Blade Runner 2049 - In Theaters 10/6/17 - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 352Likes

post #121 of 633 Old 11-01-2017, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I had a bad feeling going into this movie, but overall, it was good (not great) roughly speaking. I've watched it twice now but I don't "understand" it, and to be honest, I'm too embarrassed to ask someone to explain it to me now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 633 Old 11-01-2017, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4477 Post(s)
Liked: 5830
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStella View Post
I had a bad feeling going into this movie, but overall, it was good (not great) roughly speaking. I've watched it twice now but I don't "understand" it, and to be honest, I'm too embarrassed to ask someone to explain it to me now.
What you saw as a weakness to Blade Runner 2049 we fans of the 1982 original viewed as a strength. The sequel answered a number of questions left hanging in the original and did it while telling a compelling story of its own. Don't get me wrong, though. Your criticism is perfectly legitimate. Why should it be necessary to be a devoted fan of a Hollywood blockbuster's predecessor in order to fully appreciate the sequel. Needless to say, I will be buying the UHD HDR Atmos version of the film just as soon as it is available. That you are less interested is perfectly understandable.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #123 of 633 Old 11-02-2017, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I saw BR2049 again recently and liked it even more upon a second viewing. There's a lot of subtle details to pick up on that you can miss the first time around. I really like how it kept the same feel of the original movie, slow pacing, emphasis on visuals over action and the old school mystery type plot.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I also thought the way they included clues that this is the future of the original BR world and not our future was very clever. The PAN AM sign, Gosling's Peugeot, the ballerina from CCCP all indicate that this is an alternative timeline, which was a cool wrinkle in the BR universe.

Saw the 3D the second time and it didn't really add much overall, I think 2D is probably the way to go with this title.

Will definitely be buying the BD, one of the more thoughtful and beautiful movies I've seen in quite some time.
skibum5000 and IronWaffle like this.

Aperion Intimus 5T towers, Intimus 6C center, 4B bookshelves and S8-APR, Onkyo TXNR-809
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 633 Old 11-02-2017, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 130
loved it. however the screen I saw it on left a lot to be desired. bass vibrated their theater a lot, and the visuals was slightly blurred.
post #125 of 633 Old 11-03-2017, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
The sequel answered a number of questions left hanging in the original and did it while telling a compelling story of its own.
You mean the Final Cut of the original?
post #126 of 633 Old 11-03-2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iStella View Post
I don't "understand" it
Did you watch any versions of the original? If not, you should.
post #127 of 633 Old 11-03-2017, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Took them long enough to make a sequel. It should be called Late Runner IMO
skibum5000, Hicks and ChromeJob like this.
post #128 of 633 Old 11-03-2017, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked: 3329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I also thought the way they included clues that this is the future of the original BR world and not our future was very clever. The PAN AM sign, Gosling's Peugeot, the ballerina from CCCP all indicate that this is an alternative timeline, which was a cool wrinkle in the BR universe.
It also helps to explain why the characters in the movie don't use cell phones or the internet, among other things. If this were an extrapolation of our real world, the Joi character would have been networked and all of K's movements with her easily trackable.
Hicks and IronWaffle like this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #129 of 633 Old 11-03-2017, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
I'm confused as to why this is significant. Why would this be a "real world future" anyway? It's a sequel to a movie, and it would be based on the other movie's world.
GordonTV likes this.
post #130 of 633 Old 11-03-2017, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2116 Post(s)
Liked: 1109
It was better in a LIEmax theater, where the sound system was up to the task of all that bass.

I don't think you had to have seen the first film to "get" this one, but it helps. The first film had to do with "free will," and do any of us really have it. Replicants least of all, as artificial beings used as slave labor. This new film expanded on the idea, and even made it seem benign (the Joi AI being that K has for a gf).

