October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 994 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20829Likes

post #29791 of 30307 Old 10-12-2019, 02:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2215 Post(s)
Liked: 3443
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKnapp View Post
Wrong Turn 4: Bloody Beginnings (2011)

F.T.V. Blu-Ray

Follows a group of friends that decide to go snowmobiling during their winter break. They make a "wrong turn", getting lost in a storm.
Quintessential viewing for gorehound's. Beyond the genuinely impressive opening sequence, there's all sorts of barbed wire inspired sadism. The gore scenes are particularly well done. Old school Practical effects with real blood work and real prosthetics.
I watched the special features. 'Making Another Wrong Turn'.
I have to add that writer and director Declan O'Brien found the most epic location to film "Wrong Turn 4" . Filmed at the abandoned ( Brandon Asylum for the Insane) "I am not making this up".... in Brandon, Manitoba ,Canadian province. No regrets watching this awesome trashy horror movie. 6.5/10

Darling (2016)

F.T.V. Prime Video

Director: Mickey Keating Writer: Mickey Keating Stars: Lauren Ashley Carter, (Jug-Face), Brian Morvant, Sean Young,(Dune) Larry Fessenden.

Mickey Keating's psychological horror tale Darling is a stylish piece of cinema with a spooky atmosphere. Presented in glorious, glossy black and white, the film follows a young woman (Lauren Ashley Carter) as she housesits a massive New York home where the previous tenant, also a young woman, committed suicide. Cooped up all alone, the woman begins to experience strange hallucinations that have deadly results.

Lauren Ashley Carter is a revelation. Reminiscent of a mix of Catherine Deneuve in Repulsion and Audrey Hepburn at Breakfast at Tiffany's . Darling relies heavily on Carter's ability to convey emotion through her facial features, and she excels in doing so. She tells the story through her haunting stare and methodical movements in a way that makes dialogue almost unnecessary. The manner in which her eyes bulge when certain things set her off, or the way her movements slightly change whenever situations grow more and more tense is extremely impressive.

Carter rises to new heights of performance here, carrying the story with a confidence and depth that captivates for the entire 78 minutes. The film is most certainly "art house horror", and a terrific headtrip of a flick.8/10

I Spit on Your Grave (1978) 8/10
Escape Room (2019) 8/10
Wrong Turn (2003) 7.8/10
Wrong Turn 3: Left for Dead (2009) 6/10
Frogs (1972) 7.5/10
Shakma (1990) 6.5/10
Midsommar (2019) 8.5/10
The Valley of Gwangi (1969) 8/10
Gorgo (1961) 7.5/10
Wrong Turn 4: Bloody Beginnings (2011) 6.5/10
Darling (2016) 8/10
THO: "Wrong Turn..Drink !"
Filmed in an abandoned asylum, intriguing and yet inviting the universe to well
darthrsg, BornSlippyZ and RobKnapp like this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29792 of 30307 Old 10-12-2019, 02:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
Does the tv show American Horror Story 1984 count as a watch? I watched the latest episode last nite, really enjoyed it. Good gore, and they are introducing some surprises into it now. I love this show this year, the best in a long time. If its a watch, its number 7 for me this month. I think it should count, they are an hour or a little longer, and they are gorier than a ton of the movies people are watching this month.
AHS bonus points awarded.
yankeeman and BornSlippyZ like this.

post #29793 of 30307 Old 10-12-2019, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2303 Post(s)
Liked: 2620
The Son of Dr. Jekyll (1951) - Upon the death of Dr. Jekyll his orphan infant son Edward is adopted and hidden from his heritage to protect him from his father's past. 30 years later Edward is informed of his true identity and inherits what is left of the Jekyll estate. He decides to clear the family name but the local newspaper and townsfolk don't make it easy. Hyde only makes a brief appearance but the real monsters are the people.

Carnival of Souls (1962) - The survivor of a car crash moves to Utah and starts seeing things that may or may not be real. There are several cuts of this one floating around in the public domain. The 82 minute version that I watched seemed a little too long.

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29794 of 30307 Old 10-12-2019, 08:41 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked: 1590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Last night must have been Young Frankenstein night because I watched it too. Young Frankenstein is mostly a spoof of The Bride of Frankenstein (1935) so I watched that one first...

