October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 968 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18025Likes

post #29011 of 29506 Old 07-02-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2113 Post(s)
Liked: 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I watched the first episode of "The Loudest Voice" on Showtime last night. I was amused that it is a Blumhouse production. Yeah, it is kind of a horror show.

One goof I caught was the abandoned Sam Goody store they were looking at for the FOX News location had a sign saying "DVDs $11.99". It was supposed to be 1995 and DVDs didn't come out until 1997. Do I get bonus points for that?
The roots of fake news ? DVDs came out in 1995 ?

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29012 of 29506 Old 07-02-2019, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
The roots of fake news ? DVDs came out in 1995 ?
Maybe they thought that "Laserdiscs $11.99" wouldn't be understood by the audience. That would really be a bargain but LD clearances didn't start until DVDs began taking over the market. They could have used VHS (would have been used ones).

I saw a demo of DVDs by Philips at the spring 1996 E3 in Los Angeles. They released that year in Japan but not in the US until 1997.
post #29013 of 29506 Old 07-02-2019, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Supernatural Or not. ...
Ordered a Blu-Ray and another item from Amazon. A big envelope arrives two days later and the end is ripped like a mail handling machine snagged it. Only the Blu-Ray disc was in the envelope the other item was gone/fell out.
(Amazon is sending the missing item). The Blu-Ray in the envelope was 'Annabelle: Creation', coincidence ? or... Maybe she just likes to travel alone ?
RobKnapp likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29014 of 29506 Old 07-02-2019, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Maybe they thought that "Laserdiscs $11.99" wouldn't be understood by the audience. That would really be a bargain but LD clearances didn't start until DVDs began taking over the market. They could have used VHS (would have been used ones).

I saw a demo of DVDs by Philips at the spring 1996 E3 in Los Angeles. They released that year in Japan but not in the US until 1997.
There was a store that sold off it's Laserdisc rental library, I was able to get a number of titles I couldn't afford otherwise.

post #29015 of 29506 Old 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Supernatural Or not. ...
Ordered a Blu-Ray and another item from Amazon. A big envelope arrives two days later and the end is ripped like a mail handling machine snagged it. Only the Blu-Ray disc was in the envelope the other item was gone/fell out.
(Amazon is sending the missing item). The Blu-Ray in the envelope was 'Annabelle: Creation', coincidence ? or... Maybe she just likes to travel alone ?
Sounds like Annabelle escaped!

Quote:
There was a store that sold off it's Laserdisc rental library, I was able to get a number of titles I couldn't afford otherwise.
Yup, I took advantage of some good clearance sales too. Some of those "special editions" retailed at over $100 back then. I still have the discs and the player but would bet the discs are rotten. Those were the days when I could drive over to San Francisco on a Saturday and shop the store around 9th and Market and park on the street.
tenthplanet and RobKnapp like this.
post #29016 of 29506 Old 07-03-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Just watched The Blair Witch Project (1999). I think this is the first full re-watch I've done it since it came out. Still is some pretty freaky stuff! Plus, I am looking forward to the upcoming Xbox One and PC game titled Blair Witch. It releases on August 30, 2019.

Link to the PC version of the game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1092660/Blair_Witch/
tenthplanet likes this.
post #29017 of 29506 Old 07-03-2019, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 7050 Post(s)
Liked: 15768
Quote:
Quote:
Yup, I took advantage of some good clearance sales too. Some of those "special editions" retailed at over $100 back then. I still have the discs and the player but would bet the discs are rotten. Those were the days when I could drive over to San Francisco on a Saturday and shop the store around 9th and Market and park on the street.
Ah yes, good ol' LDs. I sold off a lot of my laserdisc collection way back when. Still have a decent amount. Including Star Wars when Han shot first. He's such a nerfherder. Back when I was doing front projection I dug out my old LD player and played the Star Wars disc. It didn't look as bad as I expected. Viva la LD!
tenthplanet likes this.

Last edited by Waboman; 07-03-2019 at 08:52 PM.
post #29018 of 29506 Old 07-03-2019, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Child's Play (1988) 8/10 Free Tubi

Friends to the end

Child's Play is a horror genre freak-out that could've been a lot lamer than its story-lines may had inclined you to anticipate. You can genuinely tell here that the filmmakers sympathetically wanted to forge something unusually intoxicating. I have not seen this in 31 years. I thought is was excellent . Bought it on Blu-Ray

Go Team USA

tenthplanet likes this.

Vision: Man Cave: XBR-65" Sony Z9D HDR 3-D Bedroom: Sony KDL- 65" W850A 3-D
Sound: Denon AVR-X4500H Front: Klipsch Epic CF-4 Rear: Klipsch Epic CF-2 Center: Klipsch KV-4 SuB: Klipsch KSW-15
Smarts: Sony UBP-X700 4K 3-D Player Dolby Vision, AppleTV-4K , PS4 , PS3 , XBOX 360 , Wii , Monster Power HTS3600 MKII
post #29019 of 29506 Old 07-04-2019, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3005 Post(s)
Liked: 4498
Happy 4th to the crew here. Fire up your "I LOVE GOVT" movie lists.

