October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 990 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20844Likes

post #29671 of 30318 Old 10-05-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3098 Post(s)
Liked: 4871
Episode 2 of Creepshow. Approved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29672 of 30318 Old 10-05-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 934
3. The Golem (2018) Netflix FTV This one is an Israeli horror flick set in the 1600s about a peaceful Jewish village that falls under attack from some Lithuanian thugs. A young woman from the village enlists the help of an ancient "golem" to protect them and take revenge. Overall, this was a solid movie. Good storytelling, fantastic cinematography and strong acting from the entire cast. It lost steam as it went on and when it was over, if didn't wow me, but left me feeling satisfied. Worth a watch for most.

4. Us (2019) Blu-ray FTV There's no denying that Jordan Peele has something special. His style is unique and thought-provoking. The first thing I noticed about this movie was the score. Absolutely sensational, and this held true throughout. As the movie progresses, it draws you into the story and keeps you guessing as to what exactly is going on. I enjoyed the creepy imagery and also the well-timed humor. Acting was good as well. The movie kind of dragged on as it neared the end though and it started to lose direction a little. Reminded me a little of Triangle overall. Although I like Get Out more than Us, I would still recommend this movie to everyone. Where else can you hear an operatic version of I've Got 5 On It in a horror movie?

All FTVs so far this year for me! Loving everyone's posts...…...keep em coming!

OG October Horrorfest Contributor
post #29673 of 30318 Old 10-05-2019, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Boogeyman (2005) - The consensus of this movie seems to be unfavourable but I wanted to give it a shot regardless. I thought it was middle of the road material as a whole, but props for the soundtrack, settings (especially at night), and the fact that there was always something going on. All that helps boost my rating of this one a little bit. 3 out of 5.

I will try to watch at least two movies today and might pick one that was not on my list. That is the fun part of October sometimes.
RobKnapp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29674 of 30318 Old 10-05-2019, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
I "poached" my next film selection from @The Mice !! Last night. And I am glad I did.

Frogs (1972)

F.T.V 7.5/10 Prime Video

Cast: Ray Milland , Sam Elliott, Joan Van Ark ........Frogs is a 1972 American horror film directed by George McCowan. The film falls into the "eco-horror" category, telling the story of an upper class U.S. Southern family who are victimized by several different animal species, including snakes, birds , and lizards, as well as the occasional butterfly. Nature, the movie suggests, may be justified in exacting revenge on this family because of its patriarch's abuse of the local ecology. The film was theatrically released on March 10, 1972 as a double feature with Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster.

Frogs is another awesomely hilarious entry in the "Terrifying Creatures that are marginally Terrifying genre" lol. One of the best aspects of the flick is the "Toad Cam" that Zooms in on the "frogs" before every death . Super cool & totally hysterical .... The reptiles, amphibians, spiders & birds are never particularly frightening but I'm sure they will make some viewers flinch. "Frogs" is hugely entertaining ; a real "hoot" of a film and underrated , it's a fun time capsule to open."Today the Pond -- Tomorrow -- the World " ! Eco-horror cheesefest....at its finest !!

I Spit on Your Grave (1978) 8/10
Escape Room (2019) 8/10
Wrong Turn (2003) 7.8/10
Wrong Turn 3: Left for Dead (2009) 6/10
Frogs (1972) 7.5/10
Bob McLaughlin and The Mice like this.

Vision: Man Cave: XBR-65" Sony Z9D HDR 3-D Bedroom: Sony KDL- 65" W850A 3-D
Sound: Denon AVR-X4500H Front: Klipsch Epic CF-4 Rear: Klipsch Epic CF-2 Center: Klipsch KV-4 SuB: Klipsch KSW-15
Smarts: Sony UBP-X700 4K 3-D Player Dolby Vision, AppleTV-4K , PS4 , PS3 , XBOX 360 , Wii , Monster Power HTS3600 MKII
post #29675 of 30318 Old 10-05-2019, 01:31 PM

10. The Changeling. FTV? Saw it as a kid but do not remember anything but the well scene. Anyways it's great. A recently widowed father moves into an old mansion to start anew and pretty soon finds himself being asked to help a long dead child. Great locations, score, and story in this slow burning haunted house.

11. Dead Shack. FTV. Another middle of the road zombie movie. It's watchable. A family goes off for a trip to a cabin and discovers their neighbor is keeping her undead family well nourished. To avoid being the next course they gear up to fight back.