I skipped YF last year, and possibly the one before. So it seemed about time. Unfortunately, I sold my BD quite some time ago when I needed some quick $$. So I had to borrow the DVD from the library. The B&W SD picture looked great though upscaled. So no complaints there. Sound could always be a little better on the movie.

I'm trying to remember when and where I first saw this. It has been so long. I have a vague recollection of watching it in a college cafeteria or dorm around the late 70's, sitting on those awful plastic chairs. So maybe some 16mm prints were circulated to university campuses at some point(?).

ADU
post #29795 of 30307 Old 10-12-2019, 09:11 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

The Banana Splits reference also got me thinking about some of the other weird stuff I used to watch as a kid...

Weird!

ADU
post #29796 of 30307 Old 10-12-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
The Banana Splits reference also got me thinking about some of the other weird stuff I used to watch as a kid...

Weird!
Sid & Marty Krofft seem to have, uh, shall we say, partaken of certain substances. Don't forget the trippy "Lidsville"!
ADU, darthrsg, tenthplanet and 2 others like this.

"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink
post #29797 of 30307 Old 10-12-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

11. The Spiral Staircase (FTV)

Mute servant at a gothic mansion is pursued by a serial killer who targets handicapped women. Nothing like a 1940's "old dark house" whodunnit movie with an ensemble cast to get you in the mood for Halloween. Dorothy McGuire does an excellent job without saying a single word, her range of expressions are captivating. Veteran actress Ethel Barrymore got an Academy Award nomination for best supporting actress, in another challenging role where she never leaves her bed. And for horror fans of serial killer movies, this film could arguably be called the first slasher, although not big on onscreen violence, the bodies pile up one by one and the tension is high, with a climactic scene that's nerve-wracking. Alfred Hitchcock would be proud of this, or at least jealous he hadn't directed it.

5 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2019 Horror Movie List
*FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. Next of Kin (1982) 4/5 (FTV)
2. I'll Take Your Dead 2/5 (FTV)
3. Nightmare Cinema 4/5 (FTV)
4. Murders in the Zoo 3/5 (FTV)
5. Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween 3/5 (FTV)
6. Joker 4/5 (FTV)
7. Annabelle Comes Home 3/5 (FTV)
8. Midsommar 5/5 (FTV)
9. The Banana Splits Movie 3/5 (FTV)
10. Brightburn 4/5 (FTV)
11. The Spiral Staircase 5/5 (FTV)

ADU, darthrsg, ApolloCreed and 3 others like this.

post #29798 of 30307 Old 10-12-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2392 Post(s)
Liked: 2027
I went thumbing through some of Amazon Prime's 279 pages of horror films and added a few to my watchlist. You all remember "Bite Sized Horror" which was on Netflix? The 2019 installment is "Dark, Deadly and Dreadful". There are very good stories in the anthology and well worth a watch. The "Weeji" one is particularly hilarious.
post #29799 of 30307 Old 10-12-2019, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 942
Eight watch of the month. The Butcher. There are a lot of movies with this name, this one is foreign with sub-titles. Basic no plot torture gore movie. A few people are trapped and slowly tortured and killed by a few men who are recording everything. You see a ton of blood, but not much of the actual action which takes place mostly just off camera. Far from the best, i wouldnt watch this again.

never take life seriously
post #29800 of 30307 Old 10-12-2019, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked: 2152
Ok guys hope everyone is having a great Saturday!!!

I watched a decent amount today and cooked chili!!

Halloween 2, The OG one, and this movie is pretty good and it continues the mayhem with Mikey. With a bit more blood lol!

The Thing, October and a light snow here means time from The Thing!!! And I suddenly would love a Huskie doggo!!

The Blairwitch 2016, I wanted to hear some killer audio while I cooked lol! It delivers!!

Alien Covenant, I really like this movie and David’s middle finger to human and Engineer alike!!

Oh and I got this book recently! Good stuff for Alien fans!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ADU, darthrsg, ApolloCreed and 3 others like this.
post #29801 of 30307 Old 10-12-2019, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Had a nice slightly early Thanksgiving get-together last night with relatives including a few who came from out of town and I hadn't seen in a while. It was a great night with decent company and of course too much food.

