October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 987 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20840Likes

post #29581 of 30314 Old 09-29-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2217 Post(s)
Liked: 3449
Knowing how October can be work wise, I thought a little movie buffering was in order. So...last night I watched 'Zombieland', which I had never seen before. Aggressive zombies and funny as hell. I wasn't expecting to be a funny as it was. I'm ready for the new one. Fear the walking dead ?, fear the running dead. A first rate zom-com.
ADU, darthrsg, BornSlippyZ and 2 others like this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."

Last edited by tenthplanet; 09-29-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29582 of 30314 Old 09-29-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3097 Post(s)
Liked: 4870
Family watched Crawl tonight. Lots of ducking under the blanket and shrieking.
post #29583 of 30314 Old 09-29-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Family watched Crawl tonight. Lots of ducking under the blanket and shrieking.
But is that good shrieking like "Don't go into that room" type of shrieking ?
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29584 of 30314 Old 09-29-2019, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

So it sounds like we're more or less on the same page on this. Ie, good presentation, and worth at least a look for that. But maybe a little lacking in the story, VFX, and supernatural thrills departments. Bana's Brooklyn accent started to get to me after awhile as well. The gal who plays Bana's wife, Olivia Munn, is a hotty btw. But she was largely wasted in this. And used mostly as window-dressing.

Thanks very much ADU for that in-depth response quoting reviews from other users on here, that will pretty well cement Deliver Us From Evil as my Halloween night pick this year to cap off the marathon! Also I feel that the very title of the movie is just perfect to end things in October.

I have a couple of friends who want to go see a movie on Tuesday afternoon since it is a mutually convenient day for us to do so, and there has been some talk of the possibility of seeing IT Chapter Two, so my marathon might kick off with that movie if things go that way. Otherwise I will start things off with The Sixth Sense, a movie which I have not seen since the original theatrical run 20 years ago.

Looking forward to getting things going, and as always, I'm sure there will be extra stuff not on my original list that I will throw in as the month goes on and as time permits!
ADU, Bob McLaughlin and RobKnapp like this.
post #29585 of 30314 Old 09-29-2019, 08:57 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mice View Post
Thanks very much ADU for that in-depth response quoting reviews from other users on here, that will pretty well cement Deliver Us From Evil as my Halloween night pick this year to cap off the marathon! Also I feel that the very title of the movie is just perfect to end things in October.
You're most welcome. And I'll be curious to hear your take on it.
The Mice likes this.

ADU
post #29586 of 30314 Old 09-29-2019, 10:21 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Since I had such a positive experience with Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, I've been poking around for some other good period type films that I haven't seen yet. And have run across a few that look somewhat interesting.

All of these come from a site called Willow and Thatch, which specializes in period movies and TV. I have no idea who runs the site, or why. It was the first link to come up though when I Googled for "gothic period films", and seemed to have a few interesting suggestions. I was actually looking for mostly older films, but these are all fairly recent.

The Thirteenth Tale (2013) stars Vanessa Redgrave as an aged writer dictating her last story on her death-bed.

The Reflecting Skin (1990) is a dose of rural American gothic, set in the 1950's, as seen through the eyes of a young boy.

The White Ribbon (2009) is about a German village that begins to unravel after a series of unexplained "pranks" occur, just before the first world war.

The Awakening (2011) is about a paranormal investigator in the 1920's, looking into some weird happenings at an English boarding school.

"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (2018) is an Australian mini-series based on the same novel as the 1975 Peter Weir film, about a group of schoolgirls who disappear while exploring a large rock formation in the outback, in the year 1900.

The Wyvern Mystery (2000) is a 19th century tale about a young woman who becomes entangled in a dark family secret, after refusing the advances of her guardian, and becoming romantically involved with his two sons.

"The Living and the Dead" (2016) is a British mini-series about a young couple who begin experiencing paranormal phenomena on the ancestral farm they've just inherited, in 1894.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WYVERN.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	2621672  

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 09-30-2019 at 10:40 AM.
post #29587 of 30314 Old 09-29-2019, 11:08 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Another pretty good one that I watched last year was 2015's Mr. Holmes, with Ian McKellen as the titular (but now retired) detective, attempting to suss out one final case that was never fully solved before his memory goes.

ADU
post #29588 of 30314 Old 09-30-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
But is that good shrieking like "Don't go into that room" type of shrieking ?
Yes.
ADU, tenthplanet and BornSlippyZ like this.
post #29589 of 30314 Old 09-30-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 934
Looking to kick off with a midnight start tonight (well, midnight-ish )

Not sure what flick will be the chosen one quite yet. Will consult with the wife on that after work today.

Long Live Horrorfest!!
ADU, darthrsg, tenthplanet and 4 others like this.

