Family Fun: Animation/Live Action Movies For The Little Ones and Big Little Ones - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 89Likes

post #31 of 289 Old 10-01-2014, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked: 4924
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post
I still remember the first time we watched AstroBoy. My youngest was almost four. Twenty minutes in and she was not happy with the movie. Alot of downer stuff to start the movie. We were watching on our big screen and the content is a lot more in your face. Stuff she can handle on a tv can be too much in the theater with the big screen and more aggressive audio. Finally, the movie turned and Astroboy starts rocking. From then on it was one of her favorites for a year or so. Very good AV on this and a well done movie - I thought. Did not do well at the box office. I think was too intense and dark for general public.

Monster Vs Aliens is one of my families TOP loved movies!

So fun, and funny! In our household it is just referred to as "SUSAN", as that is what my youngest always called it back in 2009.

I have changed out some of the posters over time, but SUSAN has been in our theater since day 1.

Same here. Kid demanded Susan this morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 289 Old 10-01-2014, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 7230 Post(s)
Liked: 16437
I demanded some Susan this morning and all I got was a poke in the eye and an elbow in the ribs.
darthrsg and GoCaboNow like this.

post #33 of 289 Old 10-05-2014, 11:20 PM
KOA
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 289 Old 10-08-2014, 08:45 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 1630
^ Nice list KOA. Hadn't heard of Town Called Panic before. Looks fun. Mysterious Island is one of my favorite old Harryhausen flicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Indeed. FWIW our 3 year old loves ParaNorman and Monster House. I initially though they would be a little intense but she handled it well. I'm positive she isn't connecting all the dots yet regarding seeing ghosts and what not but there's plenty of funny stuff and a great story in ParaNorman. It's also an absolutely a gorgeous film loaded up with shout outs for the older crowd. Monster House is truly a legit scary movie with some really perilous displays and some violence that moves pretty fast. She still loves it. Considering those two I tried Coraline but she had zero interest. This backs up my belief that hating Tim Burton art styles is genetic and right.
Monster House was good. Haven't seen ParaNorman or Coraline, but the stop-motion animation looks amazing in these. Burton's Corpse Bride and Nightmare Before Xmas were also good, though I'm sure you know those.

Dunno if the little-little ones can really appreciate this, but it's a classic in my book for around this time of year.

I haven't seen the new BD yet, but should have it shortly and will try to post some more thoughts after giving it a look. The DVD had really nice color and contrast though, and was quite a pleasure to watch.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 10-08-2014 at 09:16 PM.
post #35 of 289 Old 10-08-2014, 09:12 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

This is not a horror film per se, but it is a somewhat darker film both visually and thematically for a Disney animated musical (and Woods' Hades is one of the best animated villains since The Grinch imo).

The recently released BD is extremely sharp and detailed, and a beautiful transfer overall. You'll want a display with decent blacks/contrast to enjoy the many darker scenes in this though. Not sure why there isn't an HD trailer available.

Lee's AVS Review

ADU
post #36 of 289 Old 10-08-2014, 09:38 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Another creepy classic.

ADU
post #37 of 289 Old 10-08-2014, 09:42 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

The original Maleficent, re-released on BD yesterday.

Probably my favorite Disney film of them all. This new Diamond edition supposedly uses the same restored/cleaned-up HD transfer as the original 2008 release, which was quite good imo (though completely grainless, which some folks disliked).

Ralph's AVS Review

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 10-08-2014 at 11:02 PM.
post #38 of 289 Old 10-08-2014, 09:45 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

post #39 of 289 Old 10-16-2014, 01:30 PM

The Halloweentown series.

Halloweentown
Halloweentown II
Halloweentown High
Return to Halloweentown

A couple of good ones for the youngins this time of year. These are Disney made movies. Believe they originally came out in the late 90's to mid 2k's. Disney XD aires them. Set your DVR. Good family fun right there.

Last edited by Waboman; 10-16-2014 at 01:33 PM.
post #40 of 289 Old 10-16-2014, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Dudes and dudettes. Mr. Peabody and Sherman is fantastic. A little bit Bill and Ted and a lot of fun.
ADU likes this.
post #41 of 289 Old 10-18-2014, 11:38 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

^ Thanks for the tip. I used to love those old Jay Ward toons.