12. The Monster Squad. 11,762 views. A classic.

post #29676 of 30318 Old 10-05-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2393 Post(s)
Liked: 2031
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Episode 2 of Creepshow. Approved.
Yes, but I thought story one was a little weak and maybe not enough for Jeffery Combs to do. Story two with DJ Qualls was quite good though.

So I decided to watch "Bloody Birthday" after the recommendation here. Definitely a B-movie I hadn't seen before and well worth the watch for a little time travel to 1980.
darthrsg likes this.
post #29677 of 30318 Old 10-05-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Yes, but I thought story one was a little weak and maybe not enough for Jeffery Combs to do. Story two with DJ Qualls was quite good though.
Same but still enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for dudes in wolf suit technology.
post #29678 of 30318 Old 10-05-2019, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
4. Murders in the Zoo (FTV)

An insanely jealous husband/zoologist uses captive animals to dispose of his adulteress wife's suitors. Released in 1933, this Universal Studios movie predates the Hayes Code, so there are several scenes that are more potent than usual Hollywood fare. For starters, it opens with a man having his mouth brutally sewn shut for daring to try to kiss another man's wife, and is left behind to be consumed by lions. There are many scenes involving actual animals in old-time zoo restraints, so if you're sensitive about animal treatment, you might want to look the other way. There's a particularly brutal fight scene between a group of lions and cheetahs that couldn't have been faked.

However, the most cringe-worthy scenes involve a hapless semi-reformed drunk who talks his way into being the zoo's publicity agent. Never has comic relief been so unfunny, so painful to watch. But it's an already short film so I guess they had to put in some filler material. Anyway, at least it delivers on the title's promise: there are lots of murders using zoo animals as the weapon. Particularly impressive was the scene where a cheating woman is tossed casually into an alligator pit with real alligators waiting. Spoiler alert, it doesn't end well for her! And look for a young Randolph Scott as a scientist, more than a decade before he became known for his many cowboy/western roles.

3 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2019 Horror Movie List
*FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. Next of Kin (1982) 4/5 (FTV)
2. I'll Take Your Dead 2/5 (FTV)
3. Nightmare Cinema 4/5 (FTV)
4. Murders in the Zoo 3/5

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

Last edited by Bob McLaughlin; 10-05-2019 at 02:31 PM.
post #29679 of 30318 Old 10-05-2019, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKnapp View Post

Cast: Ray Milland , Sam Elliott, Joan Van Ark ........Frogs is a 1972 American horror film directed by George McCowan. The film falls into the "eco-horror" category, telling the story of an upper class U.S. Southern family who are victimized by several different animal species, including snakes, birds , and lizards, as well as the occasional butterfly. Nature, the movie suggests, may be justified in exacting revenge on this family because of its patriarch's abuse of the local ecology. The film was theatrically released on March 10, 1972 as a double feature with Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster.

Frogs is another awesomely hilarious entry in the "Terrifying Creatures that are marginally Terrifying genre" lol. One of the best aspects of the flick is the "Toad Cam" that Zooms in on the "frogs" before every death . Super cool & totally hysterical .... The reptiles, amphibians, spiders & birds are never particularly frightening but I'm sure they will make some viewers flinch. "Frogs" is hugely entertaining ; a real "hoot" of a film and underrated , it's a fun time capsule to open."Today the Pond -- Tomorrow -- the World " ! Eco-horror cheesefest....at its finest !!
It's worth pointing out this features Sam Elliot in one of his finest "pre-mustache" roles...
darthrsg, RobKnapp and Ben23 like this.

post #29680 of 30318 Old 10-05-2019, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Speaking of animal attack stuff. Day of the Animals is fantastic and of the same era but if you want a real top notch one look for 1974's Phase IV.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0070531/

That is awesome, thanks, I will make note of these!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKnapp View Post
I "poached" my next film selection from @The Mice !! Last night. And I am glad I did.

Frogs (1972)

F.T.V 7.5/10 Prime Video

Great to hear you really liked this one! I maybe didn't like Frogs quite as much as you but I definitely got some amusement out of it and thought it was worth watching. "Poaching" is one of the great things that comes out of seeing reviews from folks on here, I know on several occasions I've checked out a movie I might otherwise have passed on or not known about had it not been mentioned here. I rather enjoyed your review of Frogs !
darthrsg and RobKnapp like this.
post #29681 of 30318 Old 10-05-2019, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked: 3453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
It's worth pointing out this features Sam Elliot in one of his finest "pre-mustache" roles...
So that's what he looked like.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #29682 of 30318 Old 10-05-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mice View Post
That is awesome, thanks, I will make note of these!

