Tomorrowland in Dolby Vision HDR and Atmos at El Capitan Theatre - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #151 of 157 Old 08-14-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7355 Post(s)
Liked: 6420
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stockton View Post
I have yet to experience HDR, but I know matching a True 70 MM will not be easy, let alone surpassing it.
70mm has an image area that is 55mm wide while IMAX has an image area that is a full 70mm wide AND goes through fewer generations on its way to a theatrical print. If the larger IMAX image couldn't match the resolution of 4K then it's smaller sibling (70mm 5-perf pull down) has no chance.

Sanjay

Last edited by sdurani; 08-14-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 157 Old 08-14-2015, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
70mm has an image area that is 55mm wide while IMAX has an image area that is a full 70mm wide AND goes through fewer generations on its way to a theatrical print. If the larger IMAX image couldn't match the resolution of 4K then it's smaller sibling (70mm 5-perf pull down) has no chance.

LOL...Are you kidding me. Even 8K would not be able to get close to the resolution of a full IMAX 70/15, let alone a mere 4k. 4K is roughly equivalent to a 35 MM print, at best.

Last edited by John Stockton; 08-14-2015 at 07:55 PM.
post #153 of 157 Old 08-14-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stockton View Post
LOL...Are you kidding me. Even 8K would not be able to get close to the resolution of a full IMAX 70/15, let alone a mere 4k. 4K is roughly equivalent to a 35 MM print.
The inability for 15/70 IMAX to resolve 4K pixels was demonstrated in public, by IMAX engineers themselves, at the Large Film Format Seminar at the AMC Universal Studios IMAX theatre. Too late to pretend it didn't happen.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 157 Old 08-15-2015, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you honestly believe 4K has a better picture quality than IMAX 70/15 then we have nothing else to talk about. Lets agree to disagree.
post #155 of 157 Old 08-15-2015, 10:40 AM

What you're doing is referred to as "argument from incredulity"; i.e., your only counterpoint seems to be that you personally don't believe it, therefore it cannot be true. By comparison, I'm referencing a demo done by IMAX engineers. This isn't a case where they did an experiment in secret and you have to accept their findings on faith. The demo was done in public, at a seminar where an audience full of fans of large format film witnessed for themselves that a series of alternating black & white pixels turned gray before the number could reach 4K.
skoolpsyk and Josh Z like this.

Sanjay
post #156 of 157 Old 02-26-2018, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I saw this movie for the first time in our home theater around two years ago and it has gnawed away at my mind ever since. Very few movies have that effect on me.

I propose that the two greatest sci-fi movies of all time are "The Matrix" and "Tomorrowland". I'll provide supporting arguments as to why, but first I'd like to know if anyone agrees with me and, if so, more importantly to me, just exactly why.

I'd be interested to read what others who agree with me have to say before they have a chance to read what I have to say. I don't want what I have to say to influence or prompt others to agree or disagree with me .......... at first, anyway.

I know it will be difficult, but I hope that people who disagree with my intial proposition will refrain from commenting for say a week from today so that the people supporting the proposition have had ample opportunity to state their arguments. If nobody supports the proposition, which is IMO a distinct possibility, in a week I'll state my arguments and then people can fire away.

(Hint: my arguments will have absolutely nothing to do with the, for lack of a better expression, techinical qualities of these movies and absolutely everything to do with their inspiration and, IMO, their intended political purpose beyond making a profit.)
post #157 of 157 Old 02-26-2018, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
I saw this movie for the first time in our home theater around two years ago and it has gnawed away at my mind ever since. Very few movies have that effect on me.

I propose that the two greatest sci-fi movies of all time are "The Matrix" and "Tomorrowland". I'll provide supporting arguments as to why, but first I'd like to know if anyone agrees with me and, if so, more importantly to me, just exactly why.

I'd be interested to read what others who agree with me have to say before they have a chance to read what I have to say. I don't want what I have to say to influence or prompt others to agree or disagree with me .......... at first, anyway.

I know it will be difficult, but I hope that people who disagree with my intial proposition will refrain from commenting for say a week from today so that the people supporting the proposition have had ample opportunity to state their arguments. If nobody supports the proposition, which is IMO a distinct possibility, in a week I'll state my arguments and then people can fire away.

(Hint: my arguments will have absolutely nothing to do with the, for lack of a better expression, techinical qualities of these movies and absolutely everything to do with their inspiration and, IMO, their intended political purpose beyond making a profit.)
How can anyone agree with you if they don't know what your argument is?
sdurani likes this.

Looky here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page