ADU
post #42 of 289 Old 10-19-2014, 12:05 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Watched the first half of the original 1963 Nutty Professor today, and the new BD transfer looks excellent! Same great color and contrast as the DVD... only better, and alot more detail. Film grain was largely smoothed over in the DVD edition, but it's been left mostly alone on this BD, which has a beautiful (and appropriately gritty/grainy, imho) filmic look to it. Stella Purdy and "The Purple Pit" never looked better.

ADU
post #43 of 289 Old 10-19-2014, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
^ Thanks for the tip. I used to love those old Jay Ward toons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owB6zFSZbng
Same here. The updated film is a lot of fun.
post #44 of 289 Old 10-21-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Dudes and dudettes. Mr. Peabody and Sherman is fantastic. A little bit Bill and Ted and a lot of fun.
Good to hear!

We had my daughters soccer team over for Peabody and Sherman Saturday night. My daughter likes to kick me and any other adult out so it is just the kids watching the movie and I did not see much of it. Afterwards they seemed to all enjoy it. I was a little concerned having them over for this as they are starting to get older, 9 and 10 year olds, and in a group sometimes try to be older than they are. But either the movie still appealed to an "older" grade schooler or they just enjoyed it as kids.

Looking forward to How To Train Your Dragon 2 and the Ghibli bluray releases in early November!!
Waboman likes this.

RS600, 133" 2.8 HP Screen, Panasonic UB-900
Marantz, 7702MKII, Emotiva XPA-1, XPA-2, XPA-100's
7.2.4 with 4pi JBL LCR's, Athena 100 surrounds and 4x Volt 10lx ceiling speakers.
4x FI 18" IB subwoofage with Behringer EP400 amp
Fabric walls, fabric posters, fabric under soffets. No reflections!!
post #45 of 289 Old 10-21-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Good to hear!

We had my daughters soccer team over for Peabody and Sherman Saturday night. My daughter likes to kick me and any other adult out so it is just the kids watching the movie and I did not see much of it. Afterwards they seemed to all enjoy it. I was a little concerned having them over for this as they are starting to get older, 9 and 10 year olds, and in a group sometimes try to be older than they are. But either the movie still appealed to an "older" grade schooler or they just enjoyed it as kids.

Looking forward to How To Train Your Dragon 2 and the Ghibli bluray releases in early November!!
Great story, Cabo. While I've never hosted an entire soccer team before, my kids like to invite a few of their friends over for a movie and kick me out. Just the other night they were watching the Robocop remake. I decided to peak in. Little SOBs were throwing popcorn at each other. Wtf? Needless to say, as soon as the movie was over, kid #2 had a vacuum in his hand.

In case you can't wait until Nov. 11th, Vudu has How To Train Your Dragon 2 available now. Granted it won't be in lossless. Just sayin'.
GoCaboNow likes this.

post #46 of 289 Old 10-27-2014, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

DreamWorks Spooky Stories Volume 1 and 2 are on Netflix Instant and is really a fantastic set of short stories that the little ones should like if you need some halloween Spirit. Shrek and gang telling stories and the Monsters VS Aliens crew battling alien zombie pumpkins are the bulk but they are nearly perfect holiday flicks for this time of year. We'll have them on Halloween night as background for the trick or treaters on our street.
post #47 of 289 Old 11-11-2014, 08:15 PM

Picked up How To Train Your Dragon 2 today. Planned on waiting for the weekend to watch it, but the kids really wanted to see it tonight. So we did. We really enjoyed it. With one kid saying it's better than the first. And it might be. Been awhile since I've seen that one. This blu looks great. The PQ is gorgeous. The 7.1 audio engulfs you. Seemed like dragons were flying all around the room. The LFE isn't as foundation cracking as part 1. But was good nonetheless. I give it 4 regurgitated fish out of 5.

post #48 of 289 Old 11-11-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Minuscule:Valley of the Lost Ants. Really worth watching. I don`t know if it is available in the U.S. yet.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2368672/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
post #49 of 289 Old 11-11-2014, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Picked up How To Train Your Dragon 2 today. Planned on waiting for the weekend to watch it, but the kids really wanted to see it tonight. So we did. We really enjoyed it. With one kid saying it's better than the first. And it might be. Been awhile since I've seen that one. This blu looks great. The PQ is gorgeous. The 7.1 audio engulfs you. Seemed like dragons were flying all around the room. The LFE isn't as foundation cracking as part 1. But was good nonetheless. I give it 4 regurgitated fish out of 5.

