Tomorrowland in Dolby Vision HDR and Atmos at El Capitan Theatre - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #91 of 157 Old 05-24-2015, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Hard to say; that was a couple of weeks ago now, with a vacation in between. It certainly looked great in the TCL Chinese Imax, but I'd need to do an immediate comparison to really discern any differences. I assume the preview at the Chinese was not graded for HDR, but I don't know that for sure.
I thought the projection at TCL looked very good on the demo material at SMPTE, but Furious 7 had so much sharpening (what some may refer to as edge enhancement) that outlines were clearly visible and the image looked harsh to me. I hope this looks much better and hope to see it across the street soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 157 Old 05-24-2015, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I'm heading to the North Point Mall Dolby Cinema on tomorrow morning to see Tomorrowland, can't wait.

Was wondering why they closed the theater for a few weeks. Had to see Mad Max in a normal 3D theater, which was a disappointment. The theater, certainly not the movie.

I assume Tomorrowland will be the other way around, as the reviews aren't good, so I'm strictly going to check out this tech.

Hope Jurassic World is in this theater and has the splendid presentation as well.
post #93 of 157 Old 05-24-2015, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just to chime in with the KC crowd; I saw Tomorrowland in the BarryWoods Dolby Prime room, and it was quite wonderful.
The tack sharp picture dripping with detail, over the top sound, and comfy seats made for the best movie going experience I've ever had.
I can't say much for the movie itself beyond enjoying the cast doing their thing (Keegan-Michael Key always makes me smile).
I only wish I didn't have to drive 40 minutes for this kind of quality. I'd definitely make a point of going to more movies if a Dolby Prime were near by.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 157 Old 05-25-2015, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I saw this at the Atlanta (Alpharetta) venue AMC North Point 12 in their Dolby cinema theater.

I have to say, this was my absolute best movie-going experience ever, the stadium seating, power recliners, butt-kickers and that beautiful image from the laser PJ were all great. The atmos was good, but the level cranked up to high and occasionally the speakers (or amps) would overload. I'm hyper-sensitive to distortion, so I heard every time. But in general, it was way better than most cinemas, which just butcher the sound.
The reserved seating is great, I'd never drive an hour only to wind up in crappy seats, but knowing ahead of time I have a good seat, then sure, i'm in.

HDR is impressive, I noticed several scenes where it was clearly showing a much wider contrast level, specifically all the reflections off the mechanical computer parts in one of the scenes near the end, that lighting contrast made that scene almost 3D. As others have mentioned, you do get used to it and the picture just looks more 'real'. I see that as a good thing, if only 3D managed to get out of the way like that, we'd see more of that. So I'd say HDR is here to stay, and I'm glad it is part of the UHD spec.

I liked the movie itself, unlike so many scripts, this one was not predictable, it holds an optimistic view of the future and features a strong, smart young female lead. The action scenes are well done, with a good balance of emotion and sheer CG wizardry. I'll be buying the UHD disc version whenever that comes out in a year or two.

All in all, this kind of movie experience is what it takes to get me out of my wonderful dedicated theater (4K PJ, superb audio, comfy seats, no other patrons), drive an hour and pay whatever the tickets cost.
sdurani and Aras_Volodka like this.

Jonathan
post #95 of 157 Old 05-25-2015, 03:29 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Just saw Tomorrowland at El Capitan Saturday. We sat in the front row of the second balcony. ..........To end on a positive note, I felt the subs were nicely integrated, with deep extension and smooth response, and none of that "1-note" bass honk still found in too many cinemas.
Thanks for the review Roger, went to see it last night with the kids. I fell asleep during all the blah blah, kids were not that impressed either by the movie

Yes ATMOS PQ was good but the movie really was a disappointment, the trailer was the best part
post #96 of 157 Old 05-26-2015, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Tomorrow Land huge "bust" at box office - worse opening since The Lone Ranger - as always who cares about the advanced technology when Disney makes a 180 mil movie about a ride at their park. HDR, 8K, wiz bang, wow! Content will always trump tech, as Louie B Mayer said back when movies were great "just tell me a damn story"
post #97 of 157 Old 05-26-2015, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 7743 Post(s)
Liked: 7046
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
I don't really understand you guys. What do you do, make plans for a night out, get dressed up and stay at home sitting on the couch watching a movie? Boring.
Who mentioned making plans for a night out, or getting dressed up? And how is watching a movie at home with a few buddies any different to watching it in a theater with the same few buddies? Well, other than the usually poor sound and picture and the hundreds of people texting, snacking, talking and farting?
post #98 of 157 Old 05-26-2015, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 434
You miss out on so much not seeing a movie until months after it was released. Heck its hard to hide from spoilers when a film premiers in a different country a week or two ahead of the States, let alone seeing it months after the fact.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #99 of 157 Old 05-26-2015, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
You miss out on so much not seeing a movie until months after it was released. Heck its hard to hide from spoilers when a film premiers in a different country a week or two ahead of the States, let alone seeing it months after the fact.
That is a ongoing debate with studios, as is the matter that a vast majority of movies are aimed for other than north American markets. Disney plans to open SW7 in London two weeks before the US open. I bet someone has a box full of hate mail. Actually it's not a debate, it's a toe to toe argument.