Great to hear you really liked this one! I maybe didn't like Frogs quite as much as you but I definitely got some amusement out of it and thought it was worth watching. "Poaching" is one of the great things that comes out of seeing reviews from folks on here, I know on several occasions I've checked out a movie I might otherwise have passed on or not known about had it not been mentioned here. I rather enjoyed your review of Frogs !
Squirm is another in that pile of eco terror flicks along with Ants, Day of the Animals, Night of the Lepus, Food of the Gods.

I love them all. As a kid they all seemed plausible given the push on environmental changes induced by man. I mean we make giant pumpkins so who's to say we can't make giant rabbits.
ADU, Bob McLaughlin and The Mice like this.
post #29683 of 30318 Old 10-05-2019, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

I did manage to get two in today...

The Langoliers (1995) - This mini TV series adapted into a movie is based on a novel by Stephen King. I'd heard great things about the book but never actually read it. This film wastes little time getting things going, which is remarkable considering that it is three hours in length. A group of 10 passengers awake mid-flight on their way to Boston to find out that all other passengers have disappeared (although their possessions remain on board). They soon discover that the world is barren and work to set things right again. The acting in this film is so-so, as is the overall material, but it had a certain mystery to it that kept me compelled enough to keep watching. In the end, this one ended up being below expectations but still worth seeing once I think. 2.5 out of 5.

Cabin 28 (2017) - Home invasion film based on true events. Despite the questionable acting throughout, this one had the makings of something brilliant for the first while with great tension and good soundtrack choices earlier on. I had goosebumps at one point! One of the masks of the intruders was quite well done and the cabin itself in the movie is beautiful - I wouldn't mind something like that at all. The iffy acting ruins the full potential of the home invaders and certain soundtrack choices during and after the invasion somewhat marred the overall experience of this as a horror film. The final one-third concentrates on interviewing potential witnesses/suspects and concludes with some commentary at the end. Some people may say I am being generous, but since this movie was pretty decent in the first half, I will give it a 3 out of 5.

So far, surprisingly, pretty much every film choice I've made so far this October (with the exception of The Sixth Sense) has been what I would call average middle-of-the-road material. But I still have a lot of first time views coming up this month and will throw more random stuff in where possible, and hopefully I will hit a home run soon with a few movies!

Last edited by The Mice; 10-05-2019 at 08:39 PM.
post #29684 of 30318 Old 10-05-2019, 08:40 PM

Gotta shout out Shakma also.
post #29685 of 30318 Old 10-05-2019, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Gotta shout out Shakma also.
Shocking audiences everywhere!

post #29686 of 30318 Old 10-05-2019, 09:02 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 1592

5. The Cat Girl (1957) - FTV

Interesting little British B&W thriller that's sort of a reworking of Val Lewton's 1942 classic Cat People, starring Barbara Shelley as a woman who believes her soul is possessed by a wild leopard. Kind of a slow starter. But once things get going, and the fur starts flying, it's a pretty decent watch. This was recently added to Shout Factory TV's free streaming lineup...

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/the-ca...816e5c0b9dacde

Picture was a little jittery, but the image quality was otherwise decent for an older film. SQ was not the best, and a bit hard on the ears.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAT.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	2624152  

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 10-05-2019 at 09:08 PM.
post #29687 of 30318 Old 10-05-2019, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7190 Post(s)
Liked: 16333
Quote:
I did manage to get two in today...

The Langoliers (1995) - This mini TV series adapted into a movie is based on a novel by Stephen King. I'd heard great things about the book but never actually read it. This film wastes little time getting things going, which is remarkable considering that it is three hours in length. A group of 10 passengers awake mid-flight on their way to Boston to find out that all other passengers have disappeared (although their possessions remain on board). They soon discover that the world is barren and work to set things right again. The acting in this film is so-so, as is the overall material, but it had a certain mystery to it that kept me compelled enough to keep watching. In the end, this one ended up being below expectations but still worth seeing once I think. 2.5 out of 5.

