Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Morpheo

post #1 of 29 Old 11-21-2014, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1

Opened wide today. It is a film that simply marks time, waiting for part 2 in a year from now.

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-22-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3057 Post(s)
Liked: 2007
I can't wait to watch this.

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #3 of 29 Old 11-23-2014, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 2834
Not as much fun as the first two films, but the most important film of series so far. Very intense and very good, things do change in this one. See it and see

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 11-23-2014, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 105
If you don't expect as much action as the first two movies you may enjoy this. My 2nd favorite film of the series after the first one.
post #5 of 29 Old 11-23-2014, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1464 Post(s)
Liked: 1660
I am seeing these movies because I have read the books with my son. The last 2 movies have been pretty good and solid adaptations of the books without fluff. Something I wish had been done with the Harry Potter books. I'd give it a B or B+. I didn't know that PSH had shot all of his part. It was good to see him in the movie. I like the choices of the director and editor of which parts were important.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #6 of 29 Old 11-24-2014, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
@fookoo_2010 Philip Seymour Hoffman's last performance will actually be Mockingjay part 2.

I saw the movie yesterday by the way, I'll comment on it later, but everytime he was on screen it reminded me how sad the movie world is without him. Such a great actor...
Waboman likes this.
post #7 of 29 Old 11-25-2014, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I am seeing these movies because I have read the books with my son. The last 2 movies have been pretty good and solid adaptations of the books without fluff. Something I wish had been done with the Harry Potter books. I'd give it a B or B+. I didn't know that PSH had shot all of his part. It was good to see him in the movie. I like the choices of the director and editor of which parts were important.
I agree. The movies we're definitely a great reflection of the books. Can't wait to see this one!
post #8 of 29 Old 11-25-2014, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6874 Post(s)
Liked: 15459
My kids want to see this. Hopefully I can pawn 'em off on one of their friends parents.

post #9 of 29 Old 12-03-2014, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seeing it Sunday on the big screen in Dolby Atmos, can't wait!
post #10 of 29 Old 12-04-2014, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I got the impression that Actors that fit best into these kinds of
movies do well acting in front of and facing a gigantic Green Screen.
So much of that was used in this "film" ( shot with Digital Arri cams ).
post #11 of 29 Old 03-07-2015, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Watched the BD tonite.

First of all...if there ever was a more blatant attempt to split 1 movie into 2 for the sake of $$$, I don't know what it is.

I am not making this up....
Everything that had transpired in the plot by the end of Catching Fire is completely, utterly NOT advanced one centimeter in Mockingjay Part One.
The coda of MP1 brings everything right back 360 degrees to its opening.
Nothing is resolved...a complete waste of time.

Save yourself some time and $$$ and skip this movie for MP2.

WARNING: Walmart has a $16.16 BD available right now.
Unfortunately, it has lossy only audio and no Special Features.

post #12 of 29 Old 03-08-2015, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Watched the BD tonite.

First of all...if there ever was a more blatant attempt to split 1 movie into 2 for the sake of $$$, I don't know what it is.

Everything that had transpired in the plot by the end of Catching Fire is completely, utterly NOT advanced one centimeter in Mockingjay Part One.
Nothing is resolved...a complete waste of time........
I felt the same way in seeing the movie at the theater. Having just watched the BR, I am in the long process of going through the Bonus Features that seem to deal with that feeling of the third film just marking time, kind of like The Hobbit II that ended up with III and a bunch of balony. Maybe Mocking Jay Part 2 will be worthwhile, time will tell.
post #13 of 29 Old 03-08-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post
Maybe Mocking Jay Part 2 will be worthwhile, time will tell.
I have not read the books, but MJ2 should move towards the conclusion of this trilogy.

post #14 of 29 Old 03-08-2015, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 2834
Quote:
Watched the BD tonite.

Nothing is resolved...a complete waste of time.

Save yourself some time and $$$ and skip this movie for MP2.

WARNING: Walmart has a $16.16 BD available right now.
Unfortunately, it has lossy only audio and no Special Features.
The one I got from Amazon was 19.96 and has ATMOS as well as a DTS headphone X audio track. And special features.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #15 of 29 Old 03-08-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
The one I got from Amazon was 19.96 and has ATMOS as well as a DTS headphone X audio track. And special features.
Ordinarily, I order everything from Amazon.
However, I happened to see one of Walmart's ads and thought I had found a great deal on the BD.
Oh well, you get what you pay for....

On second thought, I'm glad I didn't spend one more dollar than I did on MJ1.

post #16 of 29 Old 03-08-2015, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 134
This is a trend in "final chapter" that I could do with coming to an end sooner rather than later. It seems to have become popular ever since Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The thing is, with HP it made sense. With HP, the model of 1 book = 1 film was already becoming strained with installments five and six. The final novel just had way too much going on spread out over too many pages to fit everything into a single film without stretching it into a 3.5 hour epic - something that would have killed it in the box office.

Then Twilight decided it needed to split the final book, even though the entire trilogy could probably have been done in only two movies. Going 1:1 is understandable. Splitting the final one was nothing more than tring to milk the patrons.

The Hobbit should probably have been 2 films each about 3 hours long, the way they had originally been planned. This would have cut almost 1.5 hours and would have avoided all the blowback from "stretching filler too far". Personally, I enjoyed all three films, but I can understand some of the resentment to having three.

