What movie did you LAST watch? - Page 130 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14706Likes

post #3871 of 5519 Old 12-06-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 4555
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
As far as I know, all blu ray versions of this movie in the US have the shallow filter applied. Apparently, only the region B Australian version does not.
Don't mind me if I'm suspicious. Sometimes, this is how urban legends begin.

Anyone, any Master and Commander BD time junctures I can play to check the presence or significance of shallow filter application? Thanks.

Related:

Reading Josh Z's 2008 Master and Commander BD review, it sounds like the bass is fully intact. He noted some AV clean-up required, finding the release a disappointment. So, it seems this release characteristic continued through the 2011 BD release, which bluraydotcom rated. Later edit: the 2008 BD video was rated 4.5, 2011 video rated 2.0.

Quote:
Though technically only encoded as 5.1, when decoded with ProLogic IIx processing the track will give a full 7.1 speaker configuration quite a workout. When the battles rage, thunderous cannon fire tears through the room from front to back, wood splintering in every direction upon impact. The bass is punishing, yet always clean and precise.
https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/605...commander.html

At this link, general comparison from various countries' Master and Commander BDs. A draw was declared.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison....php?fid=12845

I think I found the "stuff of legends". From 2010. I'll read to see if there are disc junctures I can check.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...ts-tracks.html

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=141907

https://forums.audioholics.com/forum...x.66081/page-2
Matt2026 likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo

Last edited by Panson; 12-08-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 5519 Old 12-06-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked: 30792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Let us know what you find. I had the DVD, one of the best PQs in that format that I've experienced. My BD's a 2015 release. AV's fine.

Since there's often several releases of BD, it's important to differentiate. For example, bluraydotcom "Master and Commander" ratings: 2011 BD release: Video 2.0; Audio 4.5. 2015 BD release: Video 5.0; Audio 5.0.

Don't know what release(s) the aforementioned "hamstrung" refers to. Perhaps someone could specify?
What I have coming, re release dates:

1) Blu-ray Sept 11, 2018 (On Amazon website under Edition it says "New Box Art" so who knows what version the disc is
2) DVD Jan 6, 2015

I, in no way claim to be either a videophile or an audiophile And like most folks don't have great audio recall. That said I will report if I notice any significant difference that stands out to me, unless someone else posts regarding the difference vs release date..
tenthplanet, Panson and DD/DTS like this.
post #3873 of 5519 Old 12-06-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2610 Post(s)
Liked: 4400
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
My wife is actually 8 years younger than me and the plan is for her to support me when I retire, at least that's my plan... If that doesn't work out, I figure I can be a grumpy Walmart greeter...
What is a Walmart, is it a temple among your people
gigging, Panson and DD/DTS like this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3874 of 5519 Old 12-06-2019, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Don't mind me if I'm suspicious. Sometimes, this is how urban legends begin.

Anyone, any Master and Commander BD time junctures I can play to check the presence or significance of shallow filter application? Thanks.

Related:

Reading Josh Z's 2008 Master and Commander BD review, it sounds like the bass is fully intact. He noted some AV clean-up required, finding the release a disappointment. So, it seems this release characteristic continued through the 2011 BD release, which bluraydotcom rated.

At this link, general comparison from various countries' Master and Commander BDs. A draw was declared.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison....php?fid=12845

I think I found the "stuff of legends". From 2010. I'll read to see if there are disc junctures I can check.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...ts-tracks.html

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=141907

https://forums.audioholics.com/forum...x.66081/page-2
Back in the day I saw the film in a good THX theater, that presentation will blow any of those discs out of the water. But barring a 4k release and remaster these discs are all we're going to get.
Panson and DD/DTS like this.

post #3875 of 5519 Old 12-06-2019, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 7917
Master And Commander
The Far Side Of The World

DVD

Thanks to @m0j0 's post I dug out my DVD from long ago. I had seen this in a cheap, 2nd run theater about 15 years ago and thought it was a great film.

(Someone had thrown a soda or something at the screen at some point and there was a giant stain in the middle of it.)

I picked up this 2004 DVD release when a local video rental store went out of business. The case is labeled "Full Screen" but the disc inside was "Wide Screen" (Not a fan of "Full Screen")

Picture quality was fair enough, seeing how spoiled I've become with 4K UHD. The sound, however, was fantastic. That first battle scene was rockin' the place. I rewound and played it again. One of the better movies I've enjoyed, audio wise, for sure.