OG October Horrorfest Contributor
post #29590 of 30314 Old 09-30-2019, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Howdy fine folks. Been out for a while and missed this page the most. Took a trip up to Cape Cod and married my fiancee of 10 years. She's from TX, and I'm from SC so everyone kept asking, why Cape Cod? Because having done a lot of research on the area and looking at pics, etc, I came to the conclusion that it may very well be my happy place. After 7 nights there, I can confirm, it is quite in my wheelhouse in many ways. Particularly fell in love with the area around Nauset Beach. I may want to live there at some point.

OK, back on topic. I watched Psycho II yesterday (available to stream via HBO). After all these years, I can't believe I'd never given it a shot. To state the obvious, it is not as good as the original. Hitchcock's suspenseful atmosphere creation is just too good, and though part 2 is probably a better than average sequel, it is a bit silly at times. Still, it is worth watching for Perkins and Meg Tilly (we need a heart eyes emoji), who is looking amazingly fetching throughout. Again, not bad, but never really scary.
Spoiler!
ADU, darthrsg, ApolloCreed and 5 others like this.
post #29591 of 30314 Old 09-30-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Watched Prisoners (2013) today. Freaking awesome movie. Directed by one of my favorite directors. Excellent sound mix and music too. Some gunshots really make you jump.
post #29592 of 30314 Old 09-30-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
Off-topic...

Unfortunately had a real-life horror story last Wednesday night. I heard my wife screaming and I ran back to the bedroom and found my 14-year old daughter laying on the floor with blood everywhere, with a nasty 4-inch open wound just off to the side of her right knee, you could actually see her bones and muscles it was so deep.

Took us a few minutes to figure out what happened because my daughter's bedroom is so messy, but she had stumbled and fell knee-first onto an open pair of scissors, neatly slicing through her upper leg flesh. I have seen a lot of fake horror movie gore but this was something else entirely, her open knee looked like something you'd see in a butcher shop display case. Luckily my daughter was conscious and didn't seem to be in much pain, she was the calmest person in the room.

I called 911 while my wife held a towel against the wound, in a few minutes paramedics showed up, luckily no artery had been cut, so despite the blood she wasn't going to bleed to death. They loaded her into the ambulance and we went to the hospital, got examined, but then we had to wait for nearly 2 hours in the hospital for results of the X-ray and CT scan to see if there was any damage to the joint, ligaments, tendons. I spent that whole time wondering if my daughter was ever going to walk normally again. By some miracle it turned out there was only skin and muscle damage, no damage to the joint or bone, so they stitched up the muscles and then did a second set of stitches (ten!) to hold her skin together. Sent home at 2:30 AM.

A nasty scare but she got lots of rest over the weekend and went back to school today on crutches. In another week she'll be getting the outer stitches removed (the internal ones just get absorbed).

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #29593 of 30314 Old 09-30-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
Off-topic...

Unfortunately had a real-life horror story last Wednesday night. I heard my wife screaming and I ran back to the bedroom and found my 14-year old daughter laying on the floor with blood everywhere, with a nasty 4-inch open wound just off to the side of her right knee, you could actually see her bones and muscles it was so deep.

Took us a few minutes to figure out what happened because my daughter's bedroom is so messy, but she had stumbled and fell knee-first onto an open pair of scissors, neatly slicing through her upper leg flesh. I have seen a lot of fake horror movie gore but this was something else entirely, her open knee looked like something you'd see in a butcher shop display case. Luckily my daughter was conscious and didn't seem to be in much pain, she was the calmest person in the room.

I called 911 while my wife held a towel against the wound, in a few minutes paramedics showed up, luckily no artery had been cut, so despite the blood she wasn't going to bleed to death. They loaded her into the ambulance and we went to the hospital, got examined, but then we had to wait for nearly 2 hours in the hospital for results of the X-ray and CT scan to see if there was any damage to the joint, ligaments, tendons. I spent that whole time wondering if my daughter was ever going to walk normally again. By some miracle it turned out there was only skin and muscle damage, no damage to the joint or bone, so they stitched up the muscles and then did a second set of stitches (ten!) to hold her skin together. Sent home at 2:30 AM.

A nasty scare but she got lots of rest over the weekend and went back to school today on crutches. In another week she'll be getting the outer stitches removed (the internal ones just get absorbed).

Sheesh. Hope she gets relief. Glad it doesn't seem like a permanent thing.
post #29594 of 30314 Old 09-30-2019, 02:09 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Off-topic...

Unfortunately had a real-life horror story last Wednesday night...
Wow! Musta been quite a scare. Hope she makes a speedy recovery.

I was very accident prone as a kid. So definitely sympathize with your situation.

ADU
post #29595 of 30314 Old 09-30-2019, 02:55 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post
Looking to kick off with a midnight start tonight (well, midnight-ish )

Not sure what flick will be the chosen one quite yet. Will consult with the wife on that after work today.

