Star trek continues.... - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #61 of 82 Old 08-12-2016, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post
This series had nothing to do with Paramount's new rules. You can thank the asshats at 'Axanar' for that. Making a huge commercial, unauthorized Star Trek film that went so far as to have merchandise for sale is sure to get their attention and bring down the hammer.
Well. To be fair. One asshat... Alec Peters. You have to admit that he assembled quite a crew to do the acting and SFX. The Prelude to Axanar had CBS so scared that they put a stop to ALL current fan productions. The story framework is excellent and would have explored the Four Years War with the Klingons. I think CBS took the wrong position on this. They should have let the fan productions continue, charged them a licensing fee, and put them on All Access in a Star Trek block that includes their own Discovery series. I would have paid $6 a month to see Axanar, Horizons, and Continues in a decent resolution.

As far as ST Continues ( which won't be allowed to continue by CBS ), it is what it is... a Star Trek based heavily on the Original Series. It is going to look dated. Now they are limited to a budget of under $50k and can only produce two 15-minute episodes per story-line.

Denon AVR X7200WA, Emotiva XPR-5, Emotiva XPA-7, Sony XBR 85" X900F, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra.
DefTech BP7000SC (L/R), CLR3000 (C), SM55 (FH), UIW BPZ/A (SB), UIW 75 (TM).
JBL L7 (Sur), EoSone RSR 350 (RH).
PC 2.1 setup. Emotiva Stealth 6, SVS SB16-Ultra sub, Emotiva DC-1 DAC.

Last edited by jevans64; 08-12-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 82 Old 08-12-2016, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2574 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

As far as ST Continues ( which won't be allowed to continue by CBS ), it is what it is... a Star Trek based heavily on the Original Series. It is going to look dated. Now they are limited to a budget of under $50k and can only produce two 15-minute episodes per story-line.
Based on what has been stated, I think they do plan to continue using their existing funds, same format as usual, up to 11 episodes (so four more).

That blog statement reads to me like although they know there are restrictions, those restrictions don't explicitly say they will get sued if they break the rules ... basically "Let's make these last 4 episodes as quick as we can, hope we don't get sued in the meanwhile ... bad publicity wouldn't be worth it to the studio"
post #63 of 82 Old 08-14-2016, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
I am currently watching an old episode of Star Trek -A Private Little War- With one of the hottest Babes to ever be on the show.
Even when I first saw it as a kid back in the day, this girl impressed me. Nancy Kovack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nona-772784.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1602713  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 82 Old 08-16-2016, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I'll see your Nancy Kovack and raise you an Sherry Jackson; Andrea from "What Little Girls are Made Of?" Plus there's that blue/green criss-cross number she wears in the episode.
skoolpsyk likes this.
post #65 of 82 Old 08-16-2016, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 442
I'll call your Nancy Kovack and Sherry Jackson, and raise this pair—
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	muddonthrone.png
Views:	379
Size:	766.2 KB
ID:	1605001  
post #66 of 82 Old 08-16-2016, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Sorry guys,
those girls are not in the same league as the fur skinned curvy witch goddess of Kovack, at least to my eyes.
post #67 of 82 Old 09-03-2016, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Episode 7 "Embracing the Winds" guest starring Erin Gray and Clare Kramer (Glory from Buffy)
http://youtu.be/yMasSzFXaKQ
post #68 of 82 Old 09-06-2016, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I think I prefer the "Monster of the Week" episodes over the political commentary ones...

They did drone on quite a bit....

Seggers

Sony XBR-85X900F, Oppo 203 UHD, Denon X6300H, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, PC DX12 sub, Def Tech A60 Atmos tops, the internet and a Nvidia Shield. There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #69 of 82 Old 10-18-2017, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

"To Boldly Go: Part 1" is up, Part 2 will end the series.
Spoiler!

Oh.
Spoiler!

Last edited by Roger Lococco; 10-18-2017 at 03:02 PM.
post #70 of 82 Old 10-18-2017, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 174
A poetic bookend for the original series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
"To Boldly Go: Part 1" is up, Part 2 will end the series.
Spoiler!

Oh.
Spoiler!

https://youtu.be/eCBuaTnDsQs
Just watched this episode. Poetic that they've chosen to end this series with a story that calls back to Where No Man has Gone Before, the pilot that sold the original series to NBC.

It may not have been the first episode made or aired, but it was the first one made that had Captain Kirk. (The first pilot, which had a different captain, Christopher Pike, was rejected as "too cerebral" and was recycled later that season as Spock's video "explanation" at his on-ship court-martial for why he kidnapped the Enterprise, in the two-part episode The Menagerie).

post #71 of 82 Old 11-05-2017, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
Part 2 will end the series

I didnt know it was ending already.... Not surprising,it was a piece of utter trash!!! (Loyal original star trek lovers didnt like it at all)

When you stop watching what they want you to watch you stop thinking what they want you to think.. Then you see a world that is nothing like they tell you it is.
post #72 of 82 Old 11-05-2017, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

I didnt know it was ending already.... Not surprising,it was a piece of utter trash!!! (Loyal original star trek lovers didnt like it at all)
Your comment shows how little you know about other Trek fans, what's been going on for the past few years, or even a few posts higher up in this thread, where the reason for the cancellation was explained. Star Trek Continues was very popular among fans, along with Star Trek New Voyages.