Really hope this gets a 4K UltraHD Blu-ray release someday.

@Matt2026 - Let us know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Master & Commander.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	2650518  

Spoiler!
post #3876 of 5519 Old 12-07-2019, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 457

Name:	IMG_0230.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	2650602

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epson 5030ub
Carada 110" brilliant white criterion screen
Yamaha Aventage rx-a2030
Emotiva xpa-5
Panasonic dmp-230
Klipsch RF-7 ii
Klipsch RC-64 ii
Klipsch RS-62 ii
Klipsch RB-61 ii (Rears)
Duel Rythmik FV15HP
post #3877 of 5519 Old 12-07-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked: 1908
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - 3D (2014) - Peter Jackson directs. Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Evangeline Lilly, Lee Pace, Luke Evans, Benedict Cumberbatch, Ken Stott, James Nesbitt, Cate Blanchett, Ian Holm, Christopher Lee, Hugo Weaving and Orlando Bloom.

The final movie in the Hobbit trilogy. This film benefits greatly from 3D with great depth layering, unfortunately it has very few pop-outs. The DTS-MA 7.1 soundfield is excellent and quite active especially during the battle scenes. The movie received an Oscar nomination for Best Sound Editing. Blu-ray released in March 2015.
Matt2026, Panson and DD/DTS like this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #3878 of 5519 Old 12-07-2019, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtopFE View Post
Master And Commander

DVD

Thanks to @m0j0 's post I dug out my DVD from long ago. I had seen this in a cheap, 2nd run theater about 15 years ago and thought it was a great film.

(Someone had thrown a soda or something at the screen at some point and there was a giant stain in the middle of it.)

I picked up this 2004 DVD release when a local video rental store went out of business. The case is labeled "Full Screen" but the disc inside was "Wide Screen" (Not a fan of "Full Screen")

Picture quality was fair enough, seeing how spoiled I've become with 4K UHD. The sound, however, was fantastic. That first battle scene was rockin' the place. I rewound and played it again. One of the better movies I've enjoyed, audio wise, for sure.

Really hope this gets a 4K UltraHD Blu-ray release someday.

what I recall about the sound quality of this DVD is the creaking sounds of the ship in the early scenes even before the battle scenes.
Chiflyfisher and DD/DTS like this.
post #3879 of 5519 Old 12-07-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003) BD (2015 release) Directed (and screenplay) by Peter Weir ('Picnic at Hanging Rock', 'Gallipoli', 'Dead Poets Society', 'The Truman Show'). Cinematography by Russell Boyd ('Picnic at Hanging Rock', 'Gallipoli', 'Tender Mercies', 'Crocodile Dundee', 'The Defector'). Editing by Lee Smith ('The Truman Show', 'Buffalo Soldiers', 'The Dark Knight', 'Inception', 'Interstellar', 'Spectre', 'Dunkirk', '1917').

Surprisingly, Max Pirkis who played young Midsipman Blakeney so brilliantly, has not aspired to an acting career. Only three credits since.

Budget $150M, Worldwide Gross $210M. Filmed 2002 in Galapagos Islands Ecuador, Baja Mexico, San Diego.

Apollo 13 (1995) BD (2015 release) Directed by Ron Howard ('Cocoon', 'Backdraft', 'A Beautiful Mind', 'Cinderella Man, 'The Da Vinci Code', 'Angels & Demons', 'Inferno', 'Pavarotti' doc., 'Solo: A Star Wars Story'). Cinematography by Dean Cundey ('Halloween', 'The Fog', 'Escape from New York', 'The Thing', 'Romancing the Stone', 'Back to the Future', 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit', 'Hook', 'Jurassic Park'). Editing by Daniel P. Hanley, Mike Hill ('Splash', 'Cocoon', 'Pet Sematery', 'Backdraft', 'A Beautiful Mind', 'Cinderella Man', 'The Da Vinci Code', 'Angels & Demons', 'Inferno'),

Retro look is caught beautifully. 9 Oscar noms, 2 wins for Sound, Editing.

Jean Speegle Howard ('Blanch Lovell') had a productive acting career, some thanks to her son's direction. She passed five years after this film.

Budget $52M, Worldwide Gross $355M.