Long Live Horrorfest!!
I'll be curious to see what y'all come out with, because beyond Sleepy Hollow, and maybe some old Hammery/Cormany type stuff, I'm still pretty stumped. My plan though is to look at what's on the free streaming sites (ie Crackle, TRC, Vudu, Tubi, Shout Factory...) tomorrow, because new stuff gets added and subtracted each month. And go from there.

I watched the 3 From Hell and Midsommar trailers btw. And the latter looks doable. I still have not seen A Quiet Place or Beyond Skyline. And wouldn't mind hitting those as well. P&P&Z and Red Sands are also possibilities for maybe later in the month. Beyond that, I'm not sure. I just know I'd like to watch somethin old (with some mold and warts growing on it) and scary.

I started to watch a little of the 1990 Night of the Living Dead over the weekend, and quickly realized I'd already seen it a few times before. So I oink'd it.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 09-30-2019 at 03:14 PM.
post #29596 of 30314 Old 09-30-2019, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Off-topic...

Real life horror is never fun, glad she is getting better.

post #29597 of 30314 Old 09-30-2019, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
I'll be curious to see what y'all come out with, because beyond Sleepy Hollow, and maybe some old Hammery/Cormany type stuff, I'm still pretty stumped. My plan though is to look at what's on the free streaming sites (ie Crackle, TRC, Vudu, Tubi, Shout Factory...) tomorrow, because new stuff gets added and subtracted each month. And go from there.

I watched the 3 From Hell and Midsommar trailers btw. And the latter looks doable. I still have not seen A Quiet Place or Beyond Skyline. And wouldn't mind hitting those as well. P&P&Z and Red Sands are also possibilities for maybe later in the month. Beyond that, I'm not sure. I just know I'd like to watch somethin old (with some mold and warts growing on it) and scary.

I started to watch a little of the 1990 Night of the Living Dead over the weekend, and quickly realized I'd already seen it a few times before. So I oink'd it.
A Quiet Place is worth your time, make sure it's dead quiet when you watch, it adds to the atmosphere.
ADU and RobKnapp like this.

post #29598 of 30314 Old 10-01-2019, 03:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
I Spit on Your Grave (1978)
F.T.V. Blu-Ray, iTunes , YouTube, Goggle Play
7.5/10

Exploitation, Grindhouse, Revenge, Horror

A writer who is brutalized during her cabin retreat seeks revenge on her attackers, who left her for dead.
She screams, she suffers, and in one scene shambles home holding her arms up in sheer disgust at her violated, torn body. Feminist revenge is the best part of this film . And once Camille Keaton (Jennifer) seeks revenge, she hits "the deep end" and never comes back from it. "I Spit on your Grave" offers something that is very visceral and it's a cult classic. In spite of the repetitiveness it gets caught in around the halfway mark, "I Spit on Your Grave" is still an effective and shocking bit of revenge cinema with Camille Keaton burning herself into my brain as this gorgeous woman who becomes a stone cold punisher on the misogynistic men who ravaged her.

+ I Spit on Your Grave (1978)

Vision: Man Cave: XBR-65" Sony Z9D HDR 3-D Bedroom: Sony KDL- 65" W850A 3-D
Sound: Denon AVR-X4500H Front: Klipsch Epic CF-4 Rear: Klipsch Epic CF-2 Center: Klipsch KV-4 SuB: Klipsch KSW-15
Smarts: Sony UBP-X700 4K 3-D Player Dolby Vision, AppleTV-4K , PS4 , PS3 , XBOX 360 , Wii , Monster Power HTS3600 MKII
post #29599 of 30314 Old 10-01-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23 View Post
Howdy fine folks. Been out for a while and missed this page the most. Took a trip up to Cape Cod and married my fiancee of 10 years. She's from TX, and I'm from SC so everyone kept asking, why Cape Cod? Because having done a lot of research on the area and looking at pics, etc, I came to the conclusion that it may very well be my happy place. After 7 nights there, I can confirm, it is quite in my wheelhouse in many ways. Particularly fell in love with the area around Nauset Beach. I may want to live there at some point.
Congratulations....and welcome back!!
Quote:
Off-topic...

Yikes!! Scary indeed. Glad to hear that she'll be okay.

post #29600 of 30314 Old 10-01-2019, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Quote:
Off-topic...

Wow, that's crazy! Glad it seems she will be okay, for the most part at least.

Quote:
Congratulations....and welcome back!!
Thank you!
post #29601 of 30314 Old 10-01-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

And it begins.....we bought the remake for this year's Horrorfest but thought it would be appropriate to check out the original first.