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.

Some servers can do non-encrypted playback to an A/V projector, but it's just a ridiculously expensive media player if you don't have a cinema projector.
post #100 of 157 Old 05-26-2015, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
And how is watching a movie at home with a few buddies any different to watching it in a theater with the same few buddies? Well, other than the usually poor sound and picture and the hundreds of people texting, snacking, talking and farting?
I don't have to clean up afterwards.

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.

Some servers can do non-encrypted playback to an A/V projector, but it's just a ridiculously expensive media player if you don't have a cinema projector.
post #101 of 157 Old 05-26-2015, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDailey View Post
Tomorrow Land huge "bust" at box office - worse opening since The Lone Ranger - as always who cares about the advanced technology when Disney makes a 180 mil movie about a ride at their park. HDR, 8K, wiz bang, wow! Content will always trump tech, as Louie B Mayer said back when movies were great "just tell me a damn story"
You need to work for a studio since you can predict a movies revenue course in 4 days of its opening.

post #102 of 157 Old 05-26-2015, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked: 3311
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
You need to work for a studio since you can predict a movies revenue course in 4 days of its opening.
Box office analysts can predict a movie's revenue course after opening night. And usually aren't far off. Audience attendance patterns are very predictable.
kbarnes701 likes this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #103 of 157 Old 05-26-2015, 03:40 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked: 5116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Just saw Tomorrowland at El Capitan Saturday. We sat in the front row of the second balcony. Eyes even with top of screen. Was very eager to see HDR, and technologically, it did not disappoint. Plenty of brightness, vivid color, and more importantly to me, blackness on the screen. But that happened only selectively. There were plenty of night-time scenes where the whole screen was still lit with the usual gray raster that normally passes for darkness in cinemas. Perhaps it is not easy to expand images into the ink without "black crush" so they were better left alone? I'm looking forward to an HDR movie where all dark scenes (where appropriate) go black.

The Atmos mix was good -- heard occasions where the side walls carried individual pools of sound displaced front to rear, all at the same time. The heights effectively added to the presentation without distraction.

The El Cap is a wonderful piece of history. But, being large and largely untreated acoustically, it has significant reverb. Happily, no slap echo, but dialog intelligibility is not state of the art by a wide margin. I accept that under these circumstances. What I cannot accept is the poor tuning of the screen channels. From the first words out of Clooney's mouth it was obvious there is significant midbass lumpiness and untamed excess. Totally unnatural, and this afflicted female voices just as much. Does anyone actually listen to their work after tuning these rooms? So sad, especially because, unlike the reverb, it is so easy to fix.

To end on a positive note, I felt the subs were nicely integrated, with deep extension and smooth response, and none of that "1-note" bass honk still found in too many cinemas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Saw Tomorrowland at the El Capitan theatre Saturday morning with fellow AVS members Ivan Pino, Scott Simonian and Roger Dressler. The movie itself was enjoyable enough, though for me probably the weakest of Brad Bird's career. The best thing about this movie was Raffey Cassidy as Athena.

The Atmos mix was nice, with occasional height imaging and off-screen dialogue. The main problem with the sound was the reverberant auditorium; not like slap-echo reverberant, but enough extended decay to muddy the dialogue at times. Having experience the same problem watching Avengers and Mad Max across the street at the TCL IMAX, I chalked it up to both theatres being historical landmarks that can't have acoustic treatments covering their expensively-restored ornate interiors.

Speaking of the TCL IMAX, having just seen the aforementioned couple of movies at that theatre with dual laser projectors, I didn't know how much to attribute the picture quality at the El Cap to the laser projection and how much to attribute to HDR. It's not like there was a laser-projected non-HDR version of the movie playing alongside for comparison, like the dual monitor displays at trade shows, where the difference is down to a single variable (HDR). I didn't like the movie enough to see it again in a regular theatre, but even if I did, how would I know how much the dimmer image was due to a lack of laser projection or due to a lack of HDR?