Both were very popular, luring original actors from the various series to do guest appearances. (And the son of the original actor who played Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott - who qualifies as a loyal original star trek lover - to play the role for the whole series.)

Both are ending not because of lack of success among fans but because a third group broke the unwritten rule that Trek fan films were allowed if they made no money at it.

That group started raising huge amounts of money online to build their own studio, bringing the studio down on them and the whole fan film segment.

The owners of the copyrights and and trademarks decided to lay down restrictions that made it impossible for these types of shows to continue, including limiting the running time of an episode to 15 minutes, with no more than two related episodes (30 minutes total for a story), banning guest appearances by any actors who had worked on an official series, barring the fan producers from making their own props or uniforms if licensed versions are available (buy them from us!), the name Star Trek can't be used except in a mandatory disclaimer saying it's not Star Trek, and so on. You can find the actual text of the restrictions here at StarTrek.com.

That's why production of this show was ceased.

Your having started this thread - before you decided you didn't like this show - doesn't give you the right to insult the taste of those who kept it going because they do like it.

Last edited by Philnick; 11-05-2017 at 10:52 AM.
post #73 of 82 Old 11-05-2017, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4545 Post(s)
Liked: 5967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
Your comment shows how little you know about other Trek fans, what's been going on for the past few years, or even a few posts higher up in this thread, where the reason for the cancellation was explained. Star Trek Continues was very popular among fans, along with Star Trek New Voyages.

Both were very popular, luring original actors from the various series to do guest appearances. (And the son of the original actor who played Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott - who qualifies as a loyal original star trek lover - to play the role for the whole series.)

Both are ending not because of lack of success among fans but because a third group broke the unwritten rule that Trek fan films were allowed if they made no money at it.

That group started raising huge amounts of money online to build their own studio, bringing the studio down on them and the whole fan film segment.

The owners of the copyrights and and trademarks decided to lay down restrictions that made it impossible for these types of shows to continue, including limiting the running time of an episode to 15 minutes, with no more than two related episodes (30 minutes total for a story), banning guest appearances by any actors who had worked on an official series, barring the fan producers from making their own props or uniforms if licensed versions are available (buy them from us!), the name Star Trek can't be used except in a mandatory disclaimer saying it's not Star Trek, and so on. You can find the actual text of the restrictions here at StarTrek.com.

That's why production of this show was ceased.

Your having started this thread - before you decided you didn't like this show - doesn't give you the right to insult the taste of those who kept it going because they do like it.

I agree with your entire post except the last line. He's got every right to express his opinion, no matter who does or doesn't happen to like it.
post #74 of 82 Old 11-05-2017, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick
I know....... Im sorry,i just cant stand how things are anymore....... No one has thier own minds,they just take earlier gold and mock it.... Making it worse in my opinion.........
post #75 of 82 Old 11-06-2017, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
I know....... Im sorry,i just cant stand how things are anymore....... No one has thier own minds,they just take earlier gold and mock it.... Making it worse in my opinion.........
And as I posted in the 2nd entry of this thread, I still don't know what you were watching. This show has received pretty good responses everywhere. I will be sad to see it go. For an original style show, it had it all pretty much down pat. And is more 'Trek' than other crappola that CBS is putting out. When you have dedicated (YouTuber's) ST fans making fun of the name and stating that they are more excited to watch the Fox version Orville then you know something is wrong.

I also completely agree with what @Philnick put. For someone who hates the show, you sure watch a lot of it and post about it...

Seggers

Sony XBR-85X900F, Oppo 203 UHD, Denon X6300H, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, PC DX12 sub, Def Tech A60 Atmos tops, the internet and a Nvidia Shield. There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #76 of 82 Old 11-07-2017, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I hear ya buddy
post #77 of 82 Old 11-09-2017, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
The love for ST:C is not universal among all Star Trek fans. There are things I love dearly about STC. Particularly their technical prowess of duplicating the TOS cinematography, music, feel and storytelling style. If TOS continued past 1970- it would be this show.

But there are things about STC that I hate with the fire of a thousand suns. The need to continually revisit TOS episodes (even bad ones) is #1 on the list. Revisiting "Space Seed" gave us the best Trek movie of all time, but running that same play with mediocre episodes like "Who Mourns for Adonais" or "Turnabout Intruder" simply doesn't work. I didn't want a sequel to "Mirror Mirror" nor did I want to see Kirk haunted by all his past doomed lovers. TOS when it was great, wasn't so damn self-referential.

Star Trek Continues is the best of all Trek fan productions; but that's damning with faint praise as I find all others (even New Voyages or Prelude to Axanar) unwatchable. I will miss ST:C when it airs it's last on Monday, but in actuality I've only liked less than half of the episodes they've produced. ("Lolani" being the high point)
post #78 of 82 Old 11-09-2017, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Do you liek JJ's Trek movies, or Discovery?

This has 1/1000th the budget and is far better than the garbage given to us by JJ or Discovery which is nothing like Trek.
post #79 of 82 Old 11-14-2017, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Final episode:
Tack likes this.
post #80 of 82 Old 11-17-2017, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Muchos Gracious,maybe il have a l00k.......
Tack likes this.
post #81 of 82 Old 11-17-2017, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4545 Post(s)
Liked: 5967
Quote:
Muchos Gracious,maybe il have a l00k.......
You're a good man, d00d.
post #82 of 82 Old 12-25-2017, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ahhhhhh thank you buddy,your kind words mean alot to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version