1. Pet Sematary (1989) Amazon Prime (FTV) We've never read the book and to our surprise, neither of us has ever seen this entire movie either. Very strange, I recalled specific scenes but not the story as a whole. Anyway, that made this all the more enjoyable and it was a solid choice to jump start the month. Loved the opening scene of the cemetery (might actually try to recreate it in my yard one year) and there were a number of creepy scenes that hold up well in today's world. Despite some of the wooden acting, we were genuinely freaked out by Gage and his antics. Same with Zelda....
We're doing the remake tonight, so it'll be interesting to see how it holds up. As for the original, I think it deserves a solid 4 Hypodermic Needles

post #29602 of 30314 Old 10-01-2019, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Hey all - I do follow this thread year round but usually only chime in once the festivities begin, unless I actually have something to offer during the year which doesnt happen very much !

I watched a couple of movies this past weekend to start it off since I will be out of town this upcoming weekend. Watched the Pet Sematary remake which I actually enjoyed for the most part. I watched the original a year or two back and as I recall I didnt enjoy it as much as I did when I saw in the theatre when it was first released. Also watched The Curse of La Llorona which I thought was pretty weak.

Anyway - I will have a weekend coming up soon where the family will be out of town and I will have the house to myself yay !! I am looking for some recommendations for horror movies that have some great bass and/or surround mixes as I will be able to crank it as loud as I want and not have to worry about disturbing anyone else.

I am thinking maybe Cabin in the Woods, The Conjuring, and IT but am looking for something I havent seen yet.

TIA !
post #29603 of 30314 Old 10-01-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2303 Post(s)
Liked: 2620
This month on Svengoolie - Saturday nights on MeTV

10/5 - Son of Dr Jekyll
10/12 - The Mummy
10/19 - The Mummy's Hand
10/26 - The Mummy's Ghost
post #29604 of 30314 Old 10-01-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2393 Post(s)
Liked: 2030
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKnapp View Post
I Spit on Your Grave (1978)
F.T.V. Blu-Ray, iTunes , YouTube, Goggle Play
7.5/10

Exploitation, Grindhouse, Revenge, Horror

A writer who is brutalized during her cabin retreat seeks revenge on her attackers, who left her for dead.
She screams, she suffers, and in one scene shambles home holding her arms up in sheer disgust at her violated, torn body. Feminist revenge is the best part of this film . And once Camille Keaton (Jennifer) seeks revenge, she hits "the deep end" and never comes back from it. "I Spit on your Grave" offers something that is very visceral and it's a cult classic. In spite of the repetitiveness it gets caught in around the halfway mark, "I Spit on Your Grave" is still an effective and shocking bit of revenge cinema with Camille Keaton burning herself into my brain as this gorgeous woman who becomes a stone cold punisher on the misogynistic men who ravaged her.

+ I Spit on Your Grave (1978)
The remake was good too. I watched the original on DVD which had a commentary and an extra with the backstory about what caused the movie to be made. Seems the director and a friend rescued a woman from a park where she had ben attacked. Both films are two act movies.

Might watch the quirky Japanese zombie movie new on Shudder to kick things off tonight.
post #29605 of 30314 Old 10-01-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2303 Post(s)
Liked: 2620
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchabby View Post
I am looking for some recommendations for horror movies that have some great bass and/or surround mixes as I will be able to crank it as loud as I want and not have to worry about disturbing anyone else.

I am thinking maybe Cabin in the Woods, The Conjuring, and IT but am looking for something I havent seen yet.

TIA !
Have you seen The Babadook? I remember the surrounds being pretty active on that one.
post #29606 of 30314 Old 10-01-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
Thanks for all the well wishes, guys! My daughter is a tough cookie so she's been hobbling around on her crutches, she'll get those stitches out next week and have a scar and a story.

I still haven't decided what first movie to watch tonight...I have too many choices built up from not watching horror since August!

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #29607 of 30314 Old 10-01-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Have you seen The Babadook? I remember the surrounds being pretty active on that one.
i have but that was when it first came out and i probably didnt my full set up that i do now so may give that another watch - thanks !
ADU likes this.
post #29608 of 30314 Old 10-01-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchabby View Post
i have but that was when it first came out and i probably didnt my full set up that i do now so may give that another watch - thanks !
The Evil Dead remake is an audio/visual delight. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

post #29609 of 30314 Old 10-01-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
The Evil Dead remake is an audio/visual delight. Check it out if you haven't seen it.
thank you - i remember starting this one quite a few years ago with my son and he didnt like the beginning so we turned it off. Will have to give it a spin !
ADU, ApolloCreed and tenthplanet like this.
post #29610 of 30314 Old 10-01-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 945
So glad for another year in this great group and our October watches. This year I will watch as many as possible, its a tough month for me, got a lot to do, plus the baseball playoffs are on which are EXTREMELY important to me, and I gotta get the place in shape for a possible houseguest near the end of the month and so on. Didnt get to watch one today, really hope to watch one tomorrow though to get me started!!!!

never take life seriously
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page