Your favourite scene for Audio/Video - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Tack
  • 1 Post By Gorilla Killa
  • 2 Post By Kenshiro 26
  • 1 Post By Defcon

post #1 of 21 Old 12-21-2016, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Cool Your favourite scene for Audio/Video

I've been searching quite a while to see if a thread like this exists. I know there are threads where people rate movies in general, but I'd like to know this from HT owners. What according to you were some of the best scenes for Audio/Video or both in various movies that you have seen so far ?

My favourite scene for Video is the opening credits scene from Life of Pi, and the astral projection scene from Doctor Strange.

As for audio, the opening bank robbery scene in Dark Knight and a scene in Book of Eli where the bad guys wait for Denzel to come out of the house and then start shooting it down(particularly the chain machine gun).

This is what I can remember so far. Looking forward to your comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-22-2016, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1212
I guess the start of ET has a nice sound to it......... (Nice scenry,music,etc)
post #3 of 21 Old 12-28-2016, 01:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hit-Girl coming to the rescue of Big Daddy and Kick-Ass
Awesome in pitch black room with sound at reference level
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 12-28-2016, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1820
Opening scene on Oblivion.

Amazing for demos! Starts off with nothing but Tom's voice to kinda tease the audience of what is about to come. Followed by some amazing music when the words Oblivion show up and suddenly everybody knows that your audio system means business! Then comes some pretty awesomely intense flying space ship action!
post #5 of 21 Old 12-28-2016, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 195
The "Train crash" scene from Super 8, and the storm and plane crash scenes from Flight of the Phoenix starring Dennis Quade are outstanding Blu-ray demo disks if you want to show off your home theater's capabilities.

I play the Super 8 scene first "at volume", every time someone asks me to demo my home theater; they are consistently blown away!

There are a multitude of visually stunning films available; Lawrence of Arabia, and Oblivion are two solid choices.
post #6 of 21 Old 12-28-2016, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4847 Post(s)
Liked: 6524
Finding Nemo's Darla tank tap will get peoples undivided attention. Stops all conversation mid sentence.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #7 of 21 Old 12-29-2016, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked: 2208
For audio War of Worlds Lightning scene always stands my hair up, cranked up of course. I also like the chopper ride in to LA in Battle Los Angeles.

For video Oz the Great and Powerful
GoCaboNow likes this.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-29-2016, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Opening scene of master and commander. (Other than that the movie stunk)

Jurassic park - the scene where they find Malcolm and he slowly starts to hear the footsteps of the Trex and then the chase that follows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 21 Old 12-29-2016, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I love scenes with lots and lots of ultra low frequency. The Washington monument scene in Olympus has fallen is probably my favorite. Watching the thing come crashing down and shaking the couch is just awesome.
post #10 of 21 Old 12-29-2016, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Audio
+1 to all that have been mentioned.

I love the whole Millennium Falcon theft scene from Force awakens. As soon as the air strike is called in the scene gets crazy awesome. The mid bass punch of the lazer blasts hitting the ground always makes my hair stand on end. Then once the engines of the falcon fire up the low bass is hard hitting and plentiful. I also love both of the Kilo Ren mind read scenes too. Mabye not the best of the best to some here for ulf but impressive none the less.

Hell lets just get this out of the way ALL OF MAD MAX Fury Road ( in ATMOS of course) Haha.

The first 5 mins of Unbroken always gets guests attention when all the flack starts to explode not to mention all that single and dual 50 cal. machine gun fire.

The building explosion and helicopter fight in Specter aren't that basstastic but one of the best uses of the surrounds I can think of. With Dolby upmixer on the DTS-HD track it will almost make you dizzy when that chopper starts to spin out of control.

BUT the most impressive bit of audio goodness I have heard in my room is the Atmos Star Wars Battlefront demo clip from the 2015 Atmos demo disk. I had read about how good this scene was in CES reports earlier in the year but only recently got my own copy to sample. The bass power is crazy from the emperial walker steps plus the blaster fire and orbital strikes are mid bass gold. Also all of the aircraft fly by's are as close to the real thing as I ever heard and almost as loud too.
You can prob tell I am really loving Atmos/Atmos content and even though it is weak(on movie selection) in the ULF region (5-19hz)I think it makes up for it in the volume and power of the bass that's there. I get more impact and pressurization from the 20-120hz bass and I think Atmos really elevated the volume and power of the bass in this region. I mean have you heard the John Wick club scene. That bathroom bass drop is next level loud and deep for the freq range it covers. I can output and love ULF as much as anyone and wouldn't want to be without the capability now that I have it but I personally love what Atmos brings to the table in bass volume/power and realism. Keep it coming Dolby! TOO COOL!!

Video
Having only a LG 4k 55" tv and no projector as of yet my opinions may vary from most . I'm gathering funds now for a new Oppo 4k bluray player and will then have a better shot at getting all my tv has to offer in pic quality.

I'd have to say that Gravity has to be one of the best I have seen from a 1080p bluray so far.

