The METAL-HEADS thread - Page 85 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 782Likes

post #2521 of 2811 Old 09-30-2017, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 675 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3518 Post(s)
Liked: 3225
NP:

Gravitational Constant: G = 6.67 X 10-8cm -3gm - 1sec-2 by Type O Negative.

Sometimes I forget how much I love this band when I haven't listened to them in a while, one of my all time favorites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 2811 Old 09-30-2017, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 641
post #2523 of 2811 Old 09-30-2017, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

New song from Cannibal Corpse. Brutally heavy. Album out November 17th.

carp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2524 of 2811 Old 09-30-2017, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
New song from Cannibal Corpse. Brutally heavy. Album out November 17th.

Cannibal Corpse - Code of the Slashers

I immediately made the involuntary metal mouth face after the first few notes, had to chuckle at myself.

Love it. I greatly prefer those slow parts of the song.
SmittyJS likes this.
post #2525 of 2811 Old 09-30-2017, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Listening to all of the In Memory Of album. It sounds fantastic.
post #2526 of 2811 Old 10-01-2017, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #2527 of 2811 Old 10-02-2017, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 283
So I have been starting to check out some of the stuff by the opening acts for the upcoming Children of Bodom concert and I came upon this creepy ass video by a band called Carach Angren. Not sure if they have been mentioned before or not. If Pennywise the Clown from "It" was into metal, this is probably what he would listen to:

Spidacat likes this.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
post #2528 of 2811 Old 10-02-2017, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

So I just read all the lyrics to that song and holy $^&t is it messed up. Not sure what I think about this band yet. I haven't really been into "horror metal" before and combine that with the hit or miss nature of black metal for me and this is something that I don't particularly pay attention to.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
post #2529 of 2811 Old 10-02-2017, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 285
(Death)

I'm curious if you will like this one Smitty. I'm just guessing it might be your style, but I don't know if I have your style pinned down exactly yet. Anyway, I dig it. They are coming to Toronto soon, in a very small venue and saw the announcement and decided to listen to them. I like it a lot.

JoshK on most other audio forums
Quantity only when quality is ensured.
post #2530 of 2811 Old 10-03-2017, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh View Post
I'm curious if you will like this one Smitty. I'm just guessing it might be your style, but I don't know if I have your style pinned down exactly yet.
I like it. It has some good cuts. I like the riff at 15:00. I probably would have bypassed it because of the logo script. That font style usually says raw and poor production. The fault I find with it is the one I find with many DM albums, somewhat thin guitar and buried bass. It doesn't bludgeon me.

When you speak of metal overall, my tastes are all over the place. I like whatever hits me. If you'd said I'd love cinematic black metal I would have said you're crazy. But Xanthochroid's Of Erthe and Axen Act I is one of my favorite albums of the year. So good luck trying to pin me down. But for standard death metal the closer you get to Aeon's Aeons Black the better I'll like it. That album is far and away my favorite DM. Big thick beefy guitar tone, bass usually tracking the guitar, consonant song structure, a little bit of groove, good production. I usually go for mid-paced. I'm big on chugging palm-muted riffs. There's a riff on that new Dyscarnate album at 2:50 of the song Of Mice and Mountains that's a dead-ringer for the Aeon sound.
post #2531 of 2811 Old 10-14-2017, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

(Thrash)

@AudioJosh; you may like this as it has similarities to Vektor.

post #2532 of 2811 Old 10-23-2017, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

(Technical Death)

Just came across this today while browsing around and don't remember them being mentioned before. Either way, kind of a funky tune for a death metal band. I actually kinda like it.

AudioJosh likes this.

post #2533 of 2811 Old 10-23-2017, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

(Thrash)

Lost Society from Finland. Another one of the opening acts for the upcoming Children of Bodom concert. Has some potential IMO.