As expected, I did not get to watching a movie last night but managed to get two in today for my 14th and 15th films of the month, both solid picks for me...

Child's Play (1988) - I am not totally sure, but I may have seen this before a very long time ago closer to the time when it first came out. For sure in that case, a rewatch was overdue, and I ended up being quite happy to visit this one again. It kept me engaged right from the start and never let go. The story was cohesive and well thought out without being anything deep, just a good fun horror flick. Chucky was particularly diabolical and was quite adept in the first half of the movie making the kid look bad. The scene with Chucky and the police detective in the car was a great sequence and the final act of the movie was thrilling in spots. Overall I quite enjoyed this and really cannot find fault in it. 5 out of 5.

Suspiria (1977) - Italian horror directed by Dario Argento. An American student flies overseas to Germany to attend a ballet school where there end up being some strange goings-on. The movie does a good job of setting the tone from early on. Eventually a couple of the students try to figure out what is really going on at the school and end up getting more than they bargain for! This movie is something of an oddity for sure but features a great soundtrack and is gory and grotesque at times. A very good 70's horror film for sure. 4 out of 5.

We'll see what my next movie is on Sunday night, at the moment I am leaning towards either The Rig or perhaps the 2013 Carrie remake which I have not yet seen. Or maybe something else entirely depending on mood!
post #29802 of 30307 Old 10-12-2019, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post
Ok guys hope everyone is having a great Saturday!!!

I watched a decent amount today and cooked chili!!

Halloween 2, The OG one, and this movie is pretty good and it continues the mayhem with Mikey. With a bit more blood lol!

The Thing, October and a light snow here means time from The Thing!!! And I suddenly would love a Huskie doggo!!

The Blairwitch 2016, I wanted to hear some killer audio while I cooked lol! It delivers!!

Alien Covenant, I really like this movie and David’s middle finger to human and Engineer alike!!

Oh and I got this book recently! Good stuff for Alien fans!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love the ending of Alien Covenant, a real H____ S____ this is not going to be good in the future.
darthrsg and BornSlippyZ like this.

post #29803 of 30307 Old 10-13-2019, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Well I did GORGO and a TOHO production Attack of the Mushroom People ' so bad its good' I love the Japanese acting. Also we had the 1999 Mummy movie for out family Fear Fest Friday night. Great fun movie and some scary parts.
ADU, darthrsg, tenthplanet and 2 others like this.
post #29804 of 30307 Old 10-13-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

12. The Shining

Failed writer takes job as winter caretaker at a remote Colorado haunted hotel with his psychic son and frazzled wife. There's probably no point to reviewing such a well-known movie with so many classic scenes that have been analyzed to death, so just a few thoughts. The new 4k transfer is simply amazing. I really felt like I was seeing this film the way it was intended for the first time. Not only was the image quality excellent for something filmed 40 years ago, but the colors popped more than previous versions. Never has the yellow Volkswagen looked so yellow, and the blood from the elevator scene so richly crimson.

I got to meet actor Danny Lloyd last year at a smaller convention and had a surprising amount of one-on-one time to talk with him, so it was cool seeing someone in the movie that I've had an actual conversation with. This viewing was also a special treat for me because it was the first time my teenage daughter had seen the movie, and she loved it. I showed her 2001 earlier this year, and she's now convinced Stanley Kubrick is the greatest filmmaker who ever lived. I think I'll wait a few more years until she's ready for "A Clockwork Orange"!

5 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2019 Horror Movie List
*FTV denotes first-time viewings
1. Next of Kin (1982) 4/5 (FTV)
2. I'll Take Your Dead 2/5 (FTV)
3. Nightmare Cinema 4/5 (FTV)
4. Murders in the Zoo 3/5 (FTV)
5. Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween 3/5 (FTV)
6. Joker 4/5 (FTV)
7. Annabelle Comes Home 3/5 (FTV)
8. Midsommar 5/5 (FTV)
9. The Banana Splits Movie 3/5 (FTV)
10. Brightburn 4/5 (FTV)
11. The Spiral Staircase 5/5 (FTV)
12. The Shining 5/5

post #29805 of 30307 Old 10-13-2019, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 1314
The
Neon
Demon

F.T.V. Prime Video

Director: Nicholas Winding Refn
Cast: Elle Fanning, Jena Malone, Keanu Reeves, Abbey Lee, and Bella Heathcote

An aspiring model, Jesse, is new to Los Angeles. However, her beauty and youth, which generate intense fascination and jealousy within the fashion industry, may prove themselves sinister.

