AVS Forum banner

The METAL-HEADS thread

137K views 3K replies 193 participants last post by  JudasKiss 
#1 · (Edited)
I wanted to start a thread discussing metal. I was thinking it would be cool if people posted their metal background/progression and then posted song/album/artist ideas for the rest of us to look into. With spotify it's so easy to look up almost anything and hear it right away and I'm always looking for my next Opeth. By that, I mean that band you discover and end up buying ALL of their albums. That hasn't happened to me since 2002 with Opeth, but recently I discovered another band Katatonia and I'm digesting 4 of their albums and may end up buying them all.

I think it would be cool if people posted their "metal progression" and then a recommendation.

METAL PROGRESSION

Ok, I have been a metal head all my life. I clearly remember hearing the song Back in Black for the first time when I was in first grade. I was at an older friends house and he had tons of music and we just kept playing the opening part over, and over, and over again. Now days that song seems so tame and of course overplayed, but trust me in 1981 it was the greatest thing I had ever heard!! Soon I heard Highway to Hell and from the point of hearing those 2 songs on, there was no return.

In the early 80's it was all about these bands for me:

AC/DC
Van Halen
Scorpions
Ratt (this was my favorite group in most of elementary school)
Motley Crue
Dio
Ozzy Osbourne
Black Sabbath
Twisted Sister
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Def Leppard (before Hysteria, I still LOVE the High n Dry album)
Dokken
Accept
Boston (yeah, not metal but loved that album)

That older friend was a huge influence on my musical tastes and he LOVED glam metal as you can see. I had no idea that I was missing out on the best metal ever....

One day a video for Metallica cam on MTV. I had heard of Metallica, but had never actually heard a Metallica song all I heard was that they sucked. I was curious and watched the video. What the hell is this? This was not like any metal, or music, that I had ever heard. I was the summer before 9th grade, and I didn't know what to make of it. I'm sure I was just sitting there with my mouth open. I'd like to say I reacted the same as when I heard Back in Black for the first time, but I did not. I didn't hate it, but I didn't get it either. One thing is for sure, it looked nothing like the metal videos I was used to. Where are the girls? The big hair? The make-up? These guys looked really serious and they sounded dark and scary.

Well, throughout high school I was kind of stagnant. I really liked Appetite for Destruction, but other than that I can't remember much of my musical preferences. I wasn't as crazy about all the hair metal anymore and besides since I was still living with my parents I wasn't allowed to listen to any "rock n roll" anyway - it's all the devil's music you know. My friends were into bands like U2 and INXS, and weren't really all that into them anyway. The Razors Edge album by AC/DC got me back into an AC/DC kick, and I got on a huge first 5 album Van Halen Kick.... but I already loved those bands.

I did hear the black album quite a bit senior year and liked it and thought, oh, they figured out how to play this is pretty good.

Finally, my freshman year of college (fall 1992) a friend of mine loaned me a cassette (yeah, that's right a cassette) of the And Justice for All Album. WOW WOW WOW

Man, I was ready for this now. Anytime I was walking on campus I had that album playing for at least 3 months straight. I couldn't believe how good and addicting it was while at the same time I never got sick of it!!! I don't know why I didn't immediately go out and buy their other albums, maybe it was because I was poor... but I think it was because I figured there is no way any of their other stuff is this good.

Finally around Thanksgiving I bought Ride the Lightning and was completely blown away all over again. It may be hard to believe that I had never heard this stuff, but keep in mind their older stuff was NOT played on the radio at that time and other than One there were no older videos, and NO ONE I knew was into this stuff, even the guy that lent me the tape.

Well I listened to Ride the Lightning and And Justice For All non-stop for a few months until I finally bought Master of Puppets. Good lord. You gotta be kidding me. This album was every bit as good as the others, maybe even a touch better!!!!

So for a whole entire year I basically listened to 3 albums and nothing else. Walking around campus, in my dorm room, getting pumped up while warming up for track meets, etc. I would say in my car but I didn't have a cassette player in there... no cd either of course.

Freshman year of college is a big mark in a person's life, so imagine how impactful this music was to me at the time. In a way I'm glad I didn't hear it when I was younger, I think I appreciated it even more since I was older.

I eventually bought Kill em All too, and loved it as well but not on the same level as the big 3.

So, those 3 albums are what shaped my musical tastes from that day forward and are the measuring stick to which all other albums are compared. All have come up short so far....

