Star Wars: The Force Awakens in Dolby Vision HDR and Atmos Sound - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 159Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 182 Old 12-30-2015, 05:01 PM
Member
 
jocedeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004 View Post
Its sad that they blew up R2-D2, and killed princess Leia so early in the movie. Other than that, it was a good movie. C3PO's deadly red arm was unexpected too...poor Kylo Ren.
You could go on and on like this... posting "fake" plot points.

You could.

If only they were funny...
jocedeg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 182 Old 12-30-2015, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
zgeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,630
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps24eva View Post
JJ Abrams delivered. Like one review said, it is a PhD level course in getting everything right.
...except the plot making sense and the acting in many cases not being good or the character development making no sense or the backstories making no sense.
zgeneral is offline  
post #123 of 182 Old 12-30-2015, 05:09 PM
Member
 
jocedeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post
Where did the review say that people wouldn't enjoy the film? It even stated that the film is like masturbation: you WILL enjoy it, but it's no substitute for a real woman. If "having a hell of a time" is the standard for movies these days then Hollywood is more dead than I realized. I haven't seen a film in cinemas in ten years because it's all un-ambitious, repetitive "safe" trash. You think anyone is going to remember this installment like they remembered the first three?
Let me get this straight: you haven't seen a movie in a cinema in 10 years because it's "repetitive trash" ?

Do you watch movies at all ? At home ? Because if they are trash in the theatre, they're pretty much trash at home.

What do you watch ? Old movies ? If so, how can you know modern movies are trash ?

You confuse me.

And I'd bet a lot of money that people will remember Episode VII as much as the first three. After all, we remember the second trilogy as much as the original.

You are a bitter person...
sdurani and Shniks like this.
jocedeg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #124 of 182 Old 12-30-2015, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Riddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Greater Houston Area - Texas
Posts: 1,804
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgeneral View Post
...except the plot making sense and the acting in many cases not being good or the character development making no sense or the backstories making no sense.
How did the plot not make sense? Acting bad? Really? Having watched all 6 movies with my kids before this, I would say it's on par with the originals in all terms you mention, and way better than the prequels. It's a Sci/Fi, emphasis on the Fi, movie that is primarily marketed towards children to teens, and whose main goal is to sell toys. I think they accomplished all those things.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7704 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
Tom Riddle is offline  
post #125 of 182 Old 12-30-2015, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 16,831
Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12683 Post(s)
Liked: 11919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
This may not be the place to ask, but I think it is very relevant:

How will these Dolby HDR encodes work with current HDR enabled TVs that do not support dolby? For reference, I have a JS8500. Would they just be converted to the format that set supports, or would it just flat out not get HDR? Or will no one really know until the actual release? Thanks.


the theater version and home version are seperate grades. I believe even home DV and theater DV are different grades because the tech for each is different.

But if a movie comes out on UHD disc and contains both DV and HDR10, and the tv is HDR10 only, the DV metadata is simply ignored and the HDR10 version will play.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
ray0414 is online now  
post #126 of 182 Old 12-31-2015, 06:12 AM
Member
 
PacketHauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rockledge, FL
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
A lot of bitter, cynical people on this tread, good grief like you all are owed something. Star Wars has always been marketing towards kids/teens. I had tons of Star Wars toys growing up in the 80s. I took my 5 year old son to see the movie, he absolutely loved it, just like I loved seeing the original trilogy when I was 5. I had a huge grin on my face within the first 15 minutes of the film, and had that feeling of being a kid again, and that is what this movie is supposed to make you feel like when you watch it. I just find it amusing about all the supposed 'plot holes' that people are pointing out in this movie. It is not meant as a standalone film, it's part of a trilogy. I have no doubt that a lot will be explained in the next films. Episode IV has plot holes too if you viewed it as a standalone movie.

