Blade Runner 2049 - In Theaters 10/6/17 - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 352Likes

post #331 of 633 Old 02-05-2018, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2067 Post(s)
Liked: 1365
I wanted to chime in with how wonderful this film is in 4K. It's set the new bar for the format. While Dunkirk may have slightly more fine detail, BR 2049 has it beat overall IMO.

As far as the Replicant reproduction discussion a rewatch added some new things to ponder. Captain Joshi makes it plain she thinks Replicant reproduction would be a huge change to the societal norm. As she says the wall would come down. Wallace still shows he doesn't. And I think that Joshi is thinking of it as a Replicant/Replicant pairing. I haven't changed my opinion that a hybrid would represent a greater impact, but there's certainly material to debate whether Joshi is reading how people will react better than Wallace.

I guess for me it comes down to this. At a fundamental level a machine making another machine is something our brains can process and have processed. Granted Replicants are so much more than mere machines, but I think humans could somewhat rationalize it and digest it at this level. A machine able to procreate with a human shatters any barrier we've created to be comfortable with manufacturing slaves. It has huge spiritual as well as biological implications.
Josh Z, winoman, cardoski and 1 others like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 633 Old 02-11-2018, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Thanks to crappy weather this weekend, I had a chance to watch it again. There are definitely layers that get peeled upon multiple watching. For now I'll pick on what I view as the result of lazy writing. How does Luv go
Spoiler!
What kind of future security system be that incompetent? Huge flaw / plot hole there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
I haven't changed my opinion that a hybrid would represent a greater impact
Superior in strength and agility, and at least equal in intelligence to the genetic engineers who created them
Spoiler!
Hybrid wouldn't be as superior as the purebred.
Quote:
A machine able to procreate with a human shatters any barrier we've created to be comfortable with manufacturing slaves. It has huge spiritual as well as biological implications.
That would be plausible if you omit a portion of the original movie which goes, "being virtually identical to a human". But there really isn't much of a barrier. They are red blooded, they feel pain and they are mortal after all. If you are referring to synthetic humanoid like the ones in Alien series, then yes, it is a clear barrier and your use of word "machine" fits more easily.
post #333 of 633 Old 02-12-2018, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyberlogy View Post
Thanks to crappy weather this weekend, I had a chance to watch it again. There are definitely layers that get peeled upon multiple watching. For now I'll pick on what I view as the result of lazy writing. How does Luv go
Spoiler!
What kind of future security system be that incompetent? Huge flaw / plot hole there. Superior in strength and agility, and at least equal in intelligence to the genetic engineers who created them
Spoiler!
Hybrid wouldn't be as superior as the purebred. That would be plausible if you omit a portion of the original movie which goes, "being virtually identical to a human". But there really isn't much of a barrier. They are red blooded, they feel pain and they are mortal after all. If you are referring to synthetic humanoid like the ones in Alien series, then yes, it is a clear barrier and your use of word "machine" fits more easily.
My take on Luv entering the Police station and committing the murders was done either through Wallace controlling security or the Wallace corporation being so powerful that even though the Police know who it is, they will not challenge them. Joshi doesn't summon security when Luv comes in which gives me the impression she doesn't feel she can remove her by force. So in my opinion, the Police know and are powerless to challenge Wallace.

As far as the human/Replicant hybrid vs Replicant/Replicant procreation discussion, that is meant to speculate which would have a bigger societal impact. I can't see any argument that the human genetics would do anything but make a weaker offspring. But being able to reproduce with Replicants, I think, would shake humanity to it's core. Whereas if it's purely Replicant reproduction humanity can hide behind machine begetting machine to rationalize things and keep using its disposable slave labor force. Personally since the original film I've never looked at Replicants as mere machines and this discussion isn't a reflection of my views on them. But the society in those films certainly sees them as such. And you can see the reasoning, for some people the sense of self is a fragile thing. Acknowledging what the Replicants really are can destroy this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 633 Old 02-12-2018, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked: 3269
Quote:
But being able to reproduce with Replicants, I think, would shake humanity to it's core. Whereas if it's purely Replicant reproduction humanity can hide behind machine begetting machine to rationalize things and keep using its disposable slave labor force. Personally since the original film I've never looked at Replicants as mere machines and this discussion isn't a reflection of my views on them. But the society in those films certainly sees them as such. And you can see the reasoning, for some people the sense of self is a fragile thing. Acknowledging what the Replicants really are can destroy this.
While I largely side with you on this debate, the counter to this argument comes from real human history. During the days of slavery in our country, male slave owners would often have sex with female slaves they viewed as sub-human, and this would sometimes beget children they also treated as sub-human.