BTW, I think Joi might not be networked in the cloud, but the reason for him downloading her only to the "emanator" (sp?) was that anything her remote self knew was also shared/stored with her base unit in his apartment. So he deleted her from the base unit. That was my reading of it.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #131 of 633 Old 11-03-2017, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
I'm confused as to why this is significant. Why would this be a "real world future" anyway? It's a sequel to a movie, and it would be based on the other movie's world.
Not saying that it is "significant", but just interesting and also a point of divergence from the original which, along with the novel by Philip K. Dick, I think were intended to present a possible future for our reality.

Really it's an artifact of waiting 35 years to make a sequel and I liked the way they handled it.
gwsat and skibum5000 like this.

Aperion Intimus 5T towers, Intimus 6C center, 4B bookshelves and S8-APR, Onkyo TXNR-809
post #132 of 633 Old 11-03-2017, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked: 3329
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
BTW, I think Joi might not be networked in the cloud, but the reason for him downloading her only to the "emanator" (sp?) was that anything her remote self knew was also shared/stored with her base unit in his apartment. So he deleted her from the base unit. That was my reading of it.
Yes, but my point was that, if this were supposed to be a plausible future from our real world, Joi would have been networked to the cloud on either device and monitored remotely. K would have no expectation of privacy or secrets with her.

Also, a lot of the detective work he does in the film would have been much easier with a smartphone.

I appreciated the fact that the film didn't try to ret-con some explanation for the 2019 date given in the original movie. We're just two years away from that now and Los Angeles doesn't quite look that bad, nor do we have off-world colonies or the technology to make Replicants. Rather than try to explain that away, the sequel owns it and builds a future in an alternate timeline.

I'm reminded of how awkward Arthur C. Clarke's book sequels to '2001: A Space Odyssey' got when he kept fudging the dates the events of previous books took place. According to the sequels, the plot of '2001' didn't even take place in 2001, which seemed ridiculous.
Hicks and ChromeJob like this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #133 of 633 Old 11-04-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I appreciated the fact that the film didn't try to ret-con some explanation for the 2019 date given in the original movie. We're just two years away from that now and Los Angeles doesn't quite look that bad, nor do we have off-world colonies or the technology to make Replicants. Rather than try to explain that away, the sequel owns it and builds a future in an alternate timeline.
Back when the original was released, I remember reading about the story line which is set in the "near future" as opposed to far future such as Star Trek. So the sequence was established back in early 80's... "Coding sequence cannot be revised once it's been established."
ChromeJob likes this.
post #134 of 633 Old 11-06-2017, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Question for all of you that have seen Bladerunner 2049.. I went to see it at my local Cinnemark XD with Auro 11.1 sound. I basically came out of the theater with my ears bleeding. It was extremely loud and had many awful sharp and harsh sounds. I liked the movie ok but the audio totally killed the experience for me. I felt like I should have been wearing earplugs. I left the theater with my ears ringing and had slight hearing loss for a couple hours after. It didn't even seem to me like it would have sounded good if it was a bit quieter due to how harsh and un-natural the sound was. I have seen a few movies at that theater before and I don't remember them being that loud or harsh sounding so I think it might have just been 2049. Anyone else have a similar experience?
RobertR and ChromeJob like this.
post #135 of 633 Old 11-06-2017, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post
I have seen a few movies at that theater before and I don't remember them being that loud or harsh sounding so I think it might have just been 2049. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Me. I also suffered the same from seeing Alien: Covenant in theater. Maybe I have sensitive ears...
post #136 of 633 Old 11-06-2017, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFEer View Post
Me. I also suffered the same from seeing Alien: Covenant in theater. Maybe I have sensitive ears...
I definitely have sensitive ears and always have. I've never had an issue at a movie theater before this though. No one I went with seemed to be concerned or phased by the sound. I won't go to a concert without taking along earplugs. Riding my first motorcycle home from the dealer was also an interesting experience... Never thought I would have needed earplugs for that.