Last edited by esappy; 10-24-2017 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Posted the wrong video
post #2534 of 2811 Old 10-24-2017, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Going to see Trivium/Arch Enemy Sunday. Bunch of good shows coming to my area over the next few months. GWAR, Scale The Summit, Allegeon/Ne Obliviscaris, Hatebreed, Dream Theater, Cannibal Corpse, Suicide Silence/Winds of Plague, August Burns Red/Born of Osiris, Anthrax/Killswitch Engage, maybe more... Unless plans change, will go to the bolded ones at minimum.
esappy likes this.
post #2535 of 2811 Old 10-24-2017, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidacat View Post
Going to see Trivium/Arch Enemy Sunday. Bunch of good shows coming to my area over the next few months. GWAR, Scale The Summit, Allegeon/Ne Obliviscaris, Hatebreed, Dream Theater, Cannibal Corpse, Suicide Silence/Winds of Plague, August Burns Red/Born of Osiris, Anthrax/Killswitch Engage, maybe more... Unless plans change, will go to the bolded ones at minimum.
That's quite the list there! Enjoy the concert. Let us know how it turns out.

post #2536 of 2811 Old 10-26-2017, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
I played Saxophone for 7 years and bass many years later. But I never sat down long enough either to learn bass clef.

All that stuff, you got put it to some use. 15mins a day or at least 15mins every other day would be a great start. I am in the same boat as all of you. It will take me a while before I can be comfortable playing on youtube for the masses to destroy me in the comment section. I just thought it would cool after seeing this thread and other posters similar interests. Although my future youtube uploads might be way to soft for everyone here.
I thought I remembered talking about playing somewhere on this thread. Well, I've decided to pick up the axe again and go as far as I can. I got kind of enthused after seeing video of some of the new technology. First up was the Rocksmith program. Being on a Buckethead bender lately I saw YouTube videos of people getting progressively better learning Buckethead from Rocksmith. So I bought it. I also started reading up on how to attach the guitar to the computer and use software as the amp and effects instead of being stuck in a particular room with my amp. I came across ToneBridge, which is a free iPad app that contains tones from over 1,000 songs. It makes your guitar sound like any of them. Then I bought a device called an iRig for $25 that's half the size of a pack of cigarettes that attaches my guitar to the iPad and outputs to either headphones, an amp or powered speakers. Now there's no putzin' around trying to find the preset or customize the sound. Just search for Van Halen on the app, pick Eruption from the list and stomp on the virtual pedal. Then there's also plenty of software with backing tracks or that let you pull out the guitar. I just have to figure out which one. Also, there are apps with over 1,000,000 song tabs, like Tab Pro. So no more trying to figure things out. In fact, there's even an app that hooks directly into the ToneBridge song, so you can get the sound of the song and the tab for the song right on the iPad. Lastly, I decided to upgrade my axe. I considered A LOT of models. Almost pulled the trigger on a Squier Stagemaster and a Chapman ML-1. But I've been watching this guy and he was trying out an inexpensive Mitchell HD400. This guitar is geared toward metal. He likes it and he is a fantastic player. Just so happens that Guitar Center has them on clearance. Perfect timing ... $299 for the blue one that I got, $279 for the other colors.

I've been knocking the rust off some scales and simple songs. It's amazing how much I've forgotten, but although I'm much slower now, a lot of the technique is still there. Soon I'll have to start setting some progressively harder song goals. I may be more enthused if I pick fresh songs that I never played before. I'm leaning toward a 6-month goal of Holy Wars. We'll see how it goes.
carp and esappy like this.
post #2537 of 2811 Old 10-27-2017, 03:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Glad to see the desire is still alive. I have finally landed a job that will allow me to afford all my hobbies. So finally I wont be all talk. So I am on the hunt for a new bass myself. Then I can finally start playing some of these Metal songs and other styles. Probably wont have anything until next year but I may pick up a cheapy and see how I go.
esappy likes this.
post #2538 of 2811 Old 10-27-2017, 04:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
So I am on the hunt for a new bass myself.
I haven't bought a new instrument in twenty years and what I quickly found is that it's far more of an adventure and far more confusing today. There are so many choices. You can do it the old-fashioned way and go to Guitar Center and try them out, but you only get to try a fraction of what's available. I would have never heard of the Chapman at a retail store. Then I started looking into the Chinese-copy craze from DHGate and AliExpress, which I didn't even know existed. In fact, the guy in the video even has $139 Yngwie copy he likes a lot, but you have to be careful with the Chinese guitars' quality and you can't sell them. Then there is the philosophical problem some people may have to ripping off the original company, but frankly the U.S. and European companies have always ripped off each other's designs (I have an Epiphone copy of a Fender Precision bass), and I'd never pay the original's price anyway. The thing I found about the Chinese price is that you can usually get a slightly used or even a new guitar of superior quality locally or on the Web if you do your homework. That's how I came across the Stagemasters (~$250 used) and Chapman ($399 new - with an ebony fingerboard!). I suspect it's the same with bass.