Despite not knowing how much to attribute to which technology, I will say that the projected image was absolutely stunning. Bright, punchy, detailed; like looking at a 4K LCD display blown up to the size of a motion picture screen. A couple of shots appeared to have been shot with HDR in mind, like when Clooney is looking down at the girl and we can see the sun directly over his shoulder. There also seemed to be missed opportunities; scenes where the blacks appeared dark grey and not like the kind of blacks I've seen on plasma TVs.

The only downside, which is not the fault of the technology, is how quickly I got used to it. Early in the movie I leaned over to Ivan and whispered that the image didn't look spectacular, just normal (like how I see the world in real life). Don't know if that's good or bad, but it didn't take long to stop being impressed by the image and just taking it for granted. Maybe I've been spoiled because the last two movies I saw used dual laser-projectors.

On the drive home, we talked about movie technologies that were immediately noticeable. Scott mentioned seeing high frame rate for the first time with the most recent Hobbit movie. From the moment the Warner Bros. logo came on screen, he knew something was different. And the first time you see someone moving, within a second you know you're not watching 24fps. Ivan went all the way back to Toy Story 2, which was the first movie he saw projected digitally. Upon seeing the green band of the first trailer, he knew within seconds that this was something different: no grain, no gate weave, none of the tell-tale signs of film. For me it was the first few seconds of Transformers 3, during the Paramount logo, where the transformers signature sound effect goes around the room. There was absolutely no doubt in my mind that I was listening to a 7.1 mix, and the movie itself hadn't even started yet.

By comparison, the benefits of HDR were less clear. We kinda had to go looking for shots in Tomorrowland that we thought might have benefited from HDR (again, lack of comparison kept us from knowing for sure). Like I said, having just seen two movies in laser made this presentation look like an incremental improvement at best, but not the immediately noticeable differences we talked about on the drive home.

Saw Tomorrowland in HDR this past weekend with: @ivanpino , @Roger Dressler and @sdurani at the El Capitan movie theater in Hollywood.

There is plenty to go on about the theater and sound but this is about HDR.

I can only echo what has been posted so far. The picture simply looked perfect or completely ideal to me. I had no complaints aside from wishing the screen was larger. From our balcony seats, the picture seems like a really big screen tv. However everything else was excellent. Great contrast and brightness! Colors looked solid and motion was clear and sharp. Speaking of, this was a very sharp picture. I'd love to have sharpness like this at home.

As for the HDR effect, I'm not sure. The brightness and contrast were so good. Really good. Though I can't say for sure what I am seeing is not just really good projection from a laser source. This is my third time viewing a new movie in theaters with laser projection. The two other times were at the TCL Chinese for both Avengers: Age of Ultron and Mad Max. Both looked great and had excellent brightness and contrast even though they were in 3D. I find that the glasses can often bring the blacks in line and not look so much 'greyed out'. Tomorrowland was not in 3D which I looked forward to getting my retinas burnt but that was not the case. The picture was just perfect or "normal" in a good way. I understand that HDR is about a wider gamut of brightness to darkness though and I felt like only some of the time did I get an impression of more white than white and really no sense of deeper blacks or any extra shadow detail. It looked great but no way to compare what it should look like, if that makes sense. I joked after the movie that the one scene with Clooney talking to the girl with the sun behind him was a "shot for HDR" kind of scene. That seemed like an obvious choice and it did look like it could hang with the huge dynamic range and not be clipped.

So was the HDR worth the extra effort? I think so. Hard to say for sure without seeing it again in non-HDR laser projection. That will probably never happen though. All of us came out going "well... I wasn't 'wow'd' but the picture was darn near perfect".

4K = Always notice and appreciate
HFR = Definitely notice and not so much enjoy in movies
Atmos = Definitely notice and enjoy, as long as the mix uses it
HDR = Not sure if I notice but I can't see that it will not improve things always
mo949 likes this.
post #104 of 157 Old 05-26-2015, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 216 Post(s)
Quoted: 7317 Post(s)
Liked: 6368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
I looked forward to getting my retinas burnt but that was not the case.
I know, right? With laser and HDR and no 3D glasses to dim the picture, I thought the day time scenes would have me reflexively reaching for my Ray Bans. There was even a post early in this thread asking Scott Wilkinson whether HDR made the viewing experience fatiguing. So, I was ready for the "ow, my eyes" moment, but instead it just looked like real life. Not that I'm complaining; just ended up different from what I was expecting.

