James Cameron Says No Avatar Sequel in 2018 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 135Likes

post #31 of 127 Old 03-11-2017, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5736 Post(s)
Liked: 5243
does he really need to film 4 Avatar movies concurrently?...seems like a huge undertaking...I'm sad that Cameron will be devoting the rest of his life to Avatar and we won't be getting anything else from him...his Battle Angel Alita project is being directed by Robert Rodriguez
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 127 Old 03-11-2017, 04:39 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Yeah anyone who thinks Verhoeven made Starship Troopers to promote fascism should listen to the directors commentary.
It's the Heinlein authorship: Sircar's corollary (to Godwin's Law) in action.
post #33 of 127 Old 03-11-2017, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2419 Post(s)
Liked: 3913
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
For a move which fits nicely right between Sharknado and Starship Troopers, it still wobbles my mind what everyone loved about it. It was pretty bad from beginning to end. Predictable, CGI-ey, and worst of all laden with agenda. Am I missing something?
What theater did you see it in ? This film raised the 3D bar and then some. Story was secondary, there haven't been any new stories since ancient Greece.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 127 Old 03-11-2017, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Story was secondary, there haven't been any new stories since ancient Greece.
Uh... Alien (1979)?

At any rate, Cameron could have picked a better story to recycle than Pocahontas.
thehun and goksucats like this.
post #35 of 127 Old 03-11-2017, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Funny how one of the greatest audio/video spectacles of all time gets so much hate on AVS forum. Not only that, but that's there's excessive CGI??? Seriously??? I really hate when they can't hire real life blue aliens to play the part... must not have worked that in their 237 million dollar budget.

And the story? It was never meant to have the depth and complexity of a movie such as Inception. Honestly, if it did and we saw a bunch of blue aliens running around I think we'd find it a tad ridiculous. As much as I like head-scrambling plots, I found the simplicity of the plot allowed you to take in the world James Cameron created. I also found the performances and voice acting spot on. It was meant to be a feast for the eyes and ears with a simple against-all-odds story that your kids can follow along with you. I think we should adjust our expectations accordingly.
post #36 of 127 Old 03-11-2017, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 5020 Post(s)
Liked: 6837
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFEer View Post
Uh... Alien (1979)?

At any rate, Cameron could have picked a better story to recycle than Pocahontas.
More like Ferngully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolshark920 View Post
Funny how one of the greatest audio/video spectacles of all time gets so much hate on AVS forum. Not only that, but that's there's excessive CGI??? Seriously??? I really hate when they can't hire real life blue aliens to play the part... must not have worked that in their 237 million dollar budget.

And the story? It was never meant to have the depth and complexity of a movie such as Inception. Honestly, if it did and we saw a bunch of blue aliens running around I think we'd find it a tad ridiculous. As much as I like head-scrambling plots, I found the simplicity of the plot allowed you to take in the world James Cameron created. I also found the performances and voice acting spot on. It was meant to be a feast for the eyes and ears with a simple against-all-odds story that your kids can follow along with you. I think we should adjust our expectations accordingly.

James Cameron and adjusting expectations in the same sentence is like using Excalibur to slice onions. But you are tragically correct. This IS where we are at.
goksucats likes this.
post #37 of 127 Old 03-11-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
More like Ferngully.
I don't know what kind of movie that is but isn't that some Italian swear word?
post #38 of 127 Old 03-11-2017, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 5020 Post(s)
Liked: 6837
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFEer View Post
I don't know what kind of movie that is but isn't that some Italian swear word?

"The magical inhabitants of a rainforest fight to save their home, which is threatened by logging and a polluting force of destruction called Hexxus."

I mean, if that isn't it in a nutshell, I don't know what is.

Vaffanculo! is an Italian swear word.

post #39 of 127 Old 03-11-2017, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Yeah that's one thing that it is "simplistic" it is another to essentially copy well and lesser known "stories" out there all to drive home his well known environmental agenda. He already done that with a far better and original story of the "Abyss" . Yes Cameron's contribution of the last 2 decades is really about new technologies of the film making craft, but severely lacks in the story telling department something that Directors should adhere foremost, at least that's been the idea .
goksucats likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #40 of 127 Old 03-12-2017, 04:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1365 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Yay Pocahontas in Space part 2.

I must say the first one is amazing on my OLED tablet so looking forward to see how Mr Cameron will up the game for the sequels.
goksucats likes this.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #41 of 127 Old 03-12-2017, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

Seems like some (most?) of it is coming from the crowd who doesn't believe climate change is real or is contributed to by human activity. (How many posts have alluded to or mentioned the word 'agenda' now?) The movie's story, while certainly not the greatest of all time, was at least engaging enough for some to cause depression after seeing it. And with regards to audio and video, the movie is top-notch.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movi...r.movie.blues/
captainbrent likes this.
post #42 of 127 Old 03-12-2017, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
James Cameron and adjusting expectations in the same sentence is like using Excalibur to slice onions. But you are tragically correct. This IS where we are at.
Haha, great analogy and point taken!
post #43 of 127 Old 03-12-2017, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimg1453 View Post
Quote: I’m confident that many people will experience the Avatar sequels in 3D HDR VR using their smartphones.