Ok, from Metallica I later got into:

Dream Theater
Iron Maiden
Slayer
Megadeth
Type O Negative
Tool
Pantera
Iced Earth
Fear Factory

Fear Factory was a big bridge band for me. From them the transition wasn't hard to begin accepting death growl vocals, hell FF first album is a death metal album basically - I'm not crazy about it though...

Fear Factory led me to another "bridge" band, In Flames.

In fact I would say for a person to be able to stomach death vocals, if they can get into Pantera, then Fear Factory, then In Flames first 3 albums then they've done it. That's how the progression worked for me.

From In Flames:

Death
Shadows Fall
Killswitch Engage
Arch Enemy

Around 2002 I found another "game changer" band for me. Opeth

I read so many good things about them online I figured I'd give them a shot so I bought the Still Life album. Not impressed. 2nd time through. Not impressed. 3rd time. Same thing. I was force feeding myself this album because even though I wasn't totally into it there was something about it that made me curious and I kept coming back. Finally it started to click and I was hooked. From there I bought all their albums and for me 5 of their albums are like a giant game of rock paper scissors to decide which one is best.

Morninrise
My Arms Your Hearse
Still Life
Blackwater Park
Deliverance

Great, great albums.

So, now days I listen to a lot of

Amon Amarth
Katatonia
Devin Townsend
Nightwish
Within Temptation
After Forever
The Gathering
Kataklysm

But I still listen to a ton of stuff from before. I don't stop listening to music that I like, I mix it back in from time to time. Tonight I might listen to any of these albums: Chemical Wedding, Aenima, Whoracle, Powerslave, Falling Into Infinity, October Rust, who knows.

I don't drop off the old music to make way for the new, with the exception of my glam metal days. Even still, there are times where I'll fire up the Invasion of Your privacy album...

I never looked the part of the metal head nor cared to. For me it was just about the music. I didn't wear the t-shirs, grow the long hair, smoke, etc., there is just something about metal when it's done right that does it for me. Always has, always will.

Song Suggestion:

hmmm... I'm really starting to get into Katatonia. Check out their song My Twin.

Ok, this post really got way too long and out of control. Hell, it may just end up me talking to myself on this thread and that's ok haha.... if you want to just give recommendations and not give a whole background like I did that's great too.

Also, give feedback on the suggestions others give. It seems like you always see suggestions but never any impressions from what is suggested.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the interesting post!

I will check-out the bands you listed that I don't know (many) and give you feedback. For me when the guttural vocals are unintelligible I just turn it off - I just can't get into it.

Last night I saw a Lamb of God video on VEVO that I thought was very good - I could understand most of the lyrics and the music was excellent. I intend to research more of their material.

I am older than you but was into the glam bands as a teenager. AC / DC was certainly a favorite (no, I am not suggesting they are glam) and I hope you have investigated their back catalog of Bon Scott albums prior to Highway To Hell. Absolutely essential rock.

Similar to AC / DC is Airbourne, a bar band also hailing from Australia. Great driving music!

My musical tastes range from classical to blues, country to metal, but generally against the Top 40 tide.

Love Jack White in all his various incarnations. As a metal head you must love great guitar so check-out Joe Bonamassa and also the band he is in, Black Country Communion. More blues rock than metal, really, but great music nonetheless.

Wrote in the company newsletter on Friday that Volbeat are the "illegitimate Dutch quadruplet love children born of the union between the ghost of Elvis Presley, Metallica, and Social Distortion." Then last night on VEVO I saw that the lead singer has Elvis Aaron Presley tattooed on his left arm and Social Distortion tattooed on his right. Damn I'm good! Volbeat kicks ass, if you ignore the rest of my post, be sure to listen to some Volbeat if you haven't already.

Gotta get back to work, but look forward to some metal / rock conversation.

#4 ·
Great thread!

I won't get into the life-long progression I've had, but I'll list some of my favorite metal bands.

Dream Theater (my number 1 number 1)

Amon Amarth

Children of Bodom

In Flames (pre-Reroute to Remain)

Arch Enemy (Angela is so awesome)

Manticora

Suidakra (Arkadius is metal)

Shadow Gallery

Shadows Fall

Joe Satriani (more like rock, though)

Nevermore

Iron Maiden

Symphony X

Tool

Song suggestion: Metropolis - Part 1 by Dream Theater off the album "Images and Words." It's a prog metal fan's dream come true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp  /t/1450268/the-metal-heads-thread#post_22795944

Around 2002 I found another "game changer" band for me. Opeth

I read so many good things about them online I figured I'd give them a shot so I bought the Still Life album. Not impressed. 2nd time through. Not impressed. 3rd time. Same thing. I was force feeding myself this album because even though I wasn't totally into it there was something about it that made me curious and I kept coming back. Finally it started to click and I was hooked. From there I bought all their albums and for me 5 of their albums are like a giant game of rock paper scissors to decide which one is best.