Sanjay
post #105 of 157 Old 05-26-2015, 04:01 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked: 5116
For the best, I'm sure.

The picture was highly ideal. Now we just need more content to really make some comparisons and subjective impressions.
post #106 of 157 Old 05-26-2015, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 216 Post(s)
Quoted: 7317 Post(s)
Liked: 6368
More content is a few weeks away. Pixar's 'Inside Out' is due out in HDR next month, at your fave theatre no less.

Sanjay
post #107 of 157 Old 05-26-2015, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
I've rarely or never had a problem with this. Actually since I don't watch commercials I rarely even know a movie exists until it's released on disc. The exception is huge blockbusters that generate word of mouth. But the smaller releases I generally hear about when they get posted to Amazon or Netflix.

You must read different websites than I do, or watch commercial TV.
post #108 of 157 Old 05-26-2015, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
Quote:
I know, right? With laser and HDR and no 3D glasses to dim the picture, I thought the day time scenes would have me reflexively reaching for my Ray Bans. There was even a post early in this thread asking Scott Wilkinson whether HDR made the viewing experience fatiguing. So, I was ready for the "ow, my eyes" moment, but instead it just looked like real life. Not that I'm complaining; just ended up different from what I was expecting.
I don't know if you caught the part where Scott mentioned it was displayed at a peak brightness of 31 FTL. That number is far lower than most people set their TV's up for at home, including pro calibrators, so its really no surprise you found the picture comfortable to view and the contrast to be excellent.

The sunglasses comments come from people that are aware of the 2,900+ FTL level that Dolby Vision says is their goal for brightness; certainly a lot brighter than 31FTL
post #109 of 157 Old 05-26-2015, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post
I saw this at the Atlanta (Alpharetta) venue AMC North Point 12 in their Dolby cinema theater.

I have to say, this was my absolute best movie-going experience ever, the stadium seating, power recliners, butt-kickers and that beautiful image from the laser PJ were all great. The atmos was good, but the level cranked up to high and occasionally the speakers (or amps) would overload. I'm hyper-sensitive to distortion, so I heard every time. But in general, it was way better than most cinemas, which just butcher the sound.
The reserved seating is great, I'd never drive an hour only to wind up in crappy seats, but knowing ahead of time I have a good seat, then sure, i'm in.

HDR is impressive, I noticed several scenes where it was clearly showing a much wider contrast level, specifically all the reflections off the mechanical computer parts in one of the scenes near the end, that lighting contrast made that scene almost 3D. As others have mentioned, you do get used to it and the picture just looks more 'real'. I see that as a good thing, if only 3D managed to get out of the way like that, we'd see more of that. So I'd say HDR is here to stay, and I'm glad it is part of the UHD spec.

I liked the movie itself, unlike so many scripts, this one was not predictable, it holds an optimistic view of the future and features a strong, smart young female lead. The action scenes are well done, with a good balance of emotion and sheer CG wizardry. I'll be buying the UHD disc version whenever that comes out in a year or two.

All in all, this kind of movie experience is what it takes to get me out of my wonderful dedicated theater (4K PJ, superb audio, comfy seats, no other patrons), drive an hour and pay whatever the tickets cost.
Saw the film on yesterday at North Point; not a bad movie.

However, the picture was very impressive and looked photo realistic. They also seem to have upgraded an already great Atmos sound system. Well worth the price and can't wait for other summer movies in Dolby Cinema.
post #110 of 157 Old 05-27-2015, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Just so I'm clear, the AMC Burbank is not showing TOMORROWLAND in Dolby Vision?
post #111 of 157 Old 05-27-2015, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1292
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Quote:

Despite not knowing how much to attribute to which technology, I will say that the projected image was absolutely stunning. Bright, punchy, detailed; like looking at a 4K LCD display blown up to the size of a motion picture screen. A couple of shots appeared to have been shot with HDR in mind, like when Clooney is looking down at the girl and we can see the sun directly over his shoulder. There also seemed to be missed opportunities; scenes where the blacks appeared dark grey and not like the kind of blacks I've seen on plasma TVs.

Simply go see the movie in Imax and I believe you may notice that despite lesser contrast ratio, that the Imax preserves 80% of the wow factor. Why simply because the way laser colors are perceived more saturated.

