Captain America: Civil War (2016) - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 72Likes

post #361 of 444 Old 05-25-2016, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
There you are. You can't tell comic book from realism.
What I meant by that was -- and something tells me you KNOW this already -- that Harris looks PERFECT when going off the books and injecting May's look into a real human being. You can't even BEGIN to compare Tomei (who, for some reason, you think looks "perfectly Aunt May-ish") to this look.

What's so "real" about Tomei when COMPARING HER Aunt May to the source?

Last edited by IntelliVolume; 05-25-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 444 Old 05-25-2016, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 814
The Parker thing felt a little bit forced, so Aunt May's mostly a non-issue. Let's move on, shall we?
post #363 of 444 Old 05-26-2016, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
The Parker thing felt a little bit forced, so Aunt May's mostly a non-issue. Let's move on, shall we?
Yes. Please.
rezzy likes this.

---
Striving to live life in high dynamic range and ultra high definition.
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Oppo UDP-203 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition
KC area / Father of 4 / Husband / Video Producer / Skeptic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 444 Old 05-27-2016, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 241
The indignation over May's casting is hilarious. So fervent.

I'm happy they cast Tomei. She's in her 50's and looks incredible. I'm just happy she's not my aunt, or things would be awkward.
post #365 of 444 Old 05-27-2016, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

When you think about it, casting a woman in her 50s as Aunt May makes sense. If the Spider-Man series of films lasts a decade or more, casting an older woman injects the risk of her passing away or becoming incapacitated during that period.

---
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Oppo UDP-203 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition
post #366 of 444 Old 05-28-2016, 07:09 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked: 3615
Saw this last night and it was certainly entertaining, but ultimately felt like junk food. I kept thinking about watching a pro bowl or NBA All Star game as the film rolled along since this film and those two events seemed similar to me in that all three are fun at first, but by the end feel pretty pointless, shallow and forgettable. They try to cram so much into this film that it feels like a bit of a mess. Winter Soldier was clearly a superior film, but again this was still fun and should be a great HT ride.

Also, when the big battle between all the characters happened, all I kept thinking about was the gang fight scene in Anchorman? It felt that goofy to me at times.

So there you go. If you cross an NBA All Star game with Anchorman but with superheroes you have Captain America Civil War.

Oh, the GF thought it was "good", her 7 year old LOVED it and the 10 year old seemed bored, lol. I'll watch it again on blu to get the bass/audio experience which this theater did not provide.
post #367 of 444 Old 05-28-2016, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

TWS bored me. Different strokes, I guess....
post #368 of 444 Old 05-28-2016, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Saw this last night and it was certainly entertaining, but ultimately felt like junk food.

Well, what did you expect? Look at the source material. It's a comic book.
post #369 of 444 Old 05-28-2016, 04:40 PM
Toe

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked: 3615
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
Well, what did you expect? Look at the source material. It's a comic book.
Haha! True, but I don't feel that way about all comic films. I thought Winter Soldier (as I mentioned above) was a good film along with the first Iron Man and a few others. Was hoping for a little more substance here, but it was still a fun watch and will hopefully have a great audio/bass track on blu.
post #370 of 444 Old 05-28-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post
I'm happy they cast Tomei. She's in her 50's
Give me a break (given that we're discussing the casting of a comic character here)...

She may look incredible -- and I agree with that; she's sure sexy as hell -- but she doesn't belong playing this role...if we go by this logic, why not make a Victoria's Secret model Aunt May? I know what every guy is going to respond with -- well, heck, why not!!?? But it doesn't make sense.