I had the same experience you did, trying to forcefeed Opeth to myself, and while I have almost all of their albums I still can't get into them.
Oh well.

#5 ·
Carp

Glad to see this thread.You don't have to look the part to be a metalhead but you do have to wear the T-shirts.

Start off with

Karma to Burn songs 1-15(most of thier songs are numbers) check out # 8

Clutch all the early stuff like Binge and Purge or A Shotgun Named Markus

I will put some real time in on this thread over the next few days.

I bought 2 Dream Theater dvds and a BR. IMO They pick up where Iron Maiden left off. They sure can play thier instruments well. Very talented.

I feel the best bands are the ones that the lead singer plays an instrument (guitar) and whales on the lyrics if not screaming.

James Hetfield of Metallica always sounds like he is ready to kick someones ass. So does Sully from godsmack.

There is a question How do you feel about godsmack? The Noesis should be treated to Good Times Bad Times Ten Years of godsmack. The free dvd that

comes with it is recorded at The House Of Blues Las Vegas. Its acoustical concert that is reference quality recording. It an Alice in Chains Mtv Unplugged are my favorites for Demos.

I got to get ready to leave work so more later.

Pour the Coal to it

Chris

Song Rec = Ministry's So What

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLoaf  /t/1450268/the-metal-heads-thread#post_22796150

Thanks for the interesting post!

I will check-out the bands you listed that I don't know (many) and give you feedback. For me when the guttural vocals are unintelligible I just turn it off - I just can't get into it.

Last night I saw a Lamb of God video on VEVO that I thought was very good - I could understand most of the lyrics and the music was excellent. I intend to research more of their material.

I am older than you but was into the glam bands as a teenager. AC / DC was certainly a favorite (no, I am not suggesting they are glam) and I hope you have investigated their back catalog of Bon Scott albums prior to Highway To Hell. Absolutely essential rock.

Similar to AC / DC is Airbourne, a bar band also hailing from Australia. Great driving music!

My musical tastes range from classical to blues, country to metal, but generally against the Top 40 tide.

Love Jack White in all his various incarnations. As a metal head you must love great guitar so check-out Joe Bonamassa and also the band he is in, Black Country Communion. More blues rock than metal, really, but great music nonetheless.

Wrote in the company newsletter on Friday that Volbeat are the "illegitimate Dutch quadruplet love children born of the union between the ghost of Elvis Presley, Metallica, and Social Distortion." Then last night on VEVO I saw that the lead singer has Elvis Aaron Presley tattooed on his left arm and Social Distortion tattooed on his right. Damn I'm good! Volbeat kicks ass, if you ignore the rest of my post, be sure to listen to some Volbeat if you haven't already.

Gotta get back to work, but look forward to some metal / rock conversation.

thanks Dragonloaf for the input!!

I do like Lamb of God too, not enough to buy an album yet, but I probably will.

I have a Black Country Communion album, good stuff - I need to listen to it more.

I do like Volbeat!! Haven't bought an album, but listen to them quite a bit on Spotify. Great voice that guy has, huh!!

Oh yeah, I LOVE all Bon Scott ACDC albums and have since I was very little. All time favorite is a tie between Powerage and Highway to Hell. Back in Black album with Bryan Johnson is right there too. LOVE the song Ride On - Bon is the man. I've heard of Airbourne but haven't checked them out, I will thanks.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1  /t/1450268/the-metal-heads-thread#post_22796415

I will second Clutch. Great band!

Just came through A-town last week :NICE:

I need to break this thread down already and add some comparable bands to each of yours. I have plenty of all but a few that have been listed and I could really pad that OP a substantial amount. Get your ********** ready fellas.

SymphonyX? more like Racer X...Paul Gilbert FTW!!!!!!

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV  /t/1450268/the-metal-heads-thread#post_22796398

Carp

Glad to see this thread.You don't have to look the part to be a metalhead but you do have to wear the T-shirts.