I looked for a Dolby Cinema around me somewhere, and am surprised none exist in the state of Florida. I saw it in IMAX 3D for my first viewing, and was impressed with the audio and visuals. I took my son to see it on a conventional screen, and the contrast and resolution just didn't look good at all in the theater we saw it in. A friend of mine commented the same thing that after seeing it in IMAX. The 2D theater was a letdown on the picture quality side, probably more of a choice of the projector that they installed.
skoolpsyk and Tom Riddle like this.
PacketHauler is offline  
post #127 of 182 Old 12-31-2015, 07:25 AM
Member
 
warrior1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgeneral View Post
It's a terrible movie. It's been a long time since I've walked out of something with that many plot holes. Oddly, Indiana Jonas and the Crystal Skull comes to mind. It's a non-Lucas star wars movie marketed by Disney. It was going to make this much anyways.

The script was terrible and the acting from some of the old favorites was almost as bad. I could fill up several posts here with examples.
What plot holes?
warrior1994 is offline  
post #128 of 182 Old 12-31-2015, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,602
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2757 Post(s)
Liked: 2746
They should have called it The Daddy Issues Awaken. Seriously, Kylo Ren might be the biggest noodle villain in cinematic history. It's two full hours of whine, whine, daddy, daddy, temper tantrum, temper tantrum. There is a reason why Lucas struggled for more than a decade to come up with a good sequel story and eventually made prequels instead: Vader is the only interestng character in Star Wars.


I agree. Boring.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #129 of 182 Old 12-31-2015, 09:48 AM
Member
 
PacketHauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rockledge, FL
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
They should have called it The Daddy Issues Awaken. Seriously, Kylo Ren might be the biggest noodle villain in cinematic history. It's two full hours of whine, whine, daddy, daddy, temper tantrum, temper tantrum. There is a reason why Lucas struggled for more than a decade to come up with a good sequel story and eventually made prequels instead: Vader is the only interestng character in Star Wars.


I agree. Boring.
He clearly doesn't have a firm grasp of the force based on how he reacted to situations. I think that's the contrast that they are trying to make. He isn't Darth Vader. Just look at the interactions between him and General Hux. Vader could instill fear in imperial soldiers with ease. General Hux was almost bossing him around at points...

I'm curious to see where they take his character...
Tom Riddle likes this.
PacketHauler is offline  
post #130 of 182 Old 12-31-2015, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
darinp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 23,188
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 1767
Does anybody have any suggestions for the best seat to see this in HDR at the Century City 15 in LA?

Thanks,
Darin
darinp2 is offline  
post #131 of 182 Old 12-31-2015, 09:21 PM
Senior Member
 
nx211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 60
^
I would try the middle.

NX211
nx211 is offline  
post #132 of 182 Old 12-31-2015, 09:40 PM
Senior Member
 
benes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacketHauler View Post
A lot of bitter, cynical people on this tread, good grief like you all are owed something.
Conversely no one is *required* to like this film either.

I know its hard to believe but different people can have different opinions about the same thing.

Last edited by benes; 12-31-2015 at 09:47 PM.
benes is offline  
post #133 of 182 Old 12-31-2015, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bandyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,879
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
"It’s nothing more than a rehash of Episode IV: A New Hope with no real emotional depth."

Unfortunately I have to agree but its not boring its simply a beefed up Episode 4. I felt it was a little "alien" to the original SW universe.

Watched it at Sydney IMAX the biggest in the world and while it was impressive the above statement about the movie applies and most of my family and friends agree. I know most fans will disagree because they want to believe it is truly special but in all honesty it is what you described (and I am one of the biggest SW fans). Lets hope Ep VIII delivers and will be an original story but VII did not move me and for the first hour I was wondering what all the hype was about the second hour was OK. Will watch it at least once more to be sure but I suspect they will pick up the pace in the next episode.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
Bandyka is offline  
post #134 of 182 Old 01-01-2016, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
talon95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Or,

"Episode VIII: The First Order Strikes Back"
talon95 is offline  
post #135 of 182 Old 01-01-2016, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
talon95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I did see this at the KC Barrywoods AMC Prime a couple of days ago. A few comments,

1) They did at least partially fix the red light issue from when I saw the Martian there in October. Still some in the bottom corners, but it wasn't nearly as distracting. I generally didn't notice it unless I looked for it.