Who in their right mind would watch this type of epic film on a 4 inch phone. Very lame in my opinion.

Kim
I think you're underestimating the future of technology here... Smartphones just might end up being the best way to watch movies in the future.

Who the hell has a 4" smartphone in 2018?

I'm thinking more like a 5.7" 4K S-AMOLED HDR Samsung display.

* Absolute 0 nit black level
* Infinite on/off, native and ANSI contrast
* Very high brightness, HDR compatability
I don't know about colours but they should be able to get close to D65

Now add a VR headset that places this gorgeous 5.7" display a couple of inches away from your eyes and you'll have a pseudo experience close to what you would get on the third row from a giant 60-foot screen, except this display has OLED-HDR picture quality.

Then plug in a great pair of IEMs like the Audeze iSine20 or something from UE or JH. and you have pristine sound quality to match. a $100,000 experience for 1% of that cost
post #44 of 127 Old 03-12-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 558
I personally cannot wait for Avatar 2. the orginal took a quantum leap in terms of picture quality and CGI rendering. the movie came out 8 years ago, and honestly I think it is the second best blu-ray ever made in terms of PQ. Only surpassed (marginally) by the Life of Pi. Movies like Interstellar and TDK:R with their 1.85:1 15/70mm IMAX scenes are on par, but they only make up roughly 40% (1 hour) of those movies while Avatar maintains its world class picture throughout the entire length of the film.

Now imagine if Avatar 2 comes out in 2019 and is equally as impressive as its prequel in 2009. CGI so good we won't see anything better until the end of 20s.. Yes please.
post #45 of 127 Old 03-12-2017, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbear View Post
I still buy 3D blurays and watch at home, and go to the theater to watch the latest blockbuster in 3D.....did it really leave?

Not it theaters by any means which boggles my mind whey they did away with it in home.
post #46 of 127 Old 03-12-2017, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 297
No one cares about Avatar 2. Movie stunk anyway. How about Titanic 2: Jacks Revenge?! Anything in the works?
thehun and goksucats like this.
post #47 of 127 Old 03-12-2017, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
These days people might be more interested in a proper anamorphic, 480p release of The Abyss than an Avatar sequel ..oh wait, it's 2017, make it a Blu-ray then I'm guessing 4K will be ready for the 50th anniversary, I'm not even sure I'll be alive by then....
ADU likes this.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.

Last edited by Morpheo; 03-12-2017 at 02:54 PM.
post #48 of 127 Old 03-12-2017, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 465 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9382 Post(s)
Liked: 16632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
These days people might be more interested in a proper anamorphic, 480p release of The Abyss than an Avatar sequel ..oh wait, it's 2017, make it a Blu-ray then I'm guessing 4K will be ready for the 50th anniversary, I'm not even sure I'll be alive by then....
So many great movies never made it to Blu-ray, it's sad. It's fair to guess that quite a few awesome movies will never make it onto a 4K disc of any kind.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #49 of 127 Old 03-12-2017, 11:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by turts85 View Post
'I' don't care about Avatar 2
Mate, I corrected your post...see the quote above!

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo UDP-203 | Roon ROCK Music Server | ATV4K | Vero 4K+ | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1's | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2) | GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra | Unraid NAS 40TB

Last edited by captainbrent; 03-12-2017 at 11:39 PM.
post #50 of 127 Old 03-13-2017, 01:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
What theater did you see it in ? This film raised the 3D bar and then some. Story was secondary, there haven't been any new stories since ancient Greece.

I used to live next door to a guy who was building a hot rod in his garage. His goal was 600whp out of a turbo 4 banger, and he spent much of his free time wrenching on the chassis of the DODGE NEON it was going in. Yeah, that's right, a mint green with purple tint DODGE NEON. When he was done, if he ever finished, he likely would have had tens of thousands of dollars into a DODGE NEON with a broken front lip (from hitting my dog, none the less) and a driver's seat full of beer farts. It would be the fastest, loudest, most expensive mint green, purple tinted, beer farty DODGE NEON on the planet.....and guess what, it would still suck, because it was a......
goksucats likes this.

HT: KEF Reference 1 - Anthem AVM60 & MCA525 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra
Office 2CH: KEF LS50 - Crown - Bluesound
Stage: Allen & Heath Dlive s5000 - Westone AMPRO 30 - AKG mics - Crown Amps
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
post #51 of 127 Old 03-13-2017, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
I can't believe the disrespect Avatar has garnered in this thread. Avatar was the first film to get full CGI characters right with nuanced facial features (and not looking like stone face characters) and advanced shooting angles. Every CGI movie since has copied Cameron's techniques as standards.

What Blu-ray look better reference quality than Avatar? Take any 4K Blu-ray and play it against Avatar on an Oppo 105d on a LG G6 and it will lose.