Start off with

Karma to Burn songs 1-15(most of thier songs are numbers) check out # 8

Clutch all the early stuff like Binge and Purge or A Shotgun Named Markus

I will put some real time in on this thread over the next few days.

I bought 2 Dream Theater dvds and a BR. IMO They pick up where Iron Maiden left off. They sure can play thier instruments well. Very talented.

I feel the best bands are the ones that the lead singer plays an instrument (guitar) and whales on the lyrics if not screaming.

James Hetfield of Metallica always sounds like he is ready to kick someones ass. So does Sully from godsmack.

There is a question How do you feel about godsmack? The Noesis should be treated to Good Times Bad Times Ten Years of godsmack. The free dvd that

comes with it is recorded at The House Of Blues Las Vegas. Its acoustical concert that is reference quality recording. It an Alice in Chains Mtv Unplugged are my favorites for Demos.

I got to get ready to leave work so more later.

Pour the Coal to it

Chris

Song Rec = Ministry's So What

Oh yeah, LOVE LOVE LOVE Dream Theater. You and Nuance have very good taste.

Yeah, James is the man. I even named my dog Hetfield back in 2001.

Funny you should mention Godsmack. Never a big fan, but didn't mind them either. The other night on Palladia they were showing a Sully concert and his voice sounded AMAZING on the Noesis. I'm telling you, I was impressed. He's a hell of a musician. He has a VERY strong voice too, he's not one of those guys that sounds totally different live.

I'll have to check out that dvd, what I saw wasn't Godsmack, it was him solo. His cello player was doing it for me - very hot.

Oh hell, I forgot about Alice In Chains. Their first 2 albums are masterpieces.

I'll check out the Ministry song... my impression of them in the past is that I hate them though,... maybe industrial isn't my thing although I like Fear Factory which is a lot of industrial so who knows.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance  /t/1450268/the-metal-heads-thread#post_22796354

Great thread!

I won't get into the life-long progression I've had, but I'll list some of my favorite metal bands.

Dream Theater (my number 1 number 1)

Amon Amarth

Children of Bodom

In Flames (pre-Reroute to Remain)

Arch Enemy (Angela is so awesome)

Manticora

Suidakra (Arkadius is metal)

Shadow Gallery

Shadows Fall

Joe Satriani (more like rock, though)

Nevermore

Iron Maiden

Symphony X

Tool

Song suggestion: Metropolis - Part 1 by Dream Theater off the album "Images and Words." It's a prog metal fan's dream come true.

I had the same experience you did, trying to forcefeed Opeth to myself, and while I have almost all of their albums I still can't get into them.
Oh well.

Nuance, I absolutely love Dream Theater especially Images and Words, Awake, and Scenes from a Memory. I also really love Falling Into Infinity, I know a lot of fans didn't like that one I think it's outstanding.

I don't know Manticor and Suidakra I'll have to check those.

Yeah, Angela is a beast and could kick my arse anyday.

Nevermore's Dead Heart in a Dead World is excellent!!

Metropolis pt. 1 is one of my all time favorite DT songs. Tied with Learning to Live and Lifting Shadows off a Dream. I thought about playing it at the GTG, but figured Pull Me Under would be more accessible.

#13 ·
You have excellent taste too, carp!

Some other great bands are:

Iced Earth

As I Lay Dying

Brainstorm

Death

Insomnium

Kamelot

Liquid Tension Experiment (DT guys without vocals)

Machinehead

Pagan's Mind

Redemption

Savage Circus

Tribuzy

Trivium

Vandenplaus

Wintersun

Metallica (duh)

#14 ·
Tool is great too bad Maynard is F-cking Crazy. It really gets in the way of what they are capable of.

They really are excellent but still could have done more.

Check out that godsmack cd/dvd if you want to see some guys that can really play. Shannon Larkin is a top drummer and Sully is incredibly talented one of them used

be the drummer in Ugly Kid Joe Lumbarjack Baby. It is the quality of the recording that is so impressive and how hard the drums hit with the sound of the guitar chords rolling off my T12's.

