Ghost In The Shell (2017) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 53Likes

post #61 of 117 Old 04-02-2017, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Perhaps not outrage from you, but there is quite a lot of "Racist Hollywood needs to burn to the ground!" outrage about this movie all over the internet.

Meanwhile, practically none of the characters in the original manga or anime looked Asian.
Just curious, but which internet is this coming from? The North American USA entitled bitch and moan internet?

I've tried to avoid any press and trailer/teasers about this movie, cause I want to see it fresh, without other peoples' prejudices in my mind, but the race thing did make it through. One article said it was the US doing the kvetching. Japan fans were like "Duh, its the US, of course they will use a american or white actress."

And agree with the observations that a big percentage of Anime characters look very caucasian and blue eyed.
ChromeJob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 117 Old 04-02-2017, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknite9099 View Post
And agree with the observations that a big percentage of Anime characters look very caucasian and blue eyed.
Because that's what sells over there.
post #63 of 117 Old 04-04-2017, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 397
In all actuality, it makes more sense to use an American for the character of Kusanagi.
it's a Robot, it can be made to look like anything... including an Americanized individual. considering Japan's interest with America, it makes perfect sense.

FYI... I don't think she look's overtly American or Caucasian btw.

Going to see the movie AGAIN in a couple hours in iMax... because the movie is effing AWESOME!
freeman4 likes this.

Astell&Kern Futura SE100-Klipsch x11i-Klipsch x20i-Focal Clear
Pioneer SC85-NOS Valves NBS Preamp-NOS Valves Magnequest VRD
Klipsch Cornwall-Heresy II Signature-SW115-La Scala II 70th
Wyred4Sound DAC 2v2se 10th Anniversary-OPPO UHP203
Samsung PN64D8000-LG C7/65"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 117 Old 04-04-2017, 09:28 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 5985 Post(s)
Liked: 5114
I really enjoyed this one. It felt very true to the original, imho. A movie made by someone who loves the original for people who have already seen the original.

Loved the look, love the feel and the music. ScarJo, imo, was perfectly cast for this. I don't see the issue, really. Although....she seemed pretty deadpan. Maybe that is how her character was. I don't remember.

Probably won't see it again in theaters but I'm definitely buying it when it releases.

Only real gripe I have about it is that it didn't bring anything fresh to the table. I'm not asking myself any new, profound questions after seeing it.
chirpie likes this.
post #65 of 117 Old 04-04-2017, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
I really enjoyed this one. It felt very true to the original, imho. A movie made by someone who loves the original for people who have already seen the original.

Loved the look, love the feel and the music. ScarJo, imo, was perfectly cast for this. I don't see the issue, really. Although....she seemed pretty deadpan. Maybe that is how her character was. I don't remember.

Probably won't see it again in theaters but I'm definitely buying it when it releases.

Only real gripe I have about it is that it didn't bring anything fresh to the table. I'm not asking myself any new, profound questions after seeing it.
Agree with the idea that not much new what brought along. The second it was over, I was like, well, ok, let's get a sequel and play in this new sandbox properly! I was a bit down on the film, but I definitely liked it enough that I want to see more done with the cast/world. (So far, a sequel it pretty unlikely though, unless it knocks it out of the park in China.)
post #66 of 117 Old 04-05-2017, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked: 1057
Sounds like this is pretty much a remake, not an reimagination or new take on the original. :P

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #67 of 117 Old 04-05-2017, 09:51 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
Agree with the idea that not much new what brought along. The second it was over, I was like, well, ok...
Which is where any of my disappoint for this goes. It's all familiar territory. I feel like there was breathing room for something significant here but... we didn't get any of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post
let's get a sequel and play in this new sandbox properly! I was a bit down on the film, but I definitely liked it enough that I want to see more done with the cast/world. (So far, a sequel it pretty unlikely though, unless it knocks it out of the park in China.)
Agreed. Highly unlikely after the unnecessary controversy and poor box office performance. Too bad. I think this had plenty good going for it.
post #68 of 117 Old 04-06-2017, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1550 Post(s)
Liked: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
Am I the only one thinking the whole "non-asian" outrage is a bit silly?
Hollywood, and US in general, has a double standard. The only minority treated seriously is African Americans, which led to the shameful Oscars fiasco last year with Chris Rock spending 3hrs complaining about lack of black people while completely ignoring all other minorities.

Imagine a pic about Malcolm X with a white lead, and imagine the tidal wave of outrage that would ensue. But doing it to every other race/minority is fair game and you dare not complain.

This movie will be forgotten and discarded in a few years like all the other remakes, like the Abrams StarWars and Trek abominations, Terminator Genisys etc, while the originals will continue to be regarded as classics.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #69 of 117 Old 04-07-2017, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
Hollywood, and US in general, has a double standard. The only minority treated seriously is African Americans, which led to the shameful Oscars fiasco last year with Chris Rock spending 3hrs complaining about lack of black people while completely ignoring all other minorities.