First Blood
Red Dawn
RoboCop

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
tenthplanet, Ken.F and Ben23 like this.
post #29020 of 29506 Old 07-04-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I watched "Party Hard, Die Young" which is a German slasher film about vacationing college students at an island rave party. They have it available in German and also English dubbed. About three and a half empty bottles. Nice cinematography.

Followed that with about a half hour John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness" also available on Shudder and will finish it off tonight. It's probably one of my favorite Carpenter films because of it's eeriness.
darthrsg and tenthplanet like this.
post #29021 of 29506 Old 07-05-2019, 02:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Saw 'Midsommar' last night. Just like 'Hereditary', people are going to be split on this one. The old is it "horror or not" argument will be flying around the internet. My quick assessment of the film is it's a dark fantasy with horror elements, graphic at times, disturbing most of the time. While the director's approach and style are his own (Watch Hereditary towards the ending as a refresher where the director comes from) , the actual story resembles something Clive Barker might write. Imagine Barker seeing 'The Wicker Man' and thinking I could do so much more than that, and he did.

Most of crew here will want to check it out.

post #29022 of 29506 Old 07-05-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This month's Hulu "Into the Dark" installment is well worth a watch. Like "Black Mirror" it's a topical movie about a young Mexican woman who crosses the border into the US from Mexico to experience the "American Dream" only to experience an "American Nightmare". It's very well done and possibly the best of the installments so far.

Also watched the first episode of "Leila", an apocalyptic sci-fi series from India on Netfilx. This too is very well done and the first episode directed by the award winning Deepa Mehta ("Fire","Earth","Water").
tenthplanet likes this.
post #29023 of 29506 Old 07-05-2019, 12:09 PM

Stranger Things S3. Good stuff.
post #29024 of 29506 Old 07-05-2019, 01:18 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 1283

This is kind of a hard one to find on disc. So thought I'd mention that the original Fright Night can be streamed free w/ads on demand right now on Pluto TV. Movie is rated R for some nudity and gore. Sound is only mono, and not the best quality. It's not one of my particular favorites. But this often seems to show up on people's lists of favorite 80's horror flicks.

https://pluto.tv/on-demand/movies/fright-night-1-1
tenthplanet likes this.

ADU
post #29025 of 29506 Old 07-05-2019, 01:42 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Pluto also has Tobe Hooper's Lifeforce free on demand, another schlocky (but good imo) R-rated 80's thriler. Sound and picture are better on this. But the image has been cropped down from it's original scoped ratio to a 16:9 HDTV ratio.

https://pluto.tv/on-demand/movies/lifeforce-(1985)-1-1

I may be missing something, but none of the other popular free streaming svcs seem to have either of the above. Checked Sony Crackle, The Roku Channel, Shout Factory TV, Tubi, Vudu, and nada, unless you've got Amazon Prime, which I believe also has Lifeforce free. Are there any new free w/ads svcs that I might be missing?

ADU
post #29026 of 29506 Old 07-05-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
I may be missing something, but none of the other popular free streaming svcs seem to have either of the above. Checked Sony Crackle, The Roku Channel, Shout Factory TV, Tubi, Vudu, and nada, unless you've got Amazon Prime, which I believe also has Lifeforce free. Are there any new free w/ads svcs that I might be missing?
I watched Lifeforce on Tubi a month or two ago. It was only available in standard definition but it was 16:9 and looked very good. Much better than my crappy old DVD.
ADU and RobKnapp like this.
post #29027 of 29506 Old 07-05-2019, 02:36 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I watched Lifeforce on Tubi a month or two ago. It was only available in standard definition but it was 16:9 and looked very good. Much better than my crappy old DVD.
The cropped 16:9 version on Pluto looks HD to me. But if so, then it's the usual mushy, heavily-compressed HD typically used for streaming, which doesn't look a whole lot better than SD. It's probably better than nothing though, for those who can't afford the Blu-ray.

I checked Tubi as well, and it doesn't appear to be there anymore. So it looks like this is one of those titles that's only offered as a "limited run" on the free svcs for now, unlike some of the old Reese Witherspoon comedies. It seems to pop up with some regularity though. So if you can't find it on one svc., it may be on another.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 07-05-2019 at 03:22 PM.
post #29028 of 29506 Old 07-05-2019, 02:42 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

I can't remember whether it's Tubi or Vudu btw. But one of those sites seems to compress the audio more than the other free streaming sites, in order to boost the loudness, which is not generally a good thing in my book.