Story wise I enjoyed it very much.

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #50 of 289 Old 11-12-2014, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Serious props to the engine in HTTYD2 the visuals are mind blowing.
post #51 of 289 Old 11-14-2014, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
Quote:
Serious props to the engine in HTTYD2 the visuals are mind blowing.

I agree it's top notch

God Bless!
Equipment: Bose Soundbar; 1951 Philco Model 50-T701 Black and White tabletop TV;Projection :HANIMEX ZOOM 8 MM PROJECTOR
post #52 of 289 Old 11-14-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I WILL NOT pay full price for this seriously flawed movie. My kids really want to see this at home. We saw it at the cinemas and loved it almost as much as the first. My youngest has invited a bunch of friends over to watch but I WILL NOT buy this for $19.99 with it's seriously flawed audio and WILL HAVE to wait for Black Friday to pick up for $9.99.

darthrsg likes this.

7.2.4 with 4pi JBL LCR's, Athena 100 surrounds and 4x Volt 10lx ceiling speakers.
post #53 of 289 Old 11-14-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I WILL NOT pay full price for this seriously flawed movie. My kids really want to see this at home. We saw it at the cinemas and loved it almost as much as the first. My youngest has invited a bunch of friends over to watch but I WILL NOT buy this for $19.99 with it's seriously flawed audio and WILL HAVE to wait for Black Friday to pick up for $9.99.

I hear ya. How'd it sound in the theater? This was a blind buy for me. We really like the story and the PQ is gorgeous. Not sure what happened with the audio?

post #54 of 289 Old 11-14-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I hear ya. How'd it sound in the theater? This was a blind buy for me. We really like the story and the PQ is gorgeous. Not sure what happened with the audio?
We were on vacation and hit a local cineplex. Was an average 10-20 year old place similar to the majority of theaters we have locally. My experience is these older places are hit and miss for bass. Newer ones like Cinetopia, in my area, are very good for bass and if there is poor bass there I know it is the movie.

But I did not have any experience with the theater we saw HTTYD2. Obviously, the first one has very good bass. Even the opening scene as the dragons set fire to some buildings and fight with the Vikings, is very good for bass. Very intense. Then, of course the big dragon coming out of the mountain blows the lid off! Classic Randy Thom.

So, we were watching HTTYD2, and it looks fantastic, and sounds pretty good too, surrounds etc. But then something BIG would happen on screen - and nothing. Then the Alphas show up - and nothing. Again, not knowing the theater, I ASSUME it is just a poor sub setup since I knew Randy Thom was again the sound designer. Also, turned out we were the ONLY ones in the theater, so I started to question the valididty of the place, though it was a Monday night.

I am sure it sounds very nice at home, but is too bad the audio was neutered by the director. The Alphas could have been epic.

A link was posted in the AVS bluray review thread where the director said he thought the balance of sound effects and music was too skewed towards effects in the first one and wanted it different in the 2nd. Now, lo and behold, the bass is neutered - and that is never a good thing.

A lot of people trivialize the lack of good bass in a movie. Typical home viewers and, apparently, even this director. But when something BIG happens on screen is nice to have a corresponding oomph to the audio. Also, and I know you get this, but what better way to be immersed, to really FEEL like you are in the movie than when your pant leg starts to flutter, or your chair vibrates. A good scene, like in httyd 1, will even make my hair slightly quiver and my chair goes from vibrating to almost twisting. It feels like, holy crap, that dragon IS coming out of the mountain.
Waboman likes this.

post #55 of 289 Old 11-14-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
We were on vacation and hit a local cineplex. Was an average 10-20 year old place similar to the majority of theaters we have locally. My experience is these older places are hit and miss for bass. Newer ones like Cinetopia, in my area, are very good for bass and if there is poor bass there I know it is the movie.

But I did not have any experience with the theater we saw HTTYD2. Obviously, the first one has very good bass. Even the opening scene as the dragons set fire to some buildings and fight with the Vikings, is very good for bass. Very intense. Then, of course the big dragon coming out of the mountain blows the lid off! Classic Randy Thom.