I'm not saying we need to make May quite as old as she appeared in some of the books -- but to go to the polar opposite with Tomei? Doesn't work. Like I mentioned, perhaps Streep, or someone similar to her, would work as a more quasi-modern May...
post #371 of 444 Old 05-30-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Tony looked like he was looking Aunt May over and wanted some of that.
post #372 of 444 Old 05-30-2016, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^ IntelliVolume, the old May has already been done and Marvel is going in a different direction, because they want to do something different from Sony. Your argument about Victoria Secret supermodels is so ridiculous, I can't take you seriously. Why do they have to stick to the comic book? Why can't she be younger looking and attractive? He's a teenager and the chances that his aunt is 50, is far more likely than her looking as though she's 70. Not to mention, a lot more women today are working out and looking much younger as they age. You're entitled to your fervent opinion on a casting choice in a comic book movie, but in my opinion, it's nothing to spend so much energy on.
Scott Simonian and rezzy like this.
post #373 of 444 Old 05-30-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post
^^ IntelliVolume, the old May has already been done and Marvel is going in a different direction, because they want to do something different from Sony. Your argument about Victoria Secret supermodels is so ridiculous, I can't take you seriously. Why do they have to stick to the comic book? Why can't she be younger looking and attractive? He's a teenager and the chances that his aunt is 50, is far more likely than her looking as though she's 70. Not to mention, a lot more women today are working out and looking much younger as they age. You're entitled to your fervent opinion on a casting choice in a comic book movie, but in my opinion, it's nothing to spend so much energy on.
You can't take ME seriously? It's absolutely beyond me that you would take what I said about a supermodel comparison so seriously and, to quote you directly, with so much "energy" -- obviously, that was a far-fetched analogy/quasi-suggestion. My point was that using Tomei as Aunt May is so beyond ridiculous for this role, it's almost cringe-worthy -- I have said several times already here that Marvel doesn't HAVE to go with a decrepit-looking Aunt May, as seen in the classic books...I even supplied a clip of Meryl Streep to suggest what a "somewhat younger May" could have been portrayed as. But to make her SO drastically and ridiculously younger than what we've seen her portrayed as in print and in film is a horrible decision, any which way you cut it.

Your query that asked of me, "Why do they have to stick to the comic book?" is proof positive of precisely what is wrong with the majority of cinema-goers today and the reason why so many fans who have been waiting to see these characters come to life on the big screen are disappointed -- my God man, it's a comic book adaptation...to stray so far from origins is NOT the way it should be done. Your question makes me question taking you seriously in a comic film adaptation discussion, seriously.

And the reason why it should have so much "energy spent on it" is because many fans -- myself included and some others who I have spoken with at ComicCon events -- are VERY concerned about the direction Homecoming is going to go in based on this ridiculous casting choice. This is the same gross error as casting Michael Jordan as Johnny Storm in Josh Trank's Fantastic 4.
Stoney Jackson likes this.

Last edited by IntelliVolume; 05-30-2016 at 10:53 PM.
post #374 of 444 Old 05-31-2016, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Gosh, can we let this go?
Morpheo likes this.
post #375 of 444 Old 05-31-2016, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7190 Post(s)
Liked: 16327
Lol. I didn't realize Aunt May had such a following. She needs her own spin off movie:

Aunt May vigilantly patrols the halls at the Sunnyside Retirement Community. Where things are normally pretty quiet. Unbeknown to our geriatric heroine, the nefarious Oink has taken up residence there. Shenanigans, fun with stool softeners and hi-jinx ensue. Movie ends with all the old timers putting in their teeth and dining on a big plate of bacon. Roll credits.
Morpheo and dan4081 like this.

post #376 of 444 Old 05-31-2016, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Lol. I didn't realize Aunt May had such a following. She needs her own spin off movie:

Aunt May vigilantly patrols the halls at the Sunnyside Retirement Community. Where things are normally pretty quiet. Unbeknown to our geriatric heroine, the nefarious Oink has taken up residence there. Shenanigans, fun with stool softeners and hi-jinx ensue. Movie ends with all the old timers putting in their teeth and dining on a big plate of bacon. Roll credits.
LOL!!

Post-credit scene: oink is brought back to life with the help of a mysterious alien cephalopod who managed to lift his ban at the retirement home and give him superpowers... Evil laugh follow. Fade to black.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #377 of 444 Old 05-31-2016, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

Sounds like Oink bait to me!