ADU
post #29029 of 29506 Old 07-05-2019, 02:57 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Already mentioned this in the SF thread. But may as well mention it here too, while we're on the subject of 80's schlock. Fans of same may enjoy this one too...

Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone

This is a pretty fun one imo, with alot cheesy of action, and also some un-PC, tongue-in-cheek humor. Currently streaming free w/ads on Sony Crackle.

https://www.sonycrackle.com/watch/478

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 07-05-2019 at 03:13 PM.
post #29030 of 29506 Old 07-05-2019, 07:04 PM

Any tips on Nvidia Shield? I grabbed one last weekend, seems like a nice player but it keeps wanting me to use the Google ASSistant and keeps putting the Google Play Movies app on the homescreen despite removing it.

Emby app is nice and snappy, Hulu has no profile access, the home screen is pretty bland in presentation, remote is kind of cool, most of the apps seem to be vpn types of things beyond the big players like Amazon/Netflix etc. It seems to be pretty good at audio from Amazon. Am I missing something? Perhaps my aversion to Google is the mind killer?
post #29031 of 29506 Old 07-05-2019, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Any tips on Nvidia Shield? I grabbed one last weekend, seems like a nice player but it keeps wanting me to use the Google ASSistant and keeps putting the Google Play Movies app on the homescreen despite removing it.
I just put the stuff I want to see on the home screen at the top. They keep adding random crap to the bottom but I usually don't scroll down that far so I never see it. I mostly just use my favorites in the top row of apps anyway. About once a month or so I scroll down to the bottom and remove all the junk they added.

Quote:
Emby app is nice and snappy, Hulu has no profile access, the home screen is pretty bland in presentation, remote is kind of cool, most of the apps seem to be vpn types of things beyond the big players like Amazon/Netflix etc. It seems to be pretty good at audio from Amazon. Am I missing something? Perhaps my aversion to Google is the mind killer?
The Google Assistant was fun to play with for about a week but I never use it now. The apps I use the most are HDHomeRun, Kodi, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, HBO GO, Showtime Anytime, Pluto, Tubi, Vudu, Hoopla and Haystack TV.
post #29032 of 29506 Old 07-05-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The cropped 16:9 version on Pluto looks HD to me. But if so, then it's the usual mushy, heavily-compressed HD typically used for streaming, which doesn't look a whole lot better than SD. It's probably better than nothing though, for those who can't afford the Blu-ray.
When Lifeforce was on Tubi this is what they had:
Code:
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media
Codec ID                                 : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size                                : 961 MiB
Duration                                 : 1 h 56 min
Overall bit rate                         : 1 156 kb/s
Writing application                      : Lavf58.20.100

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : [email protected]
Format settings                          : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames        : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate                                 : 1 021 kb/s
Width                                    : 854 pixels
Height                                   : 476 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Variable
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Minimum frame rate                       : 23.974 FPS
Maximum frame rate                       : 23.981 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.105
Stream size                              : 849 MiB (88%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 148 r2 a01e339
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=15 / lookahead_threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=4 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=96 / keyint_min=48 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=1200 / vbv_bufsize=1200 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.41 / aq=1:1.00
Codec configuration box                  : avcC

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AAC LC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID                                 : mp4a-40-2
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 128 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel layout                           : L R
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate                               : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 106 MiB (11%)
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Alternate group                          : 1
ADU likes this.
post #29033 of 29506 Old 07-05-2019, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Pluto also has Tobe Hooper's Lifeforce free on demand, another schlocky (but good imo) R-rated 80's thriler. Sound and picture are better on this. But the image has been cropped down from it's original scoped ratio to a 16:9 HDTV ratio.

https://pluto.tv/on-demand/movies/lifeforce-(1985)-1-1

No, problem is this picture doesn't belong to Sony, it's a Cannon film. North American TV rights belong to Paramount, and film rights for this era belong to Warner Bros. A lot of older Paramount still pops up on Epix. If by chance it falls under Warners than Cinemax or possibly HBO. Pay TV channels are far from dead. Most free w/ads services seem to be recycling the same movies over and over.

All that being said, a lot of movies have no scope ratio broadcast copies if they came before wide-screen TV's.
ADU likes this.

post #29034 of 29506 Old 07-05-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I just put the stuff I want to see on the home screen at the top. They keep adding random crap to the bottom but I usually don't scroll down that far so I never see it. I mostly just use my favorites in the top row of apps anyway. About once a month or so I scroll down to the bottom and remove all the junk they added.

The Google Assistant was fun to play with for about a week but I never use it now. The apps I use the most are HDHomeRun, Kodi, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, HBO GO, Showtime Anytime, Pluto, Tubi, Vudu, Hoopla and Haystack TV.
For your Kodi are you pointing it to your server?

