Blade Runner 2049 - In Theaters 10/6/17 - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 352Likes

post #301 of 633 Old 01-20-2018, 04:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
I never looked at it that way, but I can't argue with that assessment.

Be careful! A statement like that could get you banned from the internet!!!
Tack and winoman like this.

Endowed from birth with the sweet gift of being easy to please
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool - than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 633 Old 01-20-2018, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4471 Post(s)
Liked: 5820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The power of the vision that the movie presents is its implication that the whole world is like this. The megalopolis extends forever in all directions. (In the original Philip K. Dick novel, Deckard lives in San Angeles, an enormous city stretching from current San Francisco to Los Angeles.) People have fled to the off-world colonies because there is no reprieve from the doom and gloom on Earth. The air is constantly polluted because trees are virtually extinct. The sun never comes out and the rain never stops.

Revealing that, no, there's actually a really lovely, expansive forest with plenty of daylight and temperate weather that people can escape to if they want completely breaks the spell.
I appreciate your insights into the Philip K. Dick novel. I never read it. I agree that the Dick novel doesn't support the idealized beauty of the place Deckard and Rachael found in the theatrical version of Blade Runner. I still tend to forgive it, though. When it comes to suspension of disbelief, I try to give filmmakers all the rope I can and that's pretty easy for me to do in a film filled with flying cars and replicants. Don't misunderstand me, if I had come in to the theatrical version of the film as you did, with an understanding for and love of the underlying novel, I probably would have been put off too.
winoman likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #303 of 633 Old 01-20-2018, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
if I had come in to the theatrical version of the film as you did, with an understanding for and love of the underlying novel, I probably would have been put off too.
One can call that a form of "spoiler".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 633 Old 01-20-2018, 12:54 PM

Liked: 128
Countdown is on...approx 2 hours we begin Blade Runner 4K followed by Blade Runner 2049 4K (on the Sony 940e with a very immersive full up Yamaha amp Axiom 5.1 speaker AV set up ) - can't wait!
post #305 of 633 Old 01-20-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winoman View Post
Countdown is on...approx 2 hours we begin Blade Runner 4K followed by Blade Runner 2049 4K (on the Sony 940e with a very immersive full up Yamaha amp Axiom 5.1 speaker AV set up ) - can't wait!
Make sure your subwoofer is up to the task for 2049 because it will be a torture test.
post #306 of 633 Old 01-20-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyberlogy View Post
One can call that a form of "spoiler".
What can I say? You're still the only one complaining.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #307 of 633 Old 01-20-2018, 07:48 PM

I'm not sure how accurate this is but here are Oscars 2018 list which BR 2049 is nominated for.

Best Production Design:

Beauty and the Beast
Blade Runner 2049
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water

Best Cinematography:

Blade Runner 2049
Call Me by Your Name
Dunkirk
Mudbound
The Shape of Water

Best Visual Effects:

Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
War for the Planet of the Apes

Best Sound Editing:

Baby Driver
Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water

It may win the sound editing.
post #308 of 633 Old 01-21-2018, 07:50 AM

Blade Runner 2049 has no Oscar nominations, at east not yet. The 2018 Oscar nominations haven't been made public. So far, all we have are guesses from pundits. The official Oscar nominations are scheduled to come out next Tuesday, 1/23.

Last edited by gwsat; 01-21-2018 at 03:47 PM.
post #309 of 633 Old 01-21-2018, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked: 2937
Quote:
I'm not sure how accurate this is but here are Oscars 2018 list which BR 2049 is nominated for.

Best Production Design:

Beauty and the Beast
Blade Runner 2049
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water

Best Cinematography:

Blade Runner 2049
Call Me by Your Name
Dunkirk
Mudbound
The Shape of Water

Best Visual Effects:

Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water

Best Sound Editing:

Baby Driver
Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water

If this is in fact the nominations I could see it winning all of them. Spectacular looking movie.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #310 of 633 Old 01-21-2018, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 7110 Post(s)
Liked: 16040
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Blade Runner 2049 has no Oscar nominations, at east not yet. The 2018 Oscar nominations haven't been made public. So far, all we have are guesses from pundits. The official Oscar nominations are scheduled to come out next Tuesday, 9/23.
September 23rd? That's quite a few Tuesdays away.

post #311 of 633 Old 01-21-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Make sure your subwoofer is up to the task for 2049 because it will be a torture test.
Wasn't an issue...both movies sounded great (except much of the dialogue on 2049 was difficult to make out even with a bunch of tweaking and volume up - only audio complaint)

