Closed Thread

post #1 of 31 Old 12-03-2002, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I played GOLDMEMBER on my Panny RP91 tonight. What a letdown! Oh, the movie was funny enough and looked pretty good but...pause was a prohibited operation!!!! We're about five years into the DVD format and this kind of crap is stille occuring. Pause does work on my Sony 7700 on my bedroom TV, but I have no idea how to play the "value added" material with either player. Is it possible? Am I missing something or what? Menus should be easy and idiot-proof, which means even I could operate them. I'm not impressed by little charactures of Austin bouncing about the screen.

I've said for years that DVD authoring standards are far too wide. Here's proof again. Prohibited operations is a concept that needs to go the way of the dodo bird. We ought to be able to scan past the FBI warning each and every time our little hearts desire!

Is the GOLDMEMBER DVD a good'un? Maybe it depends on what you try to play it on?

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 12-04-2002, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This disc was a little "funky". Why do they ask for widescreen format in the menu when I purchased the widescreen addition in the first plase. I actually watch the first half of the film, but "paused" it on my Toshiba 3700 so I could pick up where I left it(I wouldnt normally do this except with a movie such as this and I wanted to watch the Maryland-Indiana game. Well, the machine automattically shuts itself off after a period of time and goes back to the spot where you left it. Not so on this disc. I dont have an explanation. I also had 2 audio dropouts in the DTS format. Otherwise, smooth sailing but definitely a few "quirks"...
post #3 of 31 Old 12-04-2002, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I watched this on my RP-91 and could not pause or fast forward while playing the feature. I believe it has something to do with the infinfilm popups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 12-04-2002, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I had no problems on my Tosh SD-9200. I was very impressed with the sound quality of the DTS 6.1 Disc-ES. The opening was done extremely well. The PQ was not bad at all. I was disappointed that there were no bloopers in the features. The outakes were o.k.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #5 of 31 Old 12-04-2002, 03:46 PM

Picture froze every 5 minutes. Had to hold down FF key untill picture stated again and then hit play. Pioneer DV37 doesn't like! Infinifilm sucks if it's causing this kind of crap. This is the first DVD I have ever had a problem with in at least 3 years.
Brad
post #6 of 31 Old 12-04-2002, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You are not alone:

http://www.dvdfile.com/interactive/f...threadid=25707

I haven't had ANY problems described here or over at DVD File with my Pioneer DV-656a.

Peace......
post #7 of 31 Old 12-04-2002, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Boy & His Ampro
Picture froze every 5 minutes. Had to hold down FF key untill picture stated again and then hit play. Pioneer DV37 doesn't like! Infinifilm sucks if it's causing this kind of crap. This is the first DVD I have ever had a problem with in at least 3 years.
Can you exchange the DVD? Maybe you got a "bum" copy.

Peace.....
post #8 of 31 Old 12-05-2002, 09:58 AM
kal
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Yep - it's a strange one... had all sorts of problems with this menus on this disk in my HTPC (TheaterTek 1.2 player). First problem disc in a long time. Plays through just fine, just had problems accessing some of the menu features.

Also noticed that one of the middle chapters (the one with all the English subtitles when they're speaking Japanese) is encoded in VIDEO mode, not FILM MODE. Idiots! I hate when they do this! This has become such an issue on many discs that www.hometheaterhifi.com has started to comment on this problem on all their new reviews.

Kal
post #9 of 31 Old 12-05-2002, 10:00 AM

I have tried 2 copies now with the same results. I'll see if I can get a refund.
Brad
post #10 of 31 Old 12-05-2002, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Also noticed that one of the middle chapters (the one with all the English subtitles when they're speaking Japanese) is encoded in VIDEO mode, not FILM MODE.
This tends to happen when the subtitles where done by someone else. And I mean subtitles that are burned into the movie not the ones that can be turned on/off. What happens is another party does the subtitle work and it just stomps on the flags.

They probably have to do these hard coded subtitles in various languages for multiple countries. I suppose they could have used auto subtitles like ST EP1, but then some players have navigator bugs (Toshiba) that prevent that from working. :)
post #11 of 31 Old 12-05-2002, 11:10 AM
kal
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Yep! Right on the money Stacey! I always knew it had to do with the authoring process and usually happens whne subtitles are added... but I couldn't for the life of me figure out why a dvd authoring software production manager would always screw this up. Now that you mention that subs are usually authored in after the fact by regional counterparts (which makes sense) the reason why dvd's often have this problem is obvious!

