Dolby Cinema Locations - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 99Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 371 Old 06-22-2018, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
peterlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkbeard View Post
I wonder how many DC rooms will get Sicario 2 next week. I can't see it uprooting JW2 in many locations.
Yeah, that won't happen. Also, like its predecessor, Sicario 2 isn't getting a theatrical Dolby Vision grade (Dolby Atmos only) so the benefits of putting it into Dolby Cinema are limited. Will have to wait until its UHD home release to see the HDR grade.
peterlee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 371 Old 07-23-2018, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
MrJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
Got confirmation from a buddy in Jacksonville, FL @chadsmith013 that AMC Regency 24 on the East side of Jax will be getting a Dolby Cinema!

This location will be the second in the Jax area. There is another in Orange Park on the South West side.

And, hopefully AMC will bring back the list of locations that are open and coming soon on their website.
The AMC Regency 24 Dolby is up and running. First movie unfortunately is Mamma Mia. Hopefully it gets switched out with Mission Impossible this week so I can go check it out. A few Yelp pics show it uses blue LED compared to red with backlit speakers in the Orange Park Dolby.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Regency Dolby Layout.PNG
Views:	42
Size:	814.0 KB
ID:	2432102  
puddy77 and biliam1982 like this.
MrJames is offline  
post #363 of 371 Old 07-27-2018, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
peterlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I went to the Empire 25 Dolby Cinema in NYC for the first time in a while last week to see Mamma Mia 2 - much less charming than the first but looked great in Dolby Vision - and saw that the dual light streams were now on vertically stacked on each other rather than horizontally side by side. Every other Dolby Cinema I've visited, including the Empire 25 in the past, had the dual images streaming side-by-side. Did Christie roll out a new version of the Dolby projectors?

Also, screen 1 aka the Loews screen at AMC Lincoln Square in NYC is being turned into a Dolby Cinema. I had previously posted that it was just getting new seats but the construction barriers outside the theatre have Dolby Cinema logos on them. I'm really curious to know if they are going to shrink the screen. Apart from the IMAX screen at the same multiplex, Screen 1 is the largest screen in the city but I wonder if the Dolby projectors can properly light a screen of that size. After seeing some underwhelming Dolby Vision movies on the large Dolby screen at the AMC Neshaminy that looked significantly brighter and better on smaller Dolby Cinema screens, I think the Christie dual projectors struggle a bit with screens beyond a certain size. It would be a real shame if Screen 1 was shrunk; that room is regularly used for NYC premieres and was still equipped with 35mm and 70mm film projectors. Hopefully AMC retains that capacity during the renovation.
SydneyBlue120d likes this.
peterlee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #364 of 371 Old 08-08-2018, 07:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Does anyone know where the best seat is in AMC Empire 25 imax? I haven't been there for a while. I forgot how large the imax was.




Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlee View Post
I went to the Empire 25 Dolby Cinema in NYC for the first time in a while last week to
see Mamma Mia 2 - much less charming than the first but looked great in Dolby Vision - and saw that the dual light streams were now on vertically stacked on each other rather than horizontally side by side. Every other Dolby Cinema I've visited, including the Empire 25 in the past, had the dual images streaming side-by-side. Did Christie roll out a new version of the Dolby projectors?

Also, screen 1 aka the Loews screen at AMC Lincoln Square in NYC is being turned into a Dolby Cinema. I had previously posted that it was just getting new seats but the construction barriers outside the theatre have Dolby Cinema logos on them. I'm really curious to know if they are going to shrink the screen. Apart from the IMAX screen at the same multiplex, Screen 1 is the largest screen in the city but I wonder if the Dolby projectors can properly light a screen of that size. After seeing some underwhelming Dolby Vision movies on the large Dolby screen at the AMC Neshaminy that looked significantly brighter and better on smaller Dolby Cinema screens, I think the Christie dual projectors struggle a bit with screens beyond a certain size. It would be a real shame if Screen 1 was shrunk; that room is regularly used for NYC premieres and was still equipped with 35mm and 70mm film projectors. Hopefully AMC retains that capacity during the renovation.
MLM87 is offline  
post #365 of 371 Old 08-09-2018, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mrkazador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,342
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 427
The best seat is usually going to be a couple seats behind dead center.

_______________________________

DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips
Mrkazador is offline  
post #366 of 371 Old 08-09-2018, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
peterlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM87 View Post
Does anyone know where the best seat is in AMC Empire 25 imax? I haven't been there for a while. I forgot how large the imax was.
Here's the seat map of the Empire 25 IMAX. I'd go with the wisdom of the crowd, the most popular row seems to be K, which is the one in front of the row with the wheelchair seats.

peterlee is offline  
post #367 of 371 Old 08-16-2018, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
puddy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,727
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJames View Post
The AMC Regency 24 Dolby is up and running. First movie unfortunately is Mamma Mia. Hopefully it gets switched out with Mission Impossible this week so I can go check it out. A few Yelp pics show it uses blue LED compared to red with backlit speakers in the Orange Park Dolby.

Spoiler!
I went to the new Regency Dolby last night. I saw Crazy Rich Asians, which is not graded in Atmos+Vision. I went anyway because I have A-List and just wanted to check out the new screen. There are no lights on the speakers like there are in the red versions, such as Orange Park. And the blue footlights bleed onto the screen just like the red ones. So at either theater, you cannot get a pure black image. You just have to live with it; learn to ignore it.
puddy77 is offline  
post #368 of 371 Old 08-18-2018, 11:50 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
biliam1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Undiscovered Country
Posts: 1,874
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
I went to the new Regency Dolby last night. I saw Crazy Rich Asians, which is not graded in Atmos+Vision. I went anyway because I have A-List and just wanted to check out the new screen. There are no lights on the speakers like there are in the red versions, such as Orange Park. And the blue footlights bleed onto the screen just like the red ones. So at either theater, you cannot get a pure black image. You just have to live with it; learn to ignore it.

Hey man, if you're in the Jax area, check out the HT GTG thread.


https://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-ar...ht-people.html


We are pretty big into DIY speaker and subs. We do a lot of meet up's, help each other with builds and stuff.



The actual thread is a little quiet but we have a group chat in the app Groupme that we talk everyday.
biliam1982 is online now  
post #369 of 371 Old 11-07-2018, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
puddy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,727
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlee View Post
Spoiler!

And for European forum members, the first Dolby Cinemas have been announced for the UK and Germany. Odeon, which is owned by AMC, will be opening seven locations in the UK while Kinopolis will open Germany's first Dolby Cinema at the Mathäser Palast in Munich. Links to Dolby press releases below:

Dolby and Odeon Cinemas Group, an AMC Entertainment Company, to Bring First Dolby Cinema to the UK

Dolby and Kinopolis to Bring First Dolby Cinema to Germany


From that deal with Odeon, the first UK Dolby Cinema is opening at Christmas: https://twitter.com/ODEONCinemas/sta...02277418102785
puddy77 is offline  
post #370 of 371 Old 12-26-2018, 09:38 AM
Member
 
SydneyBlue120d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Dolby Cinema Leicester Square is officially open:

https://www.odeon.co.uk/dolbycinema/
SydneyBlue120d is offline  
post #371 of 371 Old 12-26-2018, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 6,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1358
Dolby Cinema Locations

We finally have Emagine EMAX here in Hartland Michigan, saw Aquaman Friday night. Great movie, wow they sure run the spl hot and loud in it.












Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by mtbdudex; 12-26-2018 at 02:43 PM.
mtbdudex is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags
dolby atoms , dolby cinema , dolby vision

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off