The ones I use are Amazon Prime, Amazon Music, Youtube, Emby, Hulu. We ditched all other services. This device is in my office, I can't see deploying them around the house in fear of a violent revolt from the ladies. I do dabble in Pluto/Tubi. It's nice having a dedicated streamer even in the same room as the PC for a better lean back experience.
post #29035 of 29506 Old 07-05-2019, 08:57 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When Lifeforce was on Tubi this is what they had:

Width : 854 pixels
Height : 476 pixels
It is possible the version on Pluto TV is the same. But don't quote me on that.

ADU
post #29036 of 29506 Old 07-05-2019, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
For your Kodi are you pointing it to your server?
I mostly use Kodi to access my DVR.

I gutted my Plex server. It had a i7-4770 with 16GB RAM and it was just idling all the time without getting used. I wanted to upgrade my 1st gen i5 desktop PC so I cannibalized the server instead of buying new parts. I cleaned up my media library and moved the files I wanted to keep onto my NAS and Tinker Board so I could access them over the network. I run Plex server on the Shield now but Plex still doesn't get used very much.
post #29037 of 29506 Old 07-05-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I mostly use Kodi to access my DVR.

I gutted my Plex server. It had a i7-4770 with 16GB RAM and it was just idling all the time without getting used. I wanted to upgrade my 1st gen i5 desktop PC so I cannibalized the server instead of buying new parts. I cleaned up my media library and moved the files I wanted to keep onto my NAS and Tinker Board so I could access them over the network. I run Plex server on the Shield now but Plex still doesn't get used very much.
I'm due for a declutter as well. I use Emby a lot for repeat viewing of things, the kid has a lot of faves there too. They mostly use Hulu and Amazon. They'd not used Netflix since January so I cancelled it.

I got a trial for stranger things this morning. Probably get another when Witcher hits unless they have really trashed it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #29038 of 29506 Old 07-05-2019, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It is possible the version on Pluto TV is the same. But don't quote me on that.
Lifeforce on Pluto:
Code:
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media
Codec ID                                 : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size                                : 1.38 GiB
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 1 695 kb/s

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : [email protected]
Format settings                          : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames        : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                                 : 14 s 876 ms
Source duration                          : 1 h 56 min
Bit rate                                 : 941 kb/s
Nominal bit rate                         : 1 600 kb/s
Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Original width                           : 768 pixels
Height                                   : 720 pixels
Original height                          : 432 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Variable
Frame rate                               : 30.000 FPS
Minimum frame rate                       : 6.000 FPS
Maximum frame rate                       : 4 736.842 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.034
Stream size                              : 2.22 MiB (0%)
Source stream size                       : 1.30 GiB (94%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 152 r2857 5b5d69f
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=13 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=150 / keyint_min=76 / scenecut=0 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=abr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=1600 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=1800 / vbv_bufsize=1920 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
mdhd_Duration                            : 14876
Codec configuration box                  : avcC

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AAC LC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID                                 : mp4a-40-2
Source duration                          : 1 h 56 min
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 93.4 kb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 160 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel layout                           : L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 77.9 MiB (6%)
Source stream size                       : 77.9 MiB (6%)
mdhd_Duration                            : 6994966
ADU likes this.
post #29039 of 29506 Old 07-05-2019, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This month on Svengoolie - Saturday nights on MeTV

7/6 - Mr. Sardonicus
7/13 - The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb
7/20 - Village of the Giants
7/27 - Forbidden Planet
Everyone summon your mental powers Saturday night.. Ken needs a good recording of 'Mr. Sardonicus', the horror/sci-fi/kung-fu gods demand it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	make it so dcdf5b42acb95fa3551faa23a2f1e9e4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	2587970  
ADU, darthrsg and Ken.F like this.

post #29040 of 29506 Old 07-05-2019, 10:39 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, problem is this picture doesn't belong to Sony, it's a Cannon film. North American TV rights belong to Paramount, and film rights for this era belong to Warner Bros. A lot of older Paramount still pops up on Epix. If by chance it falls under Warners than Cinemax or possibly HBO. Pay TV channels are far from dead. Most free w/ads services seem to be recycling the same movies over and over.

All that being said, a lot of movies have no scope ratio broadcast copies if they came before wide-screen TV's.
Fwiw, the Scream Factory Blu-ray of Lifeforce is in ~2.35:1 scoped ratio. But it can cost a pretty penny, if you don't catch it on sale.

I watched a little bit of the cropped version on Pluto, and the scoped HD version is definitely my preference, even though it's not a perfect transfer.

Quote:
Lifeforce on Pluto:

Width : 1 280 pixels
Original width : 768 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Original height : 432 pixels
Not sure which values are really relevant here. But it appears it's being upscaled from 768x432 SD to 1280x720 (aka 720p) HD.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 07-06-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page