Review films of the 1990s here! - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 151Likes

post #181 of 185 Old 03-24-2019, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan View Post
It just might be my favorite DeNiro performance of all. lol. Seriously, he should have won the Oscar for it or at least been nominated for one.
Agreed. I love the scene where Ordell scolds Louis who is on the phone while stoned. Watching him untwist the phone cord before hanging up is such an understated scene of pure hilarity. A master at work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-03-24-11h18m13s297.png
Views:	16
Size:	872.6 KB
ID:	2543706  

-Shimon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 185 Old 04-23-2019, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Se7en (1995), directed by David Fincher.

The City is entirely evil here, with no redeeming features, apart from its large library. Where you can look up evil things.

-Bill
This is my favorite line from the entire thread. Not even the library is safe from evil...

It is one of my favorite scenes in the movie, helped by the fact that it's set to Bach's Suite No. 3 (Air), which is a perfect accompaniment IMO. I like how many of your reviews capture the context of your viewing of it. Memories of the Grand Theatre in Des Moines with notes on the context of the time (fashion, music, etc) do well to frame how a movie is received. That context is so important to understanding how opinions are formed.

That's very likely why I'll always have a soft spot for Se7en. My initial viewing came in a large theater in my hometown (Camden, SC, the state's oldest inland city). I think it was an old performance space (stage plays) that was converted into a movie theater. I was there, at 16 years of age with my best friend and no one else in the cavernous space. So consider the content and style of the movie being absorbed by an impressionable 16 year old, small town southern bumpkin. I was an easy mark so to speak. Then, of course, as we left the theater, a sunny afternoon had transitioned into a rainy night. I'm sure that didn't help either, subconsciously at least.

I still really like the movie and it's my favorite of Fincher's, but I also don't think it would have made such an imprint on my psyche had I experienced it as a more well-traveled adult.
Tack and wmcclain like this.
post #183 of 185 Old 05-10-2019, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Eyes Wide Shut, by Cubric
Perfect Nicole
Perfect Tom
Perfect light, music and costumes
What else should we need&
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 185 Old 05-10-2019, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyGreen View Post
Eyes Wide Shut, by Cubric
Perfect Nicole
Perfect Tom
Perfect light, music and costumes
What else should we need&
Is Cubric a parallel-universe version of Kubrick who has embraced cubism? Should make for some interesting imagery.
Ben23 likes this.

-Shimon
post #185 of 185 Old 05-10-2019, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4498 Post(s)
Liked: 4284
The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain (1995), written and directed by Christopher Monger.

British government surveyors enter Wales during WW1. There are worse places to be in 1917. When villagers are told that their local mountain will be reclassified as a "hill" if it measures less than 1000 feet high, they respond with shock and outrage. Having a mountain is a point of civic pride.

Maybe if they can keep the visitors in town long enough -- sabotage their car, hide the trains -- they can make adjustments to the terrain of Ffynnon Garw, just enough to put it over the limit. The younger of the two surveyors, recovering from shell shock, knows what is going on and doesn't mind at all. Especially after meeting Miss Elizabeth, also known as "Betty from Cardiff" depending on how she is dressed.

This is a sweet tale, told as a story that has already passed into legend, but still within living memory, if that is possible. Sweet enough to be cloying in spots, but let that go. Not as wacky as Local Hero (1983) but with the same type of charm.

Not an ambitious film, but I wanted to see Hugh Grant and Tara Fitzgerald again after Sirens (1994), made the previous year. He had by then perfected his shy stammering Englishman persona, and she had an inviting, impossibly wide smile.

Also with Ian McNeice (Year of the Comet (1992), Edge of Darkness (1985)) and Colm Meaney (Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) as "Morgan the Goat", the lecherous pub owner. Lots of red-haired babies being born when the other men are away at war.

I also want to point out Ian Hart (The End of the Affair (1999)) as "Johnny Shellshocked" who had a bad war in France. The war intrudes in other ways: the nation needs extra coal and the Welsh supply it, a dangerous trade. People die on the homefront, too.

Lyrical score.

Available on DVD and on some Blu-ray imports which I haven't seen. My old DVD is non-anamorphic, sad treatment for a scope ratio title. I see what look like later DVD releases but don't know about their encoding.

-Bill
Tack and ChromeJob like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page