The other funny thing (shouldn't surprise me - this happens in all fields) is the tone argument. So similar to the subjective vs. objective debate in audio. It was a given that the wood made a big difference when I first started (even though I didn't hear it and couldn't understand it from an electrical standpoint). And you had to have tubes, not SS. Now it seems to have swung to the objectivists side, especially with the accuracy of computers now involved. Real amps and effects are dying. Body wood and fingerboard doesn't seem to matter. It's all about the pickups and the processing for today's generation of players.
post #2539 of 2811 Old 10-27-2017, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It could be that way for guitars but tone woods definitely play a big part in the sound of a bass. They are subtle differences though. When it comes to amps some are very neutral and others are clearly not. That can be a good thing and could be a bad thing depending on what your after. I have bought a lot of basses years ago and learned, just like HT, then I should just buy the one I really want. So for bass guitars that meant a custom bass. I looked at buying from Aliexpress but I would most likely change out all the hardware if I did. So new PU's, tuners and bridge. So that brings the price up closer to some of the custom bass prices. You get what you pay for thats for sure.

So I might order a custom bass this time next year but not sure what I will be doing for the first bass purchase. Might just get a cheapy for now. That can be had before Thanksgiving. Then starts the learning. And to keep things on topic I just want to play like Dominic in about 5 years. lol

post #2540 of 2811 Old 10-27-2017, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

That is a talent I just don't have. I like the choice of Beyond Creation. Unique sound, especially with the bass. Haven't really seen a fretless bass before. Quite interesting.

post #2541 of 2811 Old 10-27-2017, 11:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have always played Fretless verse a fretted and people like this just make me want to get back at it.
post #2542 of 2811 Old 10-28-2017, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My favorite metal bassist is probably John Myung.

Favorite rock is Geddy Lee.

As far as guitars, I'm not that particular. As long as it doesn't have that old fat Gibson neck, has low action, doesn't bite into my arm while seated, middle pickup doesn't get in the way of my picking, is light enough and isn't ugly, I'm a happy camper
carp likes this.
post #2543 of 2811 Old 10-28-2017, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Holy Wars? You must be pretty good now to have the goal of playing that.

Can you play a lot of stuff from Justice? Can you get the guitar to have that super dry crunchy sound?

When I got married (back in 2000) my wife bought me a guitar and amp and I learned some very basic stuff. When I got to the point that I could play the easy riffs from the first 2 minutes of For Whom the Bell Tolls I couldn't progress any further. I kept getting too amped up/excited that I was actually playing it right and the self imposed headbanging made it too hard to keep playing. It was quite a rush even though I sucked. I can't imagine how much fun it would be to be really good.

I wish I was like my sister. She can play anyting by ear on the piano. She hears it once and plays it back perfectly. I always wondered if she could learn to do that on an electric guitar but she has no interest in that kind of music.
chrapladm likes this.
post #2544 of 2811 Old 10-28-2017, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My favorite metal bassist is probably John Myung.

John Myung

Favorite rock is Geddy Lee.