2) The picture was great as Scott said in his review, although I didn't find it to be as compelling as the Martian. Maybe it's just the difference in how the movies are shot/postprocessed/etc..., but the image looked more, I guess I'll say, "normal" to me.

3) Sound was excellent. Agree 100% with Scott's review here.

4) Unfortunately I'm with Scott on the review of the movie itself. Although I didn't find it boring, I was put off by the blatant rehash of the Episode IV. I'll admit though, I was also put off by the ending.
Spoiler!
So that may be tainting my view of the movie overall. I suspect I'm not the only one here, although apparently I'm in the minority which is fine. I'm happy to see a new Star Wars movie that is very popular again anyway.
talon95 is offline  
post #136 of 182 Old 01-01-2016, 10:09 AM
Member
 
MarshallW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Wichita Kansas
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgeneral View Post
...except the plot making sense and the acting in many cases not being good or the character development making no sense or the backstories making no sense.

There is something I have never understood about forum discussions. No one expects complete agreement about much of anything, but I have never felt the urge to go on a vendetta to change others opinions to agree with mine. It seems that some are looking for the holy grail of posts that would state - " You know, I really liked/disliked the movie, but now after reading your post, I have changed my mind." If that has ever happened, I haven't seen it. For me it is quite the opposite. For example - - I am a huge Coen brothers fan, but for some reason did not enjoy The Big Lebowski. After realizing that I was in a minority of other fans here - - the first thing that occurred to me is what did I miss - - not that everyone else was wrong and must be corrected. I feel that another viewing is in order. I haven't had the chance to do that yet, but even if my opinion stayed the same does not mean that others enjoyment of the film is invalid. Or that they are slow witted or sheep. If one likes/dislikes a film and wants to state the reasons why - - GREAT!! That is why we are all here. Just not post after post after post. Maybe it is an age thing.


To get back to The Force Awakens - - My experience is that it gets better with each viewing.

__________________________________________________

Endowed from birth with the sweet gift of being easy to please
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool - than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt
MarshallW is online now  
post #137 of 182 Old 01-01-2016, 11:15 AM
Member
 
PacketHauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rockledge, FL
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post
Conversely no one is *required* to like this film either.

I know its hard to believe but different people can have different opinions about the same thing.
You are absolutely correct. I was just making an observation. I'm a fan of having discussions where everyone can be respectful with their differing opinions.
PacketHauler is offline  
post #138 of 182 Old 01-01-2016, 10:00 PM
Member
 
neveralone777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have now seen TFA at the Airbus IMAX Theater with Laser projection in 3D and AMC Prime 2D near Atlanta, GA. They both offered a spectacular way to watch a movie away from home. Long story short I liked AMC Prime a lot more. If IMAX with laser had been in 2D it would have been a closer comparison. IMAX was very immersive and like they advertise it does really feel like you are a part of the movie and not just watching it. The screen filled my entire field of view and offered a different experience than Prime. The picture quality was very good but it just wasn't sharp the way I wanted it. For me it was a bit blurry and colors did not pop. It had the cleanest sound loud sound I have ever heard in a theater. It was crystal clear and loud without being the slightest bit forward. Unfortunately the LFE was just not there, and I mean not there at all. We waited an hour and thirty minutes in line before entering and got seats almost dead center.

Prime with reserved seating was a huge plus, having our seats waiting for us when we were ready. The seats were fantastic with powered recliners. I am 6'3" and could extend my legs out as far as I could stretch almost laying down without touching anything in front of me, nice! The picture was the best I've seen, super bright and punchy, excellent details and great blacks. The sound was also the best I've experienced although could be too forward for some. It was much more powerful and punchy with the help of built in subs in the seats. The intensity of most scenes were really increased with the LFE I was craving. The screen was large but felt lacking in size after IMAX and I would like a bit bigger screen with Prime. Another small nit-picky complaint, there is a piece of glass that acts as a railing above where your feet are. It is reflective and at times I found light reflecting off it a bit distracting.

