Why do some movies get better with age? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 65 Old 03-28-2015, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3290 Post(s)
Liked: 5424
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post
I thought you were going to say, "the colors look actually richer" and the sound... something am noticing wasn't there before!"
Sir, the Special Editions are over on the next aisle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 Old 03-29-2015, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
Which begs another topic of discussion, the media you're exposed to as a kid is YOUR media and YOUR nostalgia. It builds your taste as you go on. Sadly the kids who got Duck Tales and Power Rangers have been screwed over and really every generation since.
I'm so happy growing up with Star wars and Miami Vice.
post #33 of 65 Old 03-29-2015, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Which begs another topic of discussion, the media you're exposed to as a kid is YOUR media and YOUR nostalgia. It builds your taste as you go on. Sadly the kids who got Duck Tales and Power Rangers have been screwed over and really every generation since.
Lol! Come on, Duck Tales was awesome. Power Rangers…

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 65 Old 03-29-2015, 09:41 AM

^

Smoked one out of mom's basement.
post #35 of 65 Old 03-29-2015, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
I think that of all filmmakers in history, Stanley Kubrick stands out as a director whose films ALL improve with age. Most of his films have been relatively panned at first, only later to be recognized as classic masterworks. Barry Lyndon is one of his greatest films, IMHO, yet it had a lukewarm reception on release. The Shining, recognized now as a horror classic, had a lukewarm reception. Eyes Wide Shut had a lukewarm reception, yet for me has improved with age.
When you mentioned Kubrick the first movie that came to my mind was Barry Lyndon. I picked up the DVD a couple of years ago and started to watch it again. I just couldn't get into it like I did when I was younger when it came out. I remember dragging my sister to see that movie. I kept telling her she had to see it. She hated it and still does.
post #36 of 65 Old 03-30-2015, 01:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1445
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg

Yes I agree.... We had beautiful TV from the 80s and earlier and they have nothing but this garbage that they think IS GOOD...... Its really sad
post #37 of 65 Old 03-30-2015, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes I agree.... We had beautiful TV from the 80s and earlier and they have nothing but this garbage that they think IS GOOD...... Its really sad
I disagree. I think this is a golden age for TV series - there are some pretty amazing productions out there. Mad Men, The Wire, Battlestar Galactica, Breaking Bad, Homeland. I'm really loving these kinds of dramatic series. They have the great luxury of abundant running time in which to really dig into the characters, relationships and plot lines.

And there's a lot of terrific comedy too. Right now my guilty pleasure is "Jane the Virgin". It's a cheesy, schmaltzy, silly soap opera with great acting and production values that knows it's a cheesy, schmaltzy silly soap opera and wants to make sure that you know it knows it too. Great stuff.
post #38 of 65 Old 03-30-2015, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson View Post
I disagree. I think this is a golden age for TV series - there are some pretty amazing productions out there. Mad Men, The Wire, Battlestar Galactica, Breaking Bad, Homeland. I'm really loving these kinds of dramatic series. They have the great luxury of abundant running time in which to really dig into the characters, relationships and plot lines.

And there's a lot of terrific comedy too. Right now my guilty pleasure is "Jane the Virgin". It's a cheesy, schmaltzy, silly soap opera with great acting and production values that knows it's a cheesy, schmaltzy silly soap opera and wants to make sure that you know it knows it too. Great stuff.
Is it really though? They never give anything a chance. We live in this era of low patience and instant gratification.
post #39 of 65 Old 03-30-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I definitely agree with you. What I see on TV anymore is mostly crime shows, murder investigations. Yuk, it must align with the obsession of the blood thirsty gun slinging culture. Many of the comedy shows are lifeless and boring with no real message. I call most of it brain dead comedy. Even SNL I can't stand anymore.
post #40 of 65 Old 03-31-2015, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Please explain why the masses love CSI and NSI. It's one of the reasons I'm always stuck watching reruns of Friends, Cheers, Taxi, Frasier, Everybody Loves Raymond and 3rd Rock from the Sun. Plus, if I'm in the mood a little bit of Seinfeld. I do miss seeing reruns of The Cosby Show and ALF.

The somewhat modern sitcom I've partially got into in present day is, Last Man Standing but I can't take to anything else. The last time I remember watching any TV series from the early 2000s was Spin City and Becker.

Everything nowadays in so called comedies is relations to Smartphones and the Internet/jokes/memes. As well as social media. Or, its aimed at teenagers or what feels like manchilds.