Its an interesting discussion though... Maybe next time I go to the movies I will bring along my SPL meter. I was thinking something along the lines of the auro surround sound tuning doing something to the tuning of the sound in an attempt to make it more immersive possibly boosting the highs or something, and maybe its not a good pairing for the sound system Cinnemark uses in their XD theaters.
post #137 of 633 Old 11-07-2017, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I didn't have any issues with the sound either time I saw BR2049, but it was unbearably loud when I saw the theatrical edition of Rush: Clockwork Angels Live. That night I wished I had brought earplugs, since the volume was up high enough that it felt like I was at a real concert without the plugs.

post #138 of 633 Old 11-07-2017, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Maybe next time I go to the movies I will bring along my SPL meter.
That and continually rising ticket price, it's becoming less and less likely that I'll be going to theater for movie. I bought Alien: Covenant Blu-ray disc for $12.99 on the day it came out. That's less than a ticket price at a local theater.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #139 of 633 Old 11-08-2017, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2116 Post(s)
Liked: 1109
Quote:
Question for all of you that have seen Bladerunner 2049.. I went to see it at my local Cinnemark XD with Auro 11.1 sound. I basically came out of the theater with my ears bleeding. It was extremely loud and had many awful sharp and harsh sounds. I liked the movie ok but the audio totally killed the experience for me. I felt like I should have been wearing earplugs. I left the theater with my ears ringing and had slight hearing loss for a couple hours after. It didn't even seem to me like it would have sounded good if it was a bit quieter due to how harsh and un-natural the sound was. I have seen a few movies at that theater before and I don't remember them being that loud or harsh sounding so I think it might have just been 2049. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Quote:
I definitely have sensitive ears and always have. I've never had an issue at a movie theater before this though. No one I went with seemed to be concerned or phased by the sound. I won't go to a concert without taking along earplugs. Riding my first motorcycle home from the dealer was also an interesting experience... Never thought I would have needed earplugs for that.

Its an interesting discussion though... Maybe next time I go to the movies I will bring along my SPL meter. I was thinking something along the lines of the auro surround sound tuning doing something to the tuning of the sound in an attempt to make it more immersive possibly boosting the highs or something, and maybe its not a good pairing for the sound system Cinnemark uses in their XD theaters.
It was loud at the two theaters I saw it at, but my ears weren't ringing after. I'd guess the sound was up around 90 dB? It was better quality at the Liemax theater.

I would complain to the theater management. If it happens again, as annoying as it is, go out and demand a refund for substandard exhibition quality.

Anecdote: back in 2005, I was seeing more films in theaters. I noticed that, in mainstream venues, trailers were louder than the films, and they all were frequently punctuated explosions and crescendos, so that my ears DID hurt and were ringing when the scheduled film started. For Batman Begins, I came from work with my messenger bag, and had Bose TriPort OTE headphones in it. I wore them for the trailers, then took them off for the film. Almost nobody else in the theater, but a teenage girl and her mom, and the girl went out of the theater during the trailers. ... Sure enough, after the movie I was walking out and theater manager stopped me with a young security guard behind her (trying his best to look threatening; please, rent-a-cops, don't try to intimidate veterans physically with a smug smile, you could get hurt doing that). She wanted to see inside my bag. I showed her my headphones, my Casio PDA, and my phone. She said "someone reported that you were recording the film." I told her why I put them on (excessive volume, aggravating my recently diagnosed tinnitus) , and asked for a corporate customer service contact so I could complain about the excessive volume of trailers prior to the movie. Got it, complained. Have never been back to that theater again, though they sent me free passes (gave them away). Sad to say, this continues, though now the super loud ads include shorts for cars, soda pop, TV shows, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFEer View Post
That and continually rising ticket price, it's becoming less and less likely that I'll be going to theater for movie. I bought Alien: Covenant Blu-ray disc for $12.99 on the day it came out. That's less than a ticket price at a local theater.
Interestingly, Mike S. at Red Letter Media, railed at theaters during their "Half in the Bag" review of Thor Ragnarok this week. His experience in the theater was awful, and he jokes that they should just hang it up, and make their money off of home streaming and media sales. Costco has 55" or better 4K TVs for < $1000 this Black Friday, so with home theaters being so affordable, why not just stay home and watch a movie? There were a lot of summer films I didn't see this year, like previous years, because I can enjoy them more at home. I have no inclination to see a new movie when it comes out.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 11-08-2017 at 08:48 PM.
post #140 of 633 Old 11-09-2017, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 1804
^ Sorry ChromeJob but a 55" 4K TV is not a home theater, it's just a big TV. Go the projector route for a true home theater or at the very least buy a direct view 85" and sit close.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #141 of 633 Old 11-09-2017, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
^ Sorry ChromeJob but a 55" 4K TV is not a home theater, it's just a big TV. Go the projector route for a true home theater or at the very least buy a direct view 85" and sit close.
Smells of an elitist take on things.