The Last of the Mohicans (1992) DVD (2010 release) Directed by Michael Mann ('The Keep', 'Manhunter', 'The Insider'). Cinematography by Dante Spinotti ('Manhunter', 'Frankie and Johnny', 'The Quick and the Dead', 'Heat', LA Confidential', 'The Insider', 'Wonder Boys', 'Red Dragon'). Editing by Dov Hoenig ('Overboard', 'The Fugitive', 'Heat'), Arthur Schmidt ('Back to the Future', 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit', 'Forrest Gump', 'The Birdcage', 'Contact', 'Primary Colors', 'Cast Away') .

First time viewing of this film. Underwhelmed, after hearing superlatives for. Ye olde James Fenimore Cooper story needed severe re-working. Wes Studi's "Magua" impressed the most.

Budget $40M, Worldwide Gross $75M.
gigging, RagtopFE and DD/DTS like this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

post #3880 of 5519 Old 12-07-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Ford v. Ferrari
Excellent movie especially for a gearhead that grew up during the '60s. Lots a names that became very famous.
Might not be as entertaining for people that don't recoginize names like Shelby, Miles, Bondurant and Iacocca.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #3881 of 5519 Old 12-07-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Back in the day I saw the film{'Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World' 2003} in a good THX theater, that presentation will blow any of those discs out of the water. But barring a 4k release and remaster these discs are all we're going to get.
Curious, I decided to investigate the aforementioned related AVS link. 31 pages, 900+ posts. I'm through 300+ from 2010. A lot of back and forth disagreement and wonderment. Much talk about subwoofers. A couple have said they're waiting to hear back from 20th Century Fox sound department. I'll keep looking for that.

I was looking for junctures to re-listen to. No timings supplied, just talk about cannonball shots. Some said cannonball shots on DVD were deeper sounding than on BD. A couple mentioned exception to that was Australian BD. Someone mentioned when cannonballs were flying, their whooshes had more treble on BD.

I watched the film in full last evening. I remain extremely satisfied with the 2015 US BD release's audio and video. Cannonball shots were deep and resonating, with their "whooshes" being closer to mid-range than treble. No subwoofer. Two floorstanding speakers.

My DVD of the film (which I liked and recommended) is long-gone, and I'll never be a subwoofer guy, so this "filter" issue is really irrelevant to my enjoyment of this film.

Cheers.

Later edit:

Skipped ahead on the 900+ post thread (May 3 - June 11, 2010). Almost to the end some are still talking about contacting 20th Century Fox sound department, so I gather that earlier requests were ignored. This thread isn't long enough to include later BD releases and comparisons. End of story AFAIC. Whew.
DD/DTS likes this.

Last edited by Panson; 12-07-2019 at 12:41 PM.
post #3882 of 5519 Old 12-07-2019, 12:40 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 1879
Re Master & Commander. If you care about digital copies, I think it may already be expired on the 2015 release. There is a new 2019 release (Copyright notice on the back says 2018) which looks virtually identical, and it includes a digital copy that supposedly expires in 2022. You can probably find it in one of the cheap bins at BB. Just be sure it's the latest version, because older discs can find there way into those bins as well. No idea what version the audio is.

Forgive my miserable photographic skills, but here are a couple pics...

Excellent movie btw. I strongly recommend giving it a look sometime, on BD, DVD or streamed... whatever floats yer boat. I haven't watched the BD in some time, but my recollection is that the image was on the darker side for a large portion of the movie. So it will probably look best on TVs with good contrast and blacks. Some scenes toward the middle of the movie were brighter though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MASTERFRONT.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	2650806   Click image for larger version

Name:	MASTERBACK.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	2650808  
Panson likes this.

Last edited by ADU; 12-07-2019 at 12:45 PM.
post #3883 of 5519 Old 12-07-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
Re Master & Commander.

Excellent movie btw. I strongly recommend giving it a look sometime, on BD, DVD or streamed... whatever floats yer boat. I haven't watched the BD in some time, but my recollection is that the image was on the darker side for a large portion of the movie. So it will probably look best on TVs with good contrast and blacks. Some scenes toward the middle of the movie were brighter though.
What year was your "darker" BD released? 2011 received poor video rating by bluraydotcom, 2015 (which I have) excellent video rating...and I can vouch for.

post #3884 of 5519 Old 12-07-2019, 01:31 PM
ADU

Quote:
What year was your "darker" BD released?
No idea, Panson. I will give the new 2019/2018 version a look though, and see if it looks the same. This is probably identical to the 2015 version, except for the updated digital copy. Probably...
Panson likes this.
post #3885 of 5519 Old 12-07-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Master And Commander

"Out for delivery" Should be here by 9:00PM

From everyone's posts I get the idea the most significant bass is at the beginning. IF so, I'd like to play just that portion of each movie first to get impressions as closely timed as possible.