Or its Law type series such as The Good Wife. Which appears super serious.

…and god, do I miss car chases of the 80s. You just never see car TV series anymore.

Saturday TV was so awesome as a child in the late 80s. Jeeps, dust, sand and everything getting thrown up.

darthrsg likes this.

Last edited by xvfx; 03-31-2015 at 11:30 AM.
post #41 of 65 Old 03-31-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
You Kubrick watchers ever see Lords of Salem? In the horror space it was covered in mixed reviews but for those among us who "got" it we've said it will go down as a cult classic that will be rediscovered down the road and hailed.
Between the poster art and director name, I assumed it was yet another POS zombie flick?
I could be wrong. Good chance there's more people who would hate Barry Lyndon more than
said Rob Zombie flick. Way more who would dismiss both
post #42 of 65 Old 03-31-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post
Please explain why the masses love CSI and NSI. It's one of the reasons I'm always stuck watching reruns of Friends, Cheers, Taxi, Frasier, Everybody Loves Raymond and 3rd Rock from the Sun. Plus, if I'm in the mood a little bit of Seinfeld. I do miss seeing reruns of The Cosby Show and ALF.

The somewhat modern sitcom I've partially got into in present day is, Last Man Standing but I can't take to anything else. The last time I remember watching any TV series from the early 2000s was Spin City and Becker.

Everything nowadays in so called comedies is relations to Smartphones and the Internet/jokes/memes. As well as social media. Or, its aimed at teenagers or what feels like manchilds.

Or its Law type series such as The Good Wife. Which appears super serious.

…and god, do I miss car chases of the 80s. You just never see car TV series anymore.

Saturday TV was so awesome as a child in the late 80s. Jeeps, dust, sand and everything getting thrown up.

I don't have cable or satellite so I went out and bought the Cheers series on DVD. I hear you. Haha I even picked up the "Beverly Hillbillies". Wee doggy! I guess I never noticed it before but Jane Hathaway has a crush on Jethro.

Whatever posses people to sit there and watch CSI, NSI, or what ever they are called is beyond me. Death, murder, drugs, torture, guns, autopsy, etc. must be what trips their trigger. I could care less to see it.
post #43 of 65 Old 03-31-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post
Between the poster art and director name, I assumed it was yet another POS zombie flick?
I could be wrong. Good chance there's more people who would hate Barry Lyndon more than
said Rob Zombie flick. Way more who would dismiss both
No zombies in the Zombie flick but if the obtuse edge on display in most of Kubrick's work is your thing there are some nice moments in Lords of Salem.
post #44 of 65 Old 03-31-2015, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVReader
I definitely agree with you. What I see on TV anymore is mostly crime shows, murder investigations. Yuk, it must align with the obsession of the blood thirsty gun slinging culture. Many of the comedy shows are lifeless and boring with no real message. I call most of it brain dead comedy. Even SNL I can't stand anymore.

Yup just about NOTHING but rubbish on now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx

Because ppl have been so dumbed down/conditioned to think crap is good thats why!! (Alot have been)
post #45 of 65 Old 04-01-2015, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Because ppl have been so dumbed down/conditioned to think crap is good thats why!! (Alot have been)
Maybe or that and as well as the quality stuff/writers is too costly. Cheaper and more profit to make quick easy garbage.
post #46 of 65 Old 04-01-2015, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yea that also..........
post #47 of 65 Old 04-01-2015, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVReader View Post
I guess I never noticed it before but Jane Hathaway has a crush on Jethro.
I think she was just using Jethro to get closer to Ellie May.
post #48 of 65 Old 04-01-2015, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Yup just about NOTHING but rubbish on now!!

I think that is a big part of it. But I still agree with an earlier post that we are in a "2ND GOLDEN AGE" of TV.

Especially for Adults. The problem is it is spread out all over the place.

And it all started with THE SOPRANOS. That show debuted in 1999, I believe(I could be wrong). But ever since that show, there has been a TON of GREAT DRAMA TV geared too adults.

Not families. But adults. Starting with the year 2000, there has been GREAT shows. Not just good.

SOPRANOS/SIX FEET UNDER/DEXTER/HOMELAND/MAD MEN/WALKING DEAD/HOUSE OF CARDS/BAND OF BROTHERS/THE PACIFIC/LOST/BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER/BATTLESTAR GALACTICA/WEST WING/BREAKING BAD/etc...

Now, notice those are all dramas, or mini series. And they are all on CABLE(minus 3), which allows a lot more MATURE CONTENT to be shown. That is the biggest problem facing OTA networks.