I too think that a lighter HDR is perhaps more desirable if we want to preserve our retinas,. I grew up looking at the sun in the caribbean, Dolby can be stronger than that with the excess top of it's range, also the lowest 5% appears to crush black, so i look forward to more easy on the eyes HDR.
post #112 of 157 Old 05-27-2015, 01:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator View Post
Just so I'm clear, the AMC Burbank is not showing TOMORROWLAND in Dolby Vision?
Correct.

I asked about this a couple weeks ago and this was their response

Quote:
I understand you were curious about the opening date of our newly remodeled Dolby Cinema opening. I'm unsure if you were aware of the following information, but our renovation starting date has been pushed to June 1st and is expected to be ready by the release of the new Pixar film 'Inside Out', June 16. Of course this is the best case scenario and we hope no further delays occur.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.
My contact information is stated below.
reanimator likes this.

DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips
post #113 of 157 Old 05-27-2015, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Watched it in my local cinema that has no dolby vision obviously and have to say that the screen I saw it on was not so big but the picture quality was just so awesome. I think I could even see the HDR if that's even possible on a non HDR cinema screen/projector set up.

I noticed the different hues of blue in the sky, the greens in the foliage and overall colours really did pop - without the colours being saturated.

Especially the clothes that the children (recruiting robot children) were wearing at the end scene showed a lot of real natural colours.

The image was very photo like realism. Maybe it could of been the setup because I've never watched it in that particular screen in my cinema.

The movie started off rubbish, then got interesting then exciting and then got a bit rubbish again. Movie was ok, Sorry.

Sony 3D HMZ-T3 Owner
3D Blu-ray Supporter
4K Supporter?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I like to bully 1080p 3D TV owners
But I can not bully the 3D TV owners with upscaled UHD 3D.

Last edited by The Banshee; 05-27-2015 at 11:27 AM.
post #114 of 157 Old 05-27-2015, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Have to say though.....that HDR won't necessarily be 3D like but in one way it does have the capability of becoming very 3D like.

Explanation:

After watching the movie I went straight to PCWorld Currys and checked out the 65" Sony Tvs and Samsungs. The sony had a wildlife demo and the image looked very natural.
They were playing a landscape demo on the Samsung and the image looked very 3D like as I could see the separation of the foreground and background. From the scale of 1-10 of how 3D the 2D image looked, I will give it a 7 or 8. I believe this is Samsung's high dynamic contrast coming into play here. It was the Samsung J9000 series and so on.

So I wonder if HDR does actually have the ability to make movies look very 3D like.
Keyword here being 'dynamic' which we always put on low or off on our tv PQ settings!

Also have to say that the black bars on top and bottom and during end credits wasn't really black whilst watching Tomorrowland in my cinema. The black was more like toned down greyblack rather then pure black when compared to my TV's black levels. (samsung F86 flagship).

Sony 3D HMZ-T3 Owner
3D Blu-ray Supporter
4K Supporter?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I like to bully 1080p 3D TV owners
But I can not bully the 3D TV owners with upscaled UHD 3D.
post #115 of 157 Old 05-27-2015, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As a hardcore videophile I was not that impressed with the HDR showing of Tomorrowland at the El Capitan Theater in Hollywood.

I noticed no special image quality at all. The only thing that jumped out at me was the clarity of the image on the extreme close ups of George Cloony's face. The colors did not pop or awe me. Perhaps the quality of the image of my Samsung PN64F8500 plasma has spoiled me. I actually started to question if this was really an HDR screening.

ATMOS failed to impress also. There were little to no overhead effects, including the rain scenes. Sound engineers are clearly still learning to maximize the use of this medium.

I saw Brave in ATMOS also and that too was not that impressive. I'm even more bullish on ATMOS in the home after seeing Tomorrowland.
post #116 of 157 Old 05-28-2015, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Maybe the bird should stick to The Incredibles franchise.
post #117 of 157 Old 05-28-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
I have not gotten a definitive answer to this question yet. The Imax laser-illuminated projectors are certainly capable of HDR—Age of Ultron and Furious 7 were shown with a peak brightness of 22 foot-lamberts, and that was with the lasers at 30% output. But those movies were not graded for HDR, and I don't know what system would be used to prepare an HDR-graded movie to be shown in HDR in an Imax LIP theater. It probably wouldn't be Dolby Vision—that is proprietary to Christie projectors, and Imax uses Barco projectors—which leaves the Technicolor, Philips, and BBC HDR formats. I don't know if Imax has been working to implement one of these systems—or something else—in its LIPs, but I'm trying to find out. Stay tuned...
thanks Scott! it will be interesting to see how IMAX responds and if they get something in place before the new Star Wars movie in December...
post #118 of 157 Old 05-28-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyFingaz View Post
Scott, do you know if there are any theaters in Canada with Dolby Cinema?
there is a dolby vision projection in one studio grading hall in Toronto already, that kind of gives some hopes, No?

