Blade Runner 2049 - In Theaters 10/6/17 - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 352Likes

post #151 of 633 Old 12-27-2017, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked: 2981
Wow, streamed last night first viewing. I have a bad back and 245 in the theater is too much. Lucky for me I finished my Velvet pit some months ago so I was by no means slumming it. I have a 120in front projection screen with masking and a JVC X500 PJ. My room is completely and totally triple black velvet. So all I see is the image floating into the void....

Anywho, my initial reaction is one of my all time favorite movies.This,imho is a work of art and rivals GOD Father 2 for best sequel. I could not ask for anymore, told it's own story with in the story without stepping on toes or pandering or any number of the short falls sequels and reboots tend to do these days. Every performance was strong and nuanced and expanded the world. To say nothing of all that eye candy drizzled with hints of the original score. So haunting and so alluring, I can not wait to get this on disc.

On a side note, I need bass. I can only imagine how much rumble I missed in this movie.lol
JJ7, Osirus23, MrGrey and 1 others like this.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 633 Old 01-08-2018, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 831
My thoughts:

It has some impressive visuals (giant interactive ads, landscapes, etc.) The dreaded teal/orange ugliness rears its inundating cliche head, but it's not as pervasive as I had feared. It's VERY loud in spots, with overwhelming bass. I'm glad I did NOT see it in an IMAX venue.

I had problems with the story. It didn't really go anywhere interesting beyond the original. I don't think it really could have, since the fundamental questions about and implications of the existence of replicants had already been addressed well in the original.

Spoiler!

I give it style points, but the story doesn't measure up.
bulls likes this.

Last edited by RobertR; 01-08-2018 at 07:23 PM.
post #153 of 633 Old 01-08-2018, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
I had problems with the story. It didn't really go anywhere interesting beyond the original. I don't think it really could have, since the fundamental questions about and implications of the existence of replicants had already been addressed well in the original.

Spoiler!

Which "original" are you referring to, the theatrical release or the director's (final) cut?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 633 Old 01-08-2018, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFEer View Post
Which "original" are you referring to, the theatrical release or the director's (final) cut?
Since the fundamental questions about and implications of being a replicant are essentially the same in either version (yes, I'm aware of the whole "is Deckard a replicant" debate that Scott tried to skew with his later edit), it doesn't really matter. There's really nothing new in BR 2049 beyond what I addressed, and that development doesn't really lead to anything.
bulls likes this.
post #155 of 633 Old 01-08-2018, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
... impressed visuals ... loud in spots, with overwhelming bass....

the story. It didn't really go anywhere interesting beyond the original.[/SPOILER]

yup. exactly.

it has some visual style but the story lacked.
simple prolonged repetitive story on a pretty picture... i dont even know that i have patience to watch it again, except to turn it up for the occasional bass
... as opposed to the original which still feels interesting
RobertR likes this.

display - vizio p65
AVR x4300h +lepai 2ch amp = 7.2.4
L/C/R - Chane 2.4, SURROUND - dayton 3in cubes *temporary
BASS - 2x Seaton F18 + JTR 1400 "the wind machine" (not port noise)
2100 ft^3
post #156 of 633 Old 01-08-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Spoiler!

Spoiler!
I only saw it once so I may have missed something.
gwsat likes this.
post #157 of 633 Old 01-08-2018, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Spoiler!
I only saw it once so I may have missed something.
Spoiler!

Last edited by RobertR; 01-08-2018 at 10:34 PM.
post #158 of 633 Old 01-09-2018, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4477 Post(s)
Liked: 5830
Quote:
My thoughts:

It has some impressive visuals (giant interactive ads, landscapes, etc.) The dreaded teal/orange ugliness rears its inundating cliche head, but it's not as pervasive as I had feared. It's VERY loud in spots, with overwhelming bass. I'm glad I did NOT see it in an IMAX venue.

Spoiler!

I love loud movies with great LFE but sometimes even a self confessed bass-head like me wishes the LFE could have been dialed back a bit. The opening scene in this film had such loud, low LFE that the low frequencies not only pounded my chest but caused my family room's plantation shutters and the door to my master bedroom to rattle rather alarmingly. Fun in a way I guess but I think a little moderation here could have made it better.

I disagree profoundly with your analysis of the film.
Spoiler!

Pardon my prolixity but I am a Blade Runner nerd so I can't help myself.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K

Last edited by gwsat; 01-09-2018 at 12:15 PM.
post #159 of 633 Old 01-09-2018, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I love loud movies with great LFE but sometimes even a self confessed bass-head like me wishes the LFE could have been dialed back a bit. The opening scene in this film had such loud, low LFE that the low frequencies not only pounded my chest but caused my family room's plantation shutters and the door to my master bedroom to rattle rather alarmingly. Fun in a way I guess but I think a little moderation here could have made it better.

I disagree profoundly with your analysis of the film.
Spoiler!