Chris

Korn and Slipknot / Corey Taylor should be on the list

Songs

Karma To Burn = Twin Sisters and half a bottle of Bourbon & Appalachain Woman & Bobbi BobbI Bobbi

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp  /t/1450268/the-metal-heads-thread#post_22798420

Nuance, listen to the song "A Fa. Judgement" by Opeth a few times. If the guitar solo doesn't get you after a few times through, then yeah no way Opeth is for you. If you do like it, let me know and I'll give you another song.
The solo around the 6:20 mark? Yeah, that was pretty good. It was beautifully done with nice melodies. That's the thing, though - they get a good groove going and then change the pace too soon IMO. Sometimes they are too progressive and don't keep the sweet speed and riffs going long enough. The title track Deliverance is a good example. But wow - I had forgotten how decent a recording this CD is. It is completely enveloping with sick imaging, as if my rear speakers were on. Loving it for that! Hit me up with another please, if nothing else to see if the sound quality is as decent as Deliverance.
I only have the albums Deliverance, Damnation, Ghost Reveries and Watershed by the way. I thought I had more than that...

#18 ·
Well, like many I started on a steel bike. Then came the so much lighter aluminum frames, but just beat heck out of me at least in a hardtail. Then I found titanium to be a nice compromise but kinda pricey. Full suspension came along and made aluminum doable once again. Then there's carbon fiber.

Oh, we're talking music:
There's not one who says the original, Led Zeppelin? After that a little AC/DC. Then more Led Zeppelin. Some early Metallica and Nazareth and Suicidal Tendencies. Later some Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Rage Against the Machine and Tool. Then Led Zeppelin

#20 ·
I'm 35. My progression went something like this:

Motley Crue/Twisted Sister (I think Motley Crue's music actually holds up pretty well. Vince Neil's voice? Not so much
)

Guns n Roses (Appetite for Destruction is, front to back, one of the greatest albums ever IMO)

Alice in Chains/Soundgarden/Nirvana (AiC and Soundgarden were metal bands even if people didn't realize it)

Metallica (first saw them when they played a free outdoor concert in Philadelphia when I was in college. That was what finally hooked me)

long lapse of not really listening to anything new

Iron Maiden (they are still awesome)

Mixed in with that I do like CCR, motown, earlier classic rock a la Jimmy Hendrix, etc. I actually think the first Creed album was really good
Also like Jerry Cantrell's solo albums, Social Distortion, Dio, etc. I still listen to all of the above. I had a brief Ministry phase, just the standard stuff (Jesus Built My Hotrod, NWO, So What)

I've settled on Metallica and Maiden as my two favorites, I don't think my musical tastes are evolving at a very rapid pace
Only got into Maiden about 6 years ago, don't know what took me so long. I've seen them on their last 3 tours, just outstanding. My three year old daughter's favorite "Daddy music" song is "Fear of the Dark" from the Flight 666 concert set \m/

At any given time I'll have a 3rd band in the rotation, just whatever I'm into at the time. Right now it's Volbeat. As DragonLoaf said, they are a great mashup of a lot of influences that in many songs come right through. You can listen to an album and say "that's Social Distortion, that one's Anthrax, Metallica, etc." Yet at the same time it's an original sound. They're really quite good. My brother saw them live a few months back, for what I think was their last show of a US tour. They had all sorts of goofy stuff like a replica Eddie come out on stage.

Song recommendations, how about a few covers:

Metallica's "Remember Tomorrow" (Maiden) (Yes this is better than Opeth's
)

Foo Fighter's "Baker Street" (Gerry Rafferty)

jeff

#21 ·
GreenJP

Alice in Chains was a metal band before the word Grunge existed. For some reason the 90's felt the need to label different types of Rock n Roll music and break it down into too many different categories.

I dont think I have even added any bands to my platlist since the 90's. So basically everything I listen to is 80's & 90's especially when talking metal bands. I am 41 so the 70's music is still old to me but there was alot of true Rock n Roll produced during that decade.

What are some quality metal bands that have formed since 2000?

Chris

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp  /t/1450268/the-metal-heads-thread#post_22799139

I'm 35. My progression went something like this:

Motley Crue/Twisted Sister (I think Motley Crue's music actually holds up pretty well. Vince Neil's voice? Not so much
)

Guns n Roses (Appetite for Destruction is, front to back, one of the greatest albums ever IMO)

Alice in Chains/Soundgarden/Nirvana (AiC and Soundgarden were metal bands even if people didn't realize it)

Metallica (first saw them when they played a free outdoor concert in Philadelphia when I was in college. That was what finally hooked me)

long lapse of not really listening to anything new

Iron Maiden (they are still awesome)