Endowed from birth with the sweet gift of being easy to please
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool - than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt
post #378 of 444 Old 05-31-2016, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Lol. I didn't realize Aunt May had such a following.
Should see her Twitter feed. Insane.
post #379 of 444 Old 05-31-2016, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7190 Post(s)
Liked: 16327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
LOL!!

Post-credit scene: oink is brought back to life with the help of a mysterious alien cephalopod who managed to lift his ban at the retirement home and give him superpowers... Evil laugh follow. Fade to black.
Haha. I was thinking the post credit scene would be a few strips of bacon pull away from the old timers chompers, sprout spider legs and scurry away. Think the head scene in The Thing. The sequel will be Marvel's Mad May: Swiney Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallW View Post
Sounds like Oink bait to me!
That lil' piggy went to market and he ain't coming back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
Should see her Twitter feed. Insane.
I can only imagine. @MadM ay69

post #380 of 444 Old 05-31-2016, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
That lil' piggy went to market and he ain't coming back.

I must have missed it. He end up on the wrong side of the Red Button again?

Endowed from birth with the sweet gift of being easy to please
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool - than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt
post #381 of 444 Old 05-31-2016, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hahaha! Nice!
post #382 of 444 Old 06-01-2016, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Saw it over the Memorial Day weekend with my 13-year old daughter (she picked it.) Of all the Marvel characters, Captain America resonates with me the most due to his altruism. I enjoyed the first movie and thought that "Winter Soldier" was well done as a sophmore effort. I walked away from "Civil Wars" somewhat disappointed. For me, the movie had too many things going on - the Rogers/Stark dynamic, introduction of new characters, and tying up loose ends from the "Winter Soldier." I know it's based off a comic book but the one thing I couldn't wrap my head around was this one rogue person who lost his family in "Age of Ultron" was able to carry out his plan on an international scale (all by himself I might add.) He was always one step ahead and they didn't catch up with him until the end ("Finding Zemo" anyone?)

Oh yeah, Marisa Tomei can be my Aunt May anytime if you know what I mean. Bow-chicka-wow-wow. Seriously, though, if you think about it, an aunt is a generation removed i.e. your mother's sister. The Aunt May from the comic books made her look like she was two or three generations removed. I never did understand that.

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #383 of 444 Old 06-01-2016, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post
...the one thing I couldn't wrap my head around was this one rogue person who lost his family in "Age of Ultron" was able to carry out his plan on an international scale (all by himself I might add.) He was always one step ahead and they didn't catch up with him until the end ("Finding Zemo" anyone?)
Yeah, that element of the movie really pushed the boundary on "suspension of disbelief."

---
post #384 of 444 Old 06-01-2016, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Finally saw the movie. I liked it, a lot. Although there were a lot of pieces to fit in, I didn't feel that anything was glaringly out-of-place. The humour balanced nicely with the more serious plot elements, resulting in a fairly light-hearted tone for the movie (especially given the subject matters it dealt with), which prevented such an "epic" film from crashing under its own weight.
post #385 of 444 Old 06-01-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Saw it over the Memorial Day weekend with my 13-year old daughter (she picked it.) Of all the Marvel characters, Captain America resonates with me the most due to his altruism. I enjoyed the first movie and thought that "Winter Soldier" was well done as a sophmore effort. I walked away from "Civil Wars" somewhat disappointed. For me, the movie had too many things going on - the Rogers/Stark dynamic, introduction of new characters, and tying up loose ends from the "Winter Soldier." I know it's based off a comic book but the one thing I couldn't wrap my head around was this one rogue person who lost his family in "Age of Ultron" was able to carry out his plan on an international scale (all by himself I might add.) He was always one step ahead and they didn't catch up with him until the end ("Finding Zemo" anyone?)
I agree with you about the "too much stuff going on here" aspect, definitely -- to me, it felt like a sort of rehash of Age of Ultron...that's precisely why I have been saying that what they should have done was introduce a solitary Cap adversary (which would have been perfect in setting up the Crossbones story from the end of Winter Soldier, after we see Rumlow surviving the building collapse). However, I didn't quite walk away feeling "disappointed;" I will definitely revisit this with a Blu-ray purchase...