The human capacity for denial is boundless.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #335 of 633 Old 02-12-2018, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
While I largely side with you on this debate, the counter to this argument comes from real human history. During the days of slavery in our country, male slave owners would often have sex with female slaves they viewed as sub-human, and this would sometimes beget children they also treated as sub-human.

The human capacity for denial is boundless.
That's certainly valid and it's an apt analogy. I think the machine/created being element does add a rather large twist to it. And the mixed race children were not always cast aside and did create moral dilemmas for some. Although not nearly as many as it should've (it was a minority of slave owners to be sure). To further look at the question I would say that even with human slavery, the slave was at least viewed as biological and part of "God's" domain. Lesser, yes, and as an animal rather than man. Replicants are something that exist wholly outside of any religious or spiritual context human's have established. We created them completely. Reproducing with them is a dilemma that is on a different level than what we've wrapped our brains around previously.

I don't doubt humanity's capacity for denial. But there is a biological connection hard wired into us that we feel towards our children. That alone would force society to do at least some self examination. Certainly moreso than a Replicant/Replicant pairing in my opinion.
Josh Z likes this.

post #336 of 633 Old 02-12-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
That's certainly valid and it's an apt analogy. I think the machine/created being element does add a rather large twist to it.
The word "machine" doesn't work when describing replicants, does it?
Quote:
Reproducing with them is a dilemma that is on a different level than what we've wrapped our brains around previously.
It was
Spoiler!

Quote:
But there is a biological connection hard wired into us that we feel towards our children. That alone would force society to do at least some self examination. Certainly moreso than a Replicant/Replicant pairing in my opinion.
What you presented as a threat to humanity is in 2 different categories, purebred vs hybrid. Former is political and the latter is moral but the latter isn't as big of an issue because what I already pointed out in the spoiler box above.
skibum5000 likes this.
post #337 of 633 Old 02-12-2018, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The word "machine" doesn't work when describing replicants, does it? It was
Spoiler!

What you presented as a threat to humanity is in 2 different categories, purebred vs hybrid. Former is political and the latter is moral but the latter isn't as big of an issue because what I already pointed out in the spoiler box above.
Again I'm using terms like machines or thing as a descriptor of how humanity in the films sees Replicants. Not as I myself see them.

Although there would certainly be some humans that would readily dimiss/dispose of their hybrid offspring, it's undeniable that at least some would see their child as theirs. It's hard to look at something that has your genetics and ancestry and not feel a connection. In either case Replicant reproduction has ramifications. But I certainly see hybrids having a larger impact on how that world views Replicants.

post #338 of 633 Old 02-12-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Again I'm using terms like machines or thing as a descriptor of how humanity in the films sees Replicants. Not as I myself see them.
I don't know about you but what I saw in the movie is replicants portrayed as slaves.
Quote:
Although there would certainly be some humans that would readily dimiss/dispose of their hybrid offspring, it's undeniable that at least some would see their child as theirs. It's hard to look at something that has your genetics and ancestry and not feel a connection. In either case Replicant reproduction has ramifications. But I certainly see hybrids having a larger impact on how that world views Replicants.
Yes, in anthropological aspect. But when looking at it from political aspect, it's the purebred. They can take over and turn the tables on humans. IOW, humans may become slaves.
skibum5000 likes this.
post #339 of 633 Old 02-12-2018, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 920
Machines are exactly how humans will see replicants/clones/robots. These themes are explored in great detail by Asimov.

The defining trait of humanity is cruelty towards other humans and towards animals. Why would be treat machines, who we create, any better than slaves. See shows like Westworld where these clones/replicants are used to serve the basest needs, that is much closer to the possible reality.

The idea that humanity will evolve into an idealized utopian society like the one in Star Trek and forget greed, cruelty and violence is pure fantasy.
winoman likes this.
post #340 of 633 Old 02-13-2018, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know about you but what I saw in the movie is replicants portrayed as slaves.
Yes, in anthropological aspect. But when looking at it from political aspect, it's the purebred. They can take over and turn the tables on humans. IOW, humans may become slaves.
Yup, not sure how much of the thread you've read, but I certainly see the Replicants as slaves as well. Referring to them as machines or things is in context of how humanity in that world views them.