This film definitely falls in the "love it or hate it" category. It is methodical, dark, and forces the viewer to come to their own conclusions. And yet, if you're willing to go where The Neon Demon is taking you, one will have had a mind trip in the weirdest possible directions and a physical reaction to it that is something I rarely ever get with films. It's 100% worth the ride.

To its credit, the film deliberately avoids the horror cliches that first jump to mind, instead stretching for a unique ending you actually won't see coming.

Every frame could be plucked from the screen and placed in between the covers of a very gruesome version of Vogue. The films soundtrack composed by Cliff Martinez is spot on with the tone of the film and ranges from unsettling and scary atmospheres to full on techno.

This film is worth a watch for high-concept , art house horror fans. 8 /10

I Spit on Your Grave (1978) 8/10
Escape Room (2019) 8/10
Wrong Turn (2003) 7.8/10
Wrong Turn 3: Left for Dead (2009) 6/10
Frogs (1972) 7.5/10
Shakma (1990) 6.5/10
Midsommar (2019) 8.5/10
The Valley of Gwangi (1969) 8/10
Gorgo (1961) 7.5/10
Wrong Turn 4: Bloody Beginnings (2011) 6.5/10
Darling (2016) 8/10
The Neon Demon (2016) 8/10

Vision: Man Cave: XBR-65" Sony Z9D HDR 3-D Bedroom: Sony KDL- 65" W850A 3-D
Sound: Denon AVR-X4500H Front: Klipsch Epic CF-4 Rear: Klipsch Epic CF-2 Center: Klipsch KV-4 SuB: Klipsch KSW-15
Smarts: Sony UBP-X700 4K 3-D Player Dolby Vision, AppleTV-4K , PS4 , PS3 , XBOX 360 , Wii , Monster Power HTS3600 MKII
post #29806 of 30307 Old 10-13-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 3096 Post(s)
Liked: 4868
24. I am Legend. Damn shame what they did to that dog. It was the daughters first go around and I want her to see Will Smith as someone besides a Genie.

25. Slumber Party Massacre. Competent slasher with a literal ton of beautiful actresses.

26. Slumber Party Massacre 2. Nowhere near as good as the first but worth a watch because it's terrible in all the right ways.

27. Madman. FTV. Lots of good in this slasher but the bad wins out. It just isn't very compelling, watch SPM instead.

28. Belzebuth. FTV. In the same lane as Deliver Us From Evil but has more gas in the tank. Definitely has some surprises for you while it loosely ties modern tragedies like school shootings to Omen like machinations. One of the stronger FTVs this year.

29. E.T. (guns not walkie talkie version aka American version) Another for the kiddo, the real terror here is young people not crying when Elliot and E.T. say goodbye but crying over slow wifi. Is it horror? Not really but it is set over Halloween and E.T. does scare kids but not as much as an overbearing alien dissecting govt agents.

post #29807 of 30307 Old 10-13-2019, 12:28 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
Sid & Marty Krofft seem to have, uh, shall we say, partaken of certain substances. Don't forget the trippy "Lidsville"!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFMuNkseruo
Wow, Charles Nelson Reilly. I remember him best from game shows like "Match Game" and "Hollywood Squares", and the old "Tonight Show" with Carson. Really smart guy, who was always heavy on the innuendo. As weird and freaky as some of those old shows were, I think I would've been more freaked out by "Barney" and the "Teletubbies".