Quite enjoyed both movies back to back. It is so clear what a masterpiece the original Blade Runner is - and the Directors cut (or whatever it is) is just fantastic. Enjoyed seeing 2049 again - and I still think its a great follow on to the original. But it is clearly not the movie the original was - falls short in many ways IMO...but thats comparing to one of the all time great Sci Fi movies of all time IMO. Other viewers were more critical - while not saying they didn't like the movie - some didn't like all aspects of it (including thinking the story itself was not as compelling as it could have been) and felt let down in comparison to the first. Have to say - the original even looked noticeably better to everyone - though this may have something to do with the muted mono-color color choices made to make everything look particularly bleak.
post #312 of 633 Old 01-21-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Keep chugging that thing in your avatar and you'll get there in no time.
post #313 of 633 Old 01-21-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Wasn't an issue...both movies sounded great (except much of the dialogue on 2049 was difficult to make out even with a bunch of tweaking and volume up - only audio complaint)

Quite enjoyed both movies back to back. It is so clear what a masterpiece the original Blade Runner is - and the Directors cut (or whatever it is) is just fantastic. Enjoyed seeing 2049 again - and I still think its a great follow on to the original. But it is clearly not the movie the original was - falls short in many ways IMO...but thats comparing to one of the all time great Sci Fi movies of all time IMO. Other viewers were more critical - while not saying they didn't like the movie - some didn't like all aspects of it (including thinking the story itself was not as compelling as it could have been) and felt let down in comparison to the first. Have to say - the original even looked noticeably better to everyone - though this may have something to do with the muted mono-color color choices made to make everything look particularly bleak.
I kind of agree with you on the dialogue but when I turned up the volume, it was solved. But then the whole rumble scenes got louder. I think 2049 audio is mastered for bigger dynamic range than typical releases these days.

As for the compelling story, I'm beginning to notice more as I watch it again, especially the conversation between Lieutenant Joshi and K and Luv. Those conversations are somewhat short but they do reveal something later on. When Luv tells Joshi
Spoiler!
winoman likes this.
post #314 of 633 Old 01-21-2018, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 4285 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
If this is in fact the nominations I could see it winning all of them. Spectacular looking movie.
The actual Oscar nominations will be announced this Tuesday, January 23rd, and are held under lock and key until then. Anything published in the meantime is just speculation or (if it claims to be the real thing) outright fraud.

A number of years ago, Harry Knowles made a big stink about getting an exclusive scoop on the Oscar nominations ahead of the announcement. Of course, it turned out to be total BS and the actual nominations were very different from his guesses.
gwsat and skibum5000 like this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #315 of 633 Old 01-21-2018, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 4714 Post(s)
Liked: 6297
I think those lists are analogous to the "mock draft" so popular on ESPN and the like.
gwsat and skibum5000 like this.
post #316 of 633 Old 01-21-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Or quite a few Tuesdays behind us. Alas, no good deed goes unpunished, as I am pretty sure that neither you nor anybody else who read may my post failed to understand that "next Tuesday" is 1/23. not 9/23..

post #317 of 633 Old 01-21-2018, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 4714 Post(s)
Liked: 6297
I got the movie last night. I need to see it again before commenting further on the meat of the movie. I wasn't prepared for the run time and started getting tired before the end. I had to watch the DVD because I didn't want to wait the time it takes to rip the BR. Looked great still. Sound was good, no problem subwoofer-wise. Ana de Armas was about as cute as humanly possible.
post #318 of 633 Old 01-21-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I kind of agree with you on the dialogue but when I turned up the volume, it was solved. But then the whole rumble scenes got louder. I think 2049 audio is mastered for bigger dynamic range than typical releases these days.
I felt turning the volume up was the solution to the dialogue issue - but it was too much for the rest of my audience (system & sub handled it just fine - no worries).

I really liked the story BTW and think its a great movie (lots of food for thought)...others didn't share my enthusiasm though everyone liked it - just not in comparison to the original...
post #319 of 633 Old 01-22-2018, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2073 Post(s)
Liked: 1380
Quote:
I felt turning the volume up was the solution to the dialogue issue - but it was too much for the rest of my audience (system & sub handled it just fine - no worries).