I see where you're coming from. If you are looking at what would make the most difference in a potential conflict between the Replicants and humans then of course the Replicants being able to reproduce physically better specimens for the fight is going to matter more. I was looking at it purely from the psychological and societal impact.

It's certainly an interesting thing to ponder. What would happen if Replicants took power. Wallace in the film sees their reproduction as something he can control and exploit. The Replicant underground is guarding the secret. It's inferred they don't want it exploited either, but really don't know much more about their motivations. If they do make a 3rd film (which I kind of hope they don't at this point), this is probably the question they'll explore.

Last edited by jeahrens; 02-13-2018 at 07:34 AM.
post #341 of 633 Old 02-20-2018, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Original Blade Runner actor gives scathing review of sequel

Blade Runner 2049 has been heralded as a visual masterpiece by critics, Denis Villeneuve taking Ridley Scott’s vision and spinning out a worthy sequel.

Unfortunately, Rutger Hauer — best known for playing the replicant Roy Batty in the original Blade Runner — does not agree. Promoting an upcoming project at the Berline Film Festival, the 74-year-old gave a damning critique of 2049.

“I sniff and scratch at it,” Hauer told The Hollywood Reporter. “It looks great but I struggle to see why that film was necessary. I just think if something is so beautiful, you should just leave it alone and make another film. Don't lean with one elbow on the success that was earned over 30 years in the underground.

“In many ways, Blade Runner wasn't about the replicants, it was about what does it mean to be human? It's like E.T. But I'm not certain what the question was in the second Blade Runner. It's not a character-driven movie and there's no humour, there's no love, there's no soul.

“You can see the homage to the original. But that's not enough to me. I knew that wasn't going to work. But I think it's not important what I think.”

​Hauer famously wrote the “Tears in the Rain” speech he utters in Blade Runner, an iconic piece of cinema beloved by many. The actor will next appear in the biblical film Samson, starring alongside Billy Zane.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a8219176.html

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #342 of 633 Old 02-20-2018, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4471 Post(s)
Liked: 5819
^^^ Do I detect the telltale odor of sour grapes?

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #343 of 633 Old 02-20-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Huh? Did he get bumped out of some role recently?
post #344 of 633 Old 02-20-2018, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I disagree with Rutger Hauer's assessment on pretty much all counts. There is no doubt in my mind the original is the better movie (as it is an all time classic and it was executed stunningly in all aspects) - and Hauer's "tears in the rain" bit is a fantastic sequence and he deserves all the credit for it and for brilliantly playing the part of Roy Batty...but the sequel is a great film in its own right - produced very well - with a great story and atmosphere and with an expanded take on the very same themes as the original. I'm very glad it was made - have no complaints and feel it establishes itself well in both the Blade Runner and general serious Sci Fi film lexicon. (better than any Star Wars film IMO...but I haven't bothered to see the last 2 yet and in fact have only ever seen 2 of them in theater ever - the first and the first of the new series....yawn...) Thats my view anyway...
gwsat likes this.
post #345 of 633 Old 02-20-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah, his quote reads to me as: "They didn't ask me to be in the movie, so it sucks."
gwsat and ChromeJob like this.

Josh Z

post #346 of 633 Old 02-20-2018, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4471 Post(s)
Liked: 5819
Quote:
Huh? Did he get bumped out of some role recently?
No. My comment was based on Hauer having become a piece of film history, thanks to his iconic performance in an acknowledged classic, the original Blade Runner. I thought it possible, maybe even likely, that he was bothered because the great original had perhaps been put in the shade by its great sequel.
skibum5000 likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #347 of 633 Old 02-20-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winoman View Post
but the sequel is a great film in its own right - produced very well - with a great story and atmosphere and with an expanded take on the very same themes as the original. I'm very glad it was made -
Agreed, especially in the context of so many cooky cutter crap movies coming out these days. But the original had bigger impact in its own context. It was even considered too radical at the time. It can still hold its own 35 years later. The question is, will BR2049 hold its own in 35 years? I doubt it.
Quote:
have no complaints and feel it establishes itself well in both the Blade Runner and general serious Sci Fi film lexicon.
What I gathered from that article is that Rutger felt that BR2049 had too much homage to the original. I agree with him on the music score, casting and picture. Maybe this is because I like innovation...
post #348 of 633 Old 02-20-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Yeah, his quote reads to me as: "They didn't ask me to be in the movie, so it sucks."
But Roy died. How could this movie compensate for...