Pardon my prolixity but I am a Blade Runner nerd so I can't help myself.
It's always been obvious that Deckard and Rachel wound up together, even if Scott tried to obfuscate it in the so called "final cut". I never saw any Blade Runner devotee say anything like "golly gee, I sure hope this new movie answers the question of whether Deckard and Rachel got together" prior to it coming out. Can you point out a post where this was said?

As for your other point,

Spoiler!
skibum5000 likes this.
post #160 of 633 Old 01-09-2018, 10:19 AM

@RobertR -- Despite my profound disagreement with your negative opinion and your analysis leading to your conclusion, understand that you weren't crazy about the film.

In stark contrast to your opinion of the film, on IMDb I gave Blade Runner 2049 a vote of 10 Stars out of 10 and nearly 200,000 other IMDb voters have given an average rating of 8.3 Stars out of 10. The critical acclaim it has received has been equally lavish. The reviews collected by Rotten Tomatoes were 87 percent "Fresh." I think we can agree, then, that although you are certainly entitled to your opinion of the film, it puts you in a decided minority. What the hell though, without differences of opinion we wouldn't have horse racing.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #161 of 633 Old 01-09-2018, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think we can agree, then, that although you are certainly entitled to your opinion of the film, it puts you in a decided minority
It doesn't put me in a minority among movie goers in general, since the movie was a box office flop. More to the point, saying that some people liked it does nothing at all to counter my specific criticisms.
post #162 of 633 Old 01-09-2018, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Liked: 3323
Quote:
It doesn't put me in a minority among movie goers in general, since the movie was a box office flop.
Being a box office flop is not the same thing as saying that people didn't like it. All it means is that people weren't interested enough to pay to see it. If they haven't seen it, they have no way of deciding whether they liked it or not.

The original film was also a box office flop.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #163 of 633 Old 01-09-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
It's always been obvious that Deckard and Rachel wound up together, even if Scott tried to obfuscate it in the so called "final cut". I never saw any Blade Runner devotee say anything like "golly gee, I sure hope this new movie answers the question of whether Deckard and Rachel got together" prior to it coming out. Can you point out a post where this was said?
As for the original, besides the theatrical release in USA, there was alternative release targeted for European market which has more nudity and love scene. In 1982 European cut, the ending didn't show Rick & Rachel driving into the sunset. Instead, it ends when the elevator door closes (just like the director's butchered / cut ) but the speculation / talks in town was that Rick brought Rachel out in the field and "retired" her with his pistol. IOW, he kept his professional duty.

Quote:
Spoiler!
If my memory serves,
Spoiler!
Convoluted plot? Yes.

This will be solved in 7 days!
gwsat likes this.
post #164 of 633 Old 01-09-2018, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Being a box office flop is not the same thing as saying that people didn't like it. All it means is that people weren't interested enough to pay to see it. If they haven't seen it, they have no way of deciding whether they liked it or not.
It's reasonable in many cases to assume that people don't bother to see a movie because they know they wouldn't like it. That was certainly the case with me and a number of movies including the Transformers franchise.

Quote:
The original film was also a box office flop.
My point is that specific criticisms of a movie aren't obviated simply by saying "x group of people liked it".
post #165 of 633 Old 01-09-2018, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As for the original, besides the theatrical release in USA, there was alternative release targeted for European market which has more nudity and love scene. In 1982 European cut, the ending didn't show Rick & Rachel driving into the sunset. Instead, it ends when the elevator door closes (just like the director's butchered / cut ) but the speculation / talks in town was that Rick brought Rachel out in the field and "retired" her with his pistol. IOW, he kept his professional duty.
In my years of reading threads about BR, I've never seen speculation along those lines. It doesn't make sense in the context of earlier scenes clearly showing mutual romantic interest. If he was so eager to "do his duty", why would he wait to off her?

Quote:
If my memory serves,
Spoiler!
Please point out the scene where what you said happens.

Spoiler!
skibum5000 likes this.

Last edited by RobertR; 01-09-2018 at 12:01 PM.
post #166 of 633 Old 01-09-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
As for the original, besides the theatrical release in USA, there was alternative release targeted for European market which has more nudity and love scene. In 1982 European cut, the ending didn't show Rick & Rachel driving into the sunset. Instead, it ends when the elevator door closes (just like the director's butchered / cut )
The only difference between the American and European theatrical cuts is that the Euro version had some extra snippets of violence (not sex or nudity). From IMDb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083658/...f_=tt_ql_trv_5

-When Roy attacks Tyrell we clearly see him pushing his thumbs into Tyrell's eyes, and blood spurting out
-When Pris (Daryl Hannah) attacks Deckard, she reaches down and grabs him by the nostrils
-When Deckard shoots Pris, he shoots 3 times instead of 2
-When Roy pushes the nail through his hand, there is a shot of the nail coming through the skin on the other side.