Haven't watched anymore horror yet. So I'm still stuck at 8. But I picked up Midsommar and The Visit from the lib. And will hopefully get to one or both, today or tomorrow. Yesterday I watched The Lost City of Z, which is not horror. But I think some here might possibly dig it. It is a long movie, and requires some patience to get through. I found it a very worthwhile trip though, with some beautiful visuals and sound along the way. Watch in at least 2k/1080p, if you can.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 10-13-2019 at 07:09 PM.
post #29808 of 30307 Old 10-13-2019, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2392 Post(s)
Liked: 2027
"Midsommar" was last night and on BD so also watched the extra. You all ordered your "Bear in a Cage" I assume.
post #29809 of 30307 Old 10-13-2019, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7187 Post(s)
Liked: 16325
Travel thru the locations of Derry to defeat your opponents. Just remember, they float.

https://www.amazon.com/Monopoly-Thri.../dp/B07QB4SWDZ

post #29810 of 30307 Old 10-13-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 1894
Uncle Fester's moment in Addams Family Values (1993).

darthrsg and RobKnapp like this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #29811 of 30307 Old 10-13-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
Yesterday I watched The Lost City of Z, which is not horror. (Not in colloquial sense anyway.) But I think some here might possibly dig it. It is a long movie, and requires some patience to get through. I found it a very worthwhile trip though, with some beautiful visuals and sound along the way. Watch in at least 2k/1080p, if you can.
Great flick. I read Pitt passed on it for something he was already working on but thought Hunman did great.
ADU, tenthplanet and BornSlippyZ like this.
post #29812 of 30307 Old 10-13-2019, 05:49 PM

Got some carving done.

Last edited by darthrsg; 10-13-2019 at 06:33 PM.
post #29813 of 30307 Old 10-13-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wrong Turn 4: Bloody Beginnings (2011)

F.T.V. Blu-Ray

Wait, you own the KISS pinball machine?!
tenthplanet and BornSlippyZ like this.

post #29814 of 30307 Old 10-13-2019, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post
Wait, you own the KISS pinball machine?!
Yup. Bob , I have been collecting coin operated pinball machines since my late twenties

Every so often I look for an excuse to post machine out of my collection.

For no reason except to amuse oneself; for fun.

Vision: Man Cave: XBR-65" Sony Z9D HDR 3-D Bedroom: Sony KDL- 65" W850A 3-D
Sound: Denon AVR-X4500H Front: Klipsch Epic CF-4 Rear: Klipsch Epic CF-2 Center: Klipsch KV-4 SuB: Klipsch KSW-15
Smarts: Sony UBP-X700 4K 3-D Player Dolby Vision, AppleTV-4K , PS4 , PS3 , XBOX 360 , Wii , Monster Power HTS3600 MKII
post #29815 of 30307 Old 10-13-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Yup. Bob , I have been collecting coin operated pinball machines since my late twenties

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hGDROPM_vY&t=20s
That's sick or whatever the kids are saying.
post #29816 of 30307 Old 10-13-2019, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Very nice! I don't want to hijack this thread, but I own 2 pins myself: Cyclone (1988), and South Park (1998). I'm not particularly good but enjoy playing!
darthrsg, tenthplanet and RobKnapp like this.

post #29817 of 30307 Old 10-13-2019, 08:43 PM

Fun Fact, aka getting the thread back (lol)

The three werewolves in the new Creepshow were modeled after the classic Lon Chaney, the Howling, and the American Werewolf in London types.

Pinball machines, like werewolves, are also tools of the devil. #fullcircle
post #29818 of 30307 Old 10-13-2019, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Fun Fact, aka getting the thread back (lol)

The three werewolves in the new Creepshow were modeled after the classic Lon Chaney, the Howling, and the American Werewolf in London types.

Pinball machines, like werewolves, are also tools of the devil. #fullcircle
Only talking pinball machines are tools of the devil.
Bob McLaughlin and Panson like this.

post #29819 of 30307 Old 10-13-2019, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hGDROPM_vY&t=20s
Dude !
RobKnapp and Panson like this.

post #29820 of 30307 Old 10-13-2019, 09:52 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Got some carving done.

Luv the decor!

Quote:
Great flick. I read Pitt passed on it for something he was already working on but thought Hunman did great.
Hunman did a pretty good job. I don't think Pitt would've been a great fit (though he probably would've boosted the B.O. $$) because the explorer on which Lost City of Z was based, ie Percy Fawcett, was British. I didn't recognize Robert Pattinson from the Twilight movies as Fawcett's companion, Henry Costin. Though his face seemed familiar. He also did a pretty good job. Fawcett's theories have recently been proven to be essentially correct btw. But I digress...
tenthplanet and RobKnapp like this.

ADU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page