Oh, wait, I know!

Now the question is, what do Daryl Hannah and Joanna Cassidy say about BR2049?
post #349 of 633 Old 02-20-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
because the great original had perhaps been put in the shade by its great sequel.
No way. I don't think he worries about that. I mean, who in this movie put on the signature performance or at least something that can be remembered as such?

Here are some examples of signature performance by other actors.
John Hurt in Alien chest busting scene.
Russell Crow in Gladiator, "Are you not entertained!"
Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men, "You can't handle the truth!"
. etc.
Bonus: Will Ferrell in SNL, "more cowbell".
post #350 of 633 Old 02-21-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
But Roy died. How could this movie compensate for...

Oh, wait, I know!
He was a replicant. They can make another one. Not too hard to figure this out, especially since the movie already does that for another returning character.

Quote:
But the original had bigger impact in its own context. It was even considered too radical at the time. It can still hold its own 35 years later. The question is, will BR2049 hold its own in 35 years? I doubt it.
The original movie was a box office flop that received scathing reviews at the time. Its reputation didn't start to turn around until the Director's Cut was released ten years later. It's been four months since Blade Runner 2049 was released, and you've already decided that it won't "hold its own."

Quote:
No way. I don't think he worries about that. I mean, who in this movie put on the signature performance or at least something that can be remembered as such?

Here are some examples of signature performance by other actors.
John Hurt in Alien chest busting scene.
Russell Crow in Gladiator, "Are you not entertained!"
Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men, "You can't handle the truth!"
What a weird, totally arbitrary criteria to hold a movie to. How do you decide what is a "signature performance"? With those last two you cite, I gather that actors yelling really loudly is a big part of what makes a movie a classic for you.

Harrison Ford's performance in 2049 was better than his performance in the original.
sdurani, gwsat, skibum5000 and 1 others like this.

Josh Z

post #351 of 633 Old 02-21-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
He was a replicant. They can make another one. Not too hard to figure this out, especially since the movie already does that for another returning character.
That's because that character is part of the main theme. As for that particular scene,
Spoiler!
Maybe he just didn't want to deal with it?
Quote:
The original movie was a box office flop that received scathing reviews at the time. Its reputation didn't start to turn around until the Director's Cut was released ten years later. It's been four months since Blade Runner 2049 was released, and you've already decided that it won't "hold its own."
It's a prediction. How can you criticize a prediction before the fact? You can present your prediction.
Quote:
What a weird, totally arbitrary criteria to hold a movie to. How do you decide what is a "signature performance"? With those last two you cite, I gather that actors yelling really loudly is a big part of what makes a movie a classic for you.
Yelling, smiling...etc, whatever it may be, signature performance is what it says, something unique thus recognizable. If you have list of others, please feel free to share.
post #352 of 633 Old 02-21-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
It's a prediction. How can you criticize a prediction before the fact? You can present your prediction.
Viewers in 1982 predicted that Blade Runner would be utterly forgotten and never heard from again.

Josh Z

post #353 of 633 Old 02-21-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Viewers in 1982 predicted that Blade Runner would be utterly forgotten and never heard from again.
I was one of the viewers and I didn't predict that way.

As for your BR2049 prediction goes...?
post #354 of 633 Old 02-21-2018, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think this film will hold up fine in time. It will be riding the coattails of the original, but it's a sequel so I don't see that as a negative.

I don't know where Hauer is coming from. It could be sour grapes. But my gut says he may be expecting things from it, it isn't. The Replicants we have in this film are decidedly different than the Nexus models in the first film. This is by design. They're engineered to be subservient and docile. In fact behavior out of this norm is what undoes K. So you have to look for nuance. The childish excess of the Nexus models in the first film just isn't here. As a viewer you have to read the subtext in K's actions and words or interpret the tears shed by Luv. The ideas of Replicant reproduction and a Replicant resistance have weight and add to the themes of the original (which are still central to 2049).

So my guess is Hauer watched it once with his own ideas of what he thought it would be. Maybe he'll give it another spin and start to really see what it is.
Josh Z, gwsat and PannyMann like this.

post #355 of 633 Old 02-24-2018, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTV View Post

Bonus: Will Ferrell in SNL, "more cowbell".
Ahem. Christopher Walken. Still notable (and yeah, Will's dancing).