This lack of attention to detail is what really bugs me - you'd think that the issuing studio would have some sort of Q/A process in place to ensure that the subcontracted companies doing the regional subtitles don't screw up...

Big thanks to your web site (www.hometheaterhifi.com) for bringing this more out in the open with your dvd reviews - keep it up! Eventually the studio's will learn to pay attention to what they (and their subcontractors) are doing!

Kal
post #12 of 31 Old 12-05-2002, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 316
They probably don't consider it a problem because everything is meant to be played back on an interlaced display. This is not going to cause any problems there. :)

I think the bigger problem on AP3 is the the fact that they have two copies of the film on the same disc. (title 1 and title 2) The avg bit rate is 5.6 Mbps for each version. Features when out over quality once again.
post #13 of 31 Old 12-05-2002, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
I had no problems on my Tosh SD-9200. I was very impressed with the sound quality of the DTS 6.1 Disc-ES. The opening was done extremely well. The PQ was not bad at all. I was disappointed that there were no bloopers in the features. The outakes were o.k.
I have an SD-9200 as well, and thought that the sound and the picture quality was exceptional!

Absolutely no probs with any of the functions.

Yeah Baby!!!!
post #14 of 31 Old 12-06-2002, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally posted by eggman
I have an SD-9200 as well, and thought that the sound and the picture quality was exceptional!

Absolutely no probs with any of the functions.

Yeah Baby!!!!
eggman,
sounds as if we lucked out.
:D

Anyone else not have any problems?

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #15 of 31 Old 12-06-2002, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

I had the same problems with not being able to pause or fast forward while playing the disc in my Panasonic RP-56.
post #16 of 31 Old 12-06-2002, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 882
I'd love to find out if my Rp91 handles it OK but amazon.ca has now twice sent me the Pan & scan version instead of the WIDESCREEN version which I had originally ordered. Friggin tools.

I will give them one more time to send me the correct version. If they screw up again then refund city, here I come.

This dvd is sounding like the original CE of Dinosaur when it came out what, 1.5-2 years ago. Same types of problems.
post #17 of 31 Old 12-06-2002, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I finally figured out the menu using my Sony 7700. Menus ought to be painfully obvious! I'm proably going to keep the disc because in the future I'll be playing it on my Sony 9000 or whatever my next player turns out to be. If the Panny was my only player, it would go back. Maybe I should return it to make a point to New Line?

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #18 of 31 Old 12-06-2002, 10:27 PM

I had the exact problem with my Pioneer DV-37: picture froze every 5 minutes and had to fast forward to get it going again. The picture and sound were excellent when it did play however.

Too bad the software sucks on this disc. I hope they come out with a new version. Infinfilms should really do a recall of this disc due to major software problems. I have sampled comments from three home theater forums and many DVD players are having these same problems.
post #19 of 31 Old 12-08-2002, 08:14 AM

Ditto on the Pioneer DV-37. DVD froze about every 5 minutes. Works fine on my computer.
post #20 of 31 Old 12-08-2002, 11:46 PM

I cannot use the fast-forward, rewind, or pause functions at all at any point while watching Goldmember on my RP-91 (v250 firmware). Very frustrating!! Why is this a problem with Panasonic players and not others??

If you read the *fine* print on the back of the case, there is this little disclaimer:
"This disc is applicable with all DVD specifications and requirements. Some advanced features may not function on certain players."

Advanced features?? Since when are functions like fast-forward, rewind and pause "advanced features"?? Maybe I'm reading it wrong but basic functions like these should work normally, so you would think. This stinks since those functions would get a workout on this movie. It's definitely the funniest of the three!

yawny

P.S. If you want to voice your frustration to New Line, go here:
http://www.newline.com/he/dvd/feedback.shtml
post #21 of 31 Old 12-10-2002, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

I sent feedback to New Line via their website and received an email reply.

They admit that there is a problem on Panasonic players, but of course their suggestion is to contact Panasonic. No big surprise there.