Imagine a pic about Malcolm X with a white lead, and imagine the tidal wave of outrage that would ensue. But doing it to every other race/minority is fair game and you dare not complain.
I agree, but my point was that even the original, japanese animation had characters who didn't look asian at all, so I found it a bit ironic when the internet went all crazy with the casting of Scarlett Johansson. "Motoko Kusanagi" sounds pretty asian, but they don't care making her look like a caucasian hottie - because that's what sells. Well...Why would it be any different for the Hollywod-produced live action film then... But yeah, we agree on the double standard.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #70 of 117 Old 04-07-2017, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Deadpan would be the proper way to portray the Major. She oftentimes tried to pass herself off as above emotional response.
Scott Simonian and thehun like this.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #71 of 117 Old 04-07-2017, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I agree, but my point was that even the original, japanese animation had characters who didn't look asian at all, so I found it a bit ironic when the internet went all crazy with the casting of Scarlett Johansson. "Motoko Kusanagi" sounds pretty asian, but they don't care making her look like a caucasian hottie - because that's what sells. Well...Why would it be any different for the Hollywod-produced live action film then... But yeah, we agree on the double standard.

I was a fan of the manga and its predecessor, Appleseed. The original author, Massamune Shirow, was fond of portraying future Japan as a melting pot. He believed that Tokyo would be come a hub of international trade and immigration, so he liked to integrate non-Japanese characters into his stories.

While Major Makoto Kusanagi is of Japanese descent, she is a full body cyborg and could wear any look she wants to. The people complaining about the "whitewashing" in this movie have no clue about this.

Me, as a fan of the original manga and the anime, I would have cast a Japanese woman in the part. But I probably would have had her change bodies and looks (a bit) partway through the story to show just how interchangeable the cyborg bodies can be in this world setting.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I plan to. Probably on my next day off. Want to see it on the big screen because I think the SFX will be breathtaking.

post #72 of 117 Old 04-07-2017, 09:22 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I plan to. Probably on my next day off. Want to see it on the big screen because I think the SFX will be breathtaking.
It is worth seeing on the big screen. Catch it before you miss the chance.
post #73 of 117 Old 04-09-2017, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 1100
"Whitewashing" we heard, I guess 24 just got "blackwashed" , but wait you can't say that! Yeah it's that's stupid.
I totally agree most of the characters does NOT look Asian, and not just on this anime, but most that are quiet popular on the western world. Appleseed, Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Vampire Hunter D etc....

I'm gonna see it tomorrow, it needs some help at the BO.
Scott Simonian likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #74 of 117 Old 04-13-2017, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got home from seeing it. Almost skipped it because of the bad reviews. I wonder what movie the reviewers watched because they don't appear to have seen the one I saw. It is dark and brooding which I normally don't like but it kept my attention for the entire film. I highly recommend it for anyone who likes SciFi, not just Anime fans.
post #75 of 117 Old 04-13-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschupp View Post
I wonder what movie the reviewers watched because they don't appear to have seen the one I saw.
It's called diversity. As they say, "different strokes for different folks".
thehun likes this.
post #76 of 117 Old 04-14-2017, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
"Whitewashing" we heard, I guess 24 just got "blackwashed" , but wait you can't say that! Yeah it's that's stupid.
I totally agree most of the characters does NOT look Asian, and not just on this anime, but most that are quiet popular on the western world. Appleseed, Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Vampire Hunter D etc....

I'm gonna see it tomorrow, it needs some help at the BO.

The Thor movies have been "blackwashed" twice.

First by casting Idris Elba as Heimdall....a Caucasian deity (in the comics, Sif's brother)

Sif (wtf? What was your mom up to? Some Dark Elf action!)

And the second blackwashing is with the character of Valkyrie

Comics Valkyrie:

Movie Valkyrie (played by Tessa Thompson)

What happened?

It's okay when they do this, but making The Ancient One a Celtic white woman so as to not offend the Chinese (Their troubles with Tibet) is not okay, nor is accurately casting the character of Iron Fist, who is white in both the comics and his Netflix show.

smh.
thehun and LFEer like this.

post #77 of 117 Old 04-16-2017, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2793 Post(s)
Liked: 1758
Quote:
Ever since I started watching japanese animation I've always noticed that these characters are more than often designed to look like caucasian, or "white" people (pale skin, giant blue eyes, hair, etc).
You left out the exaggerated boobs......

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #78 of 117 Old 04-16-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
You left out the exaggerated boobs......
That's a difficult one to call out. The cosmetic surgery is becoming more popular in north-east Asia.
post #79 of 117 Old 04-18-2017, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Case in point, ATTACK ON TITAN. The characters, aside from clearly identified "rare Asian" Mikasa, are hybrids but with various Western names.

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #80 of 117 Old 04-19-2017, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I loved this movie, wish it did better at the box office. The movie felt true to the anime for the most part, some things were simpler but I actually thought some characters were more well rounded in it compared to the anime.