The absolute best pic I have seen from my Tv, even though it's only the compressed UHD web stream, is the Amazon Top Gear reboot "The Grand Tour". I have a 2015 model LG without HDR but I can definitely tell a big difference in color depth and shadow detail from the HDR recorded show. People's faces just look more real. If one of the host is hot and sweating you can see their cheeks are flushed from the color alone. It's so hyper real but not distractinglly so. Fine detail and lack pic noise stand out to me as well. Edges are just more sharp instead of the slight blur you get with standard HD. I trully hope this is a taste of whats come with all content in the future.

So I'm sure I missed some of the greats for audio and video here just listing what I have been watching/demoing lately that stands out in my mind.

Great thread, subscribed and I hope to see/add more down the road. Thanks for reading. AVS for life!!!!

Epson 5040UB-125" Silver Ticket 2.35:1-Xbox One S- HTPC JRiver MC24
Marantz av7702 - Crestron CNAMPX-12x60 Fully Bridged to 6x220 - 2_Crown Xls 2000's
Crown Xls 1500 - Qsc RMX 1450 - Qsc RMX 850 - 2_Inuke 3kDSP's - Inuke 6kDSP
Speakers}7.4.4 Atmos DIYSoundGroup HTM-12's, Volt-8's
Subs}8 SI HT-18 v.2's SBA 11hz Ported IB-Nr Fld 2_PA460 MBM's-UM18 FMarty-2_Buttkicker's
post #11 of 21 Old 12-31-2016, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Getting to know some really interesting scenes from the above comments. Keep 'em coming.

Another favourite of mine for audio would be the ending drum scene from Whiplash.
post #12 of 21 Old 01-13-2017, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mad Max fury road for sure in Atmos
My Son like's the original opening scene of 'Cars' where the cars go zipping by
And yes - Oblivion is excellent!
post #13 of 21 Old 01-13-2017, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A few more that come to mind:

- The Martian - lost of surround effects in this one
- John Wick - final fight scene
- Most of the transformers movies have their moments...lots of LFE stuff. Sadly - I've always been disappointed with the Atmos tracks and find the upmixer on my reciever does a better job.
post #14 of 21 Old 01-31-2017, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2124 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
My idea of great sound and video isn't "lots." It's when it's so skillfully done that it takes your breath away.

One example I can't forget.... Two scenes from GHOST IN THE SHELL (original). The drums at the end of the opening titles, as Col. Miyagi (?) is awakening. I have a collectors DVD with DTS-ES 6.1 sound, and it is a great demo scene. Incredible sound stage, presence, ambiance. Another scene is when she is attacking the tank at the end. When I had 6.1 set up, the gun shots and drips of water all around are amazing. Not sure about the BD, presume it's a similar mix.

The opening, in Japanese, with radio voices and static all around you, culminating with two helicopters zooming in from the rear (like Star Wars' opening) is nice. (The English track is mixed differently, not as effective to my ear.)

NEVER CRY WOLF has some great scenes with ambient sounds of the northern wilderness. Long overdue for a BD release.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-31-2017, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
The Omaha Beach landing in Saving Private Ryan, as well as the final stand in Rumel, has always been great audio from the theater to the DVD to the Blu-ray.

I'm sure the eventual UHD will sound great in ATMOS or DTS:X.
Yellbean and Phantom Stranger like this.

XBOX LIVE - Kenshiro 26
PSN | Origin - Kenshiro26
Steam | Uplay - Kenshiro_26
Battle.net - Kenshiro26#1462
post #16 of 21 Old 01-31-2017, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Beginning bomber scene from Unbroken Blu Ray. This is my favorite demo by far. This is what I use to showcase Dolby Atmos to those who have never heard of Immersive audio. Just wish they would release in Ultra Hd Blu Ray.
post #17 of 21 Old 02-01-2017, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZZZY View Post
Beginning bomber scene from Unbroken Blu Ray. This is my favorite demo by far. This is what I use to showcase Dolby Atmos to those who have never heard of Immersive audio. Just wish they would release in Ultra Hd Blu Ray.

I've heard a lot about this particular scene. yet to hear it myself.
post #18 of 21 Old 02-05-2018, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Audio

- Jurassic Park (T. Rex roar)
- Terminator 2 (T-800's motorcycle, grenade launcher, minigun)
- Stoker (subtle sounds)

Video/image (I like the look of these)

- Wanted
- Dredd
- Hobo with a Shotgun
post #19 of 21 Old 02-05-2018, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I'll add (and I'll be more specific this time), for audio, the final scene of Duel is probably my "favourite scene" ever.

Last edited by 4891ttt; 02-05-2018 at 07:00 AM.
post #20 of 21 Old 11-26-2019, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Gotta see this... Big Boy #4014 in the snow in Kansas, pulling freight
The audio of the horn blowing is awesome!!

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #21 of 21 Old 11-26-2019, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1664 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtc4 View Post
Opening scene of master and commander. (Other than that the movie stunk)
It has the best joke of all time though!
See The Light likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page