These slightly incompatible DVDs seem to be a more regularly occurring problem. Since there is supposed to be a standard, it would be interesting to know if it's the DVDs or the players that are introducing the incompatibilities.

There's always the possibility that there are some gray areas in the standard which can be interpreted in more than one way. If the player manufacturer and the DVD encoder implement them differently, problems can arise.

I wonder if there would be any recourse if it was shown that a player or a DVD violated the standard, since they all claim to follow it?

-- Greg
post #22 of 31 Old 12-11-2002, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by watchformore
I sent feedback to New Line via their website and received an email reply. They admit that there is a problem on Panasonic players, but of course their suggestion is to contact Panasonic. No big surprise there.
I got the same reply from New Line about my Panasonic RP-91 player as well. Wonder what the problem is and if a firmware update can fix it. I already have the latest version of the firmware for this player (v250), so I wonder if Panasonic will come out with an update.

I'm definitely not going to buy another player just to play the New Line releases with Infinifilm "features". Guess that leaves not buying any other Infinifilm release from New Line...

yawny
post #23 of 31 Old 12-12-2002, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Just for fun, I used the customer feedback form on Panasonic's website to pose the question to them.

Even though I asked for them to provide specifics if they claim that the DVD is not to spec, I'm not really hoping for much. It would be nice to be surprised with a meaningful answer from them though.

-- Greg
post #24 of 31 Old 12-12-2002, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Rachael,

"........ We're about five years into the DVD format and this kind of crap is still occuring......"

Now you know why I stayed with VHS so long and maybe why you stayed with LD so long. :D

I only own about 30 DVD's and have rented maybe 20 so far, but all pause. Your experience is a new get-mad-at-DVD-quality/standards-control item, I guess.

Phil
post #25 of 31 Old 12-12-2002, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have a Tosh SD-5109 and I can pause, rewind, fast forward and stop it, power off and resume from where I left off. No problems at all.

You measure your TV in INCHES? How cute! 9.16 Ft Diagonally, Yeah, Baby!
post #26 of 31 Old 12-13-2002, 11:46 AM

I've had problems with the movie simply going into the "Pause" mode all by itself. Happened about a dozen times throughout the movie. Went back to exchange and the same thing happened at the exact same spot on the DVD Movie.

I have a Pioneer Elite DV-37 which I've never had problems with. Guess I'll have to forego this one for the collection.

Pat

...Still searching for the "Audio/Video Guide for Dummies" book
post #27 of 31 Old 01-07-2003, 03:32 AM

I have an Panny RP82. I had problems using pause, rewind, and fast-forward, as well. I could use chapter skip and stop. Sometimes, if I used the chapter skip and immediately tried rewinding or forwarding, then they would work. But, once I let it play for a while, they stopped working again.

However, the movie would play fine without pausing on it's own. I also had no trouble with navigating menus, nor with functions within added video features. I was hoping it wasn't just my player. Very annoying and you're right, we shouldn't have to deal with DVDs being this way at 5 years old. I don't blame the player. I think it's the softwares responsibility this round.

Other than that, the movie was great and it looked great, too.

"There are only two things I can't stand in this world.........people who are intolerant of other people's cultures.........and the DUTCH."
Nigel Powers, "Goldmember"
post #28 of 31 Old 01-07-2003, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Yep,freezes up every five minutes on my trusty dv-37,what a bummer.I can't remember having trouble with any other disc. Jim
post #29 of 31 Old 01-07-2003, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have an ancient Pioneer DV-500 that will not pause or FF/RW. I noticed on mine, the angle icon appears on the front of my player most of the time...I waited until it went off to press pause and it did, but I had to press play about ten times for it to start playing again. I've had my player updated when the first wave of "enhanced" dvd came out such as The Matrix and since then this is the only disc that has given my player fits. Oh yeah, My PC with zoom player and winDVD decoders plays it fine with no problems pausing or otherwise. Screwy disc.

Bricktop
post #30 of 31 Old 01-08-2003, 01:32 PM

I have a relatively new Panasonic CP-72, and have problems pausing, rew, and ff'ing this disc. My findings were similar to Vikes' above. It was intermittent. Pretty damn annoying, if you ask me.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Anderpants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page