Seeing a film as fun as Star Wars in two awesome theaters was a joy to see and experience. If you can get to an AMC Prime theater make the trip it is definitely worth it. It is going to be hard to watch a movie anywhere else after these experiences. Finally, although I liked Prime better, there was one scene filmed with an IMAX camera which was awesome to see. With more scenes filmed in IMAX I would probably lean more towards this being my favorite.
Dhalmo likes this.
neveralone777 is offline  
post #139 of 182 Old 01-02-2016, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bandyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,879
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post
I did see this at the KC Barrywoods AMC Prime a couple of days ago. A few comments,

1) They did at least partially fix the red light issue from when I saw the Martian there in October. Still some in the bottom corners, but it wasn't nearly as distracting. I generally didn't notice it unless I looked for it.

2) The picture was great as Scott said in his review, although I didn't find it to be as compelling as the Martian. Maybe it's just the difference in how the movies are shot/postprocessed/etc..., but the image looked more, I guess I'll say, "normal" to me.

3) Sound was excellent. Agree 100% with Scott's review here.

4) Unfortunately I'm with Scott on the review of the movie itself. Although I didn't find it boring, I was put off by the blatant rehash of the Episode IV. I'll admit though, I was also put off by the ending.
Spoiler!
So that may be tainting my view of the movie overall. I suspect I'm not the only one here, although apparently I'm in the minority which is fine. I'm happy to see a new Star Wars movie that is very popular again anyway.
I absolutely agree with you on all counts. However I also agree with MarshallW that this needs to be watched multiple times to form a proper and well constructed opinion. I remember watching Matrix for the first time I hated it then after each extra viewing it got better and better, I suspect this beast will have a similar effect on me and many others.
skibum5000 likes this.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
Bandyka is offline  
post #140 of 182 Old 01-02-2016, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
talon95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Yea I intent to see it again with the hope I'll like it better. I absolutely loved the Matrix the first time I saw it though. It was a really fresh new concept to me. I still remember the first time I saw it. I was on vacation in California at the time. I almost fell out of my seat when I realized they were all in a computer simulation.

But I hope you're right. I'm a huge SW fan. I was 7yrs old when the original came out. I saw it 13 times in the theater in those years (seems like it was re-released once or twice).
talon95 is offline  
post #141 of 182 Old 01-02-2016, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bandyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,879
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post
I saw it 13 times in the theater in those years (seems like it was re-released once or twice).
Which is probably why we all had very high expectation but I fear I will not watch it as as many times as the original...

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
Bandyka is offline  
post #142 of 182 Old 01-04-2016, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,213
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post
I did see this at the KC Barrywoods AMC Prime a couple of days ago. A few comments,

1) They did at least partially fix the red light issue from when I saw the Martian there in October. Still some in the bottom corners, but it wasn't nearly as distracting. I generally didn't notice it unless I looked for it.

2) The picture was great as Scott said in his review, although I didn't find it to be as compelling as the Martian. Maybe it's just the difference in how the movies are shot/postprocessed/etc..., but the image looked more, I guess I'll say, "normal" to me.

3) Sound was excellent. Agree 100% with Scott's review here.
The red light at my prime is awful, but they did adjust it some it may seem. I think our Prime's projector is out of focus... or there is something goofy going on. The image at the top is even, at the bottom it is bowed... is that how it's supposed to be?

I saw the martian at the Prime as well.

I was disappointed by the contrast levels in the dark scenes (like the opening sequence/ night time attack on the village).

A couple of scenes that stood out was when the First Order launched the giant laser @ Hosnian Prime... it looked gorgeous.
In bright scenes the black levels were amazing.

When the Star Killer base planet exploded, it was insanely bright & beautiful. The sucking in of the sun beams looked particularly good as well, & things like lights on displays throughout the film.