Mixed in with that I do like CCR, motown, earlier classic rock a la Jimmy Hendrix, etc. I actually think the first Creed album was really good
Also like Jerry Cantrell's solo albums, Social Distortion, Dio, etc. I still listen to all of the above. I had a brief Ministry phase, just the standard stuff (Jesus Built My Hotrod, NWO, So What)

I've settled on Metallica and Maiden as my two favorites, I don't think my musical tastes are evolving at a very rapid pace
Only got into Maiden about 6 years ago, don't know what took me so long. I've seen them on their last 3 tours, just outstanding. My three year old daughter's favorite "Daddy music" song is "Fear of the Dark" from the Flight 666 concert set \m/

At any given time I'll have a 3rd band in the rotation, just whatever I'm into at the time. Right now it's Volbeat. As DragonLoaf said, they are a great mashup of a lot of influences that in many songs come right through. You can listen to an album and say "that's Social Distortion, that one's Anthrax, Metallica, etc." Yet at the same time it's an original sound. They're really quite good. My brother saw them live a few months back, for what I think was their last show of a US tour. They had all sorts of goofy stuff like a replica Eddie come out on stage.

Song recommendations, how about a few covers:

Metallica's "Remember Tomorrow" (Maiden) (Yes this is better than Opeth's
)

Foo Fighter's "Baker Street" (Gerry Rafferty)

jeff

I'm really close to this write up minus Metallica. I was a Megadeth guy. Huge Crüe fan. I think their debut record is really special and stays in my rotation.

Got heavy into Alternative for the late 90s and got really disappointed in the 2ks. Then I got turned onto Coheed and Cambria. Really good records from these guys. I like The Mars Volta as well. Maybe not strictly metal in most of your eyes but the deep guttural vocals I can only handle in small doses. That said, I enjoyed Five Finger Death Punch on record and saw them live. Talk about a pit to make you realize you might be to old for this.

A recent band I discovered thanks to a Nikki Sixx tweet are The Black Veil Brides. You old schoolers should check them out. They get branded as emo but are far from it.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance  /t/1450268/the-metal-heads-thread#post_22798480

The solo around the 6:20 mark? Yeah, that was pretty good. It was beautifully done with nice melodies. That's the thing, though - they get a good groove going and then change the pace too soon IMO. Sometimes they are too progressive and don't keep the sweet speed and riffs going long enough. The title track Deliverance is a good example. But wow - I had forgotten how decent a recording this CD is. It is completely enveloping with sick imaging, as if my rear speakers were on. Loving it for that! Hit me up with another please, if nothing else to see if the sound quality is as decent as Deliverance.
I only have the albums Deliverance, Damnation, Ghost Reveries and Watershed by the way. I thought I had more than that...

Ahhh, you gotta have Blackwater Park!! Well, actually don't do that unless you get into them a little bit.

Ok, I think the Ghost Reveries album has production too, it's not as dry sounding as Deliverance (which I prefer) and is almost too "rich" but it does sound really good for a metal album.

Check out the song Reverie/Harlequin Forest is great on Ghost Reveries, especially the middle section that starts with the lyrics, "they are the trees" or something like that.

First though, listen to all of A Fair Judgement a few times. If you liked it the first time, just wait until it sinks in.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp  /t/1450268/the-metal-heads-thread#post_22800148

Ahhh, you gotta have Blackwater Park!! Well, actually don't do that unless you get into them a little bit.

Ok, I think the Ghost Reveries album has production too, it's not as dry sounding as Deliverance (which I prefer) and is almost too "rich" but it does sound really good for a metal album.

Check out the song Reverie/Harlequin Forest is great on Ghost Reveries, especially the middle section that starts with the lyrics, "they are the trees" or something like that.

First though, listen to all of A Fair Judgement a few times. If you liked it the first time, just wait until it sinks in.

Will do.
If I remember correctly, I really enjoyed Ghost Reveries when it came out because it was more fluid and less prog. It's just been a while since I've listened to it. Thanks for the tips.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance  /t/1450268/the-metal-heads-thread#post_22802239

Metal song recommendation of the day: Safe by Manticora

Nuance, you had me at 14 minutes!

I really like the overall sound of this band, great sad tone going on with good riffs and tempo changes etc. Only thing I don't like... The singer. He has that sound I just don't like - what is it like, blind guardians singer? I don't think that's who I'm thinking of, he has a higher voice than this but it's that same kind of vibe.

That said singers don't make or break it for me, I am going to listen to some more of their stuff thanks.