So, we were watching HTTYD2, and it looks fantastic, and sounds pretty good too, surrounds etc. But then something BIG would happen on screen - and nothing. Then the Alphas show up - and nothing. Again, not knowing the theater, I ASSUME it is just a poor sub setup since I knew Randy Thom was again the sound designer. Also, turned out we were the ONLY ones in the theater, so I started to question the valididty of the place, though it was a Monday night.

I am sure it sounds very nice at home, but is too bad the audio was neutered by the director. The Alphas could have been epic.

A link was posted in the AVS bluray review thread where the director said he thought the balance of sound effects and music was too skewed towards effects in the first one and wanted it different in the 2nd. Now, lo and behold, the bass is neutered - and that is never a good thing.

A lot of people trivialize the lack of good bass in a movie. Typical home viewers and, apparently, even this director. But when something BIG happens on screen is nice to have a corresponding oomph to the audio. Also, and I know you get this, but what better way to be immersed, to really FEEL like you are in the movie than when your pant leg starts to flutter, or your chair vibrates. A good scene, like in httyd 1, will even make my hair slightly quiver and my chair goes from vibrating to almost twisting. It feels like, holy crap, that dragon IS coming out of the mountain.
On the bright side, at least you were on vacation when you saw it.

I had no idea it was the director himself who crippled the audio. What a strange thing to do. Especially since the first movie received such accolades for it's sound. At least here on this forum... which is really all that matters.

I agree, the Alphas should have loosened the fillings in your teeth. A lot of wasted opportunities. Even so, my kids and I really enjoyed the movie. Guess the answer to lack of deep LFE is called more Jack and Cokes.
GoCaboNow likes this.

post #56 of 289 Old 12-18-2014, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Recently fired up Meet the Robinsons which I know many don't like and I can see why but the girl loves it. It's kind of all over the place in a crazy way that has least grown on me some after a few repeats. Peabody and Sherman is superior but I'd like to see Disney take another stab at this Robinson family.
post #57 of 289 Old 01-07-2015, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Recently fired up Meet the Robinsons which I know many don't like and I can see why but the girl loves it. It's kind of all over the place in a crazy way that has least grown on me some after a few repeats. Peabody and Sherman is superior but I'd like to see Disney take another stab at this Robinson family.
Not sure I could trust a MTR II. My family really likes the movie - even my teenage daughter, and still to this day quote lines from it. It is fun and has a lot of heart for adults and kids alike. I just don't know how they do a part 2 without being too sappy or just re-hashing it?

We did the Ghibli, Princess Mononoke bluray the other day and that is quite a ride. Really an epic flic, but does have some beheadings and severing of limbs... Done in such a calm way, it was not alarming to my nine year old - or she is just jaded now?

Anywho, is in our top few Ghibli movies now.

post #58 of 289 Old 01-08-2015, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Movie action has slowed up in our place but we are wide open on Avatar The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra.
post #59 of 289 Old 01-08-2015, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Movie action has slowed up in our place but we are wide open on Avatar The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra.
ATLA might be my families favorite tv show. My youngest likes it for the action and fun, zany antics of the characters - a key component that was missed in the ill begotten movie. But, even my wife and older daughter like it for the depth of characters and over all story.

We did bits and pieces of the 1st season of Korra but never really grabbed us. I think the timing was bad as we had just gotten through the original and was still too fresh to us. We weren't ready to move on yet. From what I understand the show has picked up steam in subsequent years and I will probably pick up the last couple of seasons and see if it takes off with the kids.

post #60 of 289 Old 01-08-2015, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
ATLA might be my families favorite tv show. My youngest likes it for the action and fun, zany antics of the characters - a key component that was missed in the ill begotten movie. But, even my wife and older daughter like it for the depth of characters and over all story.

We did bits and pieces of the 1st season of Korra but never really grabbed us. I think the timing was bad as we had just gotten through the original and was still too fresh to us. We weren't ready to move on yet. From what I understand the show has picked up steam in subsequent years and I will probably pick up the last couple of seasons and see if it takes off with the kids.
I myself enjoyed Korra. We started it first before Avatar. Avatar took a minute to get going but it's very good. I have yet to see the final season of Korra but apparently they used it to make Korra a lesbian with some plot/easter egg machination.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page