Both of these versions of the movie have the happy ending where Deckard and Rachel drive off into the forest. Aside from the early 1982 Workprint (which was test-screened for selected audiences but represented an uncompleted version of the movie), the 1992 Director's Cut was the first official version of the movie to end with the elevator doors closing.

Quote:
but the speculation / talks in town was that Rick brought Rachel out in the field and "retired" her with his pistol. IOW, he kept his professional duty.
I agree with RobertR that I had never heard anyone speculate this.
Tack, gwsat and skibum5000 like this.

Josh Z

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #167 of 633 Old 01-09-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Please point out the scene where what you said happens.
As shown in my spoiler on post number 163.
post #168 of 633 Old 01-09-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
In my years of reading threads about BR, I've never seen speculation along those lines.
Quote:
I agree with RobertR that I had never heard anyone speculate this.
Must have been a localized speculation / talk back in 1982.
post #169 of 633 Old 01-09-2018, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Must have been a localized speculation / talk back in 1982.
Based on what Josh said, there is no basis for the "European cut" to cause such speculation.
post #170 of 633 Old 01-09-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Based on what Josh said, there is no basis for the "European cut" to cause such speculation.
I don't believe people on this planet all speculate / talk the same way. If we do, there won't be any use for Rorschach test.
post #171 of 633 Old 01-09-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
It's reasonable in many cases to assume that people don't bother to see a movie because they know they wouldn't like it.
In which case, most people also "knew" that they wouldn't like the original Blade Runner either.

Josh Z

post #172 of 633 Old 01-09-2018, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In which case, most people also "knew" that they wouldn't like the original Blade Runner either.
Yes.
post #173 of 633 Old 01-09-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Yes.
Which does not make it a bad movie.

I disagree with some of your reading of 2049, but I would need to watch it again to be clear on some of the plot points.

Spoiler!
skibum5000 likes this.

Josh Z

post #174 of 633 Old 01-09-2018, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2213 Post(s)
Liked: 3441
Quote:

I disagree with some of your reading of 2049, but I would need to watch it again to be clear on some of the plot points.

Spoiler!
After reading the spoiler, I agree with your logic.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #175 of 633 Old 01-09-2018, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't believe people on this planet all speculate / talk the same way. If we do, there won't be any use for Rorschach test.
Previously you said the speculation was caused by differences in the European cut. Now you're saying it's caused by differences in individual psychology, even though you're unable to point to anything that would have caused such speculation.
post #176 of 633 Old 01-09-2018, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Again, my point is that a specific critique is not obviated by citing numbers on how many people liked something.

Quote:

Spoiler!
Spoiler!
post #177 of 633 Old 01-09-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes.
In my case, I "knew" I wouldn't like Blade Runner (1982), either and skipped it in the theater. In fact, I had only seen it on TV until I bought the 5 Disc Complete Collectors Edition BDs in 2007. Then I fell in love with the film and became a genuine Blade Runner nerd. Finally I bought the UHD HDR TrueHD Atmos version last fall and was simply blown away. Both its UHD HDR video and TrueHD Atmos audio are a triumph and make this already great film more impressive than ever. Make of all this what you will. Exam to follow.
skibum5000 likes this.

post #178 of 633 Old 01-09-2018, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In my case, I "knew" I wouldn't like Blade Runner (1982), either and skipped it in the theater. In fact, I had only seen it on TV until I bought the 5 Disc Complete Collectors Edition BDs in 2007.
You can't have been all that certain you wouldn't like it if you wound up buying the collector's edition. But yet again, this discussion doesn't address my specific critiques.
post #179 of 633 Old 01-09-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
In my case, I "knew" I wouldn't like Blade Runner (1982), either and skipped it in the theater. In fact, I had only seen it on TV until I bought the 5 Disc Complete Collectors Edition BDs in 2007. Then I fell in love with the film and became a genuine Blade Runner nerd. Finally I bought the UHD HDR TrueHD Atmos version last fall and was simply blown away. Both its UHD HDR video and TrueHD Atmos audio are a triumph and make this already great film more impressive than ever. Make of all this what you will. Exam to follow.
Quote:
You can't have been all that certain you wouldn't like it if you wound up buying the collector's edition. But yet again, this discussion doesn't address my specific critiques.
It’s surely unintentional but you have overlooked my salient point that after I decided not to see Blade Runner in the theater, in 1982, I watched it on TV. In the event, I watched it on TV several times between the ‘80s, when it first appeared there, and 2007, when I bought the BDs. I should have added that long before the time I bought the disks, a critical consensus had been reached that the film was a classic.

post #180 of 633 Old 01-09-2018, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It’s surely unintentional but you have overlooked my salient point that after I decided not to see Blade Runner in the theater, in 1982, I watched it on TV. In the event, I watched it on TV several times between the ‘80s, when it first appeared there, and 2007, when I bought the BDs. I should have added that long before the time I bought the disks, a critical consensus had been reached that the film was a classic.
I still don't know what this has to do with my specific critiques of BR 2049.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page