[quote=MarshallW;40215634

To get back to The Force Awakens - - My experience is that it gets better with each viewing. [/QUOTE]

Same here... I feel bad for those of you who couldn't get into it. I do understand the re-hash complaint... but I feel like in the long term... this film will fit in with the Original Trilogy Saga & will be fun to view in sequence. I thought this film was superior to Return of the Jedi... with the exception of the space battle of Endor & perhaps the drama of Luke & Vader @ the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveralone777 View Post
I have now seen TFA at the Airbus IMAX Theater with Laser projection in 3D and AMC Prime 2D near Atlanta, GA. They both offered a spectacular way to watch a movie away from home. Long story short I liked AMC Prime a lot more. If IMAX with laser had been in 2D it would have been a closer comparison. IMAX was very immersive and like they advertise it does really feel like you are a part of the movie and not just watching it. The screen filled my entire field of view and offered a different experience than Prime. The picture quality was very good but it just wasn't sharp the way I wanted it. For me it was a bit blurry and colors did not pop. It had the cleanest sound loud sound I have ever heard in a theater. It was crystal clear and loud without being the slightest bit forward. Unfortunately the LFE was just not there, and I mean not there at all. We waited an hour and thirty minutes in line before entering and got seats almost dead center.

Prime with reserved seating was a huge plus, having our seats waiting for us when we were ready. The seats were fantastic with powered recliners. I am 6'3" and could extend my legs out as far as I could stretch almost laying down without touching anything in front of me, nice! The picture was the best I've seen, super bright and punchy, excellent details and great blacks. The sound was also the best I've experienced although could be too forward for some. It was much more powerful and punchy with the help of built in subs in the seats. The intensity of most scenes were really increased with the LFE I was craving. The screen was large but felt lacking in size after IMAX and I would like a bit bigger screen with Prime. Another small nit-picky complaint, there is a piece of glass that acts as a railing above where your feet are. It is reflective and at times I found light reflecting off it a bit distracting.

Seeing a film as fun as Star Wars in two awesome theaters was a joy to see and experience. If you can get to an AMC Prime theater make the trip it is definitely worth it. It is going to be hard to watch a movie anywhere else after these experiences. Finally, although I liked Prime better, there was one scene filmed with an IMAX camera which was awesome to see. With more scenes filmed in IMAX I would probably lean more towards this being my favorite.
Thanks so much for the comparison... I was really curious to see how IMAX Laser would compare.

I saw it in Standard IMAX 3D... the image was fantastic but the sound was waaaaaay too quiet!

Would you say IMAX laser 3D was substantially brighter than standard IMAX 3D?

I preferred the 3D version more... seeing that up close shot of the Star Destroyer for a moment just standing still... the 3D there was intense & very realistic. Also the laser shot that Kylo Ren froze @ the start... that was awesome seeing them walk past it.

I saw force Awakens at 3 locations:

AMC Prime... best brights & black levels
ICON theater 3D (chicago)... best sound... INSANE bass levels, but the screen a little small for my liking (especially for the 25 $ price!). The 3D was as good quality (bright image) as IMAX but due to the size I preferred IMAX in that regard.
IMAX 3D... very quiet...but the 3D was fantastic
Aras_Volodka is offline  
post #143 of 182 Old 01-04-2016, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,213
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallW View Post
There is something I have never understood about forum discussions. No one expects complete agreement about much of anything, but I have never felt the urge to go on a vendetta to change others opinions to agree with mine. It seems that some are looking for the holy grail of posts that would state - " You know, I really liked/disliked the movie, but now after reading your post, I have changed my mind." If that has ever happened, I haven't seen it. For me it is quite the opposite. For example - - I am a huge Coen brothers fan, but for some reason did not enjoy The Big Lebowski. After realizing that I was in a minority of other fans here - - the first thing that occurred to me is what did I miss - - not that everyone else was wrong and must be corrected. I feel that another viewing is in order. I haven't had the chance to do that yet, but even if my opinion stayed the same does not mean that others enjoyment of the film is invalid. Or that they are slow witted or sheep. If one likes/dislikes a film and wants to state the reasons why - - GREAT!! That is why we are all here. Just not post after post after post. Maybe it is an age thing.


To get back to The Force Awakens - - My experience is that it gets better with each viewing.
Sorry my quote got messed up in the post above.
Aras_Volodka is offline  
post #144 of 182 Old 01-04-2016, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rms8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern IL just west of Chitown
Posts: 1,228
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post
Your cinema needs to fix its sound then.