As far as guitars, I'm not that particular. As long as it doesn't have that old fat Gibson neck, has low action, doesn't bite into my arm while seated, middle pickup doesn't get in the way of my picking, is light enough and isn't ugly, I'm a happy camper

2 great pics! Only bummer is that they need to turn UP Myung in the mix on most of their albums since the 90's.
post #2545 of 2811 Old 10-28-2017, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Can you play a lot of stuff from Justice? Can you get the guitar to have that super dry crunchy sound?
Even though Justice is my favorite Metallica album, actually when I was practicing a lot I focused on MoP and RtL. I could play all of the song Master of Puppets except some parts of the solo. But I never considered myself any good because that song doesn't have a lot of big position changes and I could only pull that off because I practiced it incessantly. I don't even think I tried any Justice songs, but maybe I did because I have the tab book for the album. At the time I really wanted to play like SRV and Yngwie, and that just wasn't going to happen, so I mainly stuck with a lot of Zeppelin, Fates Warning, Sabbath. I'm not up to speed enough to pull off MoP now. I'm hoping age hasn't permanently taken that away. Time will tell.

With the advent of programmable amp samples I've found that sound pretty easy to get. My Johnson J-Station was pretty close, but today's technology makes it ridiculously easy to get the sound you want. A lot of good home guitarists use the Line6 HD500X. The free ToneBridge is extremely close with my Hohner. I haven't tried it with the Mitchell yet, but that has hotter pickups, so maybe even closer. Regardless, it's close enough that you'd have to flip between your playing and the real song to tell the difference. Today's technology is pretty amazing ... and cheap. I mean, considering I already had a guitar, an iPad and headphones, an upgrade to letting me sound like whoever I want cost a grand total of $25 (for the iRig ($40 new)).

You should break it out and give it another go. Much more exciting when you can actually sound like the song you're trying to play.

Last edited by SmittyJS; 10-28-2017 at 09:21 AM.
post #2546 of 2811 Old 10-29-2017, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

With the advent of programmable amp samples I've found that sound pretty easy to get. My Johnson J-Station was pretty close, but today's technology makes it ridiculously easy to get the sound you want. A lot of good home guitarists use the Line6 HD500X. The free ToneBridge is extremely close with my Hohner. I haven't tried it with the Mitchell yet, but that has hotter pickups, so maybe even closer. Regardless, it's close enough that you'd have to flip between your playing and the real song to tell the difference. Today's technology is pretty amazing ... and cheap. I mean, considering I already had a guitar, an iPad and headphones, an upgrade to letting me sound like whoever I want cost a grand total of $25 (for the iRig ($40 new)).

You should break it out and give it another go. Much more exciting when you can actually sound like the song you're trying to play.

Woah, that does sound like it would be a lot of fun. Hmmm...
post #2547 of 2811 Old 11-03-2017, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's here. They returned to the same producer they had for Kill, Evisceration Plague and Torture, so it has that heavy sound again.

post #2548 of 2811 Old 11-07-2017, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Going to the Children of Bodom concert tonight with Carach Angren and Lost Society opening. Will let you know tomorrow how it went. \m/
carp likes this.

post #2549 of 2811 Old 11-08-2017, 02:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
My Johnson J-Station was pretty close, but today's technology makes it ridiculously easy to get the sound you want.
Wow that's a blast from the past. A long time ago I dabbled in guitar and bass. I had one of those. I got some nice patches or whatever from some old forums and got some thick heavy rectifier tones. Too bad I sucked at playing. I gave it and my guitar and bass to my stepkid, I don't know if he uses it anymore though.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #2550 of 2811 Old 11-08-2017, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ Yeah, I bought it for the Rectifier sound. Now many casual players play through Amplitube, Guitar Rig, TH3, Line6 HD500X and other computer-based stuff. I've settled on ToneBridge for now. Check out YouTube vids from guitar bloggers like PixxyLixxx and Johnny Anderson (my favorite) to see what kind of sound you can get from computer-based systems. In blind tests even pros can't pick a real tube amp from a Kemper, even with very detailed listening tests, much less while played in a full band. A lot of metal artists, including Alex Skolnick and Eric Peterson of Testament, Devin Townsend and Ola Englund are using Kempers for certain things. I think we're one or two generations (5 years?) from amps becoming nostalgic collectors items or stage decoration. And it all started with Johnson and Line6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page