I really liked the story BTW and think its a great movie (lots of food for thought)...others didn't share my enthusiasm though everyone liked it - just not in comparison to the original...
Well the original is pretty incredible. This one hasn't had near the time to be re-watched over and over. Which then leads to dissecting and examining all the delicious minutiae. Once we get to that point we can then really gauge it vs. the original. I will say I appreciated 2049 on repeat viewings, which bodes well for its future. Regardless of whether it ever reaches the same level of the original, I'll always be thrilled to have another installment that takes away nothing from the original and makes that world a bigger and richer place. Some other notable franchises could really stand to take note of this.
gwsat and winoman like this.

post #320 of 633 Old 01-22-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Well the original is pretty incredible. This one hasn't had near the time to be re-watched over and over. Which then leads to dissecting and examining all the delicious minutiae. Once we get to that point we can then really gauge it vs. the original. I will say I appreciated 2049 on repeat viewings, which bodes well for its future. Regardless of whether it ever reaches the same level of the original, I'll always be thrilled to have another installment that takes away nothing from the original and makes that world a bigger and richer place. Some other notable franchises could really stand to take note of this.
Couldn't agree more. I was able to buy the UHD HDR TrueHD Atmos quality version of Blade Runner 2049 from the Kaleidescape store and download it to my Kscape Strato on Christmas Eve. It was a nice early Christmas gift to myself. I have already lost track of how many times I have watched it and plan to see it again soon.
winoman and cardoski like this.

post #321 of 633 Old 01-22-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Agree completely and my feelings exactly. I'll certainly watch it again and likely will do so within the next month or so as neither of my (grown) boys has seen it and they will want to (both are either here with us or very close by). The wife will have to be out of the house though so we can play it at appropriate volume!
post #322 of 633 Old 01-22-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Regardless of whether it ever reaches the same level of the original,
Personally, I wouldn't bet on it.
Quote:
I'll always be thrilled to have another installment that takes away nothing from the original and makes that world a bigger and richer place. Some other notable franchises could really stand to take note of this.
Isn't it called Alien? I remember Ridley Scott commenting on tying it together.
For starter,

post #323 of 633 Old 01-23-2018, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 8
this will be my first movie in the new Dolby Atmos movie room I'm creating.
post #324 of 633 Old 01-23-2018, 12:21 PM

Actual Oscar nominations for Blade Runner 2049:

Best Cinematography
Best Production Design
Best Sound Editing
Best Sound Mixing
Best Visual Effects

Quote:

Best Production Design:

Beauty and the Beast
Blade Runner 2049
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water
Spot-on guesses in this category. 5/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyberlogy
Best Cinematography:

Blade Runner 2049
Call Me by Your Name
Dunkirk
Mudbound
The Shape of Water
4/5

Blade Runner 2049
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
Mudbound
The Shape of Water

Quote:
Best Visual Effects:

Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water
3/5

Blade Runner 2049
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Kong: Skull Island

Quote:
Best Sound Editing:

Baby Driver
Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water
5/5

Missed Sound Mixing entirely.

Baby Driver
Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water

Quote:
The Sound Editing prize is certain to go to Baby Driver, for that shootout scene where the gunshots and bullet hits are perfectly timed with the song on the soundtrack.

Blade Runner stands a chance in Visual Effects, IMO.

Josh Z

Last edited by Josh Z; 01-23-2018 at 12:26 PM.
post #325 of 633 Old 01-23-2018, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the update. I forgot about it while waiting till September.

2049 may also win production design.
post #326 of 633 Old 01-23-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
2049 may also win production design.
Nah, that's a lock for Shape of Water, which will claim a lot of technical awards but lose out on Best Picture to either Dunkirk or Three Billboards.

VFX is Blade Runner's best shot. Even there, it will probably be docked points for its vision being built largely off the work done in the original film. The Academy voters tend to reward originality or ingenuity in this category.

Josh Z

post #327 of 633 Old 01-24-2018, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 241
It would be a travesty if Deakins doesn't get the cinematography Oscar. The way he tells the story with each frame is mind blowing, the atmosphere, the resemblance to the existing world while still being something uniquely enveloping. His past work stands for itself, but nothing I've seen this year is in the same league on every facet of cinematography.
MarshallW, skibum5000 and winoman like this.
post #328 of 633 Old 01-24-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Nah, that's a lock for Shape of Water, which will claim a lot of technical awards but lose out on Best Picture to either Dunkirk or Three Billboards.

VFX is Blade Runner's best shot. Even there, it will probably be docked points for its vision being built largely off the work done in the original film. The Academy voters tend to reward originality or ingenuity in this category.
5 nominations is pretty good considering the original only got 2 nominations (art direction & visual effects) in 1983 Oscars. It was up against E.T., Tron and Poltergeist so it was a tough year.
post #330 of 633 Old 02-04-2018, 05:43 PM
IAH

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I'm sorry, but BR2049 HAS to be better than at least ONE of those movies nominated for best picture! The only other one I saw that is nominated for best picture was Dunkirk, and I didn't think it was as good as 2049 in ANY catagorie. How 'bout that!
skibum5000 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page