsch Epic CF-4 Rear: Klipsch Epic CF-2 Center: Klipsch KV-4 SuB: Klipsch KSW-15
Smarts: Sony UBP-X700 4K 3-D Player Dolby Vision, AppleTV-4K , PS4 , PS3 , XBOX 360 , Wii , Monster Power HTS3600 MKII
post #28992 of 29932 Old 06-30-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
I will say the Onkyo is kicking arse. I like how it doesn't mess with the video like the HK did, I've seen a marked improvement on everything from that standpoint. It's plenty loud as well.
Which Onkyo are you talking about ?
post #28993 of 29932 Old 06-30-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Alita Battle Angel. Solid stuff. Liked it a lot. Sadly the House of Mouse will kill any sequels, probably.

Before the merger I think of the House of Apes had already decided the numbers didn't warrant a sequel.

post #28994 of 29932 Old 06-30-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
Which Onkyo are you talking about ?
Had a Harmon Kardon avr 254 and just got a Onkyo TX-NR686 a couple of weeks ago. The HK had an upscaler and a lot of on board processing.

post #28995 of 29932 Old 06-30-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Before the merger I think of the House of Apes had already decided the numbers didn't warrant a sequel.
Dummies. It was like that Mortal Engine movie. Really good and mostly original concepts but House of Neckbeards aka Marvel Fans deemed it terrible due to lack of Starks.

post #28996 of 29932 Old 06-30-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dummies. It was like that Mortal Engine movie. Really good and mostly original concepts but House of Neckbeards aka Marvel Fans deemed it terrible due to lack of Starks.

Don't lump us O.G. Marvel fans with the newbies homes.
Ben23 likes this.

post #28997 of 29932 Old 06-30-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Don't lump us O.G. Marvel fans with the newbies homes.
Too late you've been overrun. There's still time to jump the wall and become a Trekkie.

post #28998 of 29932 Old 06-30-2019, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Too late you've been overrun. There's still time to jump the wall and become a Trekkie.

I have seen what the universe does to Trekkies
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vap 8846744951_1f2bc43e15_h.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	502.6 KB
ID:	2586240  
darthrsg, GoCaboNow and Ben23 like this.

post #28999 of 29932 Old 06-30-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I have seen what the universe does to Trekkies
I do hope the cape stuff fades back a bit. I'm ready for a good ten years of fantasy, swords, sandals, and such.

tenthplanet likes this.
post #29000 of 29932 Old 06-30-2019, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

I'd have to agree with this, in general. The movie had moments of suspense, but didn't measure up to others in this genre(s)
Spoiler!

Ultimately, the movie failed for me. I enjoyed the first third of the movie better than the last two thirds. The acting, dialog, and situational setup was much more interesting than the course the movie ended up taking.

I'd be a bit tougher on it, and give it a 5/10. While Get Out would be a solid 7/10.

Scott
darthrsg and Ben23 like this.

post #29001 of 29932 Old 06-30-2019, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

To quote a certain well known starship captain.."Make it so"

https://deadline.com/2019/06/netflix...er-1202640201/
Netflix Nears Deal With Warner Bros. TV For ‘Sandman’ Series

post #29002 of 29932 Old 07-01-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post
I'd have to agree with this, in general. The movie had moments of suspense, but didn't measure up to others in this genre(s)
Spoiler!

Ultimately, the movie failed for me. I enjoyed the first third of the movie better than the last two thirds. The acting, dialog, and situational setup was much more interesting than the course the movie ended up taking.

I'd be a bit tougher on it, and give it a 5/10. While Get Out would be a solid 7/10.

Scott

Have to agree, I applaud the effort and look forward to his next project but didn't hate it.
Ben23 likes this.
post #29003 of 29932 Old 07-01-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
This month on Svengoolie - Saturday nights on MeTV

7/6 - Mr. Sardonicus
7/13 - The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb
7/20 - Village of the Giants
7/27 - Forbidden Planet
tenthplanet and RobKnapp like this.
post #29004 of 29932 Old 07-01-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Every time for the past several years that Svengoolie ran Mr. Sardonicus something happened to mess up my recording. EVERY TIME.

I hope I get it this time around.
RobKnapp likes this.
post #29005 of 29932 Old 07-01-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I watched the first episode of "The Loudest Voice" on Showtime last night. I was amused that it is a Blumhouse production. Yeah, it is kind of a horror show.

One goof I caught was the abandoned Sam Goody store they were looking at for the FOX News location had a sign saying "DVDs $11.99". It was supposed to be 1995 and DVDs didn't come out until 1997. Do I get bonus points for that?
post #29006 of 29932 Old 07-01-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I watched the first episode of "The Loudest Voice" on Showtime last night. I was amused that it is a Blumhouse production. Yeah, it is kind of a horror show.
I noticed it was a Blumhouse production too.

Quote:
One goof I caught was the abandoned Sam Goody store they were looking at for the FOX News location had a sign saying "DVDs $11.99". It was supposed to be 1995 and DVDs didn't come out until 1997. Do I get bonus points for that?

I wouldn't have thought it was possible to make Russell Crowe look anything like Roger Ailes even if they had Greg Nicotero and Tom Savini working around the clock but they pulled it off.
post #29007 of 29932 Old 07-01-2019, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKnapp View Post
Dark (2017–2019 ) Netflix

"Dark" is a rewarding investment in time spent in untangling the family trees and timelines.

The trippy time-travel series received comparisons to Stranger Things when it premiered, but it's actually much deeper and more evocative of Twin Peaks. Weaving a twisty tale about four interconnected families in a small German town, the show is worth the effort of the mental gymnastics required to understand the wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey nature of its storytelling.
I'm on S2E5. Is there going to be a S3 coming soon or the series finalizes with S2?

Samsung PN F8500 60'' TV, Denon AVR X4200W, Onkyo TX SR805, Parasound HCA 1500A, SVS Prime Towers and Center, SVS Prime satellites, Proficient Surrounds, Duo Kreisel DXD subs, PSA S3000i sub, Oppo 103D player, Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTR 3600
post #29008 of 29932 Old 07-02-2019, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
I'm on S2E5. Is there going to be a S3 coming soon or the series finalizes with S2?

I've read that S3 is already in production.
post #29009 of 29932 Old 07-02-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I've read that S3 is already in production.
I'm almost done with S2 and can't possibly imagine what they are going to come up with for S3.

post #29010 of 29932 Old 07-02-2019, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post

A little reading...
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/06/da...ix-1202154219/
‘Dark’ Co-Creator Hints at Season 3 Plans and Whether or Not Every Mystery Will Be Solved
asere likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page