Any estimates, such as first 10 mins, first 15 mins... OR to the end of the battle scene

Thanks in advance
post #3886 of 5519 Old 12-07-2019, 02:05 PM
ADU

Last movie I watched btw was 2011's The Inbetweeners, on Pluto TV's British TV channel. It can also be streamed free w/ads on Tubi and Vudu. Sound is louder (and probably also more distorted) on Tubi.

This is based on a British TV series of the same name, and uses all the same actors in the principal roles. It's basically American Pie with British accents, and sans the band geeks. There is quite a bit of crude/rude humor and also imagery in this, including several scenes of male genitilia, fyi. So it's not suitable for younger viewers. Pretty funny flick though. First time view.

The original 2008-2010 TV series can also be streamed free on Tubi.
Panson likes this.
post #3887 of 5519 Old 12-07-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post

From everyone's posts I get the idea the most significant bass is at the beginning. IF so, I'd like to play just that portion of each movie first to get impressions as closely timed as possible.

Any estimates, such as first 10 mins, first 15 mins... OR to the end of the battle scene

Thanks in advance
Check the drummer playing several minutes in. Not bass, but it should be a little lower than mid-range.

All cannonball battles (a few). In addition, there's a scene with ship's crew practicing cannonball shots. Don't have timings, but proceeding chapter by chapter could do the trick.

Have fun.
Matt2026 and DD/DTS like this.

post #3888 of 5519 Old 12-07-2019, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 7917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post

Thanks in advance
I just had a TV/Audio calibrator over today for an initial consultation to do my set-up. I played him the first battle scene from my DVD.
It was the 4th chapter. I don't know if yours will be renumbered, but it is one of the earliest scenes in the movie.

Just remember to duck!
Matt2026, Panson and DD/DTS like this.

Spoiler!
post #3889 of 5519 Old 12-07-2019, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked: 2434
Great movie

8hz ULF TR for the masses and the Cashless. Like a BOSS

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
post #3890 of 5519 Old 12-07-2019, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What year was your "darker" BD released? 2011 received poor video rating by bluraydotcom, 2015 (which I have) excellent video rating...and I can vouch for.
And yet in 2008 they said it was very good ...
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Maste...ay/201/#Review
Anyone confused, please raise your hand.
This is enough to drive you to Star Wars

Last edited by tenthplanet; 12-07-2019 at 04:57 PM.
post #3891 of 5519 Old 12-07-2019, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And yet in 2008 they said it was very good ...
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Maste...ay/201/#Review
Anyone confused, please raise your hand.
This is enough to drive you to Star Wars
Thanks, TP, I was looking for an early rating from them. I didn't click on enough thumbnails obviously.

Re video for the 2008 release, they make reference (below) to darkness and TV capabilities at the time, which may or may not feed into ADU's thinking regarding his BD experience with.

"Because much of the film takes place in shadows and darkness, at night or in the ship's chambers, different viewers will have different impressions of the video. Those with screens allowing them to see definition in dark areas will be thrilled with the black level, while others may complain about a lack of definition. The quality of the brighter scenes, however, is beyond criticism, with extraordinary color vibrancy and resolution."

"The night scenes and darkened ship's chambers are where I expect some viewers to have problems resolving all the definition. The black-level detail is there to be mined, free of pixellation and excess noise. But not everyone has a screen capable of resolving the gradients of black and shades of grey."

I couldn't find their review for the 2011 BD release, for which they give video 2.0.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Maste...Blu-ray/22237/
DD/DTS likes this.

post #3892 of 5519 Old 12-07-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, TP, I was looking for an early rating from them. I didn't click on enough thumbnails obviously.

Re video for the 2008 release, they make reference (below) to darkness and TV capabilities at the time, which may or may not feed into ADU's thinking regarding his BD experience with.

"Because much of the film takes place in shadows and darkness, at night or in the ship's chambers, different viewers will have different impressions of the video. Those with screens allowing them to see definition in dark areas will be thrilled with the black level, while others may complain about a lack of definition. The quality of the brighter scenes, however, is beyond criticism, with extraordinary color vibrancy and resolution."

"The night scenes and darkened ship's chambers are where I expect some viewers to have problems resolving all the definition. The black-level detail is there to be mined, free of pixellation and excess noise. But not everyone has a screen capable of resolving the gradients of black and shades of grey."