Quote:
Oh yeah, Marisa Tomei can be my Aunt May anytime if you know what I mean. Bow-chicka-wow-wow. Seriously, though, if you think about it, an aunt is a generation removed i.e. your mother's sister. The Aunt May from the comic books made her look like she was two or three generations removed. I never did understand that.
The point is, though, that Stan Lee and cohorts DID go with that look for May in the printed narrative -- so why try and make her something she's SO not? I GET that Tomei is 50 and that people CAN have aunts that age, of course -- but her look is not in line in any sense of the term with what May looked or acted like in the books. That's why I keep saying Rosemary Harris was so perfect in the role...she LOOKED like May (as did Cliff Robertson, IMO, as Uncle Ben); another member here agreed adamantly with me on this ridiculous casting decision (Tomei). This smells like, to me, another "we gotta go politically correct on this one or NO ONE will be able to relate to this character!" angle, which I disapprove of wholeheartedly. Making Bond gay (which has been rumored) or dark-skinned? Making Johnny Storm in Fantastic 4 dark skinned? Making Aunt May look like a cougar on the prowl for teenage flesh? Ughhhhhh....

Now, is Tomei smokin' hot, especially for her age? You bet. Remember how delicious she looked in My Cousin Vinny? But she doesn't WORK here. People continue to say "it was such a small part she played in Civil War...it doesn't matter..." -- but what fans are concerned with (and I spoke to some at a ComicCon event about it) is how this decision by Marvel is going to carry into the standalone Homecoming film, because May will undoubtedly be on full display as a major character in that.

Additionally: I'm not saying, once again, that May should be portrayed necessarily as the "quasi knocking-on-death's-door hag" as seen in those graphics I provided pages back in a modern film adaptation; THAT would be glaringly out of place. But I think Snyder and his C.S.A. casting people did a decent job of "modernizing" Clark's Earth mother and father in Man of Steel for a more modern audience, going with Costner and Lane; they were "older" but not super-grandparent age...but going with Tomei as May is not the same thing. I think there needs to be a compromise somewhere in between there...

Last edited by IntelliVolume; 06-01-2016 at 04:37 PM.
post #386 of 444 Old 06-01-2016, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This just in:
NOBODY CARES ABOUT AUNT MAY!! Now back to our show....
CosmoNut likes this.
post #387 of 444 Old 06-02-2016, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

*hee hee* I hear you. Heaven help us if they introduced Kim Kardashian in a red wig as Mary Jane in "Homecoming."

post #388 of 444 Old 06-02-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
*hee hee* I hear you. Heaven help us if they introduced Kim Kardashian in a red wig as Mary Jane in "Homecoming."
Now why would they do that?? (Then again, this is modern-day Hollywood)...

BTW -- What part of Nevada you in? Did you see Civil War at the Colonade on Eastern?
post #389 of 444 Old 06-04-2016, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Now why would they do that?? (Then again, this is modern-day Hollywood)...

BTW -- What part of Nevada you in? Did you see Civil War at the Colonade on Eastern?
No sir. Wrong end of the state. Up in Reno. Saw it at the Century. Looking forward to seeing it on blu-ray, this time at the girlfriend's house. I just got her a PSA 15V sub which means she now has a better set-up than myself.

post #390 of 444 Old 06-05-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
No sir. Wrong end of the state. Up in Reno. Saw it at the Century. Looking forward to seeing it on blu-ray, this time at the girlfriend's house. I just got her a PSA 15V sub which means she now has a better set-up than myself.
You landed a girlfriend who's into subwoofers? May I ask how you accomplished that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page