Avatar, Titanic, Aliens, Abyss, T2, T1, True Lies.. stop it.. the man has done nothing but make technically exciting movies his entire career, Cameron is the Steve Jobs of films.
post #52 of 127 Old 03-13-2017, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post

Avatar, Titanic, Aliens, Abyss, T2, T1, True Lies.. stop it.. the man has done nothing but make technically exciting movies his entire career, Cameron is the Steve Jobs of films.
Oh I agree, but where are Abyss and True Lies Blu-rays? These technically exciting movies should have been released long ago on High Definition. But here we are, 20+ years later, and the only option to watch them at home is on a non-anamorphic dvd! Simply unwatchable by today's standards. Even more frustrating is that they are from a director constantly thriving on technical excellence.

I do think though, that 10 years is a lot of time to deliver a sequel to Avatar, I mean after all this time do we still care? Hopefully yes, but I'm not sure.
thehun likes this.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #53 of 127 Old 03-13-2017, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2845 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull0669 View Post
I hope that 3D comes back I really enjoy it
52 movies on the agenda for the next few years and plenty on the shelves. Where did you think it went ?

3D has been dying for 20 years according to the naysayers , but that is more a wish that has never come true.

When 3D glasses free happens, my guess it will become the standard.We see real life in 3D not 2D.

It only works on a large screen in a dedicated theater, that's the problem. Then again I feel the same about 2D movies as well if I want to be immersed, everything else is
just TV IMHO.
Pitbull0669 likes this.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #54 of 127 Old 03-13-2017, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrent View Post
Mate, I corrected your post...see the quote above!

Well I'm not alone in this matter but thanks for taking my opinion and making it fit your agenda better. Avatar is probably one of the worst CGI and movie plots I have ever watched. Sorry MATE but its boring and a mediocre movie at best. Only thing its good for is 3D which is dying anyway, just like I hope the dreams of an Avatar 2 are.
post #55 of 127 Old 03-13-2017, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by turts85 View Post
Well I'm not alone in this matter but thanks for taking my opinion and making it fit your agenda better. Avatar is probably one of the worst CGI and movie plots I have ever watched. Sorry MATE but its boring and a mediocre movie at best. Only thing its good for is 3D which is dying anyway, just like I hope the dreams of an Avatar 2 are.
But, you aren't getting the point, you said "no one cares", which isn't true, by a long shot. You didn't like 1 but that is only your opinion and maybe others but certainly not "no one", as you are implying. You don't have the right to speak for me, or anyone else, only for yourself, so please quantify your statements.

By the way, how is it you already know that you, or "no one" else, will not like 2, do you have an inside line? Didn't think so! Pass your judgement when the time comes MATE!
vipergts2207 and SandstormGT like this.

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo UDP-203 | Roon ROCK Music Server | ATV4K | Vero 4K+ | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1's | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2) | GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra | Unraid NAS 40TB
post #56 of 127 Old 03-13-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Leong View Post
I can't believe the disrespect Avatar has garnered in this thread.
That happens to every movie.
thehun likes this.
post #57 of 127 Old 03-13-2017, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
For a move which fits nicely right between Sharknado and Starship Troopers, it still wobbles my mind what everyone loved about it. It was pretty bad from beginning to end. Predictable, CGI-ey, and worst of all laden with agenda. Am I missing something?
Nope. The movie was an atrocity brought to us by the man who was inexplicably also responsible for The Terminator, The Abyss, True Lies, and Aliens. I still say aliens kidnapped James Cameron before Titanic and stuck an imposter in his place who has brought us trash like Titanic and Avatar since.

Incidentally, comparing Avatar to Starship Troopers is an insult to Starship Troopers. Lol
thehun and adrummingdude like this.

Sony XBR65X930C / Sony UBP-X800 UltraHD Blu-ray Player/ Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD / PS4 Pro / Onkyo TX-RZ830 / Paradigm Premier 600C /Paradigm Titan Monitor V5/Paradigm Atom Monitor V5/ Paradigm CI Home H65 In-ceiling Atmos/ HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Subwoofer

Last edited by goksucats; 03-13-2017 at 11:07 AM.
post #58 of 127 Old 03-13-2017, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDeg View Post
2019 would be appropriate then. 10-year anniversary of the first flick.

It is rather ridiculous though how long this has taken.
It took him 15 years to create that stain on his reputation the original Avatar, not sure why this would surprise anyone. This is clearly NOT the same James Cameron we all grew to love in the 1980's and early 1990's
thehun likes this.

Sony XBR65X930C / Sony UBP-X800 UltraHD Blu-ray Player/ Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD / PS4 Pro / Onkyo TX-RZ830 / Paradigm Premier 600C /Paradigm Titan Monitor V5/Paradigm Atom Monitor V5/ Paradigm CI Home H65 In-ceiling Atmos/ HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Subwoofer
post #59 of 127 Old 03-13-2017, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The hate is because of the expectations. Special effects are nice, but James Cameron has given us some of the best science fiction films, special effects be damned.

Avatar took him over a decade.. A DECADE!!!!! And the plot was obscenely atrocious. Yes.. I expected more from James Cameron cause of what he has brought us in the past, which is what makes it all the more awful.
thehun and Tack like this.

post #60 of 127 Old 03-13-2017, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked: 3277
To all of you who feel you could've done better than Mr. Cameron (or any of the other directors you've chosen to malign), please let me know when your epic, top-grossing summer blockbuster premieres.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion

Tags

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page