LMAO !

This coming from the guy who doesn't have a home theater nor even go to movies in the first place.....Your participation to these forums is laughable.


.
.
.
Tom Riddle likes this.
rms8 is offline  
post #145 of 182 Old 01-04-2016, 10:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I've watched it twice now, both times in Dolby Cinema in the Netherlands, first time in 2D, second time 3D.
As noted by others the picture was really good and the sound was great as well. The 3D version wasn't as sharp and bright as the 2D version, but still lots better than in standard 3D theaters, including IMAX.(Non-laser, there aren't any IMAX theaters with laser projection in the Netherlands.) The 3D conversion was done nicely, no 'cardboard' 3D effects and it was quite cool in some scenes, primarily because it gave a better sense of scale. I still prefer 2D though, the image is better and the 3D effects are still tiring on the eyes/brain.

On the movie; as a kid, I was a huge Star Wars fan, thought I didn't grow up with the original trilogy in the cinemas, but my father introduced me to them on VHS when I was young, probably a few years before Episode I was released. So I grew up with both the new and old films and I loved them both. Looking back now that I'm older I can understand the criticism on the prequels, but I have to say the originals weren't perfect either, though they're better on a lot of fronts. When I heard that Star Wars was acquired by Disney and that they planned to release a new trilogy I was shouting NOOOOOOOO in my mind, much like Vader :P (Why the hell did Lucas add that to Episode VI, probably the worst change to the originals... )
So, my expectations were fairly low, though the trailers and first comments inspired some confidence.
As a Star Wars fan I enjoyed watching it, but it certainly didn't feel like the grand new revival of Star Wars that it would have been in a perfect world.
Here are some thoughts of my own that haven't been said yet or not enough IMO:
Spoiler!
Dutchie# is offline  
post #146 of 182 Old 01-04-2016, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cuzed2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 5,007
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Anybody see "The Force Awakens" at a the Dolby Prime in Vernon Hills IL? The reason I ask:

I was really pumped up about seeing The Force Awakens in a "special 2D theater", so I searched and we went to an AMC / Dolby Prime theater in Vernon Hills, IL. Before the lights dimmed I was in awe checking out the 20 overhead speakers, and what appeared to be a side-surround/line-array for almost every row.

The Force Awakens movie was very good (even if a bit over-hyped), the PQ quality; contrast / dark levels were terrific, however I was really expecting ATMOS to be the highlight of this theater - for me, it was not. In fact if I hadn't visually noted the extra speakers; I would have never guessed this to be an ATMOS experience . I will admit the butt-kickers were OK (not too overdone)

Not sure why I was under-whelmed; maybe the mix, maybe my expectations were to high, or perhaps the audio for this particular theater was not properly setup? I am no longer "chomping at the bit" to upgrade my system to ATMOS, will likely wait until I move in a few years and start HT version 2.0

Anyone else disappointed in this flick (or theater) as their first ATMOS experience?

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09
cuzed2 is offline  
post #147 of 182 Old 01-04-2016, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
CosmoNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
Anyone else disappointed in this flick (or theater) as their first ATMOS experience?
I was disappointed, too. I expected there to be a lot more overhead than there was. A couple of times I noticed very little coming from those speakers, though I DID take note once when an X-Wing flew off screen overhead and I heard it up there.

---
Striving to live life in high dynamic range and ultra high definition.
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Oppo UDP-203 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition
KC area / Father of 4 / Husband / Video Producer / Skeptic
CosmoNut is offline  
post #148 of 182 Old 01-04-2016, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 7,252
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2628 Post(s)
Liked: 2133
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
Anybody see "The Force Awakens" at a the Dolby Prime in Vernon Hills IL? The reason I ask:

I was really pumped up about seeing The Force Awakens in a "special 2D theater", so I searched and we went to an AMC / Dolby Prime theater in Vernon Hills, IL. Before the lights dimmed I was in awe checking out the 20 overhead speakers, and what appeared to be a side-surround/line-array for almost every row.

