AVS Forum banner

Captain America: Civil War (2016)

15K views 443 replies 57 participants last post by  Vipfreak 
#1 ·
Opens May 6th 2016

'Captain America: Civil War' picks up where 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' left off, as Steve Rogers
leads the new team of Avengers in their continued efforts to safeguard humanity. After another
international incident involving the Avengers results in collateral damage, political pressure mounts
to install a system of accountability and a governing body to determine when to enlist the services
of the team. The new status quo fractures the Avengers while they try to protect the world from a
new and nefarious villain.

#190 ·
Let me get this straight...

You are disagreeing about someone's opinion, yes?

If we're playing those kinds of semantics, indeed, I disagree that you are "correct." ;)

#193 ·
#194 ·
‘Captain America: Civil War’ Eyes Massive $175 Million-Plus Debut

The superhero adventure is on track to be one of the biggest openings of any Marvel Comics film in
history, with pre-release tracking suggesting it will open between $175 million and $180 million. Rival
studio executives and analysts believe that the film, which has Captain America in the title, but also
includes Avengers staples such as Iron Man and Black Widow among its cadre of costumed protagonists,
could debut to nearly $200 million.

#201 ·
Early reviews are in and they are all positive. Every single one I have looked at.

be careful when browsing reviews because some of them are a bit spoilery but many reviewers are doing well in keeping the spoilers fairly light.

But it has me excited. Many are saying that the big action scene in the movie is quite possibly the greatest superhero action scene of all time.

can't wait!

#203 ·
Indeed, nearly all the comments from critics and pre-reviewers seem to be very positive (for a change, given that this isn't a story about a stoned guru sitting in a rice patty somewhere fighting for the rights of North African water buffalo) but I've been at odds with critics before, given their feelings about Dawn of Justice and others in the past like Daredevil...

But the clips definitely look grounded and just good -- the Russos definitely understand how to "real world" a comic adaptation.

#207 ·
JUST caught this on Yahoo news; to be honest, I don't know if I care for the whole "You have a metal arm? That is AWESOME, dude!" thing from Spidey...I understand he's a kid and had "moments" like this in the books, but I think that's one of the elements that can be altered for a film adaptation of a character such as this...even Bucky looks at him like "What? Huh? Kid, I'm not 10, okay, so..."

I just hope these sequences don't come off as being too goofy; we already have a Spidey that's been shoehorned into the Marvel cinematic universe with no standalone backstory of his own -- though I admitted this was probably for the best being that we've had two different versions of this kind of tired narrative already -- and I pray his involvement with these characters gels correctly...

#208 ·
Captain America: Civil War IMAX Featurette

Captain America: Civil War will be the first film to use the new IMAX/Arri 2D digital camera. The IMAX release will be digitally re-mastered into
the image and sound quality of An IMAX 3D Experience®

#209 ·
Giant Man confirmed for Civil War? "There are characters that fly....there are characters that are 12 feet tall...."

#210 ·
i could answer you this. but rather watch it yourself.

i think the biggest mistake marvel has done, is to let reviewers watch this movie to early. it killed a lot of hype for this movie. not to mention so many spoilers.

they should have waited 1 week before release, like they did with star wars.

some people saw it like 4 weeks before release, that is way to long. i think this will seriously hurt their overall box office.

#218 ·
Great to hear. Really looking forward to this one. How's the new kid playing Spidey?

Btw their are two clips once it's finished the usual early one and the one right after all the credits

Frank
Thanks for the heads up.

#224 ·
I'm really surprised how they've handled everything leading up to this. The world premiere was REALLY early, the reviews came out REALLY early, and we've seen a whole bunch of clips from the film ahead of it. I'm definitely looking forward to it (this Saturday at our local Dolby Cinema in Dolby Vision and Atmos!), but I'm done watching any of the clips and extra trailers. I feel like I've already seen 1/3 of the film.

Reactions: mtbdudex
#226 ·
i think marvel / disney is trying to lower their box office numbers on purpose, so they wont have to pay so much money for the actors when contracts are done and have to shoot new movies.

they are destroying their own hype with releasing reviews to early. box office was 200 million international. but that really aint that much considering this is basicly a avengers movie.

same as the star wars box office numbers were not that great when they released the movie in china 3 / 4 weeks later.

when you release a movie as big as captain america 3. you let reviews out on monday. then release movie world wide starting from wednesday.

then everybody is happy. you create lot of hype and movie impact.

now the hype is already mostly gone before people have even seen it.

i also expect a huge drop off after first week.

main problem is 3D is terrible again. and the action is shaky cam shot. so yes expect seizure like experience ,instead of beautiful shot like revenant, avatar, gravity etc.

#227 ·
i think marvel / disney is trying to lower their box office numbers on purpose, so they wont have to pay so much money for the actors when contracts are done and have to shoot new movies.

now the hype is already mostly gone before people have even seen it.

i also expect a huge drop off after first week.
Interesting thoughts. I'm curious how much they've made on ticket pre-sales. Heck, I bought mine the day they went on sale about 2 months ago. Maybe they've seen those numbers and realized that they can promote however they want and release whatever clips they want. They know that people WILL go see it no matter what (because the money is already in the bank), so why not?

#236 ·
Seeing it in less than 19 hours, and then again on Sunday with some AVS friends; Both times in IMAX. Can't wait! Glad to hear it's getting positive feedback from people like Franin. Some of my critic friends wrote pretty glowing reviews.

#244 ·
Lol. The golden baby hand award for working in a Deadpool line.

Looking forward to your thoughts, Dduub. My kids have sports tournaments this weekend. Not sure when I'll get to see this.

#245 ·
Watched it today in IMAX 3D with Laser. Thought the movie was great! The battle towards the end of the movie was super fun. Spider-Man was awesome. However, I also watched The Jungle Book in this same theater and thought it sounded better (and louder) than this movie. Looking toward to watching this at home.

#249 ·
I'm gonna wait to see it closer to my birthday, Morph, but definitely let us know what you thought...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.