I remember seeing Blade Runner in the Norris theater at USC and instantly seeing it would effect sci-fi films for years to come. It was a "prestige piece" to Scott, though I doubt the studio knew he was doing that. (Then I saw Legend and thought, "whoops, that's not going to register in film history at all.")

As for Rutger, Oh shut up Rutger. No one reminded him strongly enough that ANYthing he'd say would be viewed through the filter of how he might be presumed to see a sequel to a film he was in, with all kinds of bias and gossip thrown in for flavor. I imagine that no one cares what he thinks of this new film, I'm surprised someone even printed it. Actually, no, it's hot and newsworthy, just not pertinent to anything. Next they'll be asking James Hong "what'd you think of Jared Leto's eyes," because of course, y'know, "I do eyes, I only do eyes."

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #356 of 633 Old 02-25-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Ahem. Christopher Walken. Still notable (and yeah, Will's dancing).
Yeah, that too but CW was already well established actor by then. At least you put effort to bring up something instead of just criticizing someone's effort without putting out his.
Quote:
I remember seeing Blade Runner in the Norris theater at USC and instantly seeing it would effect sci-fi films for years to come.
And it did, indeed.
Quote:
As for Rutger, Oh shut up Rutger. No one reminded him strongly enough that ANYthing he'd say would be viewed through the filter of how he might be presumed to see a sequel to a film he was in, with all kinds of bias and gossip thrown in for flavor. I imagine that no one cares what he thinks of this new film, I'm surprised someone even printed it. Actually, no, it's hot and newsworthy, just not pertinent to anything.
This was unusual. Typically they (media) ask actors about the movie they are in. It was possibly nothing more than click bait.
Quote:
Next they'll be asking James Hong "what'd you think of Jared Leto's eyes," because of course, y'know, "I do eyes, I only do eyes."
post #357 of 633 Old 02-25-2018, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1805
I do agree with Hauer that the film was absolutely not necessary. That does not mean they should not have made it! I'm glad they did. I think it moved the story along nicely, and I for one had always wondered about the fate of Deckard and Rachel. Will it rival the original? Only time will tell, I think it is too soon to say either way. I thoroughly enjoyed the film, though I will give my nod to the original over this one. Having not experienced it on the big screen though perhaps biases my preference?

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #358 of 633 Old 02-26-2018, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Is the UHD of this movie a big step up from the 1080p, picture-wise, not audio-wise?

Thanks.
post #359 of 633 Old 02-27-2018, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
Is the UHD of this movie a big step up from the 1080p, picture-wise, not audio-wise?

Thanks.
This film and Dunkirk raised the bar for me on 4K picture quality. Dunkirk may ever so slightly edge it in fine detail, but both feel like you can step into frame. I confess I haven't watched the 2K version, but the 4K is absolutely reference in my opinion.

Watching it on a 10' 2.35:1 screen with a calibrated JVC RS520.

post #360 of 633 Old 02-27-2018, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
This film and Dunkirk raised the bar for me on 4K picture quality. Dunkirk may ever so slightly edge it in fine detail, but both feel like you can step into frame. I confess I haven't watched the 2K version, but the 4K is absolutely reference in my opinion.

Watching it on a 10' 2.35:1 screen with a calibrated JVC RS520.
I own just 2 UHD movies. BR 2049 would make 3. The reason I posed my question is that the 1080p of "The Martian" IMO ends up looking remarkably similar to the UHD version at a very close viewing distance from a Sony x900e 4K TV. This must be due to the TV's fantastic up-scaling processor. If I knew this before buying the UHD, I woiuld have bought the 1080p version only.

In the same vein, because I read such great things about the recent re-release of "A Few Good Men" in 4K and, more importantly to me at the time, its reputedly upgraded 1080p version, I bought my second UHD. In short, IMO the latest 1080p version far outshines the orginal blu ray release in every respect except script. Not only that, but, once again, when upscaled by the Sony, the 1080p version looks to my eyes amazingly similar to the 4K from a very close viewing distance.

But that's "The Martian" and "A Few Good Men" 1080p disks, not "Blade Runner 2049" 1080p. For all I know, maybe the 2049 1080p was deliberately made to suck compared to the 4k.

I assume you bought the commercial version of 2049 that includes the 1080p disk. Would you be kind enough to view a small portion of the 1080p version and give your impression of it versus the UHD and at what viewing distance you sat from your gigantic screen when you watched the 1080p?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page