Cabin 28 (2017) - Home invasion film based on true events. Despite the questionable acting throughout, this one had the makings of something brilliant for the first while with great tension and good soundtrack choices earlier on. I had goosebumps at one point! One of the masks of the intruders was quite well done and the cabin itself in the movie is beautiful - I wouldn't mind something like that at all. The iffy acting ruins the full potential of the home invaders and certain soundtrack choices during and after the invasion somewhat marred the overall experience of this as a horror film. The final one-third concentrates on interviewing potential witnesses/suspects and concludes with some commentary at the end. Some people may say I am being generous, but since this movie was pretty decent in the first half, I will give it a 3 out of 5.

So far, surprisingly, pretty much every film choice I've made so far this October (with the exception of The Sixth Sense) has been what I would call average middle-of-the-road material. But I still have a lot of first time views coming up this month and will throw more random stuff in where possible, and hopefully I will hit a home run soon with a few movies!
I remember watching The Langoliers when it originally aired. Used to love and look forward to Stephan King miniseries. The characters seem much more fleshed out in the longer miniseries format. The Stand, IT and Storm of the Century are great.

post #29688 of 30318 Old 10-06-2019, 01:10 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 1592

6. Wind Chill (2007) - FTV

Survival thriller with a paranormal twist. A pair of college students headed home for the holidays become trapped on an old deserted highway after their car is forced off the road by a ghostly driver.

A little predictable (for anyone who's watched "The Twilight Zone" or "Outer Limits"), and maybe a bit too long. But otherwise, not too badly done. I watched this free on Crackle. But there was something apparently wrong with the encode that caused the picture to keep shifting from light to dark, which made this difficult to watch.

ADU
post #29689 of 30318 Old 10-06-2019, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 14299
Watched 'Spider Baby' the other night. If I didn't know Sid was in it I probably would not have recognized him. And the movie was actually ok.

Make me grow brainiac fingers, but with more hair!
post #29690 of 30318 Old 10-06-2019, 07:23 AM

13. My Soul To Keep. FTV. Read this was family friendly and can report it is. A young man is convinced there's something in his house after his soul. His older sister isn't helping ease his mind when she bails and leaves him home alone. He gears up to face it down. It's a really decent little movie and I always like it when a child faces the great evil. Little bit Home Alone, little bit The Gate.

14. Annabelle Comes Home. FTV. Another solid entry in the Wan-verse. This had a really good setup with kids being left alone in the Warrens artifact room. You can only imagine how this plays out if you've seen any of the other movies. Really good stuff here, felt similar to Ouija sequel which was pretty awesome but we get more Warrens.

post #29691 of 30318 Old 10-06-2019, 07:42 AM

The Conjuring Universe is legit. As of, what I've seen only one is "weak". The first Annabelle, BUT they've really turned it into something.

Spoiler!
Bob McLaughlin likes this.
post #29692 of 30318 Old 10-06-2019, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I remember watching The Langoliers when it originally aired. Used to love and look forward to Stephan King miniseries. The characters seem much more fleshed out in the longer miniseries format. The Stand, IT and Storm of the Century are great.

Yeah, even though The Langoliers was average material (at least to me), the story was certainly compelling enough that I didn't mind the three hour watch. Always good when they have that extra time to develop the story. Storm of the Century was another one that I've seen in the bargain bin a few times not that long ago (it comes bundled with a few other movies), but now that you have mentioned it, maybe I need to go back and hopefully still find it there.

Quote:
14. Annabelle Comes Home. FTV. Another solid entry in the Wan-verse. This had a really good setup with kids being left alone in the Warrens artifact room. You can only imagine how this plays out if you've seen any of the other movies. Really good stuff here, felt similar to Ouija sequel which was pretty awesome but we get more Warrens.

I remember seeing this in theatres where there were several young women in the audience and it was quite funny to see and hear them let out a scream at certain parts of the movie! I still get a laugh out of the experience. Pretty decent film for sure. I thought the original Annabelle was good as well, probably The Nun is the weakest one IMHO of that universe of movies. But even it was okay with good settings and a dark brooding atmosphere.
post #29693 of 30318 Old 10-06-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

5. Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween (FTV)

Once again the creations of R.L. Stine leap off the page of the popular Goosebumps books to wreak havoc in a small town, and it's up to three plucky minors to fix it. If you liked the first Goosebumps, you'll probably enjoy this, although it's a bit looser and faster, less reverent, and more funny than scary. Produced by Sony Animation Studios, this is a live action film with a glut of CGI effects that range from childish to seamlessly impressive.