I couldn't find their review for the 2011 BD release, for which they give video 2.0.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Maste...Blu-ray/22237/
I know Tom Norton over at Sound and Vision used to use this film as a torture test of sorts in some of his TV tests to test black level/shadow level resolution.

post #3893 of 5519 Old 12-07-2019, 09:52 PM
ADU

I looked at the 2018/2019 BD of Master & Commander. Video is similar to what I remember from previous viewings of the film on Blu-ray.

The image quality is not stellar on this movie. Sometimes it's good, and sometimes only so-so. Sometimes the image is pretty grainy, and other times it looks pretty soft and undetailed. The softer scenes are less frequent though. According to IMDB, it was mastered using a 2k digital intermediate. So detail is not always razor sharp, and sometimes evidences some ringing. I prefer to keep the Sharpness dialed up a tad higher than normal for HD on this though to compensate for the softness and lack of definition in some scenes. Color-wise, it's heavy on the grays, and some warmer tones in interior and daylight scenes. Greens, blues, and other colors tend to be more subdued. Overall, the film has sort of grungy, grimy look to it.

Contrast-wise, it's not really as dark overall as I remembered. Some scenes have alot of contrast, while others have very little, and are mostly on the gray side. Whites are also often clipped in some of the brighter scenes. A display with good contrast and blacks will help imo. The images are varied enough though, that it should still be watchable on less than ideal displays.

I tried brightening the gamma/midtones to see if that helped at all, and it didn't imo. It just makes the images look more washed out. Even though there are some darker scenes in this, I prefer gamma/midtones on the darker side, because it adds more depth and dimension to the images, and enhances the color a bit... perhaps at the expense of a small amount of shadow detail. Tweaking gamma may not be necessary or advisable though on displays with much higher contrast, such as OLED or LEDs with good FALD/local dimming.

If the specs on BR.com are correct, the same MPEG-4 AVC encode with an average bitrate of 27.87 Mbps is used on all the BD releases. So I doubt there is more than one HD video transfer of this in circulation, unless there's a special edition by Criterion or some other boutique distributor that I'm unaware of.

I'm using a 40" Samsung J5200 LED btw. This is one of the better low-end 1080p models for picture quality made by Samsung a few years ago. It uses a VA panel, so the angle of view is not that great. When viewed straight on though, the native contrast is about 4000:1, which is pretty good for a display without local dimming. I also use a small amount of dynamic contrast to boost the perceived contrast a bit more. Most stuff looks pretty good on it.

There is a review of the TV here: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/j5200. The only caveats I'd add are that the uniformity looks better on my 40" than on the larger sizes, likely pictured in their review. Whites are extremely uniform on my TV, and as long as there are one or two dim lights on in the room, there is no cloudiness visible in the blacks. The motion also looks fine on the display with the LED Clear Motion setting enabled in the Picture Options. My BD player is currently set to 60fps btw.

Not sure I can shed much light on the sound question. Others probably have better equipment for assessing that. Sound design is one of this film's forte's though. The movie was nominated for 10 Academy Awards, and won for both cinematography and sound editing.
tenthplanet and Panson like this.

Last edited by ADU; 12-08-2019 at 09:31 AM.
post #3894 of 5519 Old 12-07-2019, 10:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up 👍👍👍👍

Quote:
Check the drummer playing several minutes in. Not bass, but it should be a little lower than mid-range.

All cannonball battles (a few). In addition, there's a scene with ship's crew practicing cannonball shots. Don't have timings, but proceeding chapter by chapter could do the trick.

Have fun.
Quote:
I just had a TV/Audio calibrator over today for an initial consultation to do my set-up. I played him the first battle scene from my DVD.
It was the 4th chapter. I don't know if yours will be renumbered, but it is one of the earliest scenes in the movie.

Just remember to duck!
First off, in either format this is a ★★★★★ movie WOW

Started with the DVD. Watched chapters 1-5 in dts 5.1 and then DD 5.1. No significant difference that I could hear. And yes, the drummer was great on both discs👍

Next watched the Blu-ray, Ch 1-5 , which only has the dts HD 5.1 track in English and DD 5.1 in French and Spanish, then as a refresher it was back to the DVD for the creaking of the ship again in ch 1 and then jumped to ch 4-5. Yup just not a huge difference for me.