The stand out for the movie imo was Michael Pitt as Kuze, he played it so well and how they did his voice , he sounded amazing.
Mikazaru likes this.
post #81 of 117 Old 04-21-2017, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I like the movie. Scarlett's role is perfect for me.
post #82 of 117 Old 04-26-2017, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 373
I really enjoyed the movie as well and agree with Stiler, that Michael Pitt's performance was outstanding. I'm a fan of Scarlett and enjoyed her performance as the Major, too. The only Asian actress I could think of that would have done justice to the part is Rinko Kikuchi. She doesn't have ScarJo's star power (or price tag), but if she had been cast, the studio could have avoided a lot of negative publicity. In the end, I can't say for certain which choice would have been more profitable.

Anyways, I still recommend the movie, but be forewarned -- I have a soft spot for universally panned movies like Aeon Flux and Ultraviolet though.. GitS reminds me of those movies, but with really high production values and amazing visuals. If you enjoy a hot chick in tights kicking ass in a futuristic setting, see it.
AnotherDude and ChromeJob like this.
post #83 of 117 Old 04-29-2017, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 576
I also enjoyed Aeon Flux and Ultraviolet, though I was at first put off by UV's image smoothing, then realized they were trying to simulate a graphic novel look. Looking forward for the GITS BD.

Last edited by AnotherDude; 04-29-2017 at 01:07 PM.
post #84 of 117 Old 04-29-2017, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsleymatchmakers View Post
I like the movie. Scarlett's role is perfect for me.
I liked the film too. It doesn't surprise me that it is getting knocked for being culturally insensitive, not an exact live action duplicate of the original, etc.

That's important to some, apparently, and probably why this film did not do very well in Japan.

Worldwide, this film looks like it will probably break even (it is doing about triple the business in foreign theaters as it is here in North America) but it will not be nearly as successful as Scarlett Johansson's previous sci-fi action film, "Lucy," which seems strange to me.
post #85 of 117 Old 04-29-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural scribe View Post
but it will not be nearly as successful as Scarlett Johansson's previous sci-fi action film, "Lucy," which seems strange to me.
I didn't know that Lucy was a successful movie.
post #86 of 117 Old 04-30-2017, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFEer View Post
I didn't know that Lucy was a successful movie.
It was. Quick BoxOffice Mojo check...

Lucy made 463 million worldwide, 126 in North America, for a 40 million budget. It might even be Luc Besson's most successful movie, although I'm not certain.

By comparison, after 4 weeks, GITS is at 39 million domestic right now, and cost 110 million to make (not including advertising). 163 million worldwide. I'm guessing Sony will be happy to barely break even at this point...

Last edited by Morpheo; 04-30-2017 at 04:12 AM.
post #87 of 117 Old 04-30-2017, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
It was. Quick BoxOffice Mojo check...

Lucy made 463 million worldwide, 126 in North America, for a 40 million budget. It might even be Luc Besson's most successful movie, although I'm not certain...
Well, you beat me too it. I had checked the box office totals first, before writing my previous post comparing Lucy and Ghost in the Shell.

And you are right, Lucy was Luc Beeson's most profitable film, by a large margin (not accounting for inflation).

Second for Beeson was The Fifth Element (1997) $63,820,180 domestic, $200,100,000 foreign, total, $263,920,180.

So, I watched Lucy and I watched Ghost in the Shell, and I sure didn't see why there should be such a big difference between the two in box office results, as far as what's on the screen.

That's the point I was trying to make.

Off the screen -- there were no preconceived notions about Lucy, since it was an original work.

Ghost in the Shell, being a remake, may have generated disappointment by violating some preconceived expectations that people had for it.

It's a theory.

One thing's for sure, Ghost in the Shell torpedoed the studio's expectations, based on Scarlett Johansson's presumed box office appeal, and the fact that there should be millions of fans of the original film eager to see this film.

It is well to keep in mind something that William Goldwyn once said, “Nobody knows anything ... Not one person in the entire motion picture field knows for a certainty what's going to work. Every time out it's a guess and, if you're lucky, an educated one.”
post #88 of 117 Old 04-30-2017, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not to discount Lucy as a touch point, but a similar property that went phut at the box office: Aeon Flux.

Existing anime/animation property with a cult following, a hot female lead, great production values, well done IMHO, and opened big, #2. Quickly circled the drain, only made US$25M domestic, US$52M worldwide, on a $62M budget.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...d=aeonflux.htm

boxofficemojo doesn't account for home video sales, so I think all bets are off on GITS, unless ONLY box office is really counted against production + marketing costs. I'd guess that maybe GITS could become a sleeper on BD and UHD BD. Maybe.

post #89 of 117 Old 05-02-2017, 02:33 PM
Bass Enabler

Aeon Flux needs a more.... Sin City approach, imho. Definitely needed an improvement on the visual part.

The current version is too....ehhh. Plain.
post #90 of 117 Old 05-02-2017, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 6140
This movie flopped so hard at the box office!. maybe next time soulless Hollywood will show respect to the source materiel in every single way. America should stick to making ****ty movies with no depth and only explosions. Logan (2017) was the best movie Ive seen in years and maybe something like that will never happen again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page