Still, there's a lot going for this movie: the technology of Nikola Tesla is a major plot point, the quirky neighbor's (the always funny Ken Jeong) over-the-top Halloween yard display, Slappy the evil ventriloquist dummy, bullies getting their due, talking pumpkins and some nightmarish green-faced witches. The stakes are never particularly high (after all this is a rated PG film starring children) but you'll find yourself in a great Halloween mood. My daughters loved it!

3 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2019 Horror Movie List
*FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. Next of Kin (1982) 4/5 (FTV)
2. I'll Take Your Dead 2/5 (FTV)
3. Nightmare Cinema 4/5 (FTV)
4. Murders in the Zoo 3/5
5. Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween 3/5 (FTV)

Last edited by Bob McLaughlin; 10-06-2019 at 08:53 AM.
post #29694 of 30318 Old 10-06-2019, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7190 Post(s)
Liked: 16333
Anna and the Apocalypse. Three words. Christmas. Zombies. Musical. If that doesn't warm your chestnuts I don't know what will. Takes a bit, a little too long of a bit, to get going. But then the cheeky fun begins. The more egg nog the better this movie gets. Not as good as Shaun. But not terrible either. Was cool seeing the old Orion opening logo. Get your yuletide this Halloween.

post #29695 of 30318 Old 10-06-2019, 01:04 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4676 Post(s)
Liked: 4550
Quote:
Storm of the Century was another one that I've seen in the bargain bin a few times not that long ago (it comes bundled with a few other movies), but now that you have mentioned it, maybe I need to go back and hopefully still find it there.
One scene is a long town debate about what to do. I remember thinking it was a remarkably intelligent bit of television.

-Bill
darthrsg, BornSlippyZ and The Mice like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #29696 of 30318 Old 10-06-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked: 2152
I absolutely love seeing this page blow up during October!! You guys never fail to put up some great movies!!!

I kinda got a slow start but soo far I watched,

The Shining 4k (gotta watch it with the OG channel track the other one is odd for some reason), great disc overall!!

The Blair Witch Project, best served at night lol!

Halloween 3 Season if the Witch, never gets old with this creepy 80’s cheese fest!

Predators, This movie gets better with age I think! Fun cast too!

Prometheus, Gotta watch something after decorating and folding laundry lol! True horror!

In other news, one of my amps went Tango Uniform on one of my Subs! HSU has a great warranty on them soo I guess I gotta make due with two subs lol!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend and enjoying October!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #29697 of 30318 Old 10-06-2019, 02:27 PM

That Orion logo is popping up more and more.

Time for the return of Golan Globus.

BornSlippyZ and Ben23 like this.
post #29698 of 30318 Old 10-06-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2393 Post(s)
Liked: 2031
How many movies have we seen so far opening with a young woman running through a forest pursued by something? You probably don't have enough fingers to count. But in "The Furies" (Shudder) there might actually be some fingers missing. If you're looking for gore you probably found this one already. Takes about 20 minutes to become coherent for certain reasons and the opening cliche is just a few minutes.
post #29699 of 30318 Old 10-06-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
How many movies have we seen so far opening with a young woman running through a forest pursued by something? You probably don't have enough fingers to count. But in "The Furies" (Shudder) there might actually be some fingers missing. If you're looking for gore you probably found this one already. Takes about 20 minutes to become coherent for certain reasons and the opening cliche is just a few minutes.
https://youtu.be/E5n-dO0uiAo
Just finished it. Liked it a lot.
post #29700 of 30318 Old 10-06-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 945
My 4th watch of the month, MOH Incident On and Off A Mountain Road.

While driving at night along a lonely road through the mountains, Ellen gets distracted by her radio and hits a car parked on the road. She faints and looks for help since her car does not start again. She meets Moonface pulling a woman in the woods. He's a deranged monster-like man that collects human bodies. She is abducted by Moonface, but she recalls the survival lessons of her husband Bruce as she faces and fights back against the killer.

Gorey and gruesome at times. Pretty good for an hour thing. I enjoyed it, although some of the scenes in the woods could have been lighter and not such fast cutting every half second, a complaint i seem to have a lot!!

never take life seriously
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page