DVD image quality is quite good and if that's all I had I'd be happy watching the entire movie on it.

However, since I do have the Blu-ray I chose to watch the entire movie on it.When I got to ch 14, another WOW

Took a quick detour back to the DVD to check out ch 14, and the image and sound was still very close to the Blu-ray.

Back to the Blu-ray and continued on from ch 14 to the finish
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MASTER AND COMMANDER THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD (Blu-ray).jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2650958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini-HT - Surround listening Room.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	495.9 KB
ID:	2650960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rythmik F12.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	865.9 KB
ID:	2650962  
ADU, tenthplanet, RagtopFE and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Matt2026; 12-07-2019 at 10:56 PM.
post #3895 of 5519 Old 12-08-2019, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The Revenge of the Sith - excuse is binge watching the whole saga - good and bad - in prep for the new Star Wars film with my 11 year old.

Hello there....

Love my family, love audio, have a thing for fizzy sweets.
post #3896 of 5519 Old 12-08-2019, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 1618
With all the commotion here about this movie, well I just had too

Master and Commander: The Far Side Of The World (DVD, 2.40:1, DTS 5.1, DD 5.1, 138mins., 2003
Matt2026, RagtopFE and Panson like this.

Main:🎭Denon AVR-S740H/Sony UBP-X800/Sanyo 65" 4K UHD HDR/Paradigm Cinema 100 x6/Cinema Center 1/Cinema Sub x2/CM-4228/7778/7500 DVR/LTE filter/RG-6 Quad Shield. Bedroom:📺Samsung 42" plasma/Samsung HT-J4500/Aluratek ADTB01F HD DVR. PC:🖥Dell Optiplex 780/intel Q9650/16gb DDR3/GT710/SB Audigy FX/Logitech X-530/RCA 32" HDTV. GameConsoles:🎮PSone/PS2/3/4/PSP1/2/3/Xbox/Xbox360/Xbox OneX/NDS Lite/DSiXL *Jerry Austin*
post #3897 of 5519 Old 12-08-2019, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD/DTS View Post
With all the commotion here about this movie, well I just had too

Master and Commander: The Far Side Of The World (DVD, 2.40:1, DTS 5.1, DD 5.1, 138mins., 2003
And of course you played it proper sound levels After all of this you just have too
RagtopFE, Panson and DD/DTS like this.

post #3898 of 5519 Old 12-08-2019, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzydizzyJF69 View Post
The Revenge of the Sith - excuse is binge watching the whole saga - good and bad - in prep for the new Star Wars film with my 11 year old.

Hello there....
See below
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	238e27c0d41052bf5940fe49033244ba.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	2650988  
DD/DTS likes this.

post #3899 of 5519 Old 12-08-2019, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 457
What movie did you LAST watch?

Name:	IMG_0232.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	2651000Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0231.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	2650998
Didn’t really like Anna Karenina, it had great acting, thought Alicia Vikander did great. However, the way they portrayed the movie as a play was not my cup of tea.
Knight and day way great, it had some really fun parts in it and I enjoyed the whole movie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tenthplanet, Panson and DD/DTS like this.

Epson 5030ub
Carada 110" brilliant white criterion screen
Yamaha Aventage rx-a2030
Emotiva xpa-5
Panasonic dmp-230
Klipsch RF-7 ii
Klipsch RC-64 ii
Klipsch RS-62 ii
Klipsch RB-61 ii (Rears)
Duel Rythmik FV15HP
post #3900 of 5519 Old 12-08-2019, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 1618
Quote:
And of course you played it proper sound levels After all of this you just have too
I wanted to, but.................

I just play'em and watch'em
tenthplanet and Panson like this.

Main:🎭Denon AVR-S740H/Sony UBP-X800/Sanyo 65" 4K UHD HDR/Paradigm Cinema 100 x6/Cinema Center 1/Cinema Sub x2/CM-4228/7778/7500 DVR/LTE filter/RG-6 Quad Shield. Bedroom:📺Samsung 42" plasma/Samsung HT-J4500/Aluratek ADTB01F HD DVR. PC:🖥Dell Optiplex 780/intel Q9650/16gb DDR3/GT710/SB Audigy FX/Logitech X-530/RCA 32" HDTV. GameConsoles:🎮PSone/PS2/3/4/PSP1/2/3/Xbox/Xbox360/Xbox OneX/NDS Lite/DSiXL *Jerry Austin*

Last edited by DD/DTS; 12-08-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page