The Force Awakens movie was very good (even if a bit over-hyped), the PQ quality; contrast / dark levels were terrific, however I was really expecting ATMOS to be the highlight of this theater - for me, it was not. In fact if I hadn't visually noted the extra speakers; I would have never guessed this to be an ATMOS experience . I will admit the butt-kickers were OK (not too overdone)

Not sure why I was under-whelmed; maybe the mix, maybe my expectations were to high, or perhaps the audio for this particular theater was not properly setup? I am no longer "chomping at the bit" to upgrade my system to ATMOS, will likely wait until I move in a few years and start HT version 2.0

Anyone else disappointed in this flick (or theater) as their first ATMOS experience?
"Speakers matters not. Look at you theater. Judge it by its speakers, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is Atmos, and a powerful ally it is. Dolby creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel Atmos around you; here, between you, me, the sticky floor, the person texting in front of you, everywhere, yes. Even between the seat and the snackbar..."

-apologies to Yoda...
MarshallW, cuzed2, Dhalmo and 2 others like this.

Last edited by thrang; 01-04-2016 at 02:08 PM.
thrang is online now  
post #149 of 182 Old 01-04-2016, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Ash Sharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: TX
Posts: 2,136
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
Anybody see "The Force Awakens" at a the Dolby Prime in Vernon Hills IL? The reason I ask:

I was really pumped up about seeing The Force Awakens in a "special 2D theater", so I searched and we went to an AMC / Dolby Prime theater in Vernon Hills, IL. Before the lights dimmed I was in awe checking out the 20 overhead speakers, and what appeared to be a side-surround/line-array for almost every row.

The Force Awakens movie was very good (even if a bit over-hyped), the PQ quality; contrast / dark levels were terrific, however I was really expecting ATMOS to be the highlight of this theater - for me, it was not. In fact if I hadn't visually noted the extra speakers; I would have never guessed this to be an ATMOS experience . I will admit the butt-kickers were OK (not too overdone)

Not sure why I was under-whelmed; maybe the mix, maybe my expectations were to high, or perhaps the audio for this particular theater was not properly setup? I am no longer "chomping at the bit" to upgrade my system to ATMOS, will likely wait until I move in a few years and start HT version 2.0

Anyone else disappointed in this flick (or theater) as their first ATMOS experience?
We have two ATMOS theaters in Houston - one does not sound good at all and the other sounds awesome.
Like any other theater - just because it is ATMOS does not mean it will be great - the Dolby Vision theater I like is smaller (150 people capacity) and is very well calibrated ...and Star Wars sounded awesome in my theater.
ATMOS is the real thing - I have a 30 speaker ATMOS setup in my theater with TRRINOV Altitude with sound calibrated by the best calibrator there is and it sounds incredible..
I have a heard a 7.1.4 ATMOS in CEDIA and it sounded amazing because of how it was set up.
For ATMOS to sound good we will need good mixes and good set up's...
Ash Sharma is online now  
post #150 of 182 Old 01-04-2016, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bandyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,879
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
We have two ATMOS theaters in Houston - one does not sound good at all and the other sounds awesome.
Like any other theater - just because it is ATMOS does not mean it will be great - the Dolby Vision theater I like is smaller (150 people capacity) and is very well calibrated ...and Star Wars sounded awesome in my theater.
ATMOS is the real thing - I have a 30 speaker ATMOS setup in my theater with TRRINOV Altitude with sound calibrated by the best calibrator there is and it sounds incredible..
I have a heard a 7.1.4 ATMOS in CEDIA and it sounded amazing because of how it was set up.
For ATMOS to sound good we will need good mixes and good set up's...
My Atmos setup is 5.1.4 and once I got it properly setup I was blown away as said it is the real deal and I cannot wait for SW to be released on UHD to watch at my home theatre. We watched it at Sydney IMAX first and while it was not ATMOS there were still plenty to of overhead action but what I really liked was the full "sound bubble effect". The key is in he correct calibration of the system. IMAX is laser calibrated.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
Bandyka is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
dolby atmos , dolby cinema , dolby vision , star wars the force awakens

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off