Comedies, as a whole, have not been all that awesome. But some have been great since 2000 IMHO.

The OFFICE(British and American)/30 ROCK/PARKS AND RECREATION/MODERN FAMILY/etc...

Now, here is where I think OTA is "better" than Cable because you have to be smart to write GREAT COMEDY. Especially with the restrictions on content on OTA.

If you do not watch MODERN FAMILY, you are missing one the BEST COMEDIES EVER.

I truly mean that. Number 1 is without question(Big bag of SHUSH!!!!! to anyone who disagrees) is THE HONEYMOONERS. You cannot argue #1 IMHO.

2 through whatever, let the debate begin. SEINFELD is still #2 too me, but MF is really CLOSE. If you have not watched it, watch it on USA/syndication. EVERY EPISODE is FUNNY. Can be wathced with the kids.

Seinfelds first 2 season were BLAH. Show did not get good/GREAT until season 3. MF has been GREAT since the first episode.

Now we all have GUILTY PLEASURE TV/Movie's. Myself included. Stuff that is just bad(bad acting/bad writing/or just stupid/goofy). But still FUN.

Currently for me: THE FLASH/ARROW/GOTHAM fall into that category.

But not the top of the GARBAGE HEAP FOR ME though.

Ever since 1990, I have recorded Y&R and B&B, and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT

Talk about garbage. But i just do not care.
post #49 of 65 Old 04-01-2015, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 443
The Big Bang Theory is the funniest sitcom on TV today by a mile. Brilliant show all-round IMHO.
post #50 of 65 Old 04-01-2015, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
The Big Bang Theory is the funniest sitcom on TV today by a mile. Brilliant show all-round IMHO.
You know what, have not seen it, so I have no opinion.

But once it comes to NETFLIX(syndication is all screwed up. I get episode 4 from season 1, then episode 15 from season 6 right after it on TBS, so I do not watch), I AM THERE. NO DOUBT.

I need to watch things in order. Drama or Comedy. I like to see how characters develop over time.
post #51 of 65 Old 04-01-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

To be honest, I always enjoyed Home Improvement. What I also find interesting is the obvious change in comedy from the 90s to the 2000s. Theres a warmth about the 90s shows.

The 80s and 90s share that same warmth. Maybe its an age or nostalgia thing. I don't know…

Top 10 of all time from their view.

post #52 of 65 Old 04-01-2015, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No zombies in the Zombie flick but if the obtuse edge on display in most of Kubrick's work is your thing there are some nice moments in Lords of Salem.
OK, perhaps I'll give it a glance at some point
post #53 of 65 Old 04-01-2015, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Why are TV shows being discussed on this string?

Relates? OK, but ...?
post #54 of 65 Old 04-01-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post
Why are TV shows being discussed on this string?

Relates? OK, but ...?
It's fine. Not hurting anything.
post #55 of 65 Old 04-01-2015, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeske View Post
why are tv shows being discussed on this string?

Relates? Ok, but ...?
how dare you not let me highjack this thread!!!
post #56 of 65 Old 04-02-2015, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 5089 Post(s)
Liked: 6961
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

If you don't let me gut out this thread and make it my own I will go insane, and I will TAKE YOU WITH ME!

post #57 of 65 Old 04-02-2015, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post
OK - Proceed sir

Like I didn't trash a few over the years
post #58 of 65 Old 04-02-2015, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Another one or two would be Robocop and Starship Troopers. As a young dude I was all about the guns guns guns and bitc hes leaving. As an adult the complex role of the military industrial complex comes into view and helps propel the movie to a higher tier. Similarly, the media portrayal in ST was over my head as a young viewer but as a wiser adult it's dead on in exposing the propaganda we are exposed to as well as being somewhat prophetic in our consumption. "Would you like to know more?"
Great examples. Those two movies are so funny as satire that I continue to appreciate them. And none of their sequels had the same quality, making me think the creators of the sequels missed the point of the originals entirely.
post #59 of 65 Old 04-03-2015, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3564
'Beetlejuice' with Michael Keaton; is that a flick that ages well? ...Up to 'Birdman' status?
post #60 of 65 Old 04-03-2015, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
Great examples. Those two movies are so funny as satire that I continue to appreciate them. And none of their sequels had the same quality, making me think the creators of the sequels missed the point of the originals entirely.
Robocop is funny satire? Starship Troopers is still awful today as it was on release. Cheesy awful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page