The Hunger Games has bothered me since the second movie. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the first movie. It was better than I had expected b a fair margin. The second movie felt very much like it was suffering a bit too much in its role as merely a set-up for the third film. Yes, that is the nature of middle installments, but that doesn't mean that middle installments need to be devoid of their own merits. The Empire Strikes Back demonstrated that beautifully. I think the so-so installment that was Catching Fire is part of what led to Mockingjay Part 1 being such a disappointment. Catching Fire was little more than establishing the new rules for Mockingjay, but served little other purpose. That means the next part needs to start delivering on the setup. The opening scene actually does deliver a sense that something dire is happening, but then it is almost immediately shown to be little more than manufactured angst. The film never delivers on the second movie's work of creating a bridge, basically making the second movie almost as pointless as the third. At this point, I have real reservations that the final part can possibly deliver enough payoff to justify essentially having what is now two installments in a row that serve no internal purpose, but only serve the arc.
post #17 of 29 Old 03-08-2015, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Watched the disc yesterday. Not too bad. It's got a few stretchy moments but given the plot, how else would you do it? Any shorter, it would be silly, any longer, it would be boring. I'm sure the editing team tried both and settled on the final cut.
As for the plot hole... how could the capital with more advanced technology than what we have today, not have
Spoiler!
post #18 of 29 Old 03-08-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
The final novel just had way too much going on spread out over too many pages to fit everything into a single film without stretching it into a 3.5 hour epic
Although I didn't read the book, Ms. Oink (who did) said the same thing.

Quote:
The Hobbit
Quote:
should probably have been 2 films each about 3 hours long, the way they had originally been planned. This would have cut almost 1.5 hours and would have avoided all the blowback from "stretching filler too far". Personally, I enjoyed all three films, but I can understand some of the resentment to having three.
FWIW, I think 4-5 hours would have been enough for The Hobbit.

Quote:
At this point, I have real reservations that the final part can possibly deliver enough payoff.
Well, I'm hoping it will....we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruiser View Post
As for the plot hole... how could the capital with more advanced technology than what we have today, not have
Spoiler!
I wondered about that too.
But there were so many other problems with this movie that made it pale in comparison I didn't bother bringing it up.

post #19 of 29 Old 03-08-2015, 12:06 PM

Too late. Already bought it. Tossed it on the ever growing 'to watch' stack. Which includes all the Hobbits.

post #20 of 29 Old 03-08-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Too late. Already bought it.
You have my sympathies.

Quote:
Tossed it on the ever growing 'to watch' stack.
If you weren't hanging around here all the time, maybe you could reduce the size of that stack.

post #21 of 29 Old 03-08-2015, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
I'm watching these films for 2 reasons: Jennifer Lawrence and Philip Seymour Hoffman. If it weren't for them...
post #22 of 29 Old 03-08-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
You have my sympathies.

If you weren't hanging around here all the time, maybe you could reduce the size of that stack.
Those Hobbits are like 4 hours each. Half a day. That cuts into my red buttoning you time.

post #23 of 29 Old 03-08-2015, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have not read the books, but MJ2 should move towards the conclusion of this trilogy.
Having read the books, the movies are trying hard to follow the spirit of the books. The books are kinda weird as they have Katniss a pretty odd character who I found not very likeable as a character although you could say that she is virtuous because she is brave and loyal to her friends/family. Mostly, I find her egocentric and not very smart. A lot that happens in the last book deals with the stress of what happened in the second book. Katniss is not a very willing member of the rebels and yet is apparently important as a symbol. I thought the movie did a pretty good job of catching the feeling of the books. You may think there is a lot of extra but the movie pared down what was going on significantly and hit the high points. I can basically tell you that I don't think the books are especially well written. I can say that they don't follow many of the regular tropes other than this so-called triangle which Katniss barely seems involved or interested in and yet is there.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.

Last edited by daryl zero; 03-08-2015 at 03:45 PM.
post #24 of 29 Old 03-08-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Those Hobbits are like 4 hours each. Half a day. That cuts into my red buttoning you time.
Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Having read the books, the movies are trying hard to follow the spirit of the books. The books are kinda weird as they have Katniss a pretty odd character who I found not very likeable as a character although you could say that she is virtuous because she is brave and loyal to her friends/family. Mostly, I find her egocentric and not very smart. A lot that happens in the last book deals with the stress of what happened in the second book. Katniss is not a very willing member of the rebels and yet is apparently important as a symbol. I thought the movie did a pretty good job of catching the feeling of the books. You may think there is a lot of extra but the movie pared down what was going on significantly and hit the high points. I can basically tell you that I don't think the books are especially well written. I can say that they don't follow many of the regular tropes other than this so-called triangle which Katniss barely seems involved or interested in and yet is there.
Well, you've convinced me I'll never need to go to the used book store for this series.

post #25 of 29 Old 03-08-2015, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Keep in mind, Katniss is 14 years old (in the books, anyway), and as pivotal as a character as she is, she's essentially being used as a pawn by other groups/individuals with their own interests at heart throughout the books and movie. She's basically a clueless, naive teenager trying to get by as best she can. And I liked the books for the most part
post #26 of 29 Old 03-08-2015, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Keep in mind, Katniss is 14 years old (in the books, anyway), and as pivotal as a character as she is, she's essentially being used as a pawn by other groups/individuals with their own interests at heart throughout the books and movie. She's basically a clueless, naive teenager trying to get by as best she can. And I liked the books for the most part
Well, trying to read it with a son who is short of vocabulary . . . the author decided to have Katniss speak with every vocabulary word possible rather than just say thing simply. It was very annoying.

post #27 of 29 Old 03-09-2015, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Are you mocking this?

post #28 of 29 Old 03-09-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post
Are you mocking this?
I have never mocked anything in my life:

Spoiler!

post #29 of 29 Old 03-15-2015, 09:12 PM

Watched this tonight. Didn't mind it. Kept me entertained. The bombing scene had some great audio. Now if I could just get that darn Hanging Tree song outta my head.

Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page