IMO, if you have a decent sized TV for your room, and have a surround set up in that room (not just a soundbar), then I say it qualifies as a "home theater".
MackGuyver and ChromeJob like this.
post #142 of 633 Old 11-09-2017, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 2163
Weta released a video about their miniature work on this:

And here's the page on their site that includes the video and a bunch of stills: http://wetaworkshop.com/projects/blade-runner-2049/
ChromeJob and MrGrey like this.
post #143 of 633 Old 11-09-2017, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4477 Post(s)
Liked: 5830
I love my home theater, as the amounts I paid for its components remind me. Nevertheless, I still see movies in the theater regularly and enjoy doing so. There is no way to avoid the occasional loud sounds of popcorn crunching or candy wrappers being removed but that sort of thing doesn't happen often. For the most part I really enjoy the moviegoing experience. There is no substitute for sitting in a darkened theater with strangers while watching a film on an 80 plus feet screen. The audio is ordinarily rather good too but most of us can do a pretty good job of replicating a first class movie theater on our home systems. Even so, great audio in a theater is almost a religious experience for me.
MarshallW and GordonTV like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #144 of 633 Old 11-09-2017, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
i love my home theater, as the amounts i paid for its components remind me. Nevertheless, i still see movies in the theater regularly and enjoy doing so. There is no way to avoid the occasional loud sounds of popcorn crunching or candy wrappers being removed but that sort of thing doesn't happen often. For the most part i really enjoy the moviegoing experience. There is no substitute for sitting in a darkened theater with strangers while watching a film on an 80 plus feet screen. The audio is ordinarily rather good too but most of us can do a pretty good job of replicating a first class movie theater on our home systems. Even so, great audio in a theater is almost a religious experience for me.
Amen! Thank you, G!
gwsat likes this.

Tin-eared audiofool, vidiot, Classical-music lover, and highly amateur fotografer.
https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/1403000385/albums
In a 6.2.6: Oppo '203; Marantz AV8805; pairs of PS Audio BHK 300 and Emotiva A-700 pwramps; Quad ESL 2905s, 10 ELAC B6 srnds and ceilings, 2 Rythmik F15HP and 2 F18 SWs; Epson 5040UB and 96"-wide 2.35-ratio screen.
post #145 of 633 Old 11-13-2017, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 2163
If anyone is interested in the UI design for BR 2049, Territory Studio put out a video and a page with stills: http://territorystudio.com/projects/blade-runner-2049/

cardoski and MrGrey like this.
post #146 of 633 Old 11-17-2017, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked: 6513
post #147 of 633 Old 11-17-2017, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked: 6513
post #148 of 633 Old 12-26-2017, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 1804
The streaming SD/HDX/UHD versions of this film are now available on VUDU, Google Play, Amazon and iTunes.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #149 of 633 Old 12-27-2017, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1177 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
The streaming SD/HDX/UHD versions of this film are now available on VUDU, Google Play, Amazon and iTunes.
Yup seen the 1080p version and looked quiet good, yep these are the times I wished I had a front projector or an 85" tv vs my 60" though I sit quiet close. Still I can just envision this in my mind how cool this film had looked on a big 120-140' screen! One day.....
Excellent movie though no question, totally worthy sequel of the original, a rare feat.
gwsat likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #150 of 633 Old 12-27-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyberlogy View Post
"Blade Runner 2049 Blu-ray release date is estimated for December 2017"
https://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/mov...de-runner-2049
They were off by a month!
Now it's 01/16/18.