Id guess next year...
post #119 of 157 Old 05-29-2015, 04:30 PM

Tomorrowland yanked out of Dolby Cinema in ATLANTA

Just showing in IMAX over there now...

Hello NY, coming soon new DC theaters...

IDNK San Andreas had been re-graded...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	No-more-tomorrowland-in-georgia.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	744201  
post #120 of 157 Old 05-29-2015, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3083 Post(s)
Liked: 4857
Not sure if this was posted among all the theater talk but I found it a good read.
Quote:
Every time I report on a remake or a sequel being made, I hear a lot of moans and groans from movie fans wanting to see Hollywood develop more original content. I would love nothing more than to see more films based on original ideas, but making these kinds of films is a gamble in the entertainment industry. Studios are scared to invest in films that don't already have a built-in market. When these studios make a sequel to a popular franchise, they know they are going to make a ****load of money. They don’t have that feeling of security with original film productions.
Disney recently bet big on an original project called Tomorrowland, which was inspired by the theme park attraction as well as the imagination and dreams of Walt Disney himself. The movie was directed by Brad Bird from a script by Damon Lindelof, and for the most part I really enjoyed the movie and thought it was an incredibly fun sci-fi adventure. Even though the general concept had a built-in Disney market, it didn’t do as well as Disney had hoped. It took the number one box office spot during Memorial Day weekend with over $41 million, but the studio was hoping for at least $50 million. The budget for the film was $180 million, and I’m sure it will eventually make a profit, but not the kind of profit that would inspire them to want to try and make another big budget original film.
I'm using Tomorrowland as an example because it's the most recent original movie to be made, but I've seen it happen a lot with other original movies as well. I was sad to see a lot of film critics and movie geeks out there tear Tomorrowland movie down. It gave us something very different from what we’re used to seeing get made with a good message, but a good amount of people out there looked past that aspect of it and focused on the faults. Most films have faults, even the ones that many of us love.
This is the kind of film that movie fans have been begging for, yet when it finally gets made and is released in theaters, they complain about it and bash it. This was an opportunity for people to come out in support of original film ideas, and praise its creators for trying something new. It was an opportunity to get other people pumped about original film ideas and show Hollywood that we are open to new ideas. Unfortunately that’s not what happened, and it’s a shame because now Hollywood is going to go back to being scared to pump out more original movie ideas, because of how this movie was received. Variety even wrote up an article on how Tomorrowland exposed Hollywood's originality issues and it includes several analysts and experts explaining why that's the case.
I’m a big fan of Bird and the projects that he’s done, and for me this movie felt like one of his animated feature films, only it was live-action. What’s funny about this is that I truly believe that if Tomorrowland would have been developed as an animated feature film in Bird’s classic Iron Giant animation style, with the exact same script, everyone would have loved it.
One of the reasons why I liked Tomorrowland so much is because it had that same tone and vibe as The Iron Giant. It had that childhood sense of wonder and imagination that some movies have the power to tap into and bring out in me. This is one of those films — it’s why I love going to the movies! I’m not sure why some people couldn’t see that in Tomorrowland, because it was there. For me at least.
It seems to me that even though people claim to want original, fresh, and unique movie content, they are more interested in spending money on sequels and reboots. It’s a sad truth, and it’s the reason why Hollywood will continue to pump them out. If you want to see original movies get made, you seriously have to start supporting the ones that are getting made. If you don’t, then we need to stop complaining about all the non-original projects that are being released.
Then of course there's the argument that the original movies that Hollywood releases shouldn't be crap. I guess that just all comes down to a person's taste in movies, but at least there are talented people out there trying something new and different. We should at least acknowledge that these people are trying to break free from the Hollywood trap of remakes and sequels.
The audience decides what movies Hollywood makes, and that's whatever they are willing to spend money on, and right now it doesn't seem to be on original film ideas. The power is in our hands to make the change.
I'm a glass half-full kind of guy, keeping things positive when